Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

My take on local elections

Old 10-19-04, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

My take on local elections

This is something I prepared for my coworkers. It mostly deals with local elections. I thought I'd share. Enjoy.

<P><FONT size=3><EM><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'">We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. --That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, </SPAN></EM><STRONG><I><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'">it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government</SPAN></I></STRONG><EM><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'">...&nbsp;&nbsp; -</SPAN></EM><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'">The Declaration of Independence <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></SPAN></FONT></P>
<P style="TEXT-INDENT: 0.5in"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">As citizens of the United States of America, we have the right and privilege to institute a new government every four years.&nbsp; This is no right one should take lightly.&nbsp; Unlike what many naively state, our duty is not to be a voter, but to be an informed voter.&nbsp; I decided I would share some of the information I came across in the process of educating myself.&nbsp; This is some of the information I encountered and my analysis of it.&nbsp; As an informed voter, you should investigate the candidates and issues yourself.&nbsp; You should NOT rely on what I have said.&nbsp; You should NOT even believe that all of this is accurate.&nbsp; However, you SHOULD vote the way I recommend :) </SPAN></P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P><STRONG><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">U.S. Senate</SPAN></STRONG></P>
<P><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt">Denise L. Majette <BR>Party: Democrat&nbsp; <BR>Website: <A target="_blank" href="http://www.denisemajetteforsenate.org/" >www.denisemajetteforsenate.org</A>&nbsp; <o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-INDENT: 0.5in"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt">Denise Majette is the sitting Congresswoman from the 4th district.&nbsp; She ran for the Senate seat against the advice of many leaders in the Party.&nbsp; Her decision to leave the 4th district has left it open for what appears to be an&nbsp;easy victory by Cynthia McKinney.&nbsp; Although that is not her fault, she still gets negative marks for it.&nbsp; Her <A target="_blank" href="http://www.majetteforsenate.org/issues.asp" ><SPAN style="mso-bidi-font-size: 10.0pt">issues page</SPAN></A> has no real relevant information.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>From what I can gather she is for jobs, children, making America stronger, and protecting the environment – such brave declarations.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>She does state that she is against privatizing social security, a negative in my opinion as I trust myself more than
I trust the government.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>Her notable co-sponsorships of bills in Congress include H.RES.594 : Congratulating the Kennesaw State University Owls for winning the 2004 NCAA Division II Men's Basketball National Championship, and for other purposes. H.CON.RES.314 : Expressing the sense of Congress regarding women with bleeding disorders.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt"><SPAN style="mso-tab-count: 1">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </SPAN>Majette has very little chance of winning the race.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>She has very few accomplishments in Congress, which is excusable for a one-term member.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>However, that added to the fact that she doesn’t express any details about the issues on her website make it very hard for anyone to know what she really plans to do in Congress.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt">Allen Buckley <BR>Party: Libertarian&nbsp; <BR>Website: <A target="_blank" href="http://www.buckleyforsenate.org/" >www.buckleyforsenate.org</A>&nbsp; <o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="mso-tab-count: 1">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </SPAN>Buckley wants to tie the tax rate to the spending rate of the government.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>Although this seems like a good idea to limit spending, as stated above, I don’t trust the government.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>I don’t expect them to stop spending just so my taxes will be lower.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>Buckley wants to create a massive energy program within the government that would promote the use of alternate fuels.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>He proposes a “MAJOR financial reward (perhaps $50 Billion)”.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>That doesn’t sound very libertarian to me.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>Either way, Buckley has no chance of winning.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN></P>
<P><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt">Johnny Isakson <BR>Party: Republican&nbsp; <BR>Website: <A target="_blank" href="http://www.isakson.net/" >www.isakson.net</A>&nbsp; <o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt"><SPAN style="mso-tab-count: 1">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </SPAN>Isakson is the sitting Congressmen from the 6<SUP>th</SUP> District.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>He cosponsored the “Fair Tax” legislation that would replace the current system with a consumption tax.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>He claims to support an end to frivolous lawsuits, aiding the military, educating every child, protecting the homeland, and standing up for traditional values…again, very bold statements for a politician.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>He is a little better than Majette, in that he states bills he has sponsored or voted for that match each issue.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt"><SPAN style="mso-tab-count: 1">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </SPAN>Isakson has the best chance of winning the race.