Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The One and Only Voting Story Thread

Old 10-29-04, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The One and Only Voting Story Thread

This is the thread to post all the cool stuff that happened to you on your way to the polls and any cool people you saw, etc. Since voting has started early this year, we'll go ahead and start the thread
Old 10-29-04, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Mine is an almost voting story...I went to the county annex to vote at 10:30. the line was 2 hours long, so i left. I have to meet someone at noon so I guess I'll go back this afternoon.
Old 10-29-04, 10:57 AM

I think I am going to drink most of the day.
Old 10-29-04, 11:11 AM
Admin-MemeCat

I went to the County Center downtown to vote because the lines for early voting at the local library were over 2 hours long. While I was in the elevator waiting for the door to close and take me up to the voting on the 16th floor a man and a woman walked in. They looked like former hippies. The guy thanked me for holding the elevator open and said he had to get upstairs to "vote that bastard out of office." The people in the elevator cheered. I didn't know there were that many Democrats in Florida.

Oh and also, I voted for my first Libertarian candidate ever. She is running for State assembly and is the only one on the ballot vs. the incumbant Republican. It was more of a joke than anything else, now I hear she is doing well in the polling and might win. I could kick myself now.

Last edited by VinVega; 10-29-04 at 11:13 AM.
Old 10-29-04, 11:13 AM

Originally posted by VinVega
I went to the County Center downtown to vote because the lines for early voting at the local library were over 2 hours long. While I was in the elevator waiting for the door to close and take me up to the voting on the 16th floor a man and a woman walked in. They looked like former hippies. The guy thanked me for holding the elevator open and said he had to get upstairs to "vote that bastard out of office." The people in the elevator cheered. I didn't know there were that many Democrats in Florida.

As half of them then proceeded to quietly cast a vote for Mr. Bush.

Seriously, is anybody else taking the day off? We're basically closing, so I will be home all day.
Old 10-29-04, 11:17 AM
Admin-MemeCat

Originally posted by Pharoh
As half of them then proceeded to quietly cast a vote for Mr. Bush.
Could be. I know they're running an add for Bush down here that says, "Alone in the booth, why take the chance on Kerry."

It's like "Hey pal, you're a Democrat. but it's ok, it'll be our little secret."
Old 10-29-04, 11:21 AM

Could be. I know they're running an add for Bush down here that says, "Alone in the booth, why take the chance on Kerry."

It's like "Hey pal, you're a Democrat. but it's ok, it'll be our little secret."

Saw that one. It's aimed directly at married women. Probably will be somewhat effective.
Old 10-29-04, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk God

I will vote Tuesday, November 6, 2004 - the day that you're supposed to vote - good lord willing & the creek don't rise - and I don't lose everything tomorrow at the Breeder's Cup.
Old 10-29-04, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

As long as you know it's next Tuesday, you're probably OK, but it's actually Tuesday, November 2, 2004, that you're supposed to vote.
Old 10-29-04, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by classicman2
I will vote Tuesday, November 6, 2004 - the day that you're supposed to vote - good lord willing & the creek don't rise - and I don't lose everything tomorrow at the Breeder's Cup.
November 6th

birrman54
Old 10-29-04, 11:42 AM

I think I am going to drink most of the day.
Me too. We should meet halfway at some dive bar near Mansfield.
Old 10-29-04, 11:51 AM
Admin-MemeCat

Originally posted by OldDude
As long as you know it's next Tuesday, you're probably OK, but it's actually Tuesday, November 2, 2004, that you're supposed to vote.
You always have to be a stickler for the truth, don't you? Hopefully c-man will be a little confused about the date, the time and the polling location, as he has professed to be voting for you know who.
Old 10-29-04, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

went back at 1:30. finally got to vote at 3:40. people in line were looking at the sample ballots...shouldnt' they have done this before they got there?
Old 10-29-04, 04:10 PM
Premium Member

I let my daughter punch one of the chads out on my absentee ballot and it ripped a bit - maybe about 1/10"

Hope California does not have a recount
Old 11-01-04, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

oh and when i was in line to vote, the local news people were videotaping the line. i hope no one felt intimidated
Old 11-01-04, 11:31 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
You always have to be a stickler for the truth, don't you? Hopefully c-man will be a little confused about the date, the time and the polling location, as he has professed to be voting for you know who.
He's voting for Lord Voldemort?
Old 11-01-04, 11:33 AM

Originally posted by wendersfan
Me too. We should meet halfway at some dive bar near Mansfield.

It would be nice.

Seriously, if I didn't have to pick up my kids from school that afternoon, I would. It's going to be a rough day to get through.
Old 11-01-04, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk God

Seriously, if I didn't have to pick up my kids from school that afternoon, I would. It's going to be a rough day to get through.
Private schools, I assume.

Anyone who can afford to subscribe to National Journal can afford to send their kids to private schools.

Old 11-01-04, 11:46 AM

It would be nice.

I'm going to get to the polls when they open, and then spend the rest of the day watching the news and reading the internet. Over the past few days I've started to become very nervous over the prospect of a Kerry victory, much more than I am with a Bush re-election. It's gonna be a tense day no matter the result, assuming we get a result tomorrow.
Old 11-01-04, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
I'll vote before going to work, around 7am. My town is fairly small so there's never any lines that early. Tomorrow night my fiancee and I will watch the aftermath together. Not that we expect to know a winner any time soon.
Old 11-01-04, 11:58 AM

Originally posted by wendersfan
I'm going to get to the polls when they open, and then spend the rest of the day watching the news and reading the internet. Over the past few days I've started to become very nervous over the prospect of a Kerry victory, much more than I am with a Bush re-election. It's gonna be a tense day no matter the result, assuming we get a result tomorrow.

I agree, with the tense part.

And you know, you could do something simple about those worries.
Old 11-01-04, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yesterday, our county clerk said not to expect to see any election returns until all of the absentee ballots have been counted and filed. They expect to get this done around 2:00 am on Wednesday.
Old 11-01-04, 12:15 PM
Admin-MemeCat

Well, there's no evidence for this story, so I guess here is as good a place to post it as anywhere.

My Fiance's coworkers went out to early vote last week, and when they came back, they relayed a distressing story to her. They had selected Kerry for President and went through the e-voting menu, selecting all their local candidates and choices on ammendments and when they got to the final confirmation page, Bush was selected in the ballot box. They went back and changed it several times, but every time they got back to the final screen, Bush would pop back in there. They wound up calling over the election workers to look at the issue. Lucky for them, they were attentive to the whole ballot. I can imagine how many people would just scroll through the screens and click ok at the end of the ballot. [Jack Palance]Believe it...or not![/Jack Palance]
Old 11-01-04, 12:45 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

On Saturday, I lied about not getting my voter registration card as I forgot to bring it. After about 10 minutes, they finally got the dot matrix printer working to print off another copy.

I checked a random box as to my reasons for voting absentee and an 89 year old man led me to the electronic voting machine. After some lengthy and incoherent instructions, I alternated between clicking Democrats and Republicans. The color pattern on my final checkout screen was glorious!

I also voted to get rid of mini bottles so the bars can pour directly into my mouth from their 96 oz jug of generic vodka. After pushing the blinking red vote button, I made sure the 94 year old sticker lady gave me 2 "I Voted!" stickers for each of my ass cheeks.

I sure hope George Kerry and John Cheney win, otherwise I wasted my time for nothing!
Old 11-01-04, 12:49 PM

I haven't voted yet, but I got an interesting call last night from the GOP telling me that voter turnout was expected to be at an all-time high in Utah this year, so the procedure was that Republicans vote on Tuesday, Democrats are supposed vote on Wednesday.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.