Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Bin Laden: Goal is to bankrupt U.S.

Old 11-01-04, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Bin Laden: Goal is to bankrupt U.S.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/...ape/index.html
(CNN) -- The Arabic-language network Al-Jazeera released a full transcript Monday of the most recent videotape from Osama bin Laden in which the head of al Qaeda said his group's goal is to force America into bankruptcy.

Al-Jazeera aired portions of the videotape Friday but released the full transcript of the entire tape on its Web site Monday.

"We are continuing this policy in bleeding America to the point of bankruptcy. Allah willing, and nothing is too great for Allah," bin Laden said in the transcript.

He said the mujahedeen fighters did the same thing to the Soviet Union in Afghanistan in the 1980s, "using guerrilla warfare and the war of attrition to fight tyrannical superpowers."

"We, alongside the mujahedeen, bled Russia for 10 years until it went bankrupt and was forced to withdraw in defeat," bin Laden said.

He also said al Qaeda has found it "easy for us to provoke and bait this administration."

"All that we have to do is to send two mujahedeen to the furthest point east to raise a piece of cloth on which is written al Qaeda, in order to make generals race there to cause America to suffer human, economic and political losses without their achieving anything of note other than some benefits for their private corporations," bin Laden said.

Al-Jazeera executives said they decided to post the entire speech because rumors were circulating that the network omitted parts that "had direct threats toward specific states, which was totally untrue."

"We chose the most newsworthy parts of the address and aired them. The rest was used in lower thirds in graphics format," said one official.

U.S. intelligence officials Monday confirmed that the transcript made public Monday by Al-Jazeera was a complete one.

As part of the "bleed-until-bankruptcy plan," bin Laden cited a British estimate that it cost al Qaeda about $500,000 to carry out the attacks of September 11, 2001, an amount that he said paled in comparison with the costs incurred by the United States.

"Every dollar of al Qaeda defeated a million dollars, by the permission of Allah, besides the loss of a huge number of jobs," he said. "As for the economic deficit, it has reached record astronomical numbers estimated to total more than a trillion dollars.

The total U.S. national debt is more than $7 trillion. The U.S. federal deficit was $413 billion in 2004, according to the Treasury Department.

"It is true that this shows that al Qaeda has gained, but on the other hand it shows that the Bush administration has also gained, something that anyone who looks at the size of the contracts acquired by the shady Bush administration-linked mega-corporations, like Halliburton and its kind, will be convinced.

"And it all shows that the real loser is you," he said. "It is the American people and their economy."

As for President Bush's Iraq policy, Bin Laden said, "the darkness of black gold blurred his vision and insight, and he gave priority to private interests over the public interests of America.

"So the war went ahead, the death toll rose, the American economy bled, and Bush became embroiled in the swamps of Iraq that threaten his future," bin Laden said.

U.S. government officials said Friday that the tape appeared to be authentic and recently made. It was the first videotaped message from the al Qaeda leader in nearly three years.

Say what you will about OBL, but his observations about our willingness to take the bait are pretty much right, IMHO. Somehow, in our rise to becoming a superpower, we developed this rather irrational notion that we are invincible and omnipotent. If we continue, this is ultimately going to be our downfall.
Old 11-01-04, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

OBL must be reading his democratic talking points.
Old 11-01-04, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: Bin Laden: Goal is to bankrupt U.S.

Originally posted by hahn

Say what you will about OBL, but his observations about our willingness to take the bait are pretty much right, IMHO. Somehow, in our rise to becoming a superpower, we developed this rather irrational notion that we are invincible and omnipotent. If we continue, this is ultimately going to be our downfall.
I would say that a country that was willing to dedicate 10% of its GDP (I believe that is right) to get to the moon, will not be bankrupted before it destroys every person who harbors a terrorist.

In the end, nukes are cheap, and the hell that can be unleashed by us (if we are so provoked) is enough to make every person who harbors a terrorist, beg for us to come in and shoot them.

Russia never treated Afghanistan as an all out war. Neither did we. Yet who run Bartertown now?

OBL is a Eunuch.
Old 11-01-04, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

OBL is a murderer - it is amazing that our liberal friends parrot his words and try to say that the words of a mass murderer mean something

I really can't believe people are so wacked out and don't have an ounce of dignity when they parrot his words and treat his musings like some respected international relations guru.
Old 11-01-04, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Re: Bin Laden: Goal is to bankrupt U.S.

Originally posted by kvrdave
I would say that a country that was willing to dedicate 10% of its GDP (I believe that is right) to get to the moon, will not be bankrupted before it destroys every person who harbors a terrorist.

In the end, nukes are cheap, and the hell that can be unleashed by us (if we are so provoked) is enough to make every person who harbors a terrorist, beg for us to come in and shoot them.

Russia never treated Afghanistan as an all out war. Neither did we. Yet who run Bartertown now?

OBL is a Eunuch.
kvrdave in 2008!
Old 11-01-04, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What percent of the US's GDP is spent on the military?
Old 11-01-04, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Ranger
What percent of the US's GDP is spent on the military?
3.3% as of 2/2004.

http://www.exxun.com/UnitedStates/h_ml.html

$953.01 per person in the US is spent on defense.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/mil_exp_dol_fig_cap
Old 11-01-04, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Seems to be working, unfortunately.

A huge national deficit + huge personal debt + the ordinary person's desire for tax cuts + reluctance to pay off the deficit and personal debt = recipe for disaster.

