Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Kerry team slams reports VP Cheney had a flu shot, but wait...

Old 10-21-04, 01:23 AM
Banned

Kerry team slams reports VP Cheney had a flu shot, but wait...

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...0226&printer=1

PITTSBURGH, United States (AFP) - Senator John Kerry (news - web sites)'s presidential campaign slammed Vice President Dick Cheney (news - web sites), a heart patient, over reports he had a flu shot, despite a shortage of the vaccine.

The campaign complained that Treasury Secretary John Snow and Senate Majority leader Bill Frist also had jabs, despite Bush's advice that the young and healthy did not need to get an injection.

"Once again, the Bush administration proves that it is the 'do as we say, not as we do' White House," the campaign said in a statement issued in Pittsburgh where Kerry was campaigning.

"The very week that (health) secretary (Tommy) Thompson is telling Americans to keep calm, Dick Cheney, John Snow and Bill Frist are getting flu shots."

"It is unfortunate that the Bush administration failed to do the work necessary to ensure that all Americans, including those most at risk, had been able to get shots as well."

Cheney would fit into the government's definition of those most vulnerable to a looming influenza epidemic as he has a long history of heart disease.

Bush last week suggested in the final presidential debate that the young and healthy forgo the annual shot amid a shortage of vaccine that Kerry has blamed on the president's management of the health system.

Clinton got one also

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/...in650222.shtml

(AP) Former President Clinton is proving to be a surprisingly "patient patient" as he recovers from quadruple heart bypass surgery, Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton said Monday. But his doctors haven't yet cleared him to hit the campaign trail for fellow Democrat John Kerry.

"That is still being worked on as we speak," the former first lady said during a news conference about flu vaccine. She said the former president has received a flu shot.

Earlier Monday, in an interview with an Albany radio station, the senator said her husband has surprised her with his resolve and patience.

"He's really doing well," she told Albany radio station WROW-AM. "He has been a much more patient patient than I would have ever guessed. He has taken seriously all of the advice the doctors have given him."

"Every day he feels a little better," she said from the couple's home in Chappaqua, a New York City suburb.

Clinton, 58, underwent surgery Sept. 6 after complaining of chest pain and shortness of breath.

The surgery stalled the former president's plans to campaign for Kerry. His wife has said it will be up to Clinton's doctors to decide if he can hit the campaign trail before the Nov. 2 election. The former president has been phoning Kerry and his aides with advice and is expected to make radio ads and get-out-the-vote telephone messages for the campaign.
Old 10-21-04, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I would say both Cheney and Clinton could be classified as not healthy. Clinton possibly more so since he just had surgery.
Old 10-21-04, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Complete absurdity. There's absolutely nothing wrong with Cheney getting the shot - hell...if anyone's "elderly" it's him. As for Snow & Frist...who cares? I would wager there's gotta be some high-ranking Democrats out there that got the shots. Doubt we'll hear Kerry complaining about them though.
Old 10-21-04, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Is this for real or a big joke? I mean seriously....
Old 10-21-04, 04:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As much as I despise Bush & Cheney, It's my feeling that as leaders of country, they have an obligation to take all precautions in relation to their health regardless of how young or old they may be. Even more so when one takes into consideration that they are on campaign and probably shaking hands with hundreds of people daily.
Old 10-21-04, 04:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

whoooooo gives a damn. I swear, Kerry pisses and moans about the most stupid stuff.
Old 10-21-04, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

like most things Kerry's team says its already backfired
Old 10-21-04, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow...... Kerry is going COCO for COCOA PUFFS
Old 10-21-04, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

who cares.. they are both in the high risk group..

what i do care about is that ANYONE who works on the hill can get one including young healthy staffers. however, THEY could be in the targeted risk group too.

The news has done a good job of leaving off a key risk group on the list. Anyone who lives with or works with kids under 6 months who cannot get the shot themselves...

seems like a lot of people are leaving that group out and it's a lot of people...

This just shows either how uneducated Kerry is on the issue and/or that he will take an issue and try to twist it for political gain. If he thinks that comment is going to help him, he is very misguided as many of the voters he perceives as key are familiar with this issue.
Old 10-21-04, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I still think this is all a joke..... Tell me he was just playing a prank or something
Old 10-21-04, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by raven56706
I still think this is all a joke..... Tell me he was just playing a prank or something
no prank.. all over the news on the radio this am...

and the outrage over some people getting it obviously is off as it seems some of the congressmen who got it, got it before there was a known shortfall of vaccine...

Blake.. I am sure Clinton and Cheney most likely are on aspirin therapy due to the heart issues.. that is a prime flu shot criteria..even if not, their heart conditions still make them eligible and targeted.. they are not 'healthy'

Last edited by matchpenalty; 10-21-04 at 08:11 AM.
Old 10-21-04, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Kerry team slams reports VP Cheney had a flu shot, but wait...

