Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Ohio election fraud

Old 10-30-04, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ohio election fraud

Heh. This one's nasty and outrageous, but also kinda funny.

<a href="http://lawgeek.typepad.com/lawgeek/2004/10/sample_rightwin.html">link, with photo</a>

Letter sent out to Democratic voters in Ohio:
<hr>
<center><b>LAKE COUNTY BOARD OF ELECTIONS</b>
105 Main Street PO Box 490, Painesville, Ohio 44077-0490

<b>URGENT ADVISORY</B>

October 22, 2004</center>

Dear Newly Registered Voter,

The voter registration deadline passed on October 4, 2004 and we registered a record number of new voters. The demand on our office has been great and we appreciate your cooperation. Unfortunately independent efforts by the NAACP, America Coming Together, John Kerry for President and the Capri Cafaro for Congress campaigns have been illegally registering people to vote and apply for absentee ballots. This is a terrible occurrence and will undermine the process of democracy. If you have been registered by any of these entities then you may run the risk of having been illegally registered to vote. Please be advised that if you were registered in this capacity that you will not be able to vote until the next election. We apologize for these problems and we will pursue these entities to the fullest extent. Please notify the Lake County Sheriff's office if you have any questions.
<hr>
Unsigned, sent in a plain envelope with no return address.

- David Stein

Last edited by sfsdfd; 10-30-04 at 06:55 PM.
Old 10-30-04, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

what the ...... tell me this is not true...... no way
Old 10-30-04, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

...paging natesfortune to thread 393485...
Old 10-30-04, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Has to be a joke
Old 10-30-04, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

wow.

I can be nonpartisan enough to agree that this is a complete and utter disgrace.

birrman54
Old 10-30-04, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Ohio election fraud

Originally posted by sfsdfd

- David Stein
Was the above on the envelope?

Whoever sent this is a piece of carp.
Old 10-30-04, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Comment: Just a note in response to the various comments about whether this is a right-wing or liberal effort. It seems to me there are two possibilities: (1) It's a right-wing effort to suppress voting, or (2) its a liberal effort to get people fired up and vote. One is illegal and anti-democracy; the other, while perhaps ethically suspect, is actually trying to encourage democratic participation in our country's future. So no matter what you think, its important to see the differences between the two, especially in their goals and legality.
I think I broke my neck on that one.
Old 10-30-04, 08:05 PM

It wasn't me.
Old 10-30-04, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Ohio election fraud

Heh. This one's nasty and outrageous, but also kinda funny.

- David Stein
No delivery address on the envelope either. Pretty amazing it came. Nothing but a postal bar code shows. I, personally, think this was faked and the guy mailed it to himself (if you have a post office box, it's box nmber is the last digits of your 5-4 zip code and it could be delivered.
Old 10-30-04, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: Ohio election fraud

Originally posted by OldDude
No delivery address on the envelope either.
Don't be so quick to jump to a desired conclusion.

Only the top part of the envelope is shown - the photo is positioned to cut out the recipient's address. You can still see the very top of the lettering in the center of the envelope.

I thought that was obvious. I wouldn't want to put my address on the Internet, either.

- David Stein
Old 10-30-04, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Re: Ohio election fraud

No delivery address on the envelope either. Pretty amazing it came. Nothing but a postal bar code shows. I, personally, think this was faked and the guy mailed it to himself (if you have a post office box, it's box nmber is the last digits of your 5-4 zip code and it could be delivered.
Or he could have used white-out to hide his address. I wouldn't want my address posted all over the internet.
Old 10-30-04, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by BizRodian
Has to be a joke
It looks and reads awfully convincing, for a joke.

- David Stein
Old 10-30-04, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Re: Re: Ohio election fraud

Don't be so quick to jump to a desired conclusion.

Only the top part of the envelope is shown - the photo is positioned to cut out the recipient's address. You can still see the very top of the lettering in the center of the envelope.

I thought that was obvious. I wouldn't want to put my address on the Internet, either.

- David Stein
In your link is another link to a full photo side-by-side of the letter and the envelope, which is a full #10 envelope, with postage, postmark, postal bar code, and no address. Although whiteout is a possibility, the photo is sufficiently grey-scale, that I don't think whiteout was used. Check it out.

Hell, its a jpg. I'll just insert it
Old 10-30-04, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: Re: Re: Ohio election fraud

In your link is another link to a full photo side-by-side of the letter and the envelope, which is a full #10 envelope, with postage, postmark, postal bar code, and no address.
Oh, crap. My bad. The right-hand navigation bar on that page apparently moves horizontally depending on your browser size. My browser was set at a width that caused the bar to overlap the right side of the image. And since the navigation bar is just white and has no border, it wasn't apparent that I wasn't seeing part of the image. Thanks for pasting it in.

<i>However,</i> it seems pretty obvious that the guy used Photoshop to blank out the recipient's address.

Photoshop image analysis follows:

Open the image in Photoshop, and zoom in on the little bits of ink left in the middle of the envelope. They're cleanly cut off on the right-hand side: all along the same pixel, the three marks just <i>end.</i> That's exactly what would happen if you selected a block of pixels and pasted over them.

Note that they <i>are not</i> the exact same pixel color. But they <i>are</i> in the same color range as other parts of the envelope, so it's possible (quite likely) that he copied a blank space on the envelope image and pasted it over the address part. Other artifacts on the image support this: if you look underneath the "Cleveland OH" section, you can see the <i>right</i> edge of a paste block.

