Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Kerry team slams reports VP Cheney had a flu shot, but wait...

Old 10-21-04, 11:55 AM
  #51  
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,731
Originally posted by Mordred
Don't be silly. Someone in the administration screwed up. When Marlboro said cigarettes weren't addictive should we have taken their word for it? Companies will attempt to get away with what they can, and taking their word at face value without actually testing for yourself? Well, that's just ridiculous.
Exactly. The article clearly shows that the UK too decisive action in August of 2003 by securing the needed vaccine from another party just in case. Evidently, the US wasn't as on top of things.
CRM114 is offline  
Old 10-21-04, 12:15 PM
  #52  
Premium Member
 
bfrank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: So. Cal
Posts: 20,623
Like Bush would not have jumped in on this if it was Kerry?

Come on guys -- cant you see the contradiction of your critique and outrage toward one side when they both are doing the exact same stuff?


bfrank is offline  
Old 10-21-04, 12:38 PM
  #53  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: MI
Posts: 25,059
Originally posted by bfrank
Come on guys -- cant you see the contradiction of your critique and outrage toward one side when they both are doing the exact same stuff?
Hey, we're just like the liberal media; we report the stories we want to report, whether because we think they are newsworthy, fit our agenda, or both. As long as all points of view get to report, no harm, no foul.

Any restraint, other than self restraint (which might be a good thing), is going to silence some POVs and not others. The downside is our system seems similar to the Tower of Babel.
OldDude is offline  
Old 10-21-04, 12:39 PM
  #54  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 36,981
Originally posted by CRM114
Exactly. The article clearly shows that the UK too decisive action in August of 2003 by securing the needed vaccine from another party just in case. Evidently, the US wasn't as on top of things.
i think that was in aug 2004. flu vaccines aren't good for the next season
Venusian is offline  
Old 10-21-04, 12:40 PM
  #55  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 36,981
Originally posted by bfrank
Like Bush would not have jumped in on this if it was Kerry?

Come on guys -- cant you see the contradiction of your critique and outrage toward one side when they both are doing the exact same stuff?

and if bush had done it, it would be wrong. actually it is wrong for him to blame kerry for it for the litigation thing
Venusian is offline  
Old 10-21-04, 12:44 PM
  #56  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Garden State
Posts: 8,229
no one is asking the question:

where did the brits get their replacement? was it from a NON-approved source by the FDA??

this is still a non issue that some people are trying to hype
matchpenalty is offline  
Old 10-21-04, 12:45 PM
  #57  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Garden State
Posts: 8,229
Originally posted by Venusian
and if bush had done it, it would be wrong. actually it is wrong for him to blame kerry for it for the litigation thing
no.. kerry has consistently opposed reforms to the litigation problems relating to healthcare..
matchpenalty is offline  
Old 10-21-04, 12:46 PM
  #58  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Lyon Estates
Posts: 10,795
I'm really getting tired of the media (or one side or whatever) using the term "slams," by the way.
dick_grayson is offline  
Old 10-21-04, 12:49 PM
  #59  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 36,981
the FDA has jurisdiction to inspect the premises in another country? is that something given to them when the company applies to sell the stuff in the u.s. or something?
Venusian is offline  
Old 10-21-04, 12:49 PM
  #60  
Moderator
 
nemein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: 1bit away from total disaster
Posts: 34,142
no one is asking the question:

where did the brits get their replacement? was it from a NON-approved source by the FDA??
Acutally the more interesting question is whether or not the FDA and the British equivalent standards are the same? Could it be the conditions under which the vaccine was produced would be ok by US standards, but didn't meet stricter UK standards and therefore they were unable to pass it on?
nemein is offline  
Old 10-21-04, 12:53 PM
  #61  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Garden State
Posts: 8,229
Originally posted by nemein
Acutally the more interesting question is whether or not the FDA and the British equivalent standards are the same? Could it be the conditions under which the vaccine was produced would be ok by US standards, but didn't meet stricter UK standards and therefore they were unable to pass it on?
or are UK standards looser but they acted first..
matchpenalty is offline  
Old 10-21-04, 01:00 PM
  #62  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Th0r S1mpson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 36,443
Originally posted by dick_grayson
I'm really getting tired of the media (or one side or whatever) using the term "slams," by the way.
Strong agreement. This is a term that is best used by <B>Denny's</B> and Denny's alone.

