DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Religion, Politics and World Events (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events-47/)
-   -   Can we talk about this whole ID thing some more? I needed NOTHING to vote. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events/393881-can-we-talk-about-whole-id-thing-some-more-i-needed-nothing-vote.html)

Th0r S1mpson 11-02-04 11:29 AM

Can we talk about this whole ID thing some more? I needed NOTHING to vote.

It felt funny... I just walked in, told them my name and my wife's name and we walked up to the machine and voted. Is that seriously it? No driver's livence, not even a voter registration card, no photo id... nothing. I asked the lady twice and she insisted all she had to do was find my name on the list.

Something is seriously wrong here. I could have put on a hat and voted for my neighbors, or the 20 other people's names on that page that I read while she was looking mine up. There are some immigrants here who might appreciate a tip. Obviously I have too much respect for the value of a vote to do so, but with all the accusations out there of false registrations etc, this is NOT the best we can do.

Seriously... this is just <i>inviting</i> fraud attempts. I still don't believe it really. My name, that's all I gave. Is my polling place incompetent or is that all there is to it? I remember the discussions in the past but I swear you at least needed to bring in your voter card or a bill with your name and address or something.

Has it always been this way?

bfrank 11-02-04 11:30 AM

Yeap - we need a law that you must have ID. It ends all this stuff that we have in Ohio with people in polling places challenging people as they vote.

Chew 11-02-04 11:31 AM

Gave my name and address and got the ballot. No ID or utility bill or anything.

RevLiver 11-02-04 11:31 AM

I have to agree. You should have to bring your voter registration card. Since you're supposed to get one when you register, all registered voters should have one. That eliminates the cries of discrimination against immigrants, those without drivers licenses, those without any credit or utility bills in their name.

Groucho 11-02-04 11:32 AM

Originally posted by Chew
Gave my name and address and got the ballot. No ID or utility bill or anything.
How about a utility belt?

Groucho 11-02-04 11:33 AM

Originally posted by RevLiver
I have to agree. You should have to bring your voter registration card. Since you're supposed to get one when you register, all registered voters should have one. That eliminates the cries of discrimination against immigrants, those without drivers licenses, those without any credit or utility bills in their name.
Seriously, how many people here...especially those who registered a long time ago and haven't moved recently...still have their voter registration card and knows where it is?

VinVega 11-02-04 11:35 AM

I had to show ID when I voted. And this is Florida for Pete's sake! ;)

CRM114 11-02-04 11:36 AM

Did you have to sign? Every time I voted, I was asked my name. They found it in a huge book. The book has my info and a signature. I have to sign next to the signature and they verify it. (The signature on file is from 15 years ago and looks little like my sig now)

In the primary, I was asked for ID but I presumed it was because I moved and was new to the precinct. We'll see today.

Goblincat 11-02-04 11:38 AM

Originally posted by Groucho
Seriously, how many people here...especially those who registered a long time ago and haven't moved recently...still have their voter registration card and knows where it is?
I keep mine in my car along with my registration and proof of insurance, so I always know where it is.

nevermind 11-02-04 11:39 AM

:wave:

Has always been in my wallet.

Goblincat 11-02-04 11:40 AM

I didn't need to provide any ID, but I did have to fill out a small form that asked for name, signature, address, and date of birth. Then I had to show that to a lady who looked me up in the book and crossed my name out. Then I turned the paper over to the lady watching the booths before I voted.

Chew 11-02-04 11:45 AM

How about a utility belt?
I left it at home with my cape.

Canis Firebrand 11-02-04 11:51 AM

Originally posted by Goblincat
I didn't need to provide any ID, but I did have to fill out a small form that asked for name, signature, address, and date of birth. Then I had to show that to a lady who looked me up in the book and crossed my name out. Then I turned the paper over to the lady watching the booths before I voted.
Ditto.

I'm glad I didn't need the registration card, because I never got one in the mail. I was prepared to show my drivers license though and had assumed I would have to.

