Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

How come Hillary will never run for pres. if Kerry wins?

Old 10-26-04, 09:45 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

How come Hillary will never run for pres. if Kerry wins?

Ive heard it said Kerry winning will kill chances for Hillary to run for the office someday. Why?

Sure in 8 years, she will be older but not THAT old. Is it a given that Edwards would run? That Hillary couldnt beat Edwards in the primaries?
Old 10-26-04, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

IF Kerry is elected, IF he is re-elected and IF Edwards runs 8 years from now: I don't see her beating a sitting VP in the primaries (or Obama ).

That's a lot of "ifs", however.
Old 10-26-04, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

She will never run for President because she will bring every Conservative out of the woodwork to campaign against her.
Old 10-26-04, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk God

The reason would be that Kerry would be the presumptive nominee the following election. So if Kerry wins, she can't run for 8 years, and she is no spring chicknen
Old 10-26-04, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Also, she comes up for re-election for her senate seat in 2006. And it's heavily rumored that Rudi will be looking to run for senate again.

But here's a scenerio that's been bouncing around on FreeRepublic. Kerry wins next week. Kerry nominates Hillary for a Supreme Court Justice seat, and supports Bill for the Secretary General of the UN. In return, the Clintons put all their weight (legal and illegal) behind ensuring Kerry comes out on top after the fallout of this election.

Hillary as a Supreme Court Justice is even scarier than her as President.
Old 10-26-04, 10:13 AM

No doubt I hadn't heard that one before... thanks for the nightmares man Of course she has a snowball's chance in hell of getting through the senate confirmation process though
Old 10-26-04, 10:14 AM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

She will never run for President because she will bring every Conservative out of the woodwork to campaign against her.
Dick Morris has said that the plan for them was 8 years him, 8 years her. People keep saying that Clinton came and stumped for Kerry but it looked more like Clinton came and stumped for himself.
Old 10-26-04, 11:16 AM
Banned

Originally posted by neiname
Thatís different from this election how? You aren't seriously suggesting that there are self-professed conservatives sitting this one out?
Old 10-26-04, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Contactsport1
Thatís different from this election how? You aren't seriously suggesting that there are self-professed conservatives sitting this one out?
Many sat out 2000. Many, many more sat out 1996. A large number sat out 1992.
Old 10-26-04, 11:35 AM
Banned

Originally posted by kvrdave
The reason would be that Kerry would be the presumptive nominee the following election. So if Kerry wins, she can't run for 8 years, and she is no spring chicknen
Some of these might be off by a year, but Reagan was 69 when he ran in 80, Hilary will only be 64-65. Bob Dole ran at 73. Bush Sr. was also 65 when he ran. Eisenhower was 63.
Old 10-26-04, 11:36 AM
Banned

Originally posted by classicman2
Many sat out 2000. Many, many more sat out 1996. A large number sat out 1992.
Not the question.
Old 10-26-04, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I would say yes. As for myself I haven't lifted a finger for this election but be damn sure I would be the first to volunteer against Hillary if she ran.
Old 10-26-04, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk God

Not the question.
You're the one that's making the assumption that conservatives are galvanized for 2000.

I'm simply stating that since they haven't been so galvanized in the past - what makes you believe they are in 2004?
Old 10-26-04, 11:55 AM
Banned

You're the one that's making the assumption that conservatives are galvanized for 2000.
I can only assume this is a typo. If not, then I have no idea what your talking about. 2004?

I'm simply stating that since they haven't been so galvanized in the past - what makes you believe they are in 2004?
I'm not talking about past elections, I'm talking about this one. I didn't compare it to other elections, I compared it to this one. Whether they show up for the polls or not remains to be seen, but party faithful from both sides have become fanatical about this election.
Old 10-26-04, 12:01 PM

Not sure about sitting it out, but perhaps voting for Mr. Kerry.

Link
Old 10-26-04, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Why do folks believe that conservatives are galvanized in 2004?

Or why do folks believe that both sides are more fanatical about this election than previous ones?

Because the media told them so.

Let's not forget that it's the media's job to hype the election.

Granted this is 'water cooler' evidence, but the folks I associate with (folks that are going to vote) are not any more galvanized or fanatical than they have been in the past.

BTW: It's also to the 'advantage' of the media to have a close election.
Old 10-26-04, 12:10 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Pharoh
Not sure about sitting it out, but perhaps voting for Mr. Kerry.

Link
Maybe, I just don't think you're going to see more people engaged in an election than you are right now.
Old 10-26-04, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by darkflounder
Also, she comes up for re-election for her senate seat in 2006. And it's heavily rumored that Rudi will be looking to run for senate again.

But here's a scenerio that's been bouncing around on FreeRepublic. Kerry wins next week. Kerry nominates Hillary for a Supreme Court Justice seat, and supports Bill for the Secretary General of the UN. In return, the Clintons put all their weight (legal and illegal) behind ensuring Kerry comes out on top after the fallout of this election.

I don't think so. Yeah - she'd be a liberal member of the Court, but as such, she would not wield much power. Compare Ginsburg vs O'Connor. Who is more important?

Regardless, it wouldn't happen. President Kerry won't get a liberal nominee through a GOP Senate.
Old 10-26-04, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk God

You let Hillary run for President and see.

I believe the people would be much more engaged if that should occur than they are now.
Old 10-26-04, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Red Dog
I don't think so. Yeah - she'd be a liberal member of the Court, but as such, she would not wield much power. Compare Ginsburg vs O'Connor. Who is more important?

Regardless, it wouldn't happen. President Kerry won't get a liberal nominee through a GOP Senate.
Hillary Clinton has a far less chance of becoming a Supreme Court Justice than I do. And, I'm not a lawyer.

If Kerry is elected, it's payback time in the U. S. Senate.
Old 10-26-04, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by darkflounder
Also, Martians invade the country, anally rape us all, and impose a communist dictatorship.

Don't Freepers have anything better to do than worry about implausible nightmare scenarios?
Old 10-26-04, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by neiname
I would say yes. As for myself I haven't lifted a finger for this election but be damn sure I would be the first to volunteer against Hillary if she ran.
Out of curiosity, why? What is it about her that makes you think she'd be a worse President than Bush or Kerry?
Old 10-26-04, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by JasonF
Out of curiosity, why? What is it about her that makes you think she'd be a worse President than Bush or Kerry?
Yes!
Old 10-26-04, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Some of these might be off by a year, but Reagan was 69 when he ran in 80, Hilary will only be 64-65. Bob Dole ran at 73. Bush Sr. was also 65 when he ran. Eisenhower was 63.
I get your point, but I don't think we would (as a society) look at an older woman the way we do with an older man. When a woman is elected president, she won't be more than 55, imo.

And the idea of Hillary on the Supreme Cout is truly tinfoil hat material. She has as much chance at confimation as John Ashcroft.
Old 10-26-04, 12:33 PM
Admin-Thanos

If Kerry is elected, it's payback time in the U. S. Senate.
You mean impeachment? We've already gone through that with a Dem prez and a Repub Congress.

Is Flip Flopping a high crime and misdemeanor?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.