Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Edwards Wife: No Riots If We Win

Old 10-25-04, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Edwards Wife: No Riots If We Win

The wife of Dem vice presidential hopeful John Edwards said on Sunday there will be no riots around the election -- if Kerry/Edwards wins!

C-SPAN cameras captured spouse Elizabeth Edwards making the startling comments to a supporter during a Kerry Campaign Town Hall Meeting in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.

Supporter: Kerry's going to take PA.

Liz Edwards: I know that.

Supporter: I'm just worried there's going to be riots afterwards.

Liz Edwards: Uh.....well...not if we win.

Sound Clip
Old 10-25-04, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 10-25-04, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Nice bargain!
Old 10-25-04, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This is a great response to all the threads that insult Laura Bush and Lynne Cheney.

Bravo.
Old 10-25-04, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by chess
This is a great response to all the threads that insult Laura Bush and Lynne Cheney.

Bravo.
Find me somewhere where either of them said something so completely fucking stupid and I'll give them a too .
Old 10-25-04, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 10-25-04, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So, she's threatening riots if they lose?
Old 10-25-04, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by OldDude
So, she's threatening riots if they lose?
an absolutely fair interpretation of an off the cuff remark.
Old 10-25-04, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh jeez...

i have a hunch that she was thinking of the sort of riots you see when a sports team wins. hopefully you folks can extrapolate from there. if not, please feel free to post something stupid.
Old 10-25-04, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Kinda hard to compete with the material in question, doncha think?
Old 10-25-04, 11:18 AM

i have a hunch that she was thinking of the sort of riots you see when a sports team wins. hopefully you folks can extrapolate from there. if not, please feel free to post something stupid.
Actually I think a more accurate reading would be in the same sense as the Cheney/terrorist attacks. Both statements feed into both sides and allow them to interpret it in whatever way they choose to give it the ultimate meaning they want it to have.
Old 10-25-04, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep, there'll be rioting if Bush wins.

In cities like Tehran, Gaza City, and Pyongyang.
DVD Talk Ruler

i have a hunch that she was thinking of the sort of riots you see when a sports team wins.
Yeah there were so many republican riots 4 years ago when Bush won.
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hear the repubs are planning to vote overwhelmingly for K/E, and then riot when they win...just to prove her wrong!
Old 10-25-04, 11:23 AM
Banned

Holy smokes. Time to change my vote.

One notch up on the scale is the idea that you think this statement is worth a thread to at.

Whoopeefreeaaakinnngdooo.
Old 10-25-04, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by General Zod
Yeah there were so many republican riots 4 years ago when Bush won.
Well, since a minority of voters actually voted for Bush, most were surprised he pulled it off.

The Dems didn't riot in glee in 2000, obviously. The ignominious inauguration parade was shame enough.

However, if K/E manage the upset, there will be much glee. The majority would have spoken!
Old 10-25-04, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not to be too factual, but there has *never* been an example of 'the majority speaking.' The biggest turnout I recall in the past century has been just over 60%, once or twice, and a couple with 50-60%. Even 75% of 60% is not a majority.
And a majority did vote for Bush--a majority of the Electoral College, which is, after all, how things are done.

And if she's thinking about the sorts of riots when a sports team wins, well, that's almost as bad; I think most of those people are stupid thoughtless dangerous a-holes. [When I was in college in Athens and the Atlanta Braves made it to the World Series, the campus exploded. Figuratively. People hooted and hollered, and went downtown to party. But there were no flaming cars, no smashing of windows, no cops with tear gas and riot gear. That's the 'riot' I'm thinking of.]
Old 10-25-04, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by nemein
Actually I think a more accurate reading would be in the same sense as the Cheney/terrorist attacks. Both statements feed into both sides and allow them to interpret it in whatever way they choose to give it the ultimate meaning they want it to have.
Uh-huh...she was able to process this all off the cuff in an answer to an exceedingly off the wall question.

Let's see...what can I say that will sound benign to one group of people and sinister to another?

Got it!

Old 10-25-04, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The west side of Chicago burned when the Bulls won, and Chicago is not the only place this has happened.

Just last Wednesday, a 21 year old girl died when she was shot in the eye by riot-control police when the Red Sox won the ALCS.

Riots are riots, even when sports teams win.
Old 10-25-04, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by dtcarson
And if she's thinking about the sorts of riots when a sports team wins, well, that's almost as bad; I think most of those people are stupid thoughtless dangerous a-holes. [When I was in college in Athens and the Atlanta Braves made it to the World Series, the campus exploded. Figuratively. People hooted and hollered, and went downtown to party. But there were no flaming cars, no smashing of windows, no cops with tear gas and riot gear. That's the 'riot' I'm thinking of.]
Right, she's saying "i can only speak for our side, and we won't do it".

c'mon folks...reading comprehension iz gud.
Old 10-25-04, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by dtcarson

Athens, GA is not what I'd call a city. That would be a neighborhood in an actual city.
Old 10-25-04, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

How the hell can she speak for her side? Does she have control of people? Can she tell her people not to riot? Absolutely not...its a threat.
Old 10-25-04, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by chanster
How the hell can she speak for her side? Does she have control of people? Can she tell her people not to riot? Absolutely not...its a threat.
Old 10-25-04, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Right, she's saying "i can only speak for our side, and we won't do it - if we win".
Fixed.
Old 10-25-04, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by nevermind
Find me somewhere where either of them said something so completely fucking stupid and I'll give them a too .
unfortunately...or fortunately really...nobody on the democratic side seems to be interested in vilifying the first or second lady.

go figure.

[on second thought, i'm sure some asshole has blog somewhere for just this purpose, but i'm certainly not bored enough to look]

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.