Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Kerry: Bush Allowed Bin Laden to Escape

Old 10-23-04, 03:00 PM
Banned

Kerry: Bush Allowed Bin Laden to Escape

more flip-flop

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...ry_bin_laden_3

RENO, Nev. - Democratic Sen. John Kerry (news - web sites) said Friday that Osama bin Laden (news - web sites) would be in captivity or dead if Kerry had been president during the war against Afghanistan (news - web sites).

Kerry accused President Bush (news - web sites) of allowing bin Laden to escape by relying on Afghan warlords to try to hunt the al-Qaida chief down in the caves of Tora Bora in December 2001.

"Can you imagine trusting them when you have your 10th Mountain Division, the United States Marine Corps, when you had all the power and ability of the best-trained military in the world?" Kerry told a rally at the University of Nevada-Reno. "I would have used our military and we would have gone after and captured or killed Osama bin Laden. That's tough."

Kerry said Bush is trying to make the election about national security and the war on terror, and he welcomes the debate.

"You want to talk about the war on terror, Mr. President? Let's talk about it," Kerry yelled while his supporters cheered him on. "Let's talk about what happened when you let Osama bin Laden escape in Afghanistan.

"Let's talk about what happened when we had the world's number one terrorist, number one criminal, cornered in the mountains of Tora Bora. What did the president do? Do you know what he did? He outsourced the job of capturing him, just like he outsourced a lot of American jobs. He gave it to Afghan warlords who only one week earlier were fighting against us."

There has been no definitive conclusion bin Laden was in the caves of Tora Bora in December 2001 when U.S. and Afghan troops surrounded the complex and U.S. warplanes blanketed the area with bombs. But U.S. military and intelligence officials believe he probably was, and U.S. forces did largely rely on Afghan forces on the ground to go after him.

Bush spokesman Steve Schmidt said the Democrat's claim was "another exaggeration of John Kerry, saying anything no matter how untrue it is."

"During the time of when the United States was engaged in offensive operations in Tora Bora, John Kerry praised that strategy and tactics," Schmidt said.
Old 10-23-04, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yes, and if he'd been president in place of FDR on 12/7/41, there'd have been no Pearl Harbor debacle.

Monday morning quarterbacking is easy.
Old 10-23-04, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hell. if he'd been President in 1776, we wouldn't have even had to fight the British. They'd have dropped their guns and run away.
Old 10-23-04, 03:53 PM

Hell. if he'd been President in 1776, we wouldn't have even had to fight the British. They'd have dropped their guns and run away.
I think if he had been "President" in 1776 we would still be subjects loyal to the crown (which would still probably have real power).
Old 10-23-04, 04:02 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Well, he's wrong and has insulted our special forces who were there. Not only that, remarkably similar to his flip-flops on the Patriot Act he flip flops again.
No Kerry, with you as president, we still would have been waiting for the UN General Assembly to administer a "global test".
Old 10-23-04, 04:23 PM

No Kerry, with you as president, we still would have been waiting for the UN General Assembly to administer a "global test".
Given the way the UN seemed to be going Kerry would be having a tough time even keeping sanctions in place right now... or maybe he would have flipped on that by now too and let them lapse.
Old 10-23-04, 04:39 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Edwards added in his appearance:
"If John Kerry was the President, he would have arrested Satan by now."
Old 10-23-04, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk God

"During the time of when the United States was engaged in offensive operations in Tora Bora, John Kerry praised that strategy and tactics," Schmidt said.

If Kerry were president, Schmidt wouldn't have said that.
Old 10-23-04, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You want FLIP-FLOPPING?

"The most important thing is for us to find Osama bin Laden. It is our number one priority and we will not rest until we find him."
- G.W. Bush, 9/13/01
You go George! We're with you!

"I don't know where bin Laden is. I have no idea and really don't care. It's not that important. It's not our priority."
- G.W. Bush, 3/13/02
Of course not. 6 months later, Iraq somehow became more important.

Bush is a disgrace.
Old 10-23-04, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by CRM114
You want FLIP-FLOPPING?

