Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Tom Harkin: Kerry's rise in polls what "God wanted".

Old 10-29-04, 11:53 AM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Tom Harkin: Kerry's rise in polls what "God wanted".

http://www.cedarvalleydailytimes.com...ews/news01.txt
VINTON - Iowa Sen. Tom Harkin says John Kerry has been gaining in the polls every day since Oct. 21, and George Bush has been going down every day.

"That's how God wants it to be," Harkin told a group of about 25 people at the Benton County Headquarters in Vinton on Thursday afternoon.
Harkin was touring the state to stump for Kerry and Democratic legislative candidates. He appeared in Benton County on behalf of Mt. Auburn Mayor Dawn Pettengill, who is running against incumbent Republican Dell Hanson for the Iowa House District 39 seat.

Harkin spent the first part of his speech echoing many of the campaign themes of the economy and Iraq sounded by Kerry in his presidential campaign.

Harkin predicted victory for Kerry on Tuesday, saying that the polls that show Bush and Kerry in a tight race do not include the many new Democrats who have recently registered to vote.

(Most polls only use input from likely voters, which mean those who have voted in previous elections.)

Harkin said that in Iowa, 50,000 new voters registered as Democrats recently, but only 20,000 registered as Independents and even fewer - 9,400 - registered as Republicans.

After encouraging the party faithful to get out the vote for Kerry, Harkin turned his attention to the Iowa Legislature, which he called an "albatross around the neck" of Gov. Tom Vilsack, whom he referred to as the "best governor in the United States."

"This is the worst legislature I've seen since the 1950s," Harkin said.

Harkin didn't remember the name of Pettengill's opponent, but told the group, "he has to go."

Harkin introduced Pettengill, who used her speech to respond to Republican mailings and television ads blaming her for a tax increase in Mt. Auburn by saying the city council was forced to increase taxes because of budget decisions made by Hanson and other Republicans in the legislature.
Old 10-29-04, 11:59 AM
Admin-Thanos

I knew God was a hippie!
Old 10-29-04, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk God

You democrats just can't help pushing your religion on everyone. What gives?
Old 10-29-04, 12:03 PM

He's gone up in the polls everyday? What polls, God's?
Old 10-29-04, 12:03 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally posted by kvrdave
You democrats just can't help pushing your religion on everyone. What gives?
We're just trying to share.
Old 10-29-04, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Kind of like the bullshit where I live in which certain conservatives have been claiming Jesus would vote for Bush.
Old 10-29-04, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by LiquidSky
Kind of like the bullshit where I live in which certain conservatives have been claiming Jesus would vote for Bush.
Idiot people say idiot things every day. (Exhibit A: The Other Forum. )

I haven't heard Kerry state that God has plans for his administration, etc. At most, I've heard him state that his faith guides his actions, which is a little suspicious. But that's much different from Bush stating, "God speaks through me," which is just .

- David Stein
Old 10-29-04, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by LiquidSky
Kind of like it, except we always hear that it is the conservatives who push their religion on others....and here are the liberals doing the same thing.
Old 10-29-04, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by sfsdfd
Idiot people say idiot things every day. (Exhibit A: The Other Forum. )

I haven't heard Kerry state that God has plans for his administration, etc. At most, I've heard him state that his faith guides his actions, which is a little suspicious. But that's much different from Bush stating, "God speaks through me," which is just .

- David Stein
Do you have a link for that quote?
Old 10-29-04, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

VINTON - Iowa Sen. Tom Harkin says John Kerry has been gaining in the polls every day since Oct. 21, and George Bush has been going down every day.

There's only one daily nationwide poll that i'm aware of... And according to that one there has been only 1 day where Bush has gone down and Kerry has gone up.

Poll Date Bush Kerry

TIPP 10/27 46 43 Bush -1
TIPP 10/26 47 43 Kerry +1
TIPP 10/25 47 42 Bush -1 Kerry +1
TIPP 10/24 48 41 Bush +1 Kerry -2
TIPP 10/23 47 43 Kerry -1
TIPP 10/22 47 44 Bush +2 , Kerry -1
TIPP 10/21 45 45 Tie
Old 10-29-04, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk God

But that's much different from Bush stating, "God speaks through me,"
Link, please?
Old 10-29-04, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Actually Rasmuseen has daily tracking as well doesn't it? Here's the poll..

