Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Can we talk about this whole ID thing some more? I needed NOTHING to vote.

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Can we talk about this whole ID thing some more? I needed NOTHING to vote.

Old 11-02-04, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There was a guy at my polling location who, when asked for his ID, starting screaming about voter disenfranchisement and threatening to sue.

They gave him a ballot and he voted, without ever showing anything or even giving his name. He didn't even sign anything.

Congratulations, dems. Your "charge voter intimidation even if none exists" campaign worked without a hitch.
Old 11-02-04, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Tazwolff
Id like for us to have a national citizen ID card that proves who we are and that we are citizens.
We already have one. It's called a passport.

I haven't voted yet (planning to go in an hour or so to hopefully miss any lunchtime crowd) but I'm taking my voter registration card, driver's license, SS card, passport, a utility bill, and my GBA. I doubt I'll actually need any of this, but I'm not taking any chances.
Old 11-02-04, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by reservoirdog
There was a guy at my polling location who, when asked for his ID, starting screaming about voter disenfranchisement and threatening to sue.

They gave him a ballot and he voted, without ever showing anything or even giving his name. He didn't even sign anything.

Congratulations, dems. Your "charge voter intimidation even if none exists" campaign worked without a hitch.
He's probably off to the next polling place right now.
Old 11-02-04, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by nevermind
He's probably off to the next polling place right now.
I should have followed him....but I went to Best Buy instead.

I do have my priorities.
Old 11-02-04, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

All I had to do was tell them my name and sign next to it in the book.
Old 11-02-04, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by CRM114

In the primary, I was asked for ID but I presumed it was because I moved and was new to the precinct. We'll see today.
Under PA law, you are required to provide ID the first time you vote in a new voting precinct.
Old 11-02-04, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Groucho
Seriously, how many people here...especially those who registered a long time ago and haven't moved recently...still have their voter registration card and knows where it is?
in my wallet. but i registered here this year
Old 11-02-04, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I registered this year and had to show my ID. Can't say it offended me. I would prefer everyone to always have to show some ID. I'm a libertarian, but I certainly support 1 person (1 person who is legally eligible to vote) 1 vote. ID can help that.
Old 11-02-04, 05:06 PM

In Texas you have to show your Voter Registration card, or they have to look you up in the big book and see some government issued ID. Then you have to sign the book. At least in my precinct you did, I believe that's the rule everywhere in Texas though.
Old 11-02-04, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I registered in a new precinct this year, but didn't have to show any ID at the poll. I just gave them my name and they gave me a ballot.

Then I went to Fedex to pick up a package. I had to give them the pickup notice left at my house, give them my ID, and sign for the package.
Old 11-02-04, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ours is a flimsy paper card. I got one last time I registered (and then never got sample ballots). This time I didn't get one, but got my absentee ballot and all the other crap they send you. I do have to sign the inside envelope when I send my absentee ballot.
Old 11-02-04, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I had to show my ID and voter registration card. to Florida.