Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Voter registration fraud - how to prevent it

Old 10-21-04, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Voter registration fraud - how to prevent it

ENFORCE THE FRIGGING LAWS!!

Voters can only vote in their home precinct.
Falsifying registration cards is a felony and is enforced as such.
Photo IDs and voter cards are required at polling locations in order to vote.
If voters are unable to vote at their home precinct, use absentee ballots. Don't just show up at any location and expect to vote.

And a few more ideas...
Registrations will only be accepted at the Board of Elections for your county, by the registering voter with photo id, proof of citizenship (birth certificate, passport, naturalization certificate), and proof of residency (utility bill or some form of official paperwork). 3rd party registration drives will be deemed illegitimate.
Any party found to be paying voters or registration collectors to vote or register will be promptly arrested.

Being a citizen of a free society has rights. It also has responsibilities. Embrace your civic duties, many people in the world can't. Voting is a right AND a privilege, treat it as such.

"Junior, be sure to vote this election. There are oppressed people in China."

edit - thanks to OldDude for pointing out missing items.

Last edited by darkflounder; 10-21-04 at 02:14 PM.
Old 10-21-04, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You better stop discriminating against minorities with these suposedly "fair" practices.

Old 10-21-04, 01:57 PM
Banned

in San Franfrisko, voting is a right according to some liberals
Old 10-21-04, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Myster X
in San Franfrisko, voting is a right according to some liberals

Then they're... correct?
Old 10-21-04, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Your list works for me, except I would add proof of US citizenship to the list of documentation, birth certificate, naturalization certificate, or passport (for getting the voter registration card). Once you have it, voter card, and photo id.
Old 10-21-04, 02:05 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Thor Simpson

Then they're... correct?
I forgot to say for non-citizens.
Old 10-21-04, 02:09 PM

Just found this out.

Voter literacy tests are legal, if the tests are given to all voters.

(42 USC Sec 1971.a.2.C)
Old 10-21-04, 02:09 PM

Originally posted by OldDude
Your list works for me, except I would add proof of US citizenship to the list of documentation, birth certificate, naturalization certificate, or passport (for getting the voter registration card). Once you have it, voter card, and photo id.
Crap, forgot proof of citizenship. Thanks, I'll add it to the list.
Old 10-21-04, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by OldDude
Your list works for me, except I would add proof of US citizenship to the list of documentation, birth certificate, naturalization certificate, or passport (for getting the voter registration card).
These things are such a pain the butt to provide. I hate it when one of these is required.

This will result in increased authentication and decreased participation.

We need friggin' online voting. Click click click, done. Links to their web sites if you need more info, blah blah blah. Find a way to authenticate this process and prevent fraud and you have a real 21st century voting system.

This will probably never happen without some sort of National ID system.
Old 10-21-04, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We need friggin' online voting. Click click click, done. Links to their web sites if you need more info, blah blah blah.
I've got ghostmouse on and ready to go. What's the URL?
Old 10-21-04, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Find a way to authenticate this process and prevent fraud and you have a real 21st century voting system.
I just had an INGENIOUS idea.

Enter your social security number, then CONFIRM with either your mother's maiden name or the name of your pet!!!

I'll accept only a very small portion of the proceeds of this plan, thank you and good night.
Old 10-21-04, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Myster X
I forgot to say for non-citizens.

It was much funnier the way you put it....and Thor's response was priceless.
Old 10-21-04, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

These things are such a pain the butt to provide. I hate it when one of these is required.

This will result in increased authentication and decreased participation.

We need friggin' online voting. Click click click, done. Links to their web sites if you need more info, blah blah blah. Find a way to authenticate this process and prevent fraud and you have a real 21st century voting system.

This will probably never happen without some sort of National ID system.
I went to an "E-Voting" lecture today since I am a computer science undergrad. The woman speaking has a CS Ph.D. and is currently working at Harvard. She has become something of an authority on electronic voting after writing about the challenges in her dissertation a couple of days prior to the 2000 election.

Basically, according to her its impossible or near impossible currently to implement reliable e-voting. This is because you have to implement a system for each state and then each different municipality (if need be) since voting laws are different in each state. Furthermore, the voting program would need to be able to keep track of votes while not keeping track of who voted, since voting is anonymous. This presents a huge problem in auditing and ensuring a human voted and not a script.

The solution to this she said was more transparency from the e-voting machine makers who are currently being secretive and not complying to several government data security and integrity standards. This standards are only mandatory for DoD systems, but have been implemented on their own in the health care industry to acheive HIPPA compliance. She feels this standards along with a more open view to the public would ensure confidence. Also, if the public could help to improve some problems would be alleivated. She noted things such as Diebold using a z80 microprocessor which does not hold any definition of what is the data segment and what is the code segment, essentially allowing mallicious code to be executed off the tape storing votes under the guise of being "data".

Finally, we have to compete with sociological issues such as people still selling votes and even fraud by the people running the polling place. Something that technology alone cannot fix.

Fascinating stuff .