Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

"Strongly encouraging" employees to donate to a specific party

Old 10-31-04, 08:56 PM

"Strongly encouraging" employees to donate to a specific party

My company recently sent out an email concerning what they called "good government day". This was an off-the-clock meeting at lunch on a Friday. You were provided a list of dollar amounts and candidates, and were to bring these to the meeting. We were "strongly encouraged to attend" this meeting, even though about four or five our of three hundred chose not to. All the candidates were from one party (though I won't mention which one) ranging from the presidential candidate on down to local assembly candidates. Word 'round the campfire is that failing to participate in this even will put you in a bad light and make you be viewed as someone who isn't a team player, though to be fair nobody can point to any specific example of someone who has been hurt by not participating (though that may be because over the years very few have abstained.)

I'm just wondering if anyone else has encountered this kind of situation, what you've done if you have, what you think of it, etc. I realize that many people work at jobs where union membership is mandatory, and those unions contribute to a party that may not be the party a particular employee supports. This situation seems a bit different though. Just curious.

Last edited by Son-volt; 10-31-04 at 08:59 PM.
Old 10-31-04, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Team Player? Tell them you believe in political party choices, not a Taliban-type voting environment.

If it's just a $1 donation, go for it. But I would make an anonymous phonecall to the party who is not on that form, and explain to them what is going on. Might be kinda funny to watch the company squirm a little.

Maybe even get a copy of the email.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 10-31-04 at 09:29 PM.
Old 10-31-04, 09:25 PM

Originally posted by DVD Polizei
Team Player? Tell them you believe in political party choices, not a Taliban-type voting environment.
I'm not necessarily asking about what I should do, as I'm one of the guys who didn't cough it up. I'm just seeing what y'all think of the situation.
Old 10-31-04, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DVD Polizei
Ditto on that!

Also I would go to the gathering covered in clothing and stickers supporting the other party.
Old 10-31-04, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm assuming it is a privately-owned business? While I don't think the practice is appropriate, if it's their business, they should run it as they please.
Old 10-31-04, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Call your local newspaper and give them an anonymous tip as to the goings-on.

- David Stein
Old 10-31-04, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, that's bullshit. I wouldn't be able to work in an environment like that, personally. Don't go, and document everything on a non-work computer.
Old 10-31-04, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

never encountered that. is it a private business?
Old 10-31-04, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Duran
I'm assuming it is a privately-owned business? While I don't think the practice is appropriate, if it's their business, they should run it as they please.
What if the owners belonged to the Ku Klux Klan and wanted all their employees to attend a rally?
Old 10-31-04, 10:17 PM

Originally posted by Venusian
Yup, privately owned.
Old 10-31-04, 10:19 PM

What if the owners belonged to the Ku Klux Klan and wanted all their employees to attend a rally?
It would be as inappropriate and unethical as this meeting. Now whether either of them is actually illegal I don't know. I suspect in the case of the thread topic you could either do the take it to a local news station (although there are a lot of other considerations regarding that [the party in question, the leaning of the news station and the importance of the employer to the local area]) or lodge a complaint w/ the FEC/state election officials. WRT the theoretical KKK meeting I suspect once the news broke the NAACP and other groups would put enough pressure on the company that they would eventually be out of business. I suspect this won't be happening over this incident though as it seems to be all too common.
Old 10-31-04, 10:35 PM

Originally posted by Venusian

It is a much more common practice than many realise. I know of three companies in my area that have done this. two Republican, one Democratic.
Old 10-31-04, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Pharoh
It is a much more common practice than many realise. I know of three companies in my area that have done this. two Republican, one Democratic.
Those must be fairly small companies. I've worked at two of the largest in Cleveland - the law firm of Jones Day Reavis & Pogue, and The Cleveland Clinic Foundation - during the last two elections. Neither one even mentioned the election.

- David Stein
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Jason
Their business, their rules. I wouldn't knowlingly purchase the products of such a company, nor would I work there.

I personally find the whole thing to be pretty unethical, but my company on the whole is very unethical. This kind of thing is pretty small potatoes in the moral scheme of things. But it's where I work for now, and I'll deal with the environment for the time being because of the experience I'm getting. I was just curious how common this type of thing was, and what my fellow DVDTalkers thought of it.
Old 10-31-04, 10:53 PM

Originally posted by sfsdfd
Those must be fairly small companies. I've worked at two of the largest in Cleveland - the law firm of Jones Day Reavis & Pogue, and The Cleveland Clinic Foundation - during the last two elections. Neither one even mentioned the election.

- David Stein
This particular one is not small. It's a multi-billion dollar company, and this isn't a satellite brance or office I'm talking about, this is the corporate hq.
Old 10-31-04, 11:01 PM

Originally posted by sfsdfd

- David Stein

Two of them in the 50-125 range, the other in the +500 range.

And while not mandatory, or anywhere in the same realm as the scenario described in the by the op, there are many stories of strong arming by many companies, such as Progressive and MBNA to name but a couple in our area.
Old 10-31-04, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Pharoh
Two of them in the 50-125 range, the other in the +500 range.

And while not mandatory, or anywhere in the same realm as the scenario described in the by the op, there are many stories of strong arming by many companies, such as Progressive and MBNA to name but a couple in our area.
I can attest to MBNA doing this most definitely. I used to work there, and I can tell you that their control even goes to requiring their executives to live in a certain area. I find the whole practice unseemly and unethical.
Old 11-01-04, 11:09 AM

I guess I'm lucky to be spared this, working for a state university.

I say that with my tongue slightly in cheek, since there was a huge Kerry rally, with a performance by Bruce Springsteen, here on campus this past Thursday. I could hear it from my backyard.
Old 11-01-04, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the only reason it is different than unions is that you don't have a choice with unions.

Your money goes no matter how you may feel. There is no "strong encouragement" option.
Old 11-01-04, 11:20 AM

My company goes a step further...we have to take a company representative into the booth with us to ensure that we vote the right way.
Old 11-01-04, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Originally posted by Groucho
My company goes a step further...we have to take a company representative into the booth with us to ensure that we vote the right way.
But then they ask you to "pull the lever..."
Old 11-01-04, 04:34 PM

Originally posted by Groucho

I tried that with a couple of our secretaries, but they didn't buy it.