Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Are There Any Real Differences Between Bush & Kerry on the Major Issues?

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 10-26-04, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Other than taxes & energy - I can't really think of any real difference.
Old 10-26-04, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They seem to have slightly different views on stem cell research and abortion.
Old 10-26-04, 06:51 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

I can't really think of any real difference.
Kerry has been a relentless UN ass kisser. I don't think he would act unilaterally to protect the US if needed.
Frankly I don't think the leader of the most powerful nation should kowtow to 2 bit despots from 3rd world countries.
Old 10-26-04, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by SunMonkey
They seem to have slightly different views on stem cell research and abortion.
The man said major issues.

As for the question, no, of course not. Now if we are talking a major issue to me, then yes, judicial nominations. That should be a major issue, but 1) it is too 'out there' for the carbon blobs and 2) Senate Democrats have seen to it that it will be moderate judges from here on out.

Last edited by Red Dog; 10-26-04 at 07:19 PM.
Old 10-26-04, 07:11 PM
Banned

Isn't Classicman suppose to be at the WS game III tonight?

By the way, see my sig.
Old 10-26-04, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Myster X
Isn't Classicman suppose to be at the WS game III tonight?

By the way, see my sig.
Classicman is preparing to go to Lone Star Park for the biggest day in horse racing this Saturday - The Breeder's Cup - 8 Grade 1 events.

See you there.
Old 10-26-04, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk God

I have said this from the begining, and have been scoffed. However, what they say may be similar, but past actions don't seem to support what Kerry says he will do.
Old 10-26-04, 07:48 PM

Yes, way too many for me to list.
Old 10-26-04, 08:01 PM
Premium Member

what they say they will do or what they actually do?

More a like then most would like to admit IMO
Old 10-26-04, 08:11 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

what they say they will do or what they actually do?
Would President Kerry have gone ahead with Gulf War I, don't think so becuase he voted against it in the senate despite it passing the "global test".
Old 10-26-04, 08:19 PM
Premium Member

I was also against it at the time
Old 10-26-04, 08:34 PM

Starting somewhat alphabeticallly:

Affirmative Action

African Economic development

AIDS education

Arms Control:
-nuclear weapons
-BWC

Chinese Renminbi

Old 10-26-04, 08:35 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Kerry was also against acting unilaterally in Bosnia.
Old 10-26-04, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by bhk
Would President Kerry have gone ahead with Gulf War I, don't think so becuase he voted against it in the senate despite it passing the "global test".

His vote against authorizing the Gulf War is one area in which I agree with Kerry.

Kerry was also against acting unilaterally in Bosnia.
Another issue in which I'm absolutely in agreement with Kerry.
Old 10-26-04, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by bhk

He was correct there as he was on the Bosnia question.
Old 10-26-04, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Pharoh
Starting somewhat alphabeticallly:

Affirmative Action

African Economic development

AIDS education

Arms Control:
-nuclear weapons
-BWC

Chinese Renminbi

add:
:
Moreover, Democratic challenger John Kerry (news - web sites) isn't exactly winning a best-senator award as he tries to unseat Bush. The Massachusetts senator has participated in just 17 of 211 votes since January.
North Korea

Israel-Palestinian situation

Job Creation
Small Business

Protectionism
Outsourcing
Tariffs

Energy exploration

Judicial appointments

and so on and so on..
Old 10-26-04, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Moreover, Democratic challenger John Kerry (news - web sites) isn't exactly winning a best-senator award as he tries to unseat Bush. The Massachusetts senator has participated in just 17 of 211 votes since January.
And just what has that to do with the differences between Bush & Kerry?

BTW: I don't consider affirmative action to be a major issue.

In addition, Kerry is basically a free-trade, as is Bush. That's one of the area I don't agree with Kerry on. I wish he was a little more of a protectionist.
Old 10-26-04, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by classicman2
And just what has that to do with the differences between Bush & Kerry?

BTW: I don't consider affirmative action to be a major issue.

