Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

explain these two to children - Kerry wins Nick.com poll

Old 10-19-04, 11:33 AM
Premium Member

trying to explain these two to children

Nickelodeon had a you pick the president special on two nights ago. So I let the kids watch it without comment.

But they still want ABB because of me. I tried to explain that "you" should listen and think if Bush might be better. I explained that half of the voters feel very strong that Bush is better.

Then I tried to explain that people think Bush will be very strong on the war against terrorist and that the basic parties have different views on what government should do. This was all to complex to them because they dont understand.

Then I tried to explain why each side does not like the other, which seemed way easier (sad but true).

I explained that Kerry seems like he will say a do anything to make people like him and many feel he will spend more money then Bush and we will have to pay for it.

About Bush I said people feel he has made our friends mad at us because he ignores them when they disagree with him. I said that he sides with businesses on many issues.

Then

Yesterday they had a friend over that was for Bush. So they could see that there are two sides. But none could say why they liked either except "my parents like ......"

If you had to try and be fair and explain these two to a kid what would you say?

here is the nick site which does a pretty poor job also IMO?

http://www.nick.com/all_nick/special...nt/index.jhtml
Old 10-19-04, 11:39 AM
Admin-MemeCat

It's pretty common that kids will follow what their parents like in terms of political affiiations. That lasts until they themselves are adults and start seeing the world outside of what they know from their parents (ie. college, moving out, workplace, adult friends, etc). I don't think you're going to be able to get your kids to be "free thinkers" until you get them out of the house. I think you're making a good effort though.
Old 10-19-04, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: trying to explain these two to children

Originally posted by bfrank
Nickelodeon had a you pick the president special on two nights ago. So I let the kids watch it without comment. But they still want ABB because of me.
Heh. Wait 'til they're 16. They'll do plenty of "independent thinking" and will reach many conclusions contrary to yours. Most of those, you won't like.

Very noble of you, actually. But understanding politics first requires understanding <i>people</i> - credibility, partisanship, class struggle. Wait at least until their teenage years.

- David Stein
Old 10-19-04, 11:57 AM
Premium Member

but as a parent I think is important that they understand there are two views. The trouble is how to explain them fairly?

look what a crap job nick did in the link above
Old 10-19-04, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"Daddy, but you said that President Bush will take away the happy smoke bottle?"
Old 10-19-04, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by bfrank
look what a crap job nick did in the link above
That site <i>rocks.</i>

"Kids pick the president!" ... Yeah, that's basically my view of the American electorate, too.

I really like the anime-esque images of each candidate in the bios section. I think they should take this a step further. George W. Bush is not only a pro-religion, pro-security candidate, but he also has X-ray vision and a Magneto-Heat Ray. Kerry is not just pro-choice and pro-freedom, but he's originally from the planet Zoltar and he can fly while shooting an ice beam.

Ooh look, they have a message board section! Nickelodeon is doing its part in training kids to be... future members of the DVD Talk Other Forum.

The threads in that forum are priceless.

Subject line: "tell me if you don't like kerry"
Subject body: "because I dont see why"

Heh. And they have a poll, too, with the results to be broadcast on "U-Pick Live" tomorrow. Of course, it's unsecured - you don't have to register, you just click the button to vote... hmm, where did I put that copy of Ghostmouse again?...

- David Stein
Old 10-19-04, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
It took me until I was 33 to see that the correct side was very different from the "two sides."
Old 10-19-04, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by sfsdfd

Ooh look, they have a message board section!
Thanks for the heads up -- I just registered. Finally, I'll be able to win an argument!
Old 10-19-04, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by movielib
It took me until I was 33 to see that the correct side was very different from the "two sides."

28 for me.
Old 10-19-04, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by dork
Thanks for the heads up -- I just registered. Finally, I'll be able to win an argument!
Sorry to disappoint you, but I registered there, too.

Ready to get your debate on? Time to throw down, Nickelodeon-style!

- David Stein
Old 10-19-04, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• VinVega •

It's pretty common that kids will follow what their parents like in terms of political affiiations. That lasts until they themselves are adults and start seeing the world outside of what they know from their parents (ie. college, moving out, workplace, adult friends, etc). I don't think you're going to be able to get your kids to be "free thinkers" until you get them out of the house. I think you're making a good effort though.
I disagree with this. Growing up, I was a lot more liberal than my parents. Granted, most of it came from idealistic ignorance, but it wasn't a rebellion thing, just a lack of understanding of how the world really worked and what people were really like outside of my community. I was a free thinker, just not an experienced one. While I was aware of my parents' political beliefs, I wasn't overly conerned with them, and they weren't concerned with me knowing their opinions. Obviously I was influenced by my general upbringing, but politically I evolved pretty independent of my parents. I suspect many people had similar experiences.

Granted, as I grew older, went through college, experienced real world responsibilities and formed a life for myself, I realized how foolish many of my teenage opinions were and that my parents really did know what they were talking about (obviously, that applies to more than just politics too ). We still disagree on a lot, but the difference is much smaller.

Anyway, while it sounds like your kids may be too young to handle this silly election right now, just keep trying to have dialogues with them without forcing your opinion. The great thing about kids is that they're always listening and learning. One day they'll have all sorts of opinions and knowledge, and you'll wonder where the hell it all came from. Then you'll realize it was because you were a good parent.

das
Old 10-19-04, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

according to what i rmember from history class, the way a person's parents vote is the number one indicator of how they'll vote.

that being said, I have always voted opposite of my parents...go figure
Old 10-19-04, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• sfsdfd •

Time to throw down, Nickelodeon-style!
So, how is Kerry going to fix the quagmire in Iraq?

