Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Cheney: Terrorists May Bomb (nuke) U.S. Cities

Old 10-19-04, 12:33 PM
Premium Member

Cheney: Terrorists May Bomb (nuke) U.S. Cities

CARROLL, Ohio - Vice President Dick Cheney (news - web sites) on Tuesday evoked the possibility of terrorists bombing U.S. cities with nuclear weapons and questioned whether Sen. John Kerry (news - web sites) could combat such a threat, which the vice president called a concept "you've got to get your mind around."

"The biggest threat we face now as a nation is the possibility of terrorists ending up in the middle of one of our cities with deadlier weapons than have ever before been used against us — biological agents or a nuclear weapon or a chemical weapon of some kind to be able to threaten the lives of hundreds of thousands of Americans," Cheney said.

"That's the ultimate threat. For us to have a strategy that's capable of defeating that threat, you've got to get your mind around that concept," Cheney said.

Cheney, speaking to an invitation-only crowd as he began a bus tour through Republican strongholds in Ohio, said Kerry is trying to convince voters he would be the same type of "tough, aggressive" leader as Bush in the fight against terrorism.

"I don't believe it," the vice president said. "I don't think there's any evidence to support the proposition that he would, in fact, do it."

[more]

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...n_el_pr/cheney

can you guys agree both side suck on this scary tactic stuff now?
Old 10-19-04, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

both sides suck on scare tactics....but i dont see how this is one of those. during the first debate, both bush and kerry said that keeping WMD out of the hands of terrorists was their number one concern. That is what Cheney is talking about here.
Old 10-19-04, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

this should be linked to the story from yesterday where Bush accused Kerry of using scare tactics.
Old 10-19-04, 12:41 PM
Premium Member

I see this on a way different scale then Kerry’s spin on Bush’s plan to reorganize social security.

vote for us or you will die is suckekekeke
Old 10-19-04, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

but (this time) he isn't saying that voting for kerry will mean you die...p diddy is saying that

he is saying that this is the "biggest threat" we face...kerry said the same thing.
Old 10-19-04, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Venusian
but (this time) he isn't saying that voting for kerry will mean you die...p diddy is saying that

he is saying that this is the "biggest threat" we face...kerry said the same thing.

what are you talking about? It's in the first sentence of the article.

Vice President Dick Cheney (news - web sites) ..... questioned whether Sen. John Kerry (news - web sites) could combat such a threat....
Old 10-19-04, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Who gives a shit what the article interprets Cheney as saying? Go read Cheney's quote again and come back and talk.

Find where he mentions Kerry in his quote.

No this isn't Kerry's Bush is coming to rob you of your social security in January.
Old 10-19-04, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What I see is a bunch of snippets of a stump speech, quite possibly taken out of context by an AP writer.

Does anyone dispute the fact that the largest threat this country faces right now from terrorists is the possibility of someone setting off a nuke (or bio/chem agent) in a densely populated area? Cheney was simply stating a fact there.

Isn't it also true that Kerry is trying to position himself as being just as tough on terrorism as Bush (if not moreso)? So, the question is, do you believe that he is? If so, then great. Vote for him. If not, then maybe Bush is the better man for the job.

However, nowhere in the article do I see a quote from Cheney even implying the "vote for Kerry and die" claim. I do see that implication from the article's author, but that is a different subject, altogether.
Old 10-19-04, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Holy carp... now I'm voting for Bush. A nuke would be the suck.
Old 10-19-04, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And if anybody actually believes he wasn't referring to Kerry, I have some nice oceanfront property in Arizona to sell you.
Old 10-19-04, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by WildcatLH
And if anybody actually believes he wasn't referring to Kerry, I have some nice oceanfront property in Arizona to sell you.
referring to Kerry in what quote?
Old 10-19-04, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

referring to Kerry in what quote?
Let me re-word.

If you don't believe the implication was there....
Old 10-19-04, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

what implication?

i think cheney was saying that he doesnt think kerry will be able to handle the threats facing this country. i dont think he's trying to hide saying that.

kerry has said he doesnt think bush is handling the threats facing this country well. he isn't hiding saying that.
Old 10-19-04, 04:58 PM
Banned

It's amazing that anyone believes this guy anymore. He's discredited himself with lies and exaggerations over and over again. This "vote for us or the US will get nuked" line just exposes him and his ilk as the heartless bastards they really are IMO.
Old 10-19-04, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Captain Pike
This "vote for us or the US will get nuked" line just exposes him and his ilk as the heartless bastards they really are IMO.
where does he say this?
Old 10-19-04, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's amazing that anyone believes this guy anymore. He's discredited himself with lies and exaggerations over and over again. This "vote for us or the US will get nuked" line just exposes him and his ilk as the heartless bastards they really are IMO.
You're talking about Michael Moore, right?
Old 10-19-04, 05:00 PM
Banned

what implication?

