Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Texas Newspaper 2004 Presidential endorsements

Old 10-25-04, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Texas Newspaper 2004 Presidential endorsements

By The Associated Press

Endorsements by Texas newspapers in the 2004 presidential campaign between President Bush, a Republican, and Sen. John Kerry, a Democrat.

Bush

The Austin American-Statesman on Oct. 24:

"President Bush got some things wrong, but there is much he got right. We are faced with an unrelenting foe who strikes from the shadows and won't be deterred by diplomacy or international resolutions. Bush's resolve and commitment to stay the course are clear.

The Houston Chronicle on Oct. 24:

"In the days and weeks following Sept. 11, 2001, Bush displayed the courage, resolve and leadership that the nation will require during the next four years. .... Like many people, Bush finds it difficult to admit a mistake, particularly when under attack on all sides. However, history is replete with instances in which imperfect but confident national leaders proved preferable to cautious, indecisive ones."

The Dallas Morning News on Oct. 17:

"Four years ago, when the world was much simpler, George W. Bush sought the presidency claiming that he had 'a charge to keep.' ... Mr. Bush has earned the right to hold firm to his charge for another term."

The El Paso Times on Oct. 17:

"This nation is engaged in two wars. One is in Iraq, and it would not be advisable to change command and policy in the middle of the fight. .... Then there's the war on terror...the battle against terrorism is progressing both domestically and internationally. That shouldn't be interrupted."

The Fort Worth Star-Telegram on Oct. 17:

"Given the political leanings of the nation and Congress, it requires a Republican president it requires George W. Bush to be able to make, and sell, the difficult decisions that the next four years will bring."

The San Antonio Express-News on Oct. 17:

"The Bush administration is more likely to remain resolute on the war in Iraq than would an administration headed by his opponent, Sen. John Kerry of Massachusetts. The vision of a free democratic Iraq to counter Islamic extremism and dictatorships is worth that resolve."

Kerry

Waco Tribune-Herald on Oct. 24:

The reality of terrorism, our tenuous fiscal situation and the stark polarization of this nation mandate a thorough evaluation of the direction in which this country is headed. ... Kerry is best suited to defend the nation, to mend its fiscal situation, and to bring it back together.

I was shocked to see the Austin paper going with Bush. I see a ton of anti-Bush stuff every day.
___
Old 10-25-04, 01:09 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Protesters gathered at the office of the Austin newspaper to protest their choice.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald...0011253.htm?1c

Bunch of Morans.
Old 10-25-04, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

BigDaddy:

Don't forget the Lone Star Iconoclast for Kerry
Old 10-25-04, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Can you post the article. Those must be the same people with the Bush is a Punk Ass Bitch.
Old 10-25-04, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by nevermind
BigDaddy:

Don't forget the Lone Star Iconoclast for Kerry

I just posted the article those were the ones listed. Add all that you can find.
Old 10-25-04, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by BigDaddy
Can you post the article. Those must be the same people with the Bush is a Punk Ass Bitch.

Sure, although I don't see punk ass bitch anywhere in it

http://www.iconoclast-texas.com/Colu...ditorial39.htm
Old 10-25-04, 01:46 PM

I was a little surprised when I read the endorsement in the Express-News (even though they endorsed him in 2000, as well). However, the endorsement by the Austin American-Statesmen is a shock.
Old 10-25-04, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Some people here may be anti-Bush... but at least they still know better than to vote for Kerry.
Old 10-25-04, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by bhk
Protesters gathered at the office of the Austin newspaper to protest their choice.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald...0011253.htm?1c

Bunch of Morans.
I am guessing same article.

By Michelle M. Martinez

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Sunday, October 24, 2004

At least 300 Austinites, furious about the Austin American-Statesman's endorsement of President Bush for a second term, gathered on the Congress Avenue bridge Sunday to protest.

The newspaper's editorial board gave Bush a cautious endorsement in its Sunday edition, running a long piece in the Insight section.

"I thought it was very interesting to read because it reads like an endorsement of Kerry," said Sarah Bird, who wore a shirt that read, "Kiss Bush Goodbye!" "They just put the wrong name on it."

According to protesters, efforts to organize the opposition through e-mails and telephone calls began shortly after the American-Statesman posted the editorial on its Web site at 6 p.m. Saturday.

"As soon as it hit online, people started phoning and e-mailing and saying, 'What should we do?' " said Glen Maxey, a former state representative from Austin who took charge with a bullhorn Saturday, urging people to go door-to-door promoting U.S. Sen. John Kerry and his running mate, Sen. John Edwards.

The endorsement picks Bush as the best candidate to lead the country during the war on terror. It gives him credit for prodding Libya to give up its nuclear program and for Afghanistan's first free presidential election. The editorial praises Bush for staying the course when faced with an unrelenting foe, among other things it says he got right.

But it also points out what it describes as the Bush administration's mistakes, including its reliance on flawed intelligence related to the war in Iraq and its inability to admit lapses in judgment. The editorial calls on Bush to get rid of Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, his deputy, Paul Wolfowitz, and Attorney General John Ashcroft, and expresses concern about the erosion of civil liberties on Bush's watch.

The board concludes, "We do not make this endorsement lightly or without reservation, and we ask that the president return our faith by acknowledging his failures and acting to correct them."

The Dallas Morning News, Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Houston Chronicle and San Antonio Express-News have also endorsed Bush, who served as governor of Texas from 1995 until 2001.

Young adults, parents with babies and middle-aged people alike showed up to express their views. Protester after protester said they thought the editorial board's endorsement was an indictment of Bush and his administration and a case for why Kerry should have been endorsed.

"Austin will go to Kerry-Edwards by double digits," resident Pat Miller said. "We think the editorial makes a case for one thing and says another."

American-Statesman Editor Rich Oppel said the editorial board will let the endorsement speak for itself.

"One of the great things about Austin is that people feel strongly about politics and act on their beliefs," he said. "As for the Statesman's editorial board, we join Senator Kerry's Austin supporters in celebrating our First Amendment rights."

A cacophony of honking horns filled the bridge as drivers indicated their support for Kerry and Edwards. Protesters inked their anger toward the newspaper on a variety of signs, from one that proclaimed simply "The Austin community emphatically rejects the local daily's endorsement of George W. Bush," to the creative "A.A.S.-inine," to the downright scathing "I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it anymore! I want my country back! I want my state back! Fire Bush & Oppel."

Shinny Happy People.
Old 10-25-04, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Liberals are so odd. I know conservatives protest things as well, but nobody can protest like a liberal. It is one thing that conservatives have never really learned. The fact that you can get even 5 people to join a protest (an actual protest) over who a paper endorsed is a testament to them.
Old 10-25-04, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk God

The Austin American-Statesman's endorsement of Bush is a surprise.