Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Can the 2004 election lead to the 2nd American Civil War?

Old 10-21-04, 05:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Can the 2004 election lead to the 2nd American Civil War?

It's already apparent that this election will be 10 times worse than the 2000 election. Massive nationwide voter fraud link , activist judges overrulling state election laws link and over 10,000 lawyers being hired by the Democrats link.

It's pretty obvious that the Democrats intend to win, no matter the outcome of the election. They will declare victory on the night of November 2nd and intend to hold a victory, no matter what.

How far are they willing to go? To the Supreme Court? How about armed conflict? Could this election lead to a 2nd American Civil War?
Old 10-21-04, 05:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
ah no.
Old 10-21-04, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

uh no
Old 10-21-04, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Are you drinking Grandpas cough syrup again?
Old 10-21-04, 06:34 AM

I wouldn't rule out the possibility of violence entirely, but the chance of a 2nd civil war is a long shot. Besides wouldn't the Dems have to change their stance on gun control first... otherwise it'll be a very short civil war
Old 10-21-04, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Maybe fighting in the streets is a bit farfetched.

But if it goes to the Supreme Court again, and the high court rules against them, what then?
Old 10-21-04, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

i think the demos should relax and see what happens..... Sorry but if Hilary or anyone else was running against Bush i would have voted for him.... Kerry is the problem
Old 10-21-04, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

no

if there is massive corruption or if it looks like huge groups of people were disenfranchised on purpose, i could see it leading to demonstrations that get violent, but I doubt that will happen
Old 10-21-04, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No, but another conflict between the electoral college vote and the popular vote could lead to enough anger to reform the system. The electoral college is a peculiar institution indeed.
Old 10-21-04, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

i never understood it...but oh well.........

i say who cares....
Old 10-21-04, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Mammal
No, but another conflict between the electoral college vote and the popular vote could lead to enough anger to reform the system. The electoral college is a peculiar institution indeed.
i thought any difference in the two in modern time would lead to change, but after 2000 you barely heard much about it. people were more concerned about chads and such so i doubt another difference would lead to change
Old 10-21-04, 08:16 AM
Admin-Thanos

Yeah, it's all the Democrats doing shady stuff. Spin much?
Old 10-21-04, 08:27 AM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, it's all the Democrats doing shady stuff.
I haven't seen any stories of reps getting crack cocaine for registering fictitious people.
John Kerry's campaign has stated that they are going to declare victory quickly.
Old 10-21-04, 08:31 AM

Originally posted by Mammal
I doubt it, that would require a change to the Constitution and I think enough people in power realize the damage such a change could do, not to mention I severly doubt the required number of states would ratify it considering the impact it would have on them.
Old 10-21-04, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by bhk
I haven't seen any stories of reps getting crack cocaine for registering fictitious people.
John Kerry's campaign has stated that they are going to declare victory quickly.
yeah but there have been stories of Reps tearing up Dem registrations
Old 10-21-04, 08:45 AM

True but so far most of the reports of violence have been from Dem to Rep though (unless it's just not making the news/people aren't reporting it here), that's what concerns me the most
Old 10-21-04, 08:50 AM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

yeah but there have been stories of Reps tearing up Dem registrations
The only story I heard about was someone at a company tearing up illegal registrations(not GOP volunteers).

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6258395/
This afternoon, members of the local Republican party reiterated their zero tolerance policy for any type of fraudulent activity associated with the collection of voter registration forms. Republicans say anyone caught tearing up voter registration forms or refusing to turn them in should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
But, you also have to remember that the dems are going to "pre-emptively" declare voter intimidation(according to their own manual).
Old 10-21-04, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

nemein

I doubt it, that would require a change to the Constitution and I think enough people in power realize the damage such a change could do, not to mention I severly doubt the required number of states would ratify it considering the impact it would have on them.
Not to mention the fact that the "popular vote" doesn't exist. While it's interesting to see how the raw numbers fell, under the current setup, it's an inaccurate and invalid statistic, and only an idiot or a liar would claim to have "won" it. When the cameras are off, politicians recognize this and aren't likely to change the system, nor are the states going to have any part of it.

das
Old 10-21-04, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

civil war II won't be fought over political lines because the Republicans have all the guns.

civil war II will be fought between people that think Carrot Top is funny and people who don't.
Old 10-21-04, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Removing the electoral college is a bad idea. The closeness of the last race focused the attention on one single state. On the national level, the vote was less than 1% difference (IIRC). Can you imagine what it would of been like if the mess of Florida had been extended to the whole nation because of the closeness of the popular vote?

The electoral college has worked fine for a long time, there's no reason to change it.

And yes, I still say this knowing the roles could be reversed this time with a Bush popular win and a Kerry electoral win.
Old 10-21-04, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would expect demonstrations with a possibility of rioting if the Dems feel 'cheated' again.
Old 10-21-04, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by raven56706
Are you drinking Grandpas cough syrup again?

Old 10-21-04, 10:23 AM

Originally posted by bhk
Great job distorting the facts there. If there's another fiasco like in Florida in 2000, they are going to immediately declare victory...something Gore did not do. Kerry's not going to declare victory no matter what.

Spin spin spin.
Old 10-21-04, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Nazgul
I would expect demonstrations with a possibility of rioting if the Dems feel 'cheated' again.
You should expect at least the demonstrations:

www.nov3.us
Old 10-21-04, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

John Titor says it will.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.