In addition, Kerry is basically a free-trade, as is Bush. That's one of the area I don't agree with Kerry on. I wish he was a little more of a protectionist.
How about doing the job. That attendance record is pretty weak...Even if people hammer the president for being out of washington often, he at least works when in Texas. Draw a salary, do the job.

And as for protectionism.. ask Mr. Hoover what protectionism and higher taxes did to the economy....
Old 10-26-04, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by matchpenalty
How about doing the job. That attendance record is pretty weak...Even if people hammer the president for being out of washington often, he at least works when in Texas. Draw a salary, do the job.

And as for protectionism.. ask Mr. Hoover what protectionism and higher taxes did to the economy....

Bush hasn't been in DC nor TX much in the past few months. This attendance record for Kerry is a non-issue if you ask me. If the people of MA are so offended by his playing hooky, then they have the opportunity to vote against him for Prez or during his next run for Senate.
Old 10-26-04, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk God

For the majority of the history of the Republic there has been some form of protectionism.

There certainly was a long history of protectionism before and when the United States became the major economic power of the world.

Ask the historians about that.

As for Kerry's attendance in the Senate - unless you are a citizen of MA, I don't believe it really concerns you. He represents MA. They make the decision as to whether he's doing his job - not a citizen of Wyoming.
Old 10-26-04, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For the majority of the history of the Republic there has been some form of protectionism.

There certainly was a long history of protectionism before and when the United States became the major economic power of the world.

Ask the historians about that.

As for Kerry's attendance in the Senate - unless you are a citizen of MA, I don't believe it really concerns you. He represents MA. They make the decision as to whether he's doing his job - not a citizen of Wyoming.
In the past goods from other countries were not as accessible globally. With people wanting cheap goods, they force the jobs elsewhere. Get people to buy American if you want the jobs to stay here. Most people won't pay the additional price. How many foreign made cars, clothes, furniture items, etc do people have vs. domestic made?

Believe what you want.. each person makes their own decision on his attendance in the senate when he asks to be president. Past candidates have had a much better track record.

Last edited by matchpenalty; 10-26-04 at 09:52 PM.
Old 10-26-04, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Imports have precious little to do with the cost of goods for the consumer.

Witness the clothing manufacturers and the bicycle manufacturers for instance.

On the issue of attendance - why are you so concerned? I wasn't aware that you were a citizen of MA. Why not let them make the decision as to whether Kerry has performed his duties? After all, he represents them, not you.
Old 10-26-04, 10:44 PM

Okay, to get back on topic:

Missile Defense. One of the biggest issues. At least to me.

Health Care

I could go on, but hopefully this, along with the other posts, is enough. If not, let me know.
Old 10-26-04, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk God

There is very little difference in what they will do about health care.

Kerry's unrealistic plan is merely to appeal to the Democratic base. It will never be implemented even if he should become President, because it is not fundable.

I do believe that Kerry would attempt to initiate the importation of prescription drugs which would be a great thing, IMO.

That's about the only difference.

On second thought, Kerry might actually do something about the horrendous prescription drug bill that Bush got passed - a bill that was written by the drug manufacturers, insurance companies, and HMOs - a bill that primarily benefits those folks, not the seniors who it should primarily benefit.
Old 10-27-04, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

On the issue of attendance - why are you so concerned? I wasn't aware that you were a citizen of MA. Why not let them make the decision as to whether Kerry has performed his duties? After all, he represents them, not you.
If I am hiring someone for a job and disregard facts like someone not doing over 90% of a major task in a prior job, then I am very likely going to get fired. Just relying on comments from past employers is a dangerous practice. If you choose to delegate decision making, you take the risk. This person is asking me to effectively hire him. I am going to look at job performance and any facts that are available. Just because someone is representing someone else does not make it different than any other time a person applies for a job. That is why it matters to me.

And as for the president, wherever he is he acts on legislation put in front of him. His job description allows him to do just that. Kerry even has a private jet and knows when the votes are for the most part. Would be easy for him to schedule a stop in DC if need be...

Last edited by matchpenalty; 10-27-04 at 06:21 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.