Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Am I alone in hoping for a 269-269 tie?

Old 11-01-04, 11:07 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: frass canyon
Posts: 16,249
Am I alone in hoping for a 269-269 tie?

I'd love to see the ensuing chaos.
RoyalTea is offline  
Old 11-01-04, 11:11 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 29,921
They explained this on CNN and went thru all the probabilities, even the remote one where you could theoretically end up with Bush as president and Edwards as vp.
eXcentris is offline  
Old 11-01-04, 11:12 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 122,918
Such as?
Red Dog is offline  
Old 11-01-04, 11:12 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 68,522
I don't want to see the chaos.

I hope there is a clear-cut winner tomorrow (whoever it is) - no repeat of 2000.
classicman2 is offline  
Old 11-01-04, 11:12 AM
  #5  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 70,839
If this goes to the House, what's the new breakdown shaping up to be?
Groucho is offline  
Old 11-01-04, 11:13 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 29,921
Originally posted by Red Dog
Such as?
Are you talking to me?
eXcentris is offline  
Old 11-01-04, 11:14 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 68,522
Originally posted by eXcentris
Are you talking to me?
I believe he is.

Do you know the answer?
classicman2 is offline  
Old 11-01-04, 11:15 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 122,918
Originally posted by eXcentris
Are you talking to me?
No

Simply put, if there is no lititgation (which is a big IF), unless there is a faithless elector, there will be little chaos. The GOP controls the House (by number of state delegations) so they will put Bush in the White House. Pretty simple.

Last edited by Red Dog; 11-01-04 at 11:17 AM.
Red Dog is offline  
Old 11-01-04, 11:18 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 29,921
Originally posted by classicman2
I believe he is.

Do you know the answer?
Jesus If I'd known that there would be a quizz I would have taken notes!

It went something like in case of a tie, Senate chooses president and House chooses vp (or vice-versa, can't remember). In the unlikely scenario that thr Reps controlled the Senate and the Dems controlled the House, the Bush for president and Edwards for vp could theoretically happen. But as it stands, the Reps should retain control of both the Senate and the House.

How's that? Did I pass? Can I vote?
eXcentris is offline  
Old 11-01-04, 11:19 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 68,522
That's good, for a Canadian.
classicman2 is offline  
Old 11-01-04, 11:20 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 29,921
Originally posted by Red Dog
No

Darn, I fell into a C-man trap again.




......
eXcentris is offline  
Old 11-01-04, 11:20 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,102
Originally posted by Red Dog
No

Simply put, if there is no lititgation (which is a big IF), unless there is a faithless elector, there will be little chaos. The GOP controls the House (by number of state delegations) so they will put Bush in the White House. Pretty simple.
If Kerry wins the popular vote, but there is a tie and it goes to the House and they pick GW - I GUARANTEE that there will be chaos in the sense that you and I would probably want to get our of the DC area for a while.
orangerory is offline  
Old 11-01-04, 11:23 AM
  #13  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 122,918
Originally posted by orangerory
If Kerry wins the popular vote, but there is a tie and it goes to the House and they pick GW - I GUARANTEE that there will be chaos in the sense that you and I would probably want to get our of the DC area for a while.

I couldn't care less. Litigation bred chaos in 2000. Without it, I don't see there being much chaos and if anything, it will give everyone a nice constitutional lesson.

I just want to know if my sportsbook would pay my Bush bet in such an event or would they consider that a push.
Red Dog is offline  
Old 11-01-04, 11:23 AM
  #14  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: frass canyon
Posts: 16,249
Originally posted by Red Dog
No

Simply put, if there is no lititgation (which is a big IF), unless there is a faithless elector, there will be little chaos. The GOP controls the House (by number of state delegations) so they will put Bush in the White House. Pretty simple.
so the kerry supporters would just shut up and accept the seldom used constitutional rule of allowing the House delegations to select the president?

ha ha!
RoyalTea is offline  
Old 11-01-04, 11:23 AM
  #15  
Admin-Thanos
 
VinVega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Caught between the moon and NYC
Posts: 31,590
Re: Am I alone in hoping for a 269-269 tie?

Originally posted by RoyalTea
I'd love to see the ensuing chaos.
As most have mentioned here, there'd be little chaos, you'd just see the rules of the Constitution kick into action. The f-ed up thing would be that it would be the 2nd straight election where there were "alternative means" needed to decide on a President.
VinVega is offline  
Old 11-01-04, 11:24 AM
  #16  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 122,918
Originally posted by RoyalTea
so the kerry supporters would just shut up and accept the seldom used constitutional rule of allowing the House delegations to select the president?

ha ha!

Bitching and moaning does not equal chaos.
Red Dog is offline  
Old 11-01-04, 11:27 AM
  #17  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 36,981
carbon blobs are stupid. some would probably try to start chaos
Venusian is offline  
Old 11-01-04, 11:27 AM
  #18  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 68,522
Anything is better than getting the courts involved.

I, for one, don't want to hear about a 5-4 decision by the SC put Bush in the White House again.
classicman2 is offline  
Old 11-01-04, 12:01 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,102
Originally posted by Red Dog
Bitching and moaning does not equal chaos.
But protests and riots do!
orangerory is offline  
Old 11-01-04, 12:04 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 122,918
Originally posted by orangerory
But protests and riots do!

Protests? No. Riots? Yes. I don't see riots taking place in the event of a 269-269 tie.
Red Dog is offline  
Old 11-01-04, 12:06 PM
  #21  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Bay Area CA
Posts: 799
Well, the chaos is not in the process because it clearly states what will happen. The chaos is that we got a president elected this way. First he didn't win the popular vote and now this. I think that'll say a lot about our country and this two-term president.

People will not be happy.
Luc TC is offline  
Old 11-01-04, 12:09 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,102
Originally posted by Red Dog
Protests? No. Riots? Yes. I don't see riots taking place in the event of a 269-269 tie.
If Kerry wins the popular vote, and there is a tie, and the house votes for GWB to be president, I think it is a bit naive to think there will not be some ensuing chaos and a riot here and there. There are some extremely pissed off people from last election - they are not going to be quiet this time.

Now, I agree - the Constitution has a procedure in place - we should all agree with it. But not everyone is so respectful of our Constitutional process.
orangerory is offline  
Old 11-01-04, 12:10 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 122,918
Originally posted by Luc TC
Well, the chaos is not in the process because it clearly states what will happen. The chaos is that we got a president elected this way. First he didn't win the popular vote and now this. I think that'll say a lot about our country and this two-term president.

People will not be happy.

Again, 'not happy' does not equal 'chaos.' Will there be millions of disgruntled folks in the event of a 269-269 tie? Absolutely.
Red Dog is offline  
Old 11-01-04, 12:12 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 122,918
Originally posted by orangerory
If Kerry wins the popular vote, and there is a tie, and the house votes for GWB to be president, I think it is a bit naive to think there will not be some ensuing chaos and a riot here and there. There are some extremely pissed off people from last election - they are not going to be quiet this time.

Now, I agree - the Constitution has a procedure in place - we should all agree with it. But not everyone is so respectful of our Constitutional process.

Frankly, when it comes to riots (and their likelihood), I have far more concern for a Detroit team winning a championship than Bush winning the presidency after a 269-269 tie.
Red Dog is offline  
Old 11-01-04, 01:13 PM
  #25  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Bay Area CA
Posts: 799
Originally posted by Red Dog
Again, 'not happy' does not equal 'chaos.' Will there be millions of disgruntled folks in the event of a 269-269 tie? Absolutely.
Millions of disgrunted folks lead to protests and protests lead to some of them getting out of control.
Luc TC is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.