Honestly, I don't know how one can ...

das
Old 10-19-04, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Here's how I would explain it to my kids if I had kids:
===================
John Kerry is what is called a "liberal." That means he thinks the government should be there to help people out. The good part of this is that everyone can get the help that they need -- like if they lose their job, the government can help them find a new one, or if they don't have a place to live, the government can give them food and shelter. The bad part of this is that it costs money to give everyone all of this stuff, so everyone has to give more of their money to the government.

John Kerry also thinks we are fighting the terrorists the wrong way. He thinks we should work more with other countries. He also thinks that it was wrong for us to go to war in Iraq because it distracted us from fighting the terrorists.

John Kerry also thinks that it's sad when Americans lose their jobs. He thinks part of the reason this happens is that companies are hiring people from other countries. So he wants to give rewards to companies who hire Americans and punish companies that don't hire Americans.

John Kerry also thinks that it's important not to make laws based on religion. He says lots of people believe lots of different things about God, so it's unfair to make laws because of what he believes about God.

George Bush is what is called a "conservative." That means he wants to kill your Mommy and Daddy and touch you in your bathing suit places.
===================
I think that sums up the difference nicely.
Old 10-19-04, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

OK, here's how I would really explain Bush:
===================
George Bush is what is called a "conservative." This means that he thinks the government should try to stay out of people's way. The good part of this is that people have more money to spend on stuff. The bad part of this is that when people need help, the government isn't there to help them. George Bush says that's OK because the people can get help from their families or their neighbors. People who disagree with George Bush say "What if their families or their neighbors won't help, or won't give enough help?"

George Bush says the war in Iraq was important because lots of terrorists live in Iraq. He says the bad man running Iraq wanted to hurt us and was helping the terrorists, so it was important to fight him. George Bush wants other coutnries to help us fight terrorists, but he thinks it's more important to fight terrorists the way we want to than it is to compromise with other countries.

George Bush also thinks that it's sad when Americans lose their jobs. He thinks part of the reasons this happens is because it can be too expensive to run a company these days. He wants to get rid of a lot of the rules that tell companies what they can do and what they cannot do. He also wants to lower taxes on companies.

George Bush also thinks that religion is an important part of most people's lives. He says a lot of us agree on a lot of things about God, so it's OK to make laws based on those beliefs. He says even if some people disagree, it's not fair to let them stop us from making laws that most people agree with.
===================
How's that?
Old 10-19-04, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Show them a picture of Dick Cheney. Tell them that if they vote for Kerry, this man will eat them.

Worked for my little cousin, though he's too young to vote.
Old 10-19-04, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by JasonF
Here's how I would explain it to my kids if I had kids:
===================

George Bush is what is called a "conservative." That means he wants to kill your Mommy and Daddy and touch you in your bathing suit places.
Old 10-19-04, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I actually explained it in very easily to my four- and seven-year-olds.

If you see a sign that says "Bush-Cheney," you yell out "Booooo."

If you see one that says "Kerry-Edwards," you yell out "Answer the d*mn question already!!"

Old 10-19-04, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Man, this election is getting to everyone, even kids.

I'll say this: they're still young, so I actually would discuss politics as little as possible with them. Help them focus on kid stuff, if they're already intensely partisan even before their teens then I'd say you have a problem.

I think a coupel fo years ago, Bill O'Reilly had some kid I think he was 14 and he had written a whole book. I thought, jeez, what a loser. But he said he was Libertarian so he muist be pretty smart to figure out there's more than two sides for every issue.
Old 10-19-04, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Ranger
I'll say this: they're still young, so I actually would discuss politics as little as possible with them. Help them focus on kid stuff, if they're already intensely partisan even before their teens then I'd say you have a problem.
Actually, here's an idea: Talk to them about issues - not crazy mature stuff like partial-birth abortion and Medicare, but something simpler. Pick issues they can understand - like the case about the guy who didn't want to give his name to the police, or the ability of the government to monitor reading habits. If your kids say, "The government shouldn't be allowed to know what I'm reading," ask them why that might have value.

My point is that you can at least get them to think about both sides of every issue. It's too early to teach them politics - but you can teach them objectivity, and to consider all sides of every issue. That's pretty much the exact opposite of teaching them partisanship.

- David Stein
Old 10-19-04, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

"Understanding is a three-edged sword ..."

das
Old 10-19-04, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk God

I told my oldest that there was not a lot of difference between the two. That they both wanted the same things for everyone, but had different ways of getting there. The different ways is what people disagree on. And Kerry is a booger head.
Old 10-19-04, 02:27 PM

I'd like to applaud JasonF for the excellent way he described 'liberal' and 'conservative' viewpoints in a clear and understandable way. I doubt many undergrad Poli Sci students could come close to that level.

---------------------------------

Oh, and how's this for a corollary to the joke conservative definition:

John Kerry is what is called a "liberal." That means he wants the terrorists to kill your Mommy and Daddy and pay homeless people to touch you in your bathing suit places.
Old 10-19-04, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

bfrank, how old are your kids?
Old 10-19-04, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by eXcentris
bfrank, how old are your kids?
They're in their late 30s.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.