<img src="http://www.dennys.com/LiveImages/enProductImage_31.gif " align=right>Yesterday we had the <B>Bush Slam</B> for $3.49. Scrambled eggs, bacon and HASH browns. Stay the course and have some hot apple pie when you're done.

<img src="http://www.dennys.com/LiveImages/enProductImage_38.gif" align=right>Today we have the <B>Kerry Slam</B> for $2.99. It's different every time we bring it to the table so don't bother asking what's in it. Those in the top 2% of the tax bracket will have a 60% tip automatically added to their bill but all customers will be entitled to the same crappy service.

Last edited by Th0r S1mpson; 10-21-04 at 01:03 PM.
Th0r S1mpson is offline  
Old 10-21-04, 01:03 PM
  #63  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Chew's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: South of Titletown
Posts: 18,628
Originally posted by Thor Simpson
Strong agreement. This is a term that is best used by <B>Denny's</B> and Denny's alone.

Yesterday we had the <B>Bush Slam</B> for $3.49. Scrambled eggs, bacon and HASH browns. Stay the course and have some hot apple pie when you're done.

Today we have the <B>Kerry Slam</B> for $2.99. It's different every time we bring it to the table so don't bother asking what's in it. Those in the top 2% of the tax bracket will have a 60% tip automatically added to their bill but all customers will be entitled to the same crappy service.
Chew is offline  
Old 10-21-04, 01:10 PM
  #64  
DVD Talk Legend
 
nevermind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Illinoyze
Posts: 10,514
Originally posted by Thor Simpson
Strong agreement. This is a term that is best used by <B>Denny's</B> and Denny's alone.

<img src="http://www.dennys.com/LiveImages/enProductImage_31.gif " align=right>Yesterday we had the <B>Bush Slam</B> for $3.49. Scrambled eggs, bacon and HASH browns. Stay the course and have some hot apple pie when you're done.

<img src="http://www.dennys.com/LiveImages/enProductImage_38.gif" align=right>Today we have the <B>Kerry Slam</B> for $2.99. It's different every time we bring it to the table so don't bother asking what's in it. Those in the top 2% of the tax bracket will have a 60% tip automatically added to their bill but all customers will be entitled to the same crappy service.

5/5

nevermind is offline  
Old 10-21-04, 02:28 PM
  #65  
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,731
Originally posted by matchpenalty
no.. kerry has consistently opposed reforms to the litigation problems relating to healthcare..
Good. There should be no rules put in place about who I can sue. If some company gives me a drug that harms me, I have the right to sue. That was the logic behind the tobacco suits at least.

If some doctor removes my kidney instead of my appendix, I reserve the right to own that guys house.

The moral? Don't fuck up.
CRM114 is offline  
Old 10-21-04, 02:29 PM
  #66  
Moderator
 
wendersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Nuova Repubblica di SalÚ
Posts: 32,946
Originally posted by Thor Simpson
Strong agreement. This is a term that is best used by <B>Denny's</B> and Denny's alone.

<img src="http://www.dennys.com/LiveImages/enProductImage_31.gif " align=right>Yesterday we had the <B>Bush Slam</B> for $3.49. Scrambled eggs, bacon and HASH browns. Stay the course and have some hot apple pie when you're done.

<img src="http://www.dennys.com/LiveImages/enProductImage_38.gif" align=right>Today we have the <B>Kerry Slam</B> for $2.99. It's different every time we bring it to the table so don't bother asking what's in it. Those in the top 2% of the tax bracket will have a 60% tip automatically added to their bill but all customers will be entitled to the same crappy service.


Nice work, Thooorrr.
wendersfan is offline  
Old 10-21-04, 02:32 PM
  #67  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Th0r S1mpson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 36,443
Originally posted by wendersfan
Nice work, Thooorrr.
What's sad is how many people say my name this way in real life. I feel like Norm.
Th0r S1mpson is offline  
Old 10-21-04, 04:36 PM
  #68  
DVD Talk Legend
 
kenbuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 20,968
Originally posted by OldDude
But Dr. John F. Eisold, the House attending physician, told FOX News that he considers all legislative members to be in the "high-risk" given the number of people they encounter on a daily basis. This being election season, many members are exposed to even more people than usual, either campaigning for their own re-election or stumping for other candidates.
Aw, who cares if Congressmen are "high-risk" or not, as the country's lawmakers, they should be innoculated against the virus. If there was ever a category of folks who should be first in line, it should be those who run the country. I can't believe folks are complaining about -- what? -- a couple of hundred/thousand shots?