Originally posted by Myster X
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...0226&printer=1

PITTSBURGH, United States (AFP) - Senator John Kerry (news - web sites)'s presidential campaign slammed Vice President Dick Cheney (news - web sites), a heart patient, over reports he had a flu shot, despite a shortage of the vaccine.

The campaign complained that Treasury Secretary John Snow and Senate Majority leader Bill Frist also had jabs, despite Bush's advice that the young and healthy did not need to get an injection.

"Once again, the Bush administration proves that it is the 'do as we say, not as we do' White House," the campaign said in a statement issued in Pittsburgh where Kerry was campaigning.

"The very week that (health) secretary (Tommy) Thompson is telling Americans to keep calm, Dick Cheney, John Snow and Bill Frist are getting flu shots."

"It is unfortunate that the Bush administration failed to do the work necessary to ensure that all Americans, including those most at risk, had been able to get shots as well."

Cheney would fit into the government's definition of those most vulnerable to a looming influenza epidemic as he has a long history of heart disease.

Bush last week suggested in the final presidential debate that the young and healthy forgo the annual shot amid a shortage of vaccine that Kerry has blamed on the president's management of the health system.

Clinton got one also

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/...in650222.shtml

(AP) Former President Clinton is proving to be a surprisingly "patient patient" as he recovers from quadruple heart bypass surgery, Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton said Monday. But his doctors haven't yet cleared him to hit the campaign trail for fellow Democrat John Kerry.

"That is still being worked on as we speak," the former first lady said during a news conference about flu vaccine. She said the former president has received a flu shot.

Earlier Monday, in an interview with an Albany radio station, the senator said her husband has surprised her with his resolve and patience.

"He's really doing well," she told Albany radio station WROW-AM. "He has been a much more patient patient than I would have ever guessed. He has taken seriously all of the advice the doctors have given him."

"Every day he feels a little better," she said from the couple's home in Chappaqua, a New York City suburb.

Clinton, 58, underwent surgery Sept. 6 after complaining of chest pain and shortness of breath.

The surgery stalled the former president's plans to campaign for Kerry. His wife has said it will be up to Clinton's doctors to decide if he can hit the campaign trail before the Nov. 2 election. The former president has been phoning Kerry and his aides with advice and is expected to make radio ads and get-out-the-vote telephone messages for the campaign.
the article conveinently left out that capitol hill received 2000 doses of the flu shot for legislators and their staff. the reason they are getting the flu shot is because they are always seeing their constituients, many of whom are children and elderly. This makes our legislators the perfect carriers for the flu to high risk people.
Old 10-21-04, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

OK... still waiting for the "you have been punk'd" by kerry anytime now....

if he was serious, then he is stupid
Old 10-21-04, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Re: Kerry team slams reports VP Cheney had a flu shot, but wait...

Originally posted by al_bundy
the article conveinently left out that capitol hill received 2000 doses of the flu shot for legislators and their staff. the reason they are getting the flu shot is because they are always seeing their constituients, many of whom are children and elderly. This makes our legislators the perfect carriers for the flu to high risk people.
So what you're saying is that if Kerry ever bothered to do his day job, he would have gotten a flu shot too?
Old 10-21-04, 08:56 AM

Cheney's got heart problems, as does Clinton. Tempest in a teapot.

Snow and Frist are another matter, but I don't care much one way or the other. As long as my 82 year old mother gets a shot I'll be happy.
Old 10-21-04, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Frist is a doctor, doesn't that put him on a list of high risk people or something?

(remember, he killed cats for his own pleasure)
Old 10-21-04, 08:58 AM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Snow and Frist are another matter
Would you want them to transmit the flu to the babies that they are supposed to kiss?
Old 10-21-04, 08:59 AM

Originally posted by Venusian
Frist is a doctor, doesn't that put him on a list of high risk people or something?
It probably depends on how much he practices medicine these days. I know he's saved the random crazed gunman now and again, but I doubt he sees many regular patients.
Old 10-21-04, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This definitely is the most important story of the campaign season. It deserved the Drudge siren...

Old 10-21-04, 09:08 AM

This definitely is the most important story of the campaign season.
Then obviously the question you should be asking yourself is why did Kerry try to make a point of it in the first place

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...lu_shot177_xml
Kerry Campaign Statement on Vice President Cheney Receiving Flu Shot

Wed Oct 20, 9:29 PM ET

To: National Desk, Political Reporter

Contact: Chad Clanton or Phil Singer, 202-464-2800, both of Kerry-Edwards 2004

WASHINGTON, Oct. 20 /U.S. Newswire/ -- Kerry-Edwards campaign spokesperson Phil Singer released the following statement today in response to reports that Vice President Cheney received a flu shot:

"Once again the Bush administration proves that it is the 'Do As We Say, Not As We Do' White House. The very week that Secretary Thompson is telling Americans to keep calm, Dick Cheney (news - web sites), John Snow and Bill Frist are getting flu shots. It is unfortunate that the Bush administration failed to do the work necessary to ensure that all Americans, including those most at risk, had been able to get shots as well."

Paid for by Kerry-Edwards 2004, Inc.

