Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Help me decide if I should vote...

Old 10-28-04, 05:01 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Help me decide if I should vote...

One is a simple-minded isolationist, the other blows with the prevailing wind. Neither, in my opinion, have demonstrated themselves worthy to lead The United States of America. what am I to do? living in Los Angeles, I have no doubt CA will go to Kerry. regardless of that expectation, should i even bother voting?

let me simplify the question: if a person doesn't like either choice, should he/she feel compelled to choose?
Old 10-28-04, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There are other people you can vote for. But no, you shouldn't feel "compelled" to vote if you don't like the choices and really have no opinion on the matter.
Old 10-28-04, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Vote or Die!
Old 10-28-04, 05:08 PM

Originally posted by Thor Simpson
There are other people you can vote for. But no, you shouldn't feel "compelled" to vote if you don't like the choices and really have no opinion on the matter.
don't get me wrong, i have a strong opinion on the matter. however, neither candidate sufficiently meets my expectations for the values the president should hold.
Old 10-28-04, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Vote for Nader or a third party candidate to show your dis-satisfaction with the folks the main parties put up. Perhaps it will scare them into putting up better quality candidates in the future. Just a thought.
Old 10-28-04, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If it doesn't matter to you who wins then don't vote. If you think one of the two is even slightly better then vote for him. Seems pretty simple to me.
Old 10-28-04, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by General Zod
Vote for Nader or a third party candidate to show your dis-satisfaction with the folks the main parties put up. Perhaps it will scare them into putting up better quality candidates in the future. Just a thought.
Perot didn't scare them into doing that, and he got several times the number of votes that Nader and all of the third-party candidates combined will this time.
Old 10-28-04, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You <i>should</i> feel compelled to vote. You should <i>not</i> feel compelled to vote for one of the two major candidates.

das
Old 10-28-04, 05:23 PM

Nothing wrong with not voting. Stay home next Tuesday.
Old 10-28-04, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally posted by dork
Perot didn't scare them into doing that, and he got several times the number of votes that Nader and all of the third-party candidates combined will this time.
True I wonder what it will take..
Old 10-28-04, 05:27 PM
Premium Member

just vote.

If you dont like either of the two then look at the other party or pick the one issue that is most important to you and let that be the deciding issue.
Old 10-28-04, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by cygnet74
don't get me wrong, i have a strong opinion on the matter. however, neither candidate sufficiently meets my expectations for the values the president should hold.
In that case, if you have a strong opinion on the matter, you best vote for the guy you would rather have as your president. It doesn't matter if you think he's perfect. You have a voice in the matter, make it heard.

It's not the lesser of two evils, is the greater of the choices you are presented with. And don't overlook 3rd party candidates if you don't care for the top 2.
Old 10-28-04, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by bfrank
just vote.

If you dont like either of the two then look at the other party or pick the one issue that is most important to you and let that be the deciding issue.
As my political science professor in college pointed out, in a democracy such as ours people are most likely to vote where their vote will have the least effect, i.e. the Presidency. I'm sure there are plenty of other people on your ballot for State and Local elections (plus possible referendums) and it's certainly possible they will have a bigger effect on your day to day life than who the president is. At least get educated and vote in those races.
Old 10-28-04, 05:46 PM

If neither of the two major candidates appeal to you, choose the one whom you agree with more than the other. One of the two is going to be elected and if you plan on voting for a third party candidate, well, that's just as good as not voting at all (re: a wasted vote, IMO).
Old 10-28-04, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Bush is probably going to win, so be on the team.. the winning team
Old 10-28-04, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by DaveNinja
Vote or Die!
damn straight!

Old 10-28-04, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Bush is an isolationist? Hmmm....
Old 10-28-04, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Not voting is also a choice. Nothing wrong with that.
Old 10-28-04, 06:22 PM

Originally posted by SunMonkey
Bush is an isolationist? Hmmm....
in reference to international affairs.
Old 10-28-04, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by cygnet74
in reference to international affairs.
I'm not sure how else one could be an isolationist, but ok. You are aware that under Bush, the United States liberated two international countries, right?

Old 10-28-04, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk God

If you can't agree at least 50% of the way with one candidate, then don't vote.
Old 10-28-04, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You donít have to vote for the Presidential spot, you can skip it or vote for a 3rd party. At least show up and vote on our state issues on the ballot.
Old 10-28-04, 06:40 PM

STAY HOME!
Old 10-28-04, 06:40 PM

Originally posted by SunMonkey
I'm not sure how else one could be an isolationist, but ok. You are aware that under Bush, the United States liberated two international countries, right?

Not to mention united a ton of countries in an international effort to fight terrorism. I guess I can see the OPs point though since we aren't really playing by the standard "rule book" when it comes to Int'l relations and we've tried to make our concerns their concerns instead of vice versa (kyoto for example). I'm just not sure "isolationist" is the correct word for Bush though.... certainly not the first one that comes to my mind
Old 10-28-04, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

so some on here think bush is an interventionist and others think he's an isolationist. mmm...okay

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.