I, for one, want the business of running the country to be as well-protected as it can be, regardless of party affiliation, and regardless of whether it is an election year. Apparently the left feels otherwise.
kenbuzz is offline  
Old 10-21-04, 04:42 PM
  #69  
Moderator
 
wendersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Nuova Repubblica di SalÚ
Posts: 32,946
Originally posted by kenbuzz
I, for one, want the business of running the country to be as well-protected as it can be, regardless of party affiliation, and regardless of whether it is an election year. Apparently the ______ (fill in the blank) feels otherwise if it suits their political needs.
Slight modification.
wendersfan is offline  
Old 10-21-04, 08:21 PM
  #70  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Garden State
Posts: 8,229
Originally posted by CRM114
Good. There should be no rules put in place about who I can sue. If some company gives me a drug that harms me, I have the right to sue. That was the logic behind the tobacco suits at least.

If some doctor removes my kidney instead of my appendix, I reserve the right to own that guys house.

The moral? Don't fuck up.
I don't have an issue with that. However, someone should not be able to sue for an unlimited amount of cash...instead of penalizing the one doctor/hospital, the really large awards penalize everyone else who uses the system including different doctors/hospitals.

No restriction on who you can sue, but award sizes need to be based on real economics (lost income, cost of future care, etc. )

The moral here is everyone else should not 'take it in the shorts'
matchpenalty is offline  
Old 10-21-04, 08:40 PM
  #71  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Posts: 29,703
couldn't congress make a law directing the FDA to change the regulations for vaccines?
mikehunt is offline  
Old 10-22-04, 12:28 AM
  #72  
Moderator
 
nemein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: 1bit away from total disaster
Posts: 34,142
If some company gives me a drug that harms me, I have the right to sue.
So even if you are that 1 in 100,000 people that has an adverse reaction to the vaccine you should be able to sue the company for an "unlimited" amount of cash? And you wonder why companies don't want to take the risk of making the stuff in the first place. Considering it's not always known who is going to have a reaction, that person could be an otherwise healthy person and the vaccine could work in 999,999 other people w/o problems. I agree there needs to be accountability on those practicing medicine, there also needs to be accountability (and sanity) when it comes to how lawsuits are awarded though.
nemein is offline  
Old 10-22-04, 08:43 AM
  #73  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: MI
Posts: 25,059
Originally posted by nemein
So even if you are that 1 in 100,000 people that has an adverse reaction to the vaccine you should be able to sue the company for an "unlimited" amount of cash? And you wonder why companies don't want to take the risk of making the stuff in the first place. Considering it's not always known who is going to have a reaction, that person could be an otherwise healthy person and the vaccine could work in 999,999 other people w/o problems. I agree there needs to be accountability on those practicing medicine, there also needs to be accountability (and sanity) when it comes to how lawsuits are awarded though.
Good point although perhaps the guidelines need to consider whether the drug is a lifestyle enhancer or a lifesaver. If 99 times of 100 it cures a headache or gives you a bigger dick, and one time kills you, that is different from 99 times in 100 curing an otherwise terminal cancer and one time killing you.
OldDude is offline  
Old 10-22-04, 08:48 AM
  #74  
DVD Talk Legend
 
raven56706's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA
Posts: 21,767
Kerry makes no sense and might need another botox shot
raven56706 is offline  
Old 10-22-04, 09:46 AM
  #75  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Lyon Estates
Posts: 10,795
Originally posted by Thor Simpson
Strong agreement. This is a term that is best used by <B>Denny's</B> and Denny's alone.

<img src="http://www.dennys.com/LiveImages/enProductImage_31.gif " align=right>Yesterday we had the <B>Bush Slam</B> for $3.49. Scrambled eggs, bacon and HASH browns. Stay the course and have some hot apple pie when you're done.

<img src="http://www.dennys.com/LiveImages/enProductImage_38.gif" align=right>Today we have the <B>Kerry Slam</B> for $2.99. It's different every time we bring it to the table so don't bother asking what's in it. Those in the top 2% of the tax bracket will have a 60% tip automatically added to their bill but all customers will be entitled to the same crappy service.
lol good stuff!!
dick_grayson is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.