i think cheney was saying that he doesnt think kerry will be able to handle the threats facing this country. i dont think he's trying to hide saying that.

kerry has said he doesnt think bush is handling the threats facing this country well. he isn't hiding saying that.
Pure apologist nonsense. Of course Cheney is implying that a Kerry win spells nuclear attack. He couldn't be any more clear. Kerry criticizes the president's record on national security but he doesn't blatantly suggest that terrorists will punish us for electing Bush. There's a BIG difference.
Old 10-19-04, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He couldn't be any more clear.
Actually he could. He could say something like: "I guarantee that if Kerry gets elected, some of you will be glowing in the dark... and I'm not talking about halloween costumes here people!"
Old 10-19-04, 05:12 PM
Suspended

Location: Now in the Mojave desert...but still, thankfully, outside Los Angeles
Cheney's speeches constantly echo the idea that a Kerry win means that the US will suffer a nuclear attack and that Kerry will be unable to defend the US.

One wonders what the implications are for a pre-election nuclear strike on a US city? Would Bush et al accept responsibility for being unable to defend the US or use it as an opportunity to further curtail civil liberties? "We tried to keep you safe, but those godless Democrats and their gay marriage/stem cell agenda weakened the country so we couldn't...but now we will."

Remember America is safer...or in danger...or in safer danger. Bush said so. It must be true.
Old 10-19-04, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Pure apologist nonsense. Of course Cheney is implying that a Kerry win spells nuclear attack. He couldn't be any more clear. Kerry criticizes the president's record on national security but he doesn't blatantly suggest that terrorists will punish us for electing Bush. There's a BIG difference.
yeah he could be clearer if that is what he is implying.

i dont see how he is implying a kerry win spells a nuke attack. you are just using your partisan blinders to read what you want
Old 10-19-04, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by waveform
Cheney's speeches constantly echo the idea that a Kerry win means that the US will suffer a nuclear attack
have any of his speeches done this?
Old 10-19-04, 06:02 PM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by waveform
Cheney's speeches constantly echo the idea that a Kerry win means that the US will suffer a nuclear attack
have any of his speeches done this?
Today he said:
``The biggest threat we face now as a nation is the possibility of terrorists ending up in the middle of one of our cities with deadlier weapons than have ever before been used against us - biological agents or a nuclear weapon or a chemical weapon..."

On Sept 7th he said:
``It's absolutely essential that eight weeks from today, on Nov. 2, we make the right choice, because if we make the wrong choice, then the danger is that we'll get hit again, that we'll be hit in a way that will be devastating from the standpoint of the United States...''

One can certainly make a connection between those 2 statements.
Old 10-19-04, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If you are elected president, what will you take to that office thinking is the single most serious threat to the national security to the United States?

KERRY: Nuclear proliferation. Nuclear proliferation. There's some 600-plus tons of unsecured material still in the former Soviet Union and Russia. At the rate that the president is currently securing it, it'll take 13 years to get it.

I did a lot of work on this. I wrote a book about it several years ago -- six, seven years ago -- called "The New War," which saw the difficulties of this international criminal network. And back then, we intercepted a suitcase in a Middle Eastern country with nuclear materials in it. And the black market sale price was about $250 million.

KERRY: Now, there are terrorists trying to get their hands on that stuff today.

And this president, I regret to say, has secured less nuclear material in the last two years since 9/11 than we did in the two years preceding 9/11.
Old 10-19-04, 07:25 PM
Banned

If you are elected president, what will you take to that office thinking is the single most serious threat to the national security to the United States?

KERRY: Nuclear proliferation. Nuclear proliferation. There's some 600-plus tons of unsecured material still in the former Soviet Union and Russia. At the rate that the president is currently securing it, it'll take 13 years to get it.

I did a lot of work on this. I wrote a book about it several years ago -- six, seven years ago -- called "The New War," which saw the difficulties of this international criminal network. And back then, we intercepted a suitcase in a Middle Eastern country with nuclear materials in it. And the black market sale price was about $250 million.

KERRY: Now, there are terrorists trying to get their hands on that stuff today.

And this president, I regret to say, has secured less nuclear material in the last two years since 9/11 than we did in the two years preceding 9/11.
Is funny Mr. Flip Flop said that. Now, why turn around and propose giving Iran a nuclear reactor.