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Al Bartell<BR>Party: Write-in<BR>Website: <A target="_blank" href="http://www.bartellforsenate.org/" >www.bartellforsenate.org</A><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><SPAN style="mso-tab-count: 1">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </SPAN>This guy appears to be an ex-Republican and is pretty conservative.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>He wants to build better neighborhoods, after school programs, and race relations.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>I’m not sure how any of that is relevant in the Senate.</SPAN><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt"><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Matthew Jamison<BR>Party: Write-in<BR>Website: ???</SPAN><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt"><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt"><SPAN style="mso-tab-count: 1">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </SPAN>This guy can’t be found through Google which automatically eliminates him from the running.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt">&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt">&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><B><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt">Endorsement<o:p></o:p></SPAN></B></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><B><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt">&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></SPAN></B></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt">As some of you may remember, during the primaries I correctly predicted that Isakson would be running against Majette in the general election.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>I also did not endorse either of them as they both of faults.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>However, due to a lack of a better choice I will have to go with <B>Johnny Isakson</B> in the general election.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>His support of the “Fair Tax” gave him the victory.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P><STRONG><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">U.S. House District 3</SPAN></STRONG></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt">Jim Marshall <BR>Party: Democrat&nbsp; <o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt">Website:<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN><A target="_blank" href="http://www.jimmarshall2002.org/" >www.jimmarshall2002.org</A><BR style="mso-special-character: line-break"><BR style="mso-special-character: line-break"><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-INDENT: 0.5in"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt">Jim Marshall is the current representative from the 3<SUP>rd</SUP> district.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>He barely won in 2002 and looks like he could lose this year.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>He is pretty conservative for a Democrat.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>He supported the war in Iraq and even wrote an <A target="_blank" href="http://www.ajc.com/opinion/content/opinion/0903/22international.html?urac=n&amp;urvf=10642377116960.8839345774896111" >editorial</A> in the AJC talking about how the media is not helping the situation by only concentrating on the negative parts of the war.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>Some of the bills he sponsored or cosponsored:<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>H.CON.RES.320 : Expressing the sense of the Congress regarding the importance of
motorsports.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>H.J.RES.22 : Proposing a balanced budget amendment to the Constitution of the United States.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>H.J.RES.4 : Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States authorizing the Congress to prohibit the physical desecration of the flag of the United States. H.J.RES.106 : Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States relating to marriage.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>The last three there are pretty conservative views.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>He supports a balanced budget amendment, which I believe is a good thing seeing how Congress doesn’t understand how to spend money.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>He supports banning flag burning, which I think is bad things seeing how the flag is supposed to stand for freedom, including freedoms we don’t like.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>He supports
banning gay marriage, which whatever your opinion, you’ll agree it is mainly supported by conservatives.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>(I’ve found another site that says he supports a gay marriage ban but hasn’t cosponsored the amendment, but I think that information was out of date).<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><B><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt"><SPAN style="mso-tab-count: 1">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </SPAN></SPAN></B><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt">It appears most of Marshall’s contributions come from lawyers and unions.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>He voted FOR Bush’s tax cuts, but against tort reform.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>One site says he voted the same as Nancy Pelosi 73% of the time.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt">Calder Clay<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt">Party: Republican<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt">Website:<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN><A target="_blank" href="http://www.calderclay.com/" >www.calderclay.com</A><BR style="mso-special-character: line-break"><BR style="mso-special-character: line-break"><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-INDENT: 0.5in"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt">Clay ran against Marshall two years ago and barely loss.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>He’s running again hoping he can cash in on the conservative swing Georgia is on.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>Clay says one of his main priorities would be to see the Fair Tax become law, which is a huge plus for him.