Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

What's wrong with having to show up to the correct polling place and have ID?

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 10-22-04, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY

there was a story on the news tonight about one of the parties suing to get rid of rules requiring voters to show up to the correct location and/or have ID
WTF is wrong with either of those requirements (other than the obvious "it's easier to vote 5 or 6 times without these sensible laws" thing)?

Last edited by mikehunt; 10-22-04 at 06:35 PM.
Old 10-22-04, 06:45 PM
Banned

because then lazy, unemployed, uneducated, illiterate, unmotivated "democrats" couldn't be shuffled in lock step to check off john kerry, or whoever the current dem is.
Old 10-22-04, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, that must be it.

Many folks, especially in cities where cars (and therefore driver's licences) aren't necessary, do not automatically have photo IDs.

Now let's see...who lives in urban areas with public transportation and can't afford cars.

Old 10-22-04, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well in Illinois, a State ID card (which looks just like a DL) is considered just as good as a DL when it comes to ID. They are about 3 to 5 bucks, and are good for 5 years.
Old 10-22-04, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

bottom line: it's a rule clearly instituted to favor one group of people over another. Whether it's Rs and Ds or haves and have nots, it's wrong and is likely to be interpreted as being covered by the equal protection clause in the bill of rights.
Old 10-22-04, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by chess
bottom line: it's a rule clearly instituted to favor one group of people over another.
Funny... I thought it was a rule instituted to make the system more effective.

It's NO HARDER to get a state ID card than it is to get a voter registration card.

If you don't have to provide ID to get a voter registration card, you darn well better be required to provide it when you vote.
Old 10-22-04, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, that must be it.

Many folks, especially in cities where cars (and therefore driver's licences) aren't necessary, do not automatically have photo IDs.

Now let's see...who lives in urban areas with public transportation and can't afford cars.

hehe, I see you slipped in the "can't afford" in there to spin it. nice try. There are people in urban areas who simply don't NEED a car. (but could afford it)

There are quite a few ways for people to get a photo id. Besides, going by your deliberately skewed profile of "urban citizens" don't these same people who can't afford cars need some form of id at those check cashing places?
Old 10-22-04, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
many states have non driver photo ids
a voter registration card could also be used as id for voting but I've heard people be against asking for those at the polling location as well
Old 10-22-04, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I can see how the voting location could be a pain if you didn't have transportation, and there should be a mail-in absentee option for these people.

But not requiring ID at any point in the voting process... I just don't see how anyone can make any sense whatsoever out of that.
Old 10-22-04, 09:18 PM

Asking for ID is illegal in 30 of the states.

Asking for ID, along with literacy tests and poll taxes were once used to disenfranchise black voters.
Old 10-22-04, 09:23 PM

Originally posted by Thor Simpson
I can see how the voting location could be a pain if you didn't have transportation, and there should be a mail-in absentee option for these people.

But not requiring ID at any point in the voting process... I just don't see how anyone can make any sense whatsoever out of that.

But generally speaking, an individual's polling place should be the closest one to them, especially if they were honest about their voter registration information. There is only one realistic reason why one would want to both show up at an incorrect polling location and not show ID.
Old 10-22-04, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by gettinbranded

Asking for ID, along with literacy tests and poll taxes were once used to disenfranchise black voters.
Yeah, Now it is used to enfranchise illegal aliens. What a breakthru.
Old 10-22-04, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Clearly nothing is wrong with being at the right polling place or having a valid ID that says you are who you say you are, but Democrats don't want that because a) they'd lose half their votes and b) they couldn't cheat to get the other half. hehe
Old 10-22-04, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Pharoh
But generally speaking, an individual's polling place should be the closest one to them, especially if they were honest about their voter registration information.
If I didn't have a car and I worked downtown I'd much rather register downtown on my lunchbreak.

I don't even know how i'd take a bus to the place where I have to register locally. It's only about a 3 minute drive so I'm not complaining. If I had to get there, I would, or I'd have requested an absentee ballot and reduced the hassle. I know that required voting areas are designed to distribute the load, but as long as there was a good electronic system of only counting a voter once wherever they register, there's no reason why you wouldn't be able to vote anywhere in your state (with suggested locations for shorter waits).

