Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Bush Could Seek Up to $75 Billion in War Funding

Old 10-26-04, 02:10 PM
Premium Member

Bush Could Seek Up to $75 Billion in War Funding

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Bush administration, faced with a growing insurgency and record fuel costs, plans early next year to seek $50 billion to $75 billion in emergency funding for military operations in Iraq (news - web sites) and Afghanistan (news - web sites), administration and congressional officials said on Tuesday.

The White House Office of Management and Budget said it was premature to discuss the size of the upcoming supplemental spending request, which would bring total U.S. funding for military operations and reconstruction efforts in Iraq and Afghanistan to as much as $280 billion.

The White House said President Bush (news - web sites), if re-elected on Nov. 2, would submit his next funding request to the U.S. Congress in late January or early February, following a full assessment of the Pentagon (news - web sites)'s needs in the coming months.

The White House had initially said the Pentagon would need around $50 billion in additional funding early next year. But officials familiar with the deliberations said the final package could total as much as $75 billion, and possibly more if the anti-American insurgency intensifies and the United States is forced to send additional troops to Iraq.

[more]
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...usa_funding_dc

Someone explain why he does not include the cost of the war in the budget? Exactly how does he plan to pay for this, with tax cuts?
Old 10-26-04, 02:13 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Someone explain why he does not include the cost of the war in the budget? Exactly how does he plan to pay for this, with tax cuts?
Tax cuts increase revenues due to boosting the economy.
Is Kerry going to vote for it before he votes against it this time or is he going to vote against it before he votes for it?
Old 10-26-04, 02:15 PM

Is Kerry going to vote for it before he votes against it this time or is he going to vote against it before he votes for it?
You're assuming he shows up to vote in the first place
Old 10-26-04, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk God

All of the 'wars' for the past 20 years or so have been funded through supplementals.

The budgetary process occurs once a year - at the beginning (or very near) the beginning of the session. It's difficult to plan well in advance how much a war is going to cost when you can't forsee every occurrence.

It's kind of like hurricanes - it's hard to know how much to budget for them 6 months in advance.
Old 10-26-04, 02:26 PM
Premium Member

Hey c-man havent seen you much - hope all is well!

But we know we are going to be in Iraq at least for a few years and we know we have a plan at least for the next year (I hope). So those basic cost should be in the budget.
Old 10-26-04, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

deja vu? What happened to the outrageous amount from before?
Old 10-26-04, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk God

I believe some areas of the military in Iraq could be budgeted.

However, it's probably an easier task for the administration to come up with one, two or three supplementals per year.

I'm much more concerned with the cost of what we're doing in Iraq than I am of how it is budgeted.
Old 10-26-04, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by dick_grayson
deja vu? What happened to the outrageous amount from before?
It was spent. That's what happened to it.
Old 10-26-04, 02:36 PM

Was it? I thought one of the recent problems/complaints was lack of accountability of what actually happened to the money. Was that resolved?
Old 10-26-04, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by nemein
Was it? I thought one of the recent problems/complaints was lack of accountability of what actually happened to the money. Was that resolved?
I believe that was in reference to the money that was allocated for the reconstruction of Iraq - not the money to 'support the troops.'
Old 10-26-04, 02:42 PM

gotcha
Old 10-27-04, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by bhk
Tax cuts increase revenues due to boosting the economy.
How do tax cuts increase revenues? My understanding is that revenues are the entire amount of money that a company generates, before taxes and before charges. The net would be increased, but not revenues.

I'm not an economics expert by any means, but I don't think your explanation does anything to answer the question - how will decreasing taxes pay for the war?

Finally, what exactly does Kerry have to do with decreasing taxes to account for an additional $75 billion for the war? Or was that just thrown in for misdirection?
Old 10-27-04, 04:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

letter to Bush

Dr Mr Bush,

Stop wasting our money
Thanks

Sincerely

tax payers

Last edited by Bacon; 10-27-04 at 04:28 AM.
Old 10-27-04, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Canadian Bacon
letter to Bush

Dr Mr Bush,

Stop wasting our money
Thanks

Sincerely

tax payers
You've addressed the letter to the wrong person(s).
Old 10-27-04, 12:10 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not an economics expert by any means, but I don't think your explanation does anything to answer the question - how will decreasing taxes pay for the war?
Despite a lower tax rate, the revenue will increase due to an expanded tax-base due to improvement in the economy. This has happened when taxes have been cut in the past.
Old 10-27-04, 12:26 PM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: Across the Hudson [email protected]: Hoboken. LET'S GO YANKS!
Originally posted by bhk
Despite a lower tax rate, the revenue will increase due to an expanded tax-base due to improvement in the economy. This has happened when taxes have been cut in the past.
The relationship between tax cuts and economical improvement has never been proven.
Old 10-27-04, 01:20 PM
Admin-MemeCat

Originally posted by classicman2
You've addressed the letter to the wrong person(s).
He's back!
Old 10-27-04, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk God

You address the letter about spending to the folks that do the budgeting - but mainly the appropriating.

The President doesn't do either.