Finally, note that there <i>had</i> to be a recipient address. The envelope obviously went through the mail system: note the proper mail stamp ("Cleveland OH" stamp dated 25(?) Oct 2004.) If there weren't a recipient address, how did he get it <i>back</i> from the post office? It would just disappear into the Dead Letter Office.

- David Stein
Old 10-30-04, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I was assuming the postal bar code had been put on the envelope in Word. Theoretically that could be sufficient to deliver to a PO box. I always put bar codes in addresses.

However, doing some enhancement in Irfanview (I don't have Photoshop) I think I have identified the edges of a white label placed over the envelope, prior to photographing it. Since the envelop is skewed in the photo, I don't know if that could be done in Photoshop, but a real live blank address label would work. It takes a lot of screwing with gamma, contrast, and brightness to enhance the edges though.
Old 10-30-04, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was assuming the postal bar code had been put on the envelope in Word. Theoretically that could be sufficient to deliver to a PO box. I always put bar codes in addresses.
No, not the postal bar code at the bottom - I mean the postal date/location stamp at the top. It's clearly a stamp, and it's exactly the kind that the postal service uses (for one day, and in one city.)
However, doing some enhancement in Irfanview (I don't have Photoshop) I think I have identified the edges of a white label placed over the envelope, prior to photographing it.
Interesting. Not exactly the conclusion that I reached, but close enough. It's clear that it's not just a plain, blank envelope. That would be pretty stupid, anyway.

- David Stein
Old 10-30-04, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

FYI. the county has at least posted this online...

http://www.lakeelections.com/BOE/ALERT.pdf
Old 10-30-04, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by matchpenalty
FYI. the county has at least posted this online...

http://www.lakeelections.com/BOE/ALERT.pdf
Now the jokers sending them know how to make it look more official.
Old 10-30-04, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Could be some guy looking for his 15 minutes of fame. This is such a bad fake.
Old 10-31-04, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you look closely, this letter was written with Microsoft Office 2005. Check out the serif'ing on the capital "N" this did not exist in Microsoft Office October 2004
Old 10-31-04, 05:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hmmm..... i think this could be a democrat making the republican party look bad..... it sounds stupid
Old 10-31-04, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by raven56706
Hmmm..... i think this could be a democrat making the republican party look bad..... it sounds stupid
Election fraud skewing results toward Democrats = Democrat fraud.

Election fraud skewing results toward Republicans = Democrat fraud to make Republicans look bad.

Is that how it works?

- David Stein
Old 10-31-04, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

MIAMI, FL—With the knowledge that the minority vote will be crucial in the upcoming presidential election, Republican Party officials are urging blacks, Hispanics, and other minorities to make their presence felt at the polls on Wednesday, Nov. 3.

"Minority voters should make their unique voices heard, especially the African-American voting bloc, which is always a major factor in every election," said Florida Republican Party voter-drive organizer Mark Monreal, as he handed out flyers at a community center in the mostly black Miami neighborhood of South Farms. "That's why we put up hundreds of brightly colored banners featuring Martin Luther King Jr. and the 'Vote November 3' reminder. We needed to make sure they know when we want them at polling places."

"You can't walk through a black neighborhood here in Miami without seeing our 'Don't Forget Big Wednesday!' message up on a billboard, tacked to a phone booth, or taped to a bus shelter," Monreal added. "The Republican Party has spared no expense in this endeavor."

Above: Monreal urges black community
members to hit the polls next Wednesday.

GOP committees in Ohio, Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Pennsylvania, Oregon, and Florida have spent more than $3 million on pamphlets, posters, stickers, and T-shirts bearing such slogans as "Put America First—Vote On The Third!" and "November 3rd Is Your Time To Be Heard."

Monreal's group is joined by hundreds of local organizations, such as the Black Republicans For Maryland. While the Black Republicans do not actually include any black members, the group describes itself as "dedicated to communicating a strong message to members of the African-American community."

"We're aiming not just to get black people to vote, but to mobilize them to come together for one specific day of minority empowerment," Baltimore County Black Republicans For Maryland president Mitchell Williams said. "As Republicans, we truly believe that, by coordinating the minority vote across the nation, we can put minorities in their proper place. We believe we know what's best for the whole country."

Republicans are eager to point out the differences between their drive and those of other get-out-the-vote organizations.

Above: A billboard erected by the Baltimore County
Black Republicans for Maryland.

"Strange as it is to say it, we're non-partisan," Monreal said. "We don't care if the minority voter is part of the vast majority of non-whites that traditionally votes Democrat. What's important to us is that we get them to the polls bright and early on the third day of November, so that they feel like they've participated in this year's election."

Monreal said Republican volunteers will be available to drive minorities to polling places on Nov. 3.

"We'll even stay at home with them the day before, to help them prepare for the act of voting," Monreal said. "We'll engage in concentrated one-on-one tutoring the entire day, to make sure these voters focus on the important act of voting, rather than going outside, reading newspapers, or watching television."

Republican Party leaders expressed pride in what they characterized as a true alternative to other programs that encourage voting, such as Rock The Vote.

"Let's be honest," Republican National Committee chairman Ed Gillespie said. "The Bush camp has been criticized for ignoring the minority vote for some time, especially during the last election. This project is our way of correcting that misperception. The Bush camp is extremely concerned about the black vote, especially in places like Florida, Ohio, and Pennsylvania. This year, on Nov. 3, we'll make a concerted effort to welcome minority voters into our own special camps with open arms."

Source
Old 10-31-04, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yawn.

Only an idiot would fall for this.

Guess that's why 'certain people' are worried.