Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Whoever loses...

Old 11-02-04, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Whoever loses...

Bush or Kerry, are you hoping that they lose graciously?? I'm supporting Bush but if he loses I hope he just loses and rides off into the sunset. If Kerry loses I hope he does the same. I just don't think months and months of being all lawyered up and counting votes recounting votes and recounting them again only for more lawyers to come in and sue wont accomplish anything
Old 11-02-04, 02:43 AM

Yes. I also hope that whoever wins does so decisively enough to make any vote counting and lawsuits moot.
Old 11-02-04, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

i think if kerry loses, he will cry in the corner.

if bush loses, he will cry on his dad's shoulder.
Old 11-02-04, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Well by "lose" you mean, really really lose. I think that if there is any doubt on who won a certain state, that they should by all means contest it and get it as accurate as possible. Now this may mean that the person who is contesting it would be viewed as a cry baby, but I want to make sure that every vote counts.
Old 11-02-04, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't think that's what he meant Jack. I think it was more like he wants to hear a concession speech as soon as FOX News declares the winner.

I don't want to go through recounts unless necessary, but I also don't want to see the loser ride off into the sunset. I'd rather see them pull a Howard Dean. GRAUUUUUUGGGGHHHHHHH!
Old 11-02-04, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I totally forgot about the concession speeches. That seems so old school, I didn't even think about it. It's an interesting question: Will we hear a concession speech tomorrow night?

After the Gore concession debacle, I don't think so unless it's a complete blowout.
Old 11-02-04, 03:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't even care about the size of the loss, as long as there isnt some blatant widespread fraund, whoever loses should just take the loss. We aren't going to advance anything by having weeks or months of lawyers. If Bush wins this way the other side will just be crying for another 4 years that he stole another one. If Kerry wins the other side will starting crying that he stole one as revenge for 2000. Does that accomplish anything? No! A clean loss and concession is the only way to advance past this all. At worst just have a recount whoever wins the recount wins, sans all the lawyers bickering over whats a valid vote, whats a hanging chad, etc.

Another good thing that should happen is have the winner reach over party lines for some members of their administration...more so than the usual token Secretary of Something Meaningless
Old 11-02-04, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Well by "lose" you mean, really really lose. I think that if there is any doubt on who won a certain state, that they should by all means contest it and get it as accurate as possible. Now this may mean that the person who is contesting it would be viewed as a cry baby, but I want to make sure that every vote counts.
Every vote won't count once the lawyers get involved and contest results. Each side will try to eliminate as many votes for the other man as they can
Old 11-02-04, 04:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just don't go thinking that if Bush ends up falling narrowly behind that we woun't go through the same thing as last time.
Old 11-02-04, 04:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by IMRICKJAMES
Every vote won't count once the lawyers get involved and contest results. Each side will try to eliminate as many votes for the other man as they can
So then what's the point? I think some grounds to question or recount to get a proper estimate in those states that are close is fair. But yeah, I think dragging it out more then needed may be a little off.

With the election coming very close, I really do hope that no station jumps the gun *ahem* fox news *ahem*
Old 11-02-04, 04:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If Bush looses, he'll bow out graciously. Then on Jan 20, he'll go back to his ranch and that'll be it.

If Kerry loses, he'll scream and cry and whine and sue about it for years to come. Just look at Gore.
Old 11-02-04, 05:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
So then what's the point? I think some grounds to question or recount to get a proper estimate in those states that are close is fair. But yeah, I think dragging it out more then needed may be a little off.

With the election coming very close, I really do hope that no station jumps the gun *ahem* fox news *ahem*
I agree with you there. I'm not saying no one should question or recount I'm saying just leave the lawyers out of it. If a recount is necessary just recount the votes and get it over with. Lawyers saying this vote is good this vote is bad will mess things up more than if no recount took place
Old 11-02-04, 05:37 AM
Banned

I think both would be OK being as both are fucking rich. I see them blowing their noses on 100 bills if they lose.
Old 11-02-04, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk God

I hope they lose graciously. Gore let the Shit Genie out of the bottle and it was not good for the country. But, it is that sense of outrage that the ABB group has that I would like to see the Baby Killer win, so that I can have 4 years of blind hatred and not worry about how stupid it is.