Date Bush Kerry

Today 48.7 46.7 Bush Down Kerry Down
Oct 28 48.9 46.9 Bush up Kerry Down
Oct 27 48.8 47.1 Bush up Kerry Down
Oct 26 47.8 47.8
Oct 25 46.4 48.4 Bush Down Kerry Up
Oct 24 47.6 47.2 Bush Down Kerry Up
Oct 23 48.0 46.7 Bush Down Kerry Up
Oct 22 49.1 45.9 Bush up Kerry Down
Oct 21 48.8 46.2

so that one doesn't fit the mold either, only . Can anyone figure out what magic polls he's talking about? Only 3 of the 8 days in this poll show Kerry going up and Bush going down..
Old 10-29-04, 12:43 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

I actually saw that link. In context though Bush isn't claiming what he says is the word of God.
Old 10-29-04, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by classicman2
Link, please?
I've got 4,250 links to that quote.
<a href="http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%2Bbush+%2B%22god+speaks+through+me%22">Google search</a>

Full quote: "I trust God speaks through me. Without that, I couldn't do my job." That's pretty plain speech, and not taken out of context. And it's pretty frightening.

- David Stein
Old 10-29-04, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

any link that's not a blog?
Old 10-29-04, 12:47 PM

Every few months, a report surfaces of the president using strikingly Messianic language, only to be dismissed by the White House. Three months ago, for instance, in a private meeting with Amish farmers in Lancaster County, Pa., Bush was reported to have said, ''I trust God speaks through me.'' In this ongoing game of winks and nods, a White House spokesman denied the president had specifically spoken those words, but noted that ''his faith helps him in his service to people.''
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/17/ma...=all&position=
Old 10-29-04, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by General Zod
Can anyone figure out what magic polls he's talking about? Only 3 of the 8 days in this poll show Kerry going up and Bush going down..
The USA Today/Zogby poll of Heaven. Kerry's started gaining ground among the serafim, and has managed to hold onto his already sizable lead among cherubim. The archangel vote is, of course, still split pretty evenly.
Old 10-29-04, 12:54 PM

Originally posted by JasonF
The USA Today/Zogby poll of Heaven. Kerry's started gaining ground among the serafim, and has managed to hold onto his already sizable lead among cherubim. The archangel vote is, of course, still split pretty evenly.
Old 10-29-04, 12:57 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

NY Times.
Old 10-29-04, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk God

You would think Bush would be down in the polls if that quote were not taken out of context. Either that or Kerry really is one pathetic loser. I suppose it could be a combination.
Old 10-29-04, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

You see guys, this is the kind of shit I'm talking about with Harkin.
Old 10-29-04, 01:48 PM
Banned

Originally posted by bhk

NY Times.
use it for toilet paper
Old 10-29-04, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by kvrdave
You would think Bush would be down in the polls if that quote were not taken out of context.
It hasn't been widely reported. This was said in a private meeting with some Amish folks - not "private" as in "intended to be secret," but "private" as in "invitation only and media not welcome." Hard to get independent confirmation.

But it does appear true:
<UL><LI>This was originally reported in the Lancaster Times, a small local newspaper. (You can still find the original quote in the Lancaster Times article, but in order to access it online, you need to pay a fee. )
<LI>Many other newspapers picked up the story, including the New York Times.
<LI>At least one religious reporting newspaper, <a href="http://www.therevealer.org</a>The Revealer</a>, is <a href="http://www.therevealer.org/archives/timely_000543.php">reporting this as fact.</a> And they don't seem to have a lot of bias.
<LI>The White House denied that the President spoke these exact words, but noted that "his faith helps him in his service to his people." (Which is fine, but it makes this statement look like a non-denial-denial.)</UL>- David Stein

Last edited by sfsdfd; 10-29-04 at 02:02 PM.
Old 10-29-04, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

David, there's no need to go into a coma because someone else's religion scares you.

But, it's not a genius thing to say. Not because it's untrue, but because bastard atheists out there will scream bloody murder and everyone knows this.
Old 10-29-04, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by DarkestPhoenix
David, there's no need to go into a coma because someone else's religion scares you.
"Go into a coma?" Hardly. I'm just going to vote against him (in the battleground state of Ohio), that's all.
Originally posted by DarkestPhoenix
But, it's not a genius thing to say. Not because it's untrue, but because bastard atheists out there will scream bloody murder and everyone knows this.
That sounds like you agree with Bush that God speaks through him. Do you?

- David Stein

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.