Edit: Throw this whack job into the equation where he is encouraging us to spend even more money = not good.
Old 11-01-04, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like this thread will focus on the deficit issue then. Everyone please pull out your tired, beaten-to-death arguments about the deficits.
Old 11-01-04, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by chanster
OBL is a murderer - it is amazing that our liberal friends parrot his words and try to say that the words of a mass murderer mean something

I really can't believe people are so wacked out and don't have an ounce of dignity when they parrot his words and treat his musings like some respected international relations guru.
I don't believe that dealing with OBL or terrorism should be a partisan discussion. The fact is that OBL IS a respected and highly thought of man in some parts of the world. He is also the man most directly responsible for 9/11. So while I don't parrot what he says excuse me if I listen to it, discuss it, and believe that his words do, "Mean something." You don't have to agree or believe in what someone says to get meaning out of it.
Old 11-01-04, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't believe that dealing with OBL or terrorism should be a partisan discussion.
Tell that to Michael Moore, who OBL is obviously taking notes from.
Old 11-01-04, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's pathetic how bad the media is trying to hide how much OBL came out against Bush in this tape. In many parts he doesn't refer to the US or America or zionist or anything that general, he talks about Bush or "the white house" or "this administration".

Reading the "goat book", corporations getting rich of the war, Halliburton, the deficit, huge job loses, the Patriot Act, Florida 2000. He sounded just like a raving liberal. Add in Social Security and Health care and you have the first draft of your basic Kerry speech.
Old 11-02-04, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No - you're the one who's pathetic. So, because Osama Bin Laden hates Bush, then Kerry must equal Osama Bin Laden???

Get over it.

If Osama Bin Laden opposed stem cell research, would that make Bush a fan of Bin Laden?
Old 11-02-04, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Please refrain from the personal insults and try to address the content of my post.

If you read the transcript it is very clear this was a statement trying to get people to vote against Bush. Yet it hasn't been reported that way.

Do you really think OBL cares about the deficit, or job loses, or Halliburton, or the patriot act, or Florida 2000? Do you really think OBL believes Bush reading a goat book had any impact on the success of 911?
Old 11-02-04, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by wmansir
It's pathetic how bad the media is trying to hide how much OBL came out against Bush in this tape. In many parts he doesn't refer to the US or America or zionist or anything that general, he talks about Bush or "the white house" or "this administration".
You know what is really sad? The fact that anyone would fall for any of that shit in the first place. I guess OBL would just be happy as fuck with a guy like Clinton in the White House....OH WAIT, he tried unsuccessfully to take down the towers in 1993 while Clinton was the president. And the USS Cole happened at the same time, and so did the bombing of many embassies. You think he gives a damn if it is Bush or Kerry? FUCK!!! Seeing Kerry win has so many advantages to me. One would be to ask why the fuck there is still terrorism after he is elected since OBL just wanted Bush gone.

Please excuse my rant.
Old 11-02-04, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk God

Well, both sides hate you now.

Actually, my rant was not meant to be directed at you and I hope you don't take it that way. My rant is specifically about those who believe that OBL cares who is in the White House. Either way, he will continue doing the same thing. The question for the voter to decide is who they believe will handle it better, and hopefully none of them are dumb enough to believe that either man will make peace with terrorists.
Old 11-02-04, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You think he gives a damn if it is Bush or Kerry? FUCK!!!
Of course not. What he wants to do is openly influence U.S. elections, success at which could greatly enhance his standing in the Muslim world.
Old 11-02-04, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by DivxGuy
Of course not. What he wants to do is openly influence U.S. elections, which could greatly enhance his standing in the Muslim world.
This is election is close enough (unlike Spain's), that I doubt seriously that he can really take credit either way. Those who would give him credit for something like that do not need to be persuaded to hold him in high regard anyway.
Old 11-02-04, 12:53 AM
Banned

That's OK. China will be bankrupt also.
Old 11-02-04, 02:42 AM

Originally posted by kvrdave
This is election is close enough (unlike Spain's), that I doubt seriously that he can really take credit either way. Those who would give him credit for something like that do not need to be persuaded to hold him in high regard anyway.
I think you're right about that. He'll probably try to take credit regardless of the outcome, but not much will come of that.

Also, if anything is going to bankrupt the US, it will be trying to deal with the aging and retiring baby boomer population.
Old 11-02-04, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Most experts on international terrorism agree that if bin Laden truly wanted to bankrupt the U.S. he would have issued one of his rare 20% off coupons for DeepDiscountDVD.
Old 11-02-04, 03:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Thought I would mention the video mentions OBL threatening US states that voted for Bush, and offered a "dhimmi guarantee" of safety to those that voted for Kerry. So, it appears as if it's official--OBL supports Kerry.

This is interesting, as now each US state might be targeted versus the entire nation as a whole. Kind of interesting, and it could have some major implications if OBL carries out attacks successfully in those US states which voted for Bush.

This happened back in April, when OBL allegedly released a similar demand of Europeans.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 11-02-04 at 03:44 AM.
Old 11-02-04, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DVD Polizei
Thought I would mention the video mentions OBL threatening US states that voted for Bush, and offered a "dhimmi guarantee" of safety to those that voted for Kerry. So, it appears as if it's official--OBL supports Kerry.
fyi, that was just a rumor:

Al-Jazeera executives said they decided to post the entire speech because rumors were circulating that the network omitted parts that "had direct threats toward specific states, which was totally untrue."
http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/...ape/index.html
Old 11-02-04, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

so far, so good
Old 11-02-04, 01:00 PM

I wonder, does OBL relize how large the US economy is? Actually, I get this feeling from a lot of our foreign friends; they just have no concept of how large the US economy is. The statement is absurd on those grounds alone.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.