Jane Fonda for Secretary of Defense!!!
Old 11-02-04, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
Originally posted by Mole177
i think if kerry loses, he will cry in the corner.

if bush loses, he will cry on his dad's shoulder.
Interesting, I heard on Imus this morning that the candidates really do cry. Chris Matthews (I think it was him) said he was with Carter in 1980 and that you could see how painful it was to him. These candidates have been out there for almost a year, pouring their heart and soul into this one moment. The election will either validate their efforts or be like a punch to the gut. I couldn't imagine going through that kind of emotional wringer.
Old 11-02-04, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I hope there is not alot of legal actions taken by lawyers on either side. I am more worried about how the supporters will take the loss rather than the candidates themselves. There are going to be ALOT of pissed off Kerry supporters spouting endless gloom and doom about how this country is in the crapper, etc. (or vice versa)
Old 11-02-04, 10:39 AM

To quote a recent movie tagline:

WHOEVER WINS, WE LOSE
Old 11-02-04, 12:04 PM

Originally posted by darkflounder
If Bush looses, he'll bow out graciously. Then on Jan 20, he'll go back to his ranch and that'll be it.

If Kerry loses, he'll scream and cry and whine and sue about it for years to come. Just look at Gore.
Oh please with the partisan hackery. Like Smuggy McBush does anything graciously. Whichever of these two tools wins, if the vote is at all close the other one will act like a punk.
Old 11-02-04, 12:08 PM

Go back to the ranch? The one he bought in 1999? Let's not act like it's anything more than a prop to make him look like a common man. As if he's some hard-workin' rancher who took four years off from the family homestead to head to Washington to do his civic duty. Bush will "go back to his ranch" if he loses just like Kerry will spend his time goose hunting in the event of a loss.
Old 11-02-04, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Do you ever fucking stop?
Old 11-02-04, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Gore accepted defeat rather graciously for a time.

I think both Bush or Kerry will accept defeat without too much rancor.

I don't believe either man wants to see a repitition of 2000.
Old 11-02-04, 12:13 PM

If the results were flipped in 2000, you think Bush would have just "bowed out graciously"? HA HA HA. He would have fought just as hard as Gore did.

Your partisan slip is showing.
Old 11-02-04, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Gore accepted defeat for about thirty minutes, then rescinded it. If you believe you won, then stand by that belief, but to do what Gore did was quite tacky, to say they least.
I was wondering the same, if we'll have a sore loser/ungracious winner pair. If Kerry wins, he certainly can't pull a Clinton and call it a mandate by any means--almost every pro-Kerry writing I've read has said something like 'I'm voting for Kerry, but he only sucks a little less than Bush.' So I hope he and the media don't spin a Kerry victory into some big mass of support from the public, because he doesn't have it.
And the same for Bush. There are a lot of conservatives voting for Bush who are disappointed in his commitment to conservatism, and will probably let Bush know if he wins, so that's not going to be a mandate of support either.
Old 11-02-04, 12:45 PM

Originally posted by dtcarson
Gore accepted defeat for about thirty minutes, then rescinded it. If you believe you won, then stand by that belief, but to do what Gore did was quite tacky, to say they least.
Kerry has stated that in the event of a repeat of the Florida fiasco (or something similar), he will declare victory immediately. Of course, that didn't make the conservatives happy either. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Same goes for the Dems response if the results are flipped.
And the same for Bush. There are a lot of conservatives voting for Bush who are disappointed in his commitment to conservatism, and will probably let Bush know if he wins, so that's not going to be a mandate of support either.
I do recall Bush calling his election in 2000 a "mandate."
Old 11-02-04, 01:36 PM
Moderator Emeritus

This won't be a repeat of 2000. No way in fuck that it will be that close.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.