Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

What's wrong with having to show up to the correct polling place and have ID?

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

What's wrong with having to show up to the correct polling place and have ID?

Old 10-26-04, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I voted early last Monday and had to shoe either my ID or Voters Card. I do not see the problem with this. I would feel strange walking around without any ID on me.
Old 10-26-04, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Monday, October 25, 2004

Call it a touch of déjà vu.

On Monday, as Gov. Rick Perry went to vote early with his family at the Travis County Courthouse, his daughter Sydney — 18 years old and voting for the first time — was promptly turned away from the polls.

The reason? She forgot her driver's license.

"It happens to the best of us," Perry remarked, as his daughter headed back to the Governor's Mansion a block away to retrieve her ID. "No special treatment for the governor here."

Seems that in a previous election, Perry himself was turned away for not bringing along his voter registration card. He later returned with it and cast his ballot, as did Sydney on Monday, with a group of other young, new voters.

Travis County Clerk Dana DeBeauvoir, the county's top election administrator, said first-time voters must show a photo ID when they register or when they vote. That's a requirement of the federal Help America Vote Act that took effect in January, and, according to county voter registration director Delores Lopez, "a lot are not showing it when they register, so they'll have to at the polls."

DeBeauvoir said that could spell trouble for those who forget it.

"On Election Day, if they show up in the last 30 minutes, having that photo ID could mean the difference between them voting and not voting," she said. "It's important they bring a photo ID with them."

Of the nearly 45,700 new voters who have signed up in Travis County for the Nov. 2 election, 4,667 are 18 year-olds, like Sydney Perry, officials said.

In all, 584,949 people are registered to vote in Travis County.

Through Sunday, county election officials said more than 102,500 voters had cast ballots in early voting that began Oct. 18 and will end Friday.

"That's about triple the number we usually have. We're off the charts this year," DeBeauvoir said. "Usually about half the people vote early and half vote on Election Day, so we could be headed for a record turnout. The only question is: How many people are voting early this year instead of on Election Day?"

Four years ago, in the previous presidential election, 170,998 Travis County voters cast ballots.
Old 10-26-04, 02:28 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by Draven
Are you seriously attempting to argue that your inclusion of KFC was NOT a reference to black people?

Regardless of what you do, it's a well-known stereotype. You'll get a lot more respect around here if you drop the attitude and say what you actually mean.
I don't want the respect of anyone who believes that 'fried chicken' is a racial slur. If you want to accuse someone of being a Racist, I suggest you contact Terry McAuliffe and the DNC...Maybe you can even convince them to instruct their bus drivers to stop at McDonalds instead.
Old 10-26-04, 02:33 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by Mordred
It's funny when racists attempt to act all offended when everyone realizes that they're racists.
Terry McAuliffe and the DNC = Racists Extradordinaire
Old 10-26-04, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

EDIT: To actually post to the original topic...I think that there is nothing wrong with requiring a photo ID to be able to vote, until they manage to get it down to doing fingerprints or retina scans or some such.

This thread seems to be spiraling out of control, what with all this racism going on.

So there is actual proof that Dems have bussed "inner city people" to multiple polls, and have actually followed it up with KFC and liquor store stops? I think you could have put your point across just fine without putting on the KFC/liquor store part on there at all. Just a thought, but I don't believe it to be an intentionally racist statement, however it may offend some folks that you don't intend to offend (and it will also offend some of those you DO intend to offend!).

Oddly enough, when I came home this evening, hanging on my front door was a "do-not-disturb" styled sign stating the following:

FRONT SIDE:
Kerry Edwards

Early Vote October 18 - November 1, 2004
BROWARD COUNTY EARLY VOTE LOCATIONS

Assorted various voting locations listed on both sides, covering all districts etc. within Broward County, from the richest of places to poorest. On the back side, the voting locations are finished off by "VOTE EARLY!!!! VOTE DEMOCRAT"

A sticker on the front side says "For a ride to the polls call 954-321-9299"

Maybe I'll do my own research and bum a ride...perhaps when the voting is done I should stand and ask when we'll be stopping for free chicken and liquor? But seriously...it might be interesting just to see if they'll try to influence me as a result of me taking the free ride....

Should I take the ride?

Last edited by harpo787; 10-26-04 at 03:11 AM.
Old 10-26-04, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by harpo787
EDIT: To actually post to the original topic...I think that there is nothing wrong with requiring a photo ID to be able to vote, until they manage to get it down to doing fingerprints or retina scans or some such.

This thread seems to be spiraling out of control, what with all this racism going on.

So there is actual proof that Dems have bussed "inner city people" to multiple polls, and have actually followed it up with KFC and liquor store stops? I think you could have put your point across just fine without putting on the KFC/liquor store part on there at all. Just a thought, but I don't believe it to be an intentionally racist statement, however it may offend some folks that you don't intend to offend (and it will also offend some of those you DO intend to offend!).

Oddly enough, when I came home this evening, hanging on my front door was a "do-not-disturb" styled sign stating the following:

FRONT SIDE:
Kerry Edwards

Early Vote October 18 - November 1, 2004
BROWARD COUNTY EARLY VOTE LOCATIONS

Assorted various voting locations listed on both sides, covering all districts etc. within Broward County, from the richest of places to poorest. On the back side, the voting locations are finished off by "VOTE EARLY!!!! VOTE DEMOCRAT"

A sticker on the front side says "For a ride to the polls call 954-321-9299"

Maybe I'll do my own research and bum a ride...perhaps when the voting is done I should stand and ask when we'll be stopping for free chicken and liquor? But seriously...it might be interesting just to see if they'll try to influence me as a result of me taking the free ride....

Should I take the ride?
definately. You've got to see if they try and influence you.

It would be especially helpful if you aren't white.

birrman54
Old 10-26-04, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Birrman54
definately. You've got to see if they try and influence you.

It would be especially helpful if you aren't white.

birrman54
D'oh! I am indeed white. Does this botch my undercover story? Maybe I could do some face paint etc. like Al Jolsen?

EDIT: I could research all the various stereotypes for black people, and then execute them to a ludicrous level, but skip the make up part.....

Last edited by harpo787; 10-26-04 at 12:03 PM.
Old 10-26-04, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Read the updated warning