Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Do most people vote along party lines?

Old 11-02-04, 12:16 AM

Do most people vote along party lines?

This has probably come up, I didn't find it in my half-assed search, but do most of you -- registered for a particular party, vote along with your party lines?

e.g. You vote for Bush because you're republican or Kerry because you're a democrat?

I am registered green at the moment, but voting for Kerry (and ashamed to say so) because I can't deal with Bush any longer. But, what has prompted the question, I wonder how many people just simply say, 'he's a republican and so am I, so I will vote for him' and give it no further thought.

I recognize that this is worded as a poll, in addition to the fact that it has probably been brought up before, but don't care for polls and welcome your flames.
Old 11-02-04, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think many people (in general) tend to vote party line. I think a lot of people here don't, although some do ( I believe Pharoh has stated that he will and has voted straight Republican).

I'm a registered Republican (though I would've chosen Independent, but then I can't vote in primaries), and I voted R for pres, but D for state positions.

birrman54
Old 11-02-04, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm voting for 3 democrats, the rest Republican. My wife and I sat down separately and went through all the choices, then compared notes. We only disagree on one partisan candidate (one extra Dem for her) and one non-partisan (judge).

I gave the 3rd party candidates a fair shot but in the end they were pretty much idiots. See my other thread on that.
Old 11-02-04, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What's the deal about registering with a political party in order to vote? Personally [unless I was actively working for a political party], <i>regardless</i> of whether I was R or D, I wouldn't register with either of them.

I know that by being a registered voter you get to vote in primaries, but to me I'd rather vote for the guy who would make the better president - even if that meant crossing 'party' lines -rather than supporting the party with the weaker Presidential candidate.
Old 11-02-04, 12:45 AM

Originally posted by naughty jonny
What's the deal about registering with a political party in order to vote? Personally [unless I was actively working for a political party], <i>regardless</i> of whether I was R or D, I wouldn't register with either of them.

I know that by being a registered voter you get to vote in primaries, but to me I'd rather vote for the guy who would make the better president - even if that meant crossing 'party' lines -rather than supporting the party with the weaker Presidential candidate.
I'm a bit confused by your statements, you make it sound like there are only two parties (which for practical purposes there are) and that you would have to register with them.

However, I completely share your sentiment in voting for the strongest candidate. I think the primary thing is BS. I would love to know the history behind it because in my lifetime it has seemed like a means for the media to latch onto one horse and come up with a story for them. The elections seem, to me, to be treated as a pagaent or heavyweight fight where you want "A" vs "B" and for nothing to get in the way of that.
Old 11-02-04, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I vote party lines. You're never just voting for one man, you're voting for the party which includes the president and all his staff and all the judges he appoints and such and such. The "voting for the candidate you like best" seems like a noble idea but in reality you are voting for that party's political philosophy more than the man. That is in my opinion.
Old 11-02-04, 08:16 AM
Admin-Thanos

I normally vote party lines. I don't always. I voted for Republicans a few times. Regretted it once. This year, I voted straight Demo, except for State Representitive, where I voted for the Libertarian candidate because there was nobody else running against the Republican candidate.
Old 11-02-04, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This year I voted for candidates from 3 different parties
Old 11-02-04, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk God

If you've voted for only one Republican (national, state, & local) in 44 years - would that indicate that you vote along party lines?
Old 11-02-04, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have not voted straight party lines once yet. Many republican, but a few democrats here and there. When I vote today, I will cast my first vote for a Libertarian, Jerry Kohn for US Senate. Alan Keyes is absolutely insane and the Illinois GOP needs to get through today, which should signify rock bottom. They are in fucking shambles in this state, and Keyes, IMO, was just the exclamation point.
Old 11-02-04, 08:53 AM
Admin-Thanos

Originally posted by classicman2
If you've voted for only one Republican (national, state, & local) in 44 years - would that indicate that you vote along party lines?
Except this year. I'd try to buy your vote, but I don't know what size artificial knee you take.
Old 11-02-04, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk God

For the second election in a row I didn't vote for the Democratic candidate for President.

I didn't vote for the Republican candidate either.
Old 11-02-04, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I always mix it up at the local level, based on what I know of the candidates. Party usually means less there. Also, a general heuristic I use for things like comptroller and attorney general is that if I'm generally happy with the state of things, there's no harm in voting for the incumbent.
Old 11-02-04, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
I'm registered Independent, voted Democrat for President, Congress and County Freeholder and Republican for Borough Council. The Republicans have controlled the Borough Council in my town for 20+ years, about 15 of them with no Democrats on the Council at all. The Republicans are friends of my family and they have honestly done a lot for my town, especially improving roads and recreational opportunities.

I used to vote third party for County Freeholder, especially when there were candidates proposing eliminating the positions, but this year we have no third party candidates for Freeholder.
Old 11-02-04, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I would have voted Demo if John Kerry wasnt running for President... but unfortunately he is.....

Bush all the way
Old 11-02-04, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk God

I think a lot do, particularly in local/state elections where they know nothing about the candidates. This is why I advocate removing party affiliations from the ballot - it would force people to do a little research.
Old 11-02-04, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

About the only Democrat I'd vote for President would be Zell Miller. Besides the fact that he's currently the Republican Party darling, he's the ONLY senator that has proposed repealing the 17th Amendment, which I am very much for.
Old 11-02-04, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk God

he's the ONLY senator that has proposed repealing the 17th Amendment, which I am very much for.
The repeal of the 17th Amendment is the only constitutional amendment I would support.
Old 11-02-04, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
Repeal the 17th? So go back to state legislatures selecting Senators? God, no, not in NJ. Not with the most corrupt state legislature in the nation. I'll trust the voice of the people more than the voice of the corrupt and empowered.
Old 11-02-04, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk God

No on 17.
Old 11-02-04, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Red Dog
No on 17.
Does that mean you support its repeal?
Old 11-02-04, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by classicman2
Does that mean you support its repeal?

What do you think?
Old 11-02-04, 10:20 AM
Premium Member

I voted along the Rep recommendations for almost all of our Props I also voted for a Rep Congressman. But I voted for Dem Senator and Pres.

So you could say I can go both ways
Old 11-02-04, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by bfrank
I voted along the Rep recommendations for almost all of our Props I also voted for a Rep Congressman. But I voted for Dem Senator and Pres.

So you could say I can go both ways
You voted for Barbara Boxer?
Old 11-02-04, 10:28 AM

When I lived in California, voting against Barbara Boxer was a rare occasion that I voted Republican at anything above a local politics level.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.