Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

how can people still be undecided?

Old 10-28-04, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

how can people still be undecided?

i've been seeing interview from "undecided" voters on various news programs recently.

MAKE UP YOUR FUCKING MIND!!!

Didn't Dean withdraw from the Primaries in February? In eight months, if you haven't made up your mind between Bush and Kerry, why do you think you'll reach some sort of epiphany in the next couple of days?
Old 10-28-04, 04:24 PM

Well, the Giant Douche is kinda gay. But the Turd Sandwich smells like shit.
Old 10-28-04, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Seriously. I saw a woman on TV last night who said she was still undecided. Because neither guy had shown her he could back up what he was saying. She's gonna have to make up her mind at some point, cause lady... that ain't gonna happen by Tuesday.
Old 10-28-04, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

my friend went and voted yesterday and he said he decided while he was sitting there looking at the screen
Old 10-28-04, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Thor Simpson
Seriously. I saw a woman on TV last night who said she was still undecided. Because neither guy had shown her he could back up what he was saying. She's gonna have to make up her mind at some point, cause lady... that ain't gonna happen by Tuesday.

I don't know why such people feel compelled to vote. If you don't like either guy, don't succumb to the lesser-of-2-evil nonsense.
Old 10-28-04, 04:28 PM

Most of the "undecided" voters I've heard talking recently seem to be saying that so they can get their 5 mins of fame in being interviewed. Whether this is the person or the interviewer arranging this I'm not sure...
Old 10-28-04, 04:29 PM

On one hand you have a conservative Republican who has ran up huge deficits, won't control spending, and whose foreign policy has been less than successful.

On the other hand you have a liberal Democrat with a less than stellar public record, a penchant for indecision, who has offered proposals that are either not dissimilar from his opponent's or will likely never be enacted.

For someone like me, who agrees with each candidate on some issues but with neither on a preponderance of them, the choice is quite difficult.
Old 10-28-04, 04:30 PM

I don't know why such people feel compelled to vote. If you don't like either guy, don't succumb to the lesser-of-2-evil nonsense.
Or worse if you are voting only because someone told you to vote a particular way (friend, relative, party official, talk show host, celeb, etc) and you don't know jack about the issues involved, stay the hell away from the poll.
Old 10-28-04, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Red Dog
That describes me exactly.

Neither candidate is acceptable. I am not voting for the first time in my adult life.
Old 10-28-04, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by wendersfan
On one hand you have a conservative Republican who has ran up huge deficits, won't control spending, and whose foreign policy has been less than successful.

On the other hand you have a liberal Democrat with a less than stellar public record, a penchant for indecision, who has offered proposals that are either not dissimilar from his opponent's or will likely never be enacted.

For someone like me, who agrees with each candidate on some issues but with neither on a preponderance of them, the choice is quite difficult.
of course, but were you just given these options last week? You knew that Bush was going to be the Republican nominee since December 2000. Kerry wrapped up the Democratic nomination eight months ago.

my question isn't about being undecided, it's about STILL being undecided.
Old 10-28-04, 04:48 PM

Originally posted by RoyalTea
of course, but were you just given these options last week? You knew that Bush was going to be the Republican nominee since December 2000. Kerry's been the Democratic wrapped up the Democratic nomination eight months ago.
I may have been given these options several months ago, but conditions have not remained constant. Iraq is still in a state of flux, Kerry's candidacy has not been as good as I had hoped, etc.
Old 10-29-04, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just like the movie AVP

"whoever wins... we lose"
Old 10-29-04, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm undecided still... it'll either be Nader, Kerry or Alf. I'll probably just write-in Howard Dean and scribble the words "fuck you" on the ballot since they're just gonna 'lose' my ballot anyway.
Old 10-29-04, 06:51 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Brian Shannon
That describes me exactly.

Neither candidate is acceptable. I am not voting for the first time in my adult life.
Then vote Nader he could use the help. Sure your vote won't come to shit but you will make a old man smile with a extra vote for him.
Old 10-29-04, 08:09 AM
Suspended

Thank God for quarters because I bet a lot of voters are going to bring them to the polls.
Old 10-29-04, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk God

Most are not.

They just like to tell the pollsters they are - or they like lying.
Old 10-29-04, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by TOPDAWG
Then vote Nader he could use the help. Sure your vote won't come to shit but you will make a old man smile with a extra vote for him.
While humorous this is exactly what is wrong with politics. Not only is he not a good nominee he also has no chance.

I choose to use my vote as a non vote given the broken system and the lack of quality candidates.
Old 10-29-04, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I choose to use my vote as a non vote given the broken system and the lack of quality candidates.
You're still voting in the local elections etc though right?
Old 10-29-04, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If you feel there's a genuine difference between the two candidates but don't really like either, lesser-of-two-evils is a perfectly valid way to vote. If you think Badnarik is better than both guys, but between the big two Kerry is better than Bush, it's perfectly reasonable to vote strategically and line up behind Kerry.
Old 10-29-04, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by nemein
Most of the "undecided" voters I've heard talking recently seem to be saying that so they can get their 5 mins of fame in being interviewed. Whether this is the person or the interviewer arranging this I'm not sure...
I agree. They always try to come across as really wanting to put more serious thought into it, yet generally come across as too stupid to make up their minds.
Old 10-29-04, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by JasonF
If you feel there's a genuine difference between the two candidates but don't really like either, lesser-of-two-evils is a perfectly valid way to vote. If you think Badnarik is better than both guys, but between the big two Kerry is better than Bush, it's perfectly reasonable to vote strategically and line up behind Kerry.

Sorry - don't buy it. Voting for a candidate validates your approval of that candidate. The only way to genuinely show that you think the candidates suck is to not vote for either/any candidate(s), which is what I will be doing.
Old 10-29-04, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sorry - don't buy it. Voting for a candidate validates your approval of that candidate. The only way to genuinely show that you think the candidates suck is to not vote for either/any candidate(s), which is what I will be doing.
Agreed. This is my view exactly.
Old 10-29-04, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Agreed. This is my view exactly.
Old 10-29-04, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk God

As I said in another thread:

We only have a handful of things to vote on in my area. No Senate race in VA. The House race is a joke. State House/Senate races take place in non-presidential years. There are only 2 local races: for County Board and School Board. Only 2 amendments on the ballot and they are nothing controversial - just some house-keeping issues for the VA Constitution (gubenatorial succession and minor redistricting). 4 County Bond Issues - all for things that will certainly pass. Really, if you are lukewarm on politics in Arlington Co. and none of the presidential candidates do anything for you, it is an easy year to stay away from the polls.
I'll vote on some these things even though it doesn't really matter.
Old 10-30-04, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No.

I am in total agreement with Red Dog.

You cannot defeat an incumbent unless they have died or have been convicted of a crime. The bond issues are never detailed enough to make an informed decision. There are no issues or candidates that will affect me on Tuesday.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.