Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film
View Poll Results: We Are Gonna Get The Leader We Deserve
agree
55.26%
disagree
44.74%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

We Will Get The President We Deserve: Agree/Disagree?

Old 10-30-04, 04:35 PM

Originally posted by Red Dog
Wow.

Perhaps I am in a small minority, but I do believe this. This really shouldn't come as a surprise to those who have read my posts either. And if we are talking strictly politically, solely about each man's ability as a candidate, it is not even close. The President is eminently better than his father was.
Old 10-30-04, 05:14 PM

"I've never liked the statement, 'We will get the leader we deserve'. It sounds too much like hippie crap to me." (kvrdave)

"In a democracy, people get the government they deserve", is attributed to Adlai Stevenson. ( a real hippie, he was.)

And I agree with him. If, in a democracy, you don't participate or, through willfull ignorance, don't keep yourself informed about what your government does in your name, (both at home and throughout the world), then whatever you get as a result, you've brought on yourself and, so, deserve.
Old 10-30-04, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

considering the large number of people who WON'T vote, I think we will get just what we deserve
Old 10-30-04, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

From my morning paper:

"We should be patient, the US is young and in essence still a budding democracy".
Old 10-30-04, 11:17 PM

Originally posted by eXcentris
From my morning paper:

"We should be patient, the US is young and in essence still a budding democracy".
Yeah, because there's so many other democracies that are older than ours...
Old 10-30-04, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by wendersfan
Yeah, because there's so many other democracies that are older than ours...
I would like our Canadian friend to name an older democracy than the United States.
Old 10-31-04, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The paper was being sarcastic, you know considering how your 2000 election went and how this one is shaping up. They do better jobs at holding elections in 3rd world countries. I wonder why they don't send UN observers.

Last edited by eXcentris; 10-31-04 at 01:15 AM.
Old 10-31-04, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by classicman2
I would like our Canadian friend to name an older democracy than the United States.
Democracy = From the Greek demos = people and cracy = rule as in "the rule by the people". Is Ancient Greece old enough for you? Frigging Americans think they've invented everything... Sigh...
Old 10-31-04, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Democracy = From the Greek demos = people and cracy = rule as in "the rule by the people". Is Ancient Greece old enough for you? Frigging Americans think they've invented everything... Sigh...
The United States has the oldest continuous form of government in the world. So there, Canadaboy.

Granted, we are two separate countries idiologically. I think the "blue" zones would last longer on their own than the "red" zones but that's just my opinion.
Old 10-31-04, 01:45 AM

Frigging Americans think they've invented everything... Sigh...
Jazz and country & western are enough for me.
Old 10-31-04, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Pharoh
Hiya, Pharoh.
I've just been lurking and enjoying the battles for the most part in here. But I don't put much forth because I haven't the time to get into it too much. Much fun to watch, though.
Cheers!
Old 10-31-04, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk God

And if we are talking strictly politically, solely about each man's ability as a candidate, it is not even close. The President is eminently better than his father was.
I too believe that George W. is much more resolute than was his father.

There's no comparison between them as to which is the best politician. The son is a far far better politician.
Old 10-31-04, 09:16 AM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

If we're talking about a candidate politically, the president is much better than his father. Bush I was lucky to be running against Dukakis to get elected and acted like he was going through the motions in his re-election campaign.
Old 10-31-04, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by wendersfan
Jazz and country & western are enough for me.
From the absolute best to the absolute worst, that's the US for you.

And apparently, after some research it appears that the oldest democracy is... Iceland!
Old 10-31-04, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Iv view of the 9 Marines killed yesterday in Iraq, will they get the leadership they deserve?
Old 10-31-04, 12:40 PM

Originally posted by Mammal
Iv view of the 9 Marines killed yesterday in Iraq, will they get the leadership they deserve?

Should we listen to and trust what they have to say themselves through their votes?
Old 10-31-04, 01:56 PM

Originally posted by Mammal
I know you're a Vietnam vet, and I respect that. I think you're trying to make hay from nothing, and I don't respect that.

Two facts: most polls show that the military and their families break anywhere from 60-70% in favor of Bush. Looks like they've decided who they "deserve".

Fact two: in his interview with Tom Brokaw, Kerry hinted that Saddam might also have been gone by now if he had been president in 2003. Tell me what he would have done differently to "make inspections work", and "build better alliances" which were the only caveats he mentioned that would have kept him from deposing Saddam vs. Bush's policies. Especially since he voted against the 1991 coalition; you know, the one he holds up as the model for all to follow now?

I truly understand why people object to Bush as C in C, but is Kerry's pandering the leadership troops deserve?
Old 10-31-04, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Nine deaths is only "nothing" because we don't yet have a representative military; a lot more people will be affected if and when we start drafting.
Old 10-31-04, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by mike harnish
And I agree with him. If, in a democracy, you don't participate or, through willfull ignorance, don't keep yourself informed about what your government does in your name, (both at home and throughout the world), then whatever you get as a result, you've brought on yourself and, so, deserve.

Agree 100%.

Men and women have fought and died for your right to vote. Voting is more than a right - it's a duty. Both to yourself and those aforementioned people. If you can't be bothered to have your say, then don't complain. Good, bad, or indifferent...you got the government you deserve.
Old 10-31-04, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk God

I'm not certain we get the president we deserve.

I deserve better. It's not fault that many of the voters are so stupid that they choose the wrong candidate.

Maybe they get the president they deserve, but not me.

Old 10-31-04, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by mike harnish
"I've never liked the statement, 'We will get the leader we deserve'. It sounds too much like hippie crap to me." (kvrdave)

"In a democracy, people get the government they deserve", is attributed to Adlai Stevenson. ( a real hippie, he was.)

Damn_hippie

I think he was wrong.