But all I had to do was what Goblincat posted.

It was interesting though.
The book where she checked my name, had a sticker which the woman gave to another worker that had a book that had the ballot number I was given and my sticker was palced. I guess that is how they keep track of who had what ballot.

Th0r S1mpson 11-02-04 11:52 AM

Originally posted by Vryce
But all I had to do was what Goblincat posted.
Well, that's better than Washington State at least.

mikehunt 11-02-04 11:52 AM

I had to sign next to my name in the book which had a photocopy of my signature from the regsitration form. I could have faked it if I looked at the existing sig hard enough and went slow

Michael T Hudson 11-02-04 11:53 AM

I have my card took it with me to vote early.

Tazwolff 11-02-04 12:11 PM

I voted via absentee this year. But the last time I went to my polling place to vote we needed to show our registration card and photo ID. Id like for us to have a national citizen ID card that proves who we are and that we are citizens. This year though my friends are telling me that neither ID or registration card are required this election from what theyve seen this morning, why is that?

Bushdog 11-02-04 12:13 PM

Originally posted by Tazwolff
Id like for us to have a national citizen ID card that proves who we are and that we are citizens.
Wow, that's scary stuff.

JasonF 11-02-04 12:17 PM

We get a new one in the mail every year (or at least, every year where there's an election). I had no idea wher emine was, but fortunately, my wife is on top of things and had both of ours ready to go.

At the polls, they looked at our voter registration cards and our drivers licenses. Then they had us sign something and compared the signature to a big book they had with the signatures of all the registered voters in the ward.

My polling place had two wards voting there. Both were more crowded than usual, but the other ward had a line stretching out the door. :eek:

I messed up my ballot -- I accidentally voted to retain a judge I meant to vote against -- but since I had already voted in 60 other judicial retention elections by that point, I decided to let it go.

nevermind 11-02-04 12:18 PM

Originally posted by JasonF

I messed up my ballot -- I accidentally voted to retain a judge I meant to vote against -- but since I had already voted in 60 other judicial retention elections by that point, I decided to let it go.

He's going to be the one that sends you down the river :D

Pistol Pete 11-02-04 12:25 PM

Here's the process I went through:

1) show ID
2) sign pre-printed form verifying my information
3) lookup and check off my name on the voter roll

Only then did I get to vote.

According to the posted signs I could have used the following for ID: driver's license, state ID card, birth certificate, utility bill with name and address, passport, naturalization papers, any gov't or state issued picture id (including work id), student id with picture, payroll check stub with name and address.

If you don't have any of those, you may still vote a provisional ballot and bring any of the above to the election committee for a certain period after the election.

Not bad for a hick southern state.

taa455 11-02-04 12:38 PM

That about sums it up for me too, Pete. Voted in Tennessee.

das Monkey 11-02-04 12:46 PM

Groucho

:wave:

ID was pretty strict where I voted. The guy in front of me had just moved from Pennsylvania and had an out-of-state license, so they had him go back to his car and get his registration card and a bill to his new apartment.

I had to show ID, then they looked me up on the roll, then I filled out a form and signed it, I had to show ID again and they compared that with another roll where they marked me as having voted, and then I got to vote.

das

Groucho 11-02-04 12:48 PM

Here in Utah they send you a flimsy paper card that you never need to show...and they only send it to you ONCE (when you register or re-register after a move). So if they suddenly required it a lot of people would be left out in the cold.

nevermind 11-02-04 12:50 PM

Here in Utah they send you a flimsy paper card that you never need to show...and they only send it to you ONCE (when you register or re-register after a move). So if they suddenly required it a lot of people would be left out in the cold.
Ours is a simple flimsy paper card, too. But IMO it just makes it easier to put in my wallet that way. Doesn't really take up any space. We do get ours quite often, though. Maybe once every 2 or 3 years, unless there's a redistricting.