Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

ONE AND ONLY binLaden tape thread... [merged]

Old 10-29-04, 03:35 PM

Supposed new bin laden tape to air today

DUBAI (Reuters) - Arab satellite television Al Jazeera said on Friday it would broadcast a video tape from al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden addressing the American people.
It said the tape, to be aired at 4 p.m. EDT, would discuss the reasons behind the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks on the United States and their repercussions. It gave no further details.

I don't buy it, but it's going to be broadcast, even if he is dead.
Old 10-29-04, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Isn't this markedly different from anything we've ever seen before? Has Osama bin Laden ever addressed the American people directly in previous videos?

I'm interested to hear what he has to say. It's basically unquestionable that he is one of the greatest criminals in American history, and that he should be arrested and put to death or locked up forever. But I'm still interested as to his rationale for attacking us, since this really hasn't been made clear.

- David Stein
Old 10-29-04, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Fox News is reporting that the tape has been authenticated by US officials, and that it references some recent events.

I guess we shall see in about 15 minutes or so.
Old 10-29-04, 03:44 PM

He's probably announcing his bid as a last-minute third-party presidential candidate. "Undecided? Angry at Kerry for being soft on terror? I've personally killed hundreds of Afgrhanis! Angry at Bush because he can't find Osama Bin Laden? Well, *I* have known where he is for YEARS!!!"
Old 10-29-04, 03:46 PM

Neither of the two main independent intel agencies I use are saying anything about this yet. Authentic or not, I still have grave reservations about concerning the age of the tape.
Old 10-29-04, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Hey, i'd personally love to see Bin Laden alive so I know that we've not been chasing a ghost for the last couple of years.. however, I suspect all we will get is another grainy video and a muffled voice saying things that could just as easily have been said 3 years ago.
Old 10-29-04, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Seen a still from it. Looks pretty clear to me. FNC is reporting that it also makes reference to recent events in Iraq. It is 18 minutes long and is currently airing for the first time in the Middle East. It will be available as soon as it's translated.
Old 10-29-04, 04:09 PM
Premium Member

got to think no matter what he says this will help Bush more then Kerry.
Old 10-29-04, 04:09 PM

Originally posted by bfrank
got to think no matter what he says this will help Bush more then Kerry.

Especially given the apparent content.
Old 10-29-04, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Oh Goody...

he`s going to address the American People....i guess ill round up the Family....

what a slap in the face...

Last edited by tommy28; 10-29-04 at 04:13 PM.
Old 10-29-04, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah I really don't see this helping Kerry in anyway. But who knows we'll have to hear the translation.
Old 10-29-04, 04:13 PM

Originally posted by Mrs.Nesbit
Yeah I really don't see this helping Kerry in anyway. But who knows we'll have to hear the translation.

It may fire up some of his more vocal base, but I have to think it hurts his chances among persuadable married women.
Old 10-29-04, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I bet its really Karl Rove dressed as Bin Laden talking about how Kerry gave him a bunch of money to sonser the last few months of terrorist attacks in Iraq.
Old 10-29-04, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm kinda surprised that some of you can't see how this could possibly hurt Bush. I'm sure some could take the position that Bush still hasn't found bin Laden yet, said at one time that he wasn't a priority, but it appears that bin Laden is still alive and well and trying to phyiscally harm the US.

Of course it could go the way you all are predicting as well, I just don't think the impact is so cut and dried either way.
Old 10-29-04, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How about this:

"We don't hate you. We only hate your Mideast policy. If you elect a president that doesn't kick down Mideast doors, then we have no more business with you."

Of course, I still think he should be arrested and shot. But I'm interested because I've never heard a logical motive behind the 9/11 bombings, besides vague hand-wavery like "they hate our way of life."

- David Stein
Old 10-29-04, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Seen a still from it. Looks pretty clear to me. FNC is reporting that it also makes reference to recent events in Iraq. It is 18 minutes long and is currently airing for the first time in the Middle East. It will be available as soon as it's translated.
We'll see. If it's like the 1 year anniversary of 9/11 tape where he talked about it 'being a year since.." but being devoid of other real information, then it will go down as being pre-made. My guess it it will say Bush has misled us for the last 3 years and we are going to suffer blah blah blah.. everything that could easily have been said years ago. I'm looking for something, anything, to prove it's recent.
Old 10-29-04, 04:17 PM

Originally posted by Mordred
I'm kinda surprised that some of you can't see how this could possibly hurt Bush. I'm sure some could take the position that Bush still hasn't found bin Laden yet, said at one time that he wasn't a priority, but it appears that bin Laden is still alive and well and trying to phyiscally harm the US.

Of course it could go the way you all are predicting as well, I just don't think the impact is so cut and dried either way.

My belief is that all of those who would feel that way, already do, and are already voting for Mr. Kerry.
Old 10-29-04, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk God

I guess this is an endorsement video?

Originally posted by sfsdfd
How about this:

"We don't hate you. We only hate your Mideast policy. If you elect a president that doesn't kick down Mideast doors, then we have no more business with you."

Of course, I still think he should be arrested and shot. But I'm interested because I've never heard a logical motive behind the 9/11 bombings, besides vague hand-wavery like "they hate our way of life."

- David Stein

But of course that is not the reality, especially given their history of attacks.
DVD Talk Legend

Personally, I think that, in and of itself, would backfire and help Bush a lot more than Kerry. Americans don't like to be told what to do, particularly by terrorists... this isn't Spain.
Old 10-29-04, 04:19 PM

Originally posted by Red Dog
I guess this is an endorsement video?

I believe that is how many are going to take it. I think we can guess how the American public will react.
Old 10-29-04, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Well if he really wants the US out of the Middle East, he should endorse Badnarik.
Old 10-29-04, 04:21 PM
Admin-Thanos

How about this:

- David Stein
You know what their motivations are, don't you? They want the US and the West out of the ME. They want the State of Israel destroyed. They want strict Sharia law imposed on all of the ME. It's really not that complicated. Its simple xenophobia mixed with religious fervor.
Old 10-29-04, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Pharoh
My belief is that all of those who would feel that way, already do, and are already voting for Mr. Kerry.
I'm sure there were some who shared the same belief you and I held, that Osama was probably dead.
Old 10-29-04, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From CNN's headline:
Bin Laden video: Americans' security does not depend on the president they elect, but on U.S. policy. "Your security is not in the hands of Kerry or Bush or al Qaeda." Details soon
No story yet.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.