Here's a story that explains a little more about who got what...
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...e_government_4

Last edited by nemein; 10-21-04 at 09:12 AM.
Old 10-21-04, 09:09 AM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

I never tire of libs disparaging drudge(esp. when the stories come from other sources, yahoo and cbsnews, in this case).

I am happy that Drudge contributed to the legacy of Clinton and therefore will always be a great american.
Old 10-21-04, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

it seems to me that if it makes your candidate look bad or the other guy look good, its a nonstory. but if its the other way around, its important and goes to show the true character of whomever
Old 10-21-04, 09:24 AM

It's taken you this long to figure out how the forum works And they let you be a moderator

Old 10-21-04, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Based on the Fox story, apparently flu shots really ARE recommended for members of Congress, but the administration should just die. (THe House doctor is probably correct that in terms of exposure, politicians are in a high risk group)
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,136022,00.html
No Shortage of Flu Shots on Capitol Hill
Thursday, October 21, 2004

WASHINGTON — President Bush isn't getting one. Attorney General John Ashcroft (search) isn't getting one.

But many members on Capitol Hill are reaching out for flu shots despite a major shortage that will leave the United States shy of about 45 million inoculations this year. Despite the deficit in influenza vaccines, the result of a contamination in the doses produced by British-owned Chiron Corp. (search), about 2,000 shots are available to members and staffers on Capitol Hill at no charge.

Most of those vaccinated do not fall into the traditionally high-risk categories of the very young and the very old, though some congressional members would qualify for the latter category. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (search) laid out guidelines threatening doctors with penalties if they give the serum out to lower-risk people before treating as many high-risk individuals as wish to be vaccinated.

But Dr. John F. Eisold, the House attending physician, told FOX News that he considers all legislative members to be in the "high-risk" given the number of people they encounter on a daily basis. This being election season, many members are exposed to even more people than usual, either campaigning for their own re-election or stumping for other candidates.

"They meet with people every day," one staffer in the doctor's office told FOX News. "Think about it ... you could have 100 different countries represented on any given day on Capitol Hill. You have members meeting and shaking hands with foreign leaders ... and then you have them going home to their districts shaking hands with constituents ... which is why we have always encouraged members to get their flu shots."

But Rep. Chris Van Hollen, D-Md., wrote Eisold and said he thinks the doctor's recommendation is wrong.

"Members of Congress should set an example for the American people in following the guidelines issued by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. I don't believe that frequent contact with the public should make Members of Congress or their staff exceptions to the CDC guidelines," Van Hollen wrote.

Rep. Harold Ford, D-Tenn., who did not get a flu shot before heading out Wednesday to campaign with vice presidential candidate John Edwards, said that only 2,000 people on Capitol Hill will be able to receive shots. Normally, that number is about 9,000. But he suggested the vaccines go elsewhere.

"If indeed we have ... extra vaccinations or an overthrow of reserve vaccinations on the Hill, perhaps we should donate them to clinics across the country, including in my district in Memphis and west Tennessee that frankly are running low for those populations of people, including seniors and pregnant women, who need it most," Ford said.

Rep. David Dreier, R-Calif., said that he got a shot after recessing from the negotiations taking place over the intelligence reform bill conference. Sen. Joe Lieberman, D-Conn., who also was in those meetings, said he hadn't gotten one but may reconsider his decision.

"I haven't had a flu shot because I didn't see myself in the category of priorities. This is a way to declare that I'm younger than 65," joked Lieberman, 64. "But I'm going to talk to the Senate physician today."

In fact, the shortage of the vaccine has been used as a political tool in the presidential race and elsewhere. Out on the campaign trail on Tuesday, Massachusetts Sen. John Kerry told Florida seniors that the administration's failure to foresee potential shortages shows their lack of preparedness for emergencies.

"If you can't get flu vaccines to Americans, how are you going to protect them against bioterrorism? If you can't get flu vaccines to Americans, what kind of health care program are you running?" Kerry asked.

In St. Petersburg, Fla., on Tuesday, Bush tried to calm fears about flu-vaccine shortages that he said were caused by a "major manufacturing defect."

"I know there are some here who are worried about the flu season," Bush told supporters in a stadium at a baseball training camp. "I want to assure them that our government is doing everything to help older Americans and children get their shots despite the major manufacturing defect that caused this problem."

Ford said that it's not a matter of playing the blame game. "But someone needs to be held accountable for this. We need to hold that person accountable or those persons accountable at the appropriate time. In the meantime, we need to figure out how we provide the vaccinations to the populations that need it most," he said.

Bush said Tuesday that 4 million shots for children will be shipped in the coming weeks. Federal health officials said 2.6 million more shots will be available in January, the height of flu season. Between vaccines and antiviral drugs, enough medicine will be available to treat 100 million people this flu season, Secretary of Health and Human Services Tommy Thompson said Tuesday.
Old 10-21-04, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by CRM114
This definitely is the most important story of the campaign season. It deserved the Drudge siren...

Um... it apparently deserved the Kerry siren first.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.