Bush is a disgrace.
He isn't even in single A ball compared to Kerry and you know it.
Old 10-23-04, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by kvrdave
You're right because Bush is in the majors! Bush is President, not Kerry.
Old 10-23-04, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This was the single biggest flip-flop in history. Bin Laden isn't a priority? Oh my. What an ignoramous.
Old 10-23-04, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If Kerry were president... we would all be French by now
Old 10-23-04, 04:47 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

6 months later, Iraq somehow became more important.
That's funny, I see it as: "The war on terror is more important than one individual". Taking what he said in context, the latter is more consistant. Besides, it isn't as if Bin Laden isn't being hunted now. For all we know, he may be dead.
Old 10-23-04, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Yeah....hard to believe with all the bad about Bush and how consistant Kerry has been that he isn't running away with this election. Your pain will be over soon, and you can go back to bitching mode for another 4 years.
Old 10-23-04, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah....hard to believe with all the bad about Bush and how consistant Kerry has been that he isn't running away with this election. Your pain will be over soon, and you can go back to bitching mode for another 4 years.
Old 10-23-04, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Like I said many times, I expect Bush to win. The pain will be far greater for the right if Kerry manages an upset. Two 1-term Bushies in a row.
Old 10-23-04, 05:16 PM

Like I said many times, I expect Bush to win. The pain will be far greater for the right if Kerry manages an upset. Two 1-term Bushies in a row.
I suspect you are underestimating the pain that is going to be felt by the left if Bush is reelected, particularly if it is by EC and pop. vote.
Old 10-23-04, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by nemein
I think if he had been "President" in 1776 we would still be subjects loyal to the crown (which would still probably have real power).
No, no, today is "tuff Kerry", tomorrow is "waffling wuss Kerry." I know its confusing, but keep track, man.
Old 10-23-04, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by CRM114
Trust me, it would be almost a relief. I have flip flopped on that myself (heh heh). I could finally quit listening to crap like moveon.org, etc. All the bitching would turn to defending stuff that 70% of the country is against, and Michael Moore would go back to hating the Democrats in favor of Nader types. I do want to see that again. Suddenly all the butt kissing to Moore would now become indignation.

I could live with Kerry being president just to stop listening to hippies for a few years.
Old 10-23-04, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by OldDude
No, no, today is "tuff Kerry", tomorrow is "waffling wuss Kerry." I know its confusing, but keep track, man.
Yup, to quote that hilarious wind surfing ad: "John Kerry, whichever way the wind blows." On another note, it's laughable how people take Bush's comment about not being worried about Bin Laden out of context. Bush was saying he wasn't worried about him making another attack on U.S. soil because we had tracked down 3/4 of his flunkies and Osama is / was on the run hiding in a damn cave like the rat he is.
Old 10-23-04, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by SuprVgeta
Bush was saying he wasn't worried about him making another attack on U.S. soil because we had tracked down 3/4 of his flunkies and Osama is / was on the run hiding in a damn cave like the rat he is.
Yes, but he failed to mention that those 3/4 flunkies have been replaced by other flunkies...so he really didn't make much progress.

And if Bush was saying he wasn't worried about OBL attacking US soil again, why are he and Cheney on the stump now saying that a nuclear attack on US soil could come at any time?

As Clinton said about Bush, Sr. when he was running for President, "If you can't be right, be wrong as LOUD as you can!"

Seriously though - I can't believe people are falling for the ol' "vote for us, or the world will end" retoric that Bush/Cheney are using now. Reminds me of when the Democrats were trying to stop Reagan from getting elected because they were saying he'd start World War III.
Old 10-23-04, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Christopher Reeve would be walking too

I'm pretty sure we did have units at Tora Bora
Old 10-23-04, 06:28 PM
Banned

I could live with Kerry being president just to stop listening to hippies for a few years.

You have a time machine or something? There haven't been hippies around for decades.
Old 10-23-04, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Captain Pike

You have a time machine or something? There haven't been hippies around for decades.

Hippie is a state of mind. They may shower more often than they use to, but they are still all around us

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.