Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

What if the Electoral College and House tie?

Old 10-21-04, 10:02 AM

What if the Electoral College and House tie?

Yeah, I think this was answered before, but I can't find the thread, and I've done hours of research on the web (maybe I'm not using the right terms), but I can't find the answers.

Say the candidates tie in the Electoral College at 269 to 269. From what I have found, I believe the vote goes to the House, with each state getting one vote each. Let's say, after abstentions, etc. that the vote is tied again.

What happens after that?

Feel free to just point me to links. My co-workers and I are wondering.....
Old 10-21-04, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The sitting President gets to cast the tie-breaking vote?

Just kidding... it goes to Rock Scissors Paper, 2/3.
Old 10-21-04, 10:08 AM

Gladiator pit.
Old 10-21-04, 10:08 AM

Normally, dude, I might think that was funny, especially if this were someone else's thread, but I've been trying to find the answer since yesterday.

Driving me crazy.
Old 10-21-04, 10:12 AM

Would you rather I posted "I don't know"?

To be fair, I'm curious myself about this process. The whole Electoral College thing makes me nervous...they are deciding our president? For most college students, the biggest decision they make is whether to take another hit off the bong or to drink another beer.
Old 10-21-04, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

cockfight
Old 10-21-04, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It goes to Congress. Not sure how, I bet one could find out pretty quick with a Google.

EDIT; oops, didn't see that about the House in the title. Relevant info follows in my next post.

Last edited by Mutley Hyde; 10-21-04 at 10:35 AM.
Old 10-21-04, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
from the 12th Amendment of the Constitution of the United States of America:

And if the House of Representatives shall not choose a President whenever the right of choice shall devolve upon them, before the fourth day of March next following, then the Vice-President shall act as President, as in the case of the death or other constitutional disability of the President.
Old 10-21-04, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Groucho

Until 1804, electors cast votes for candidates without saying whether they were voting for president or vice president. This system crashed and burned in 1800 when Thomas Jefferson and Aaron Burr each received 73 electoral votes. It took the House 36 votes before the tie was broken and Jefferson took office as President.
The 12th Amendment to the Constitution made sure that electors designate their votes for president and vice president. But, the 12th Amendment leaves in place a tie breaking system by which the House of Representatives breaks a tie on presidential electoral votes and the Senate breaks a tie on vice presidential electoral votes. This leaves open an intriguing possibility. Someday a President and Vice President from different political parties could be forced to serve together! What problems do you predict might occur from such an arrangement? Does it offer any benefits?
http://memory.loc.gov/learn/features...ecprocess.html

Edit: Looks like they just keep voting until it's decided.

Last edited by Th0r S1mpson; 10-21-04 at 10:22 AM.
Old 10-21-04, 10:18 AM

So, basically Cheney gets the job for four years, and Bush is sent packing?
Old 10-21-04, 10:19 AM

To be fair, I'm curious myself about this process. The whole Electoral College thing makes me nervous...they are deciding our president? For most college students, the biggest decision they make is whether to take another hit off the bong or to drink another beer.
I was actually writing the response to Thor, but you got in as I was typing, but whatever.

Well, ideally, you would have an answer, but I didn't mean to be crusty. I just want to know the answer.

I think I read that it comes down to candidates' spouses in a mud wrestling match.
Old 10-21-04, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If it ties as far as it can go, won't the Senate President cast the deciding vote?
Old 10-21-04, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Mutley Hyde
It goes to Congress. Not sure how, I bet one could find out pretty quick with a Google.
Here...

A majority is never guaranteed within the Electoral College. An election with no Electoral College majority could occur in two ways; if two candidates tie with 269 votes each or if three or more candidates receive Electoral votes.

If no Presidential candidate obtains a majority of the Electoral votes, the decision is deferred to the U.S. Congress. The House of Representatives selects the President, choosing between the top three candidates, and the Senate selects the Vice President, choosing between the top two candidates. In the House selection, each state receives only one vote and an absolute majority of the states (26) is required to elect the President. (In this situation, Washington, DC would lose the voting power given to it by the 23rd Amendment since it does not have the same Congressional representation given to the states).

However, a majority winner is not guaranteed in the Congress either. The states could feasibly split their votes equally between 2 candidates (25 state votes each) or the votes could be split between three candidates in such a way that no candidate receives a majority.

Also, since every state only gets one vote, the Representatives from each state must come to a decision on which candidate to support in the House. A state with an equal number of Representatives supporting the competing parties would not be able to cast its vote unless one Representative agreed to vote for the opposing side.