That's the location issue. The ID issue is stupid and of course it should be required. If you have positive ID and a way to make sure that person only votes once, problem solved.

Whoever is committing these frauds should face a <B>severe</B> penalty and I hope any instances are investigated heavily on both sides. I wouldn't be oposed to long jail time and <B>permanent</B> inability to vote in this country, if not loss of citizenship. They have no respect for the value of our individual votes and completely disregard the democratic procss for personal gain.

I can understand why people are passionate about who they want to be elected. That's the power of a vote and being vocal about your opinions during campaigning. But when ABB means anything goes to get rid of Bush, that's just wrong, and it's wrong on both sides without question.

Last edited by Th0r S1mpson; 10-22-04 at 10:48 PM.
Old 10-22-04, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Thor Simpson
If I didn't have a car and I worked downtown I'd much rather register downtown on my lunchbreak.

I don't even know how i'd take a bus to the place where I have to register locally.
My understanding of Motor Voter is that you can register at any Secretary of State office (in your right state) but they register your home address and you have to vote at the proper precinct. (And if you were at the wrong precinct, presumably your ballot would be incorrect for at least some local offices.)

I think it would be unreasonable to expect every precinct to have ballots for every other precinct.

Keep in mind you only register once (until you move). You vote every year or two.
Old 10-22-04, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

bottom line: it's a rule clearly instituted to favor one group of people over another.
what?!?!

obviously not that clearly since i think most would suspect it was instituted to cut down on fraud.
Old 10-22-04, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by gettinbranded

i think the point of the thread was that it shouldn't be illegal.

just because it was used for something bad in the past doesn't mean it itself is bad
Old 10-22-04, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You're absolutely right. It is a rule designed to favor one group (non-fraudulent voters) over another group (fraudulent voters).
Old 10-22-04, 11:57 PM
Suspended

Here's the problem.

The DNC busses hundreds of thousands of unregistered voters w/ no personal identification to the polls on election day. These people demand their Constitutional right to vote. In these inner city precincts...they ARE allowed to cast their vote, even though they haven't qualified. After they've voted, everyone get's back on the bus, and they're driven to the polling station in another district...once more, they are allowed to vote. After each and every unqualified voter has been allowed to vote five or six times....everyone is rewarded with a Free bucket of KFC and an all expense paid trip to the Liquor Store.

"Vote Early, And Vote Often"

This Provisional Voting nonsense is Bullshit.
Old 10-23-04, 12:16 AM

Originally posted by Global Observer
Here's the problem.

The DNC busses hundreds of thousands of unregistered voters w/ no personal identification to the polls on election day. These people demand their Constitutional right to vote. In these inner city precincts...they ARE allowed to cast their vote, even though they haven't qualified. After they've voted, everyone get's back on the bus, and they're driven to the polling station in another district...once more, they are allowed to vote. After each and every unqualified voter has been allowed to vote five or six times....everyone is rewarded with a Free bucket of KFC and an all expense paid trip to the Liquor Store.

This has got to win some award for stereotypical almost racist (not you didn't have to name a race--it's clearly inferred) post of the year.
Old 10-23-04, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

State IDs are hard to get??? WTF! All you need to do is go to your DMV, pay something like $20 (yeah, like OMG, crazy), fill out a form, show your birth certificate and SS card (what? that's wrong too?) and smile for the camera.

The identification triangle: State ID/DL, SS card, and birth certificate.
Old 10-23-04, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's amazing how racist Dems look when defending this type of thing.
Old 10-23-04, 01:24 AM
Banned

Should I go to the polling place as a Smith or Johnson?
Old 10-23-04, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've read reports of people traveling long as three weeks for the recent election in Afghanistan.

I don't even have a car, and I vote regularly.

I will truthfully and boldly say to the people whining about lack of transportation to go screw themselves.
Old 10-23-04, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Global Observer
Here's the problem.

Ladies and gentlemen!

I give you......[drumroll]....the republican party.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.