If a majority is not reached (for President) within the House by January 20 (the day the President and Vice President are sworn in), the elected Vice President serves as President until the House is able to make a decision. If the Vice President has not been elected either, the sitting Speaker of the House serves as acting President until the Congress is able to make a decision. If a President has been selected but no Vice President has been selected by January 20, the President then appoints the Vice President, pending approval by Congress.
Linky
Old 10-21-04, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Article [XX.]

Section. 3. If a President shall not have been chosen before the time fixed for the beginning of his term, or if the President elect shall have failed to qualify, then the Vice President elect shall act as President until a President shall have qualified; and the Congress may by law provide for the case wherein neither a President elect nor a Vice President elect shall have qualified, declaring who shall then act as President, or the manner in which one who is to act shall be selected, and such person shall act accordingly until a President or Vice President shall have qualified.
Old 10-21-04, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk God

Yeah - I was going to say that the Speaker would serve as acting President (assuming that the VP is also 269-269 and 25-25).
Old 10-21-04, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So, basically Cheney gets the job for four years, and Bush is sent packing?
Actually (in all seriousness) it would be Edwards acting as President until Congress sorts it out. Unless that was also a tie.
Old 10-21-04, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

why edwards? it looks like the Senate will stay Rep so Cheney will get that job.

I haven't bothered checking the makeup of all the state's delegations, but i would suspect most would lean Rep so that would go to Bush too
Old 10-21-04, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Venusian
why edwards? it looks like the Senate will stay Rep so Cheney will get that job.

I haven't bothered checking the makeup of all the state's delegations, but i would suspect most would lean Rep so that would go to Bush too

Yeah - it is neither since you have to assume that the electors and state delegations would vote the same way for Veep as Prez.

Like you said though, moot point because the GOP is all but certain to control 26+ state delegations.

I think the bigger fear than a tie-then-House scenario is the faithless elector scenario (either causing a tie or breaking a tie).
Old 10-21-04, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

why is a faithless elector such a big deal? electors are chosen by the states, its a state issue. It looks like the main chance of a faithless elector this year will be W. Va.
Old 10-21-04, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

In the House, one state/one vote would throw it hard to the Republican side, even moreso than Electoral College. It obviously favorable low population rural states over big city states. Just look at the map of states and count red ones, there's only a handful of blue ones.
Old 10-21-04, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by OldDude
In the House, one state/one vote would throw it hard to the Republican side, even moreso than Electoral College. It obviously favorable low population rural states over big city states. Just look at the map of states and count red ones, there's only a handful of blue ones.
but you can't just look at that, you have to look at the makeup of each delegation.
Old 10-21-04, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

but you can't just look at that, you have to look at the makeup of each delegation.
Technically true. A few counterarguments:

1) Electoral-vote.com used to have a table where this could be analyzed but it seems to have disappeared. I analyzed it to see what would happen with electoral vote splitting assuming each district would vote for President the way it voted for House member. It was clear that red states stayed red, and if all states did it, it was guarenteed for Bush. Sorry data is gone as that was clear cut -- trust me

2) The way the Reps have such large control of House is that even in blue states, the House delegation may be Rep majority due to out-state votes -- Michigan is a good example. A state has to be "mighty blue" to have a blue team in the House.

3) If I were a voter and the state voted "red" and the House delegation voted "blue" (or vice versa), those assholes would have to answer in two years when up for reelection. I believe most delegations would seriously be guided by the state's vote.
Old 10-21-04, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk God

why is a faithless elector such a big deal? electors are chosen by the states, its a state issue. It looks like the main chance of a faithless elector this year will be W. Va.

So if a Bush elector votes Kerry and causes Kerry to win 270-268, no problem with you?

Electors are not chosen by the states. When you vote for President, you are voting for a particular slate of electors as well.
Old 10-21-04, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Red Dog
So if a Bush elector votes Kerry and causes Kerry to win 270-268, no problem with you?

Electors are not chosen by the states. When you vote for President, you are voting for a particular slate of electors as well.
i'm not saying there won't be people complaining, but it wouldn't be a "constitutional crisis" or whatever.

i meant the electors represent the states. the state gets to decide how its chosen (all or none, by district, etc). so although people will be pissed, any legal issues will be dealt with on the state level.
Old 10-21-04, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk God

i'm not saying there won't be people complaining, but it wouldn't be a "constitutional crisis" or whatever.

i meant the electors represent the states. the state gets to decide how its chosen (all or none, by district, etc). so although people will be pissed, any legal issues will be dealt with on the state level.

I wasn't speaking as to legal problems (just as there are no legal problems with the question originally posed in this thread). I was speaking as to faith in the system. You already had a lot of bellyaching about the EC last time since it did not mirror the popular vote. Now imagine if the faithless elector comes up and tips an election - even more people would lose faith in how we conduct Presidential elections.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.