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>Clay wants to allow people to invest part of their contributions to Social Security, Marshall opposes that, again Clay wins out.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>Clay says he supports tort reform.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-INDENT: 0.5in"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt">Clay gets a huge negative for his campaigning.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>He is using negative ads to misrepresent Marshall’s stands on issues.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>Although everything he says is factually correct, he misrepresents it in a similar way to what Michael Moore does.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><B><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt">Endorsement<o:p></o:p></SPAN></B></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><B><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt">&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></SPAN></B></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt">This is a hard one.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>I think that Clay will win out this time.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>He lost by 1% last time – 1,528 votes.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>I think the state has continued it’s shift to the right and he’ll pick up that many votes.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>The endorsement was hard on this one as well.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>Overall, they are pretty similar on most issues.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN><B>Calder Clay</B> gets a huge negative for his campaigning but he wins out overall because his support for the Fair Tax, tort reform, and social security investing.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P><STRONG><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">U.S. House District 1</SPAN></STRONG></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt">Jack Kingston<BR>Party: Republican&nbsp; <o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt">Website:<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN><A target="_blank" href="http://www.votejackkingston.com/" >www.votejackkingston.com</A><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt"><SPAN style="mso-tab-count: 1">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </SPAN>I don’t think Jack Kingston’s website is valid anymore, but who cares, he has no opposition.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>It’s great to live in a democracy where you have a choice between…one candidate.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>And since he didn’t have to worry about reelection, he could happily vote himself a <A target="_blank" href="http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2004/roll451.xml" >raise</A>.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt">In case you haven’t figured it out yet, Kingston will win.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>But since in a time of record budget deficits, he can’t find the courage to sacrifice a raise, I would encourage anyone in his district to write-in a candidate.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>Of course, if we were going with write-ins, I’d probably have to endorse a write-in for every race so I’ll stay away from that.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>The official endorsement will have to go with <B>Jack Kingston</B>.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>Although, if I lived in his district, I would leave the office blank as a sign of protest.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P><STRONG><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">U.S. House District 4</SPAN></STRONG></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt">Cynthia McKinney <BR>Party: Democrat&nbsp; <o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt">Website:<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN><A target="_blank" href="http://www.jimmarshall2002.org/" ><STRONG><SPAN style="COLOR: windowtext; TEXT-DECORATION: none; mso-bidi-font-size: 10.0pt; text-underline: none"><SPAN style="mso-field-code: 'HYPERLINK ' http://www.cynthiaforcongress.com ''"><U><SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal; COLOR: blue">www.cynthiaforcongress.com </SPAN></U></SPAN></SPAN></STRONG><SPAN style="COLOR: windowtext; TEXT-DECORATION: none; text-underline: none"><SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp;</SPAN></SPAN></A><BR style="mso-special-character: line-break"><BR style="mso-special-character: line-break"><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-INDENT: 0.5in"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt">That’s right folks, she’s back.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>The congresswomen you only saw heard about when she was accusing someone of racism or saying Bush knew about 9/11 is back and running for her old seat.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>This right here should be enough information about her, but I’ll give you a little more.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-INDENT: 0.5in"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt">From her website:<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>“</SPAN><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">I support H.R. 40’s call to establish a commission to examine the institution of slavery, the legacy of racial and economic discrimination against African-Americans, the impact of these forces on living African-Americans, and to make recommendations to the Congress on appropriate remedies.”<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>It sounds a lot like she supports reparations for slavery.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-INDENT: 0.5in"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">One of the “issues” listed on her site is “Hip-Hop”: “</SPAN><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt">Cynthia McKinney is a strong advocate, mentor and supporter of the Hip-Hop community.”</SPAN><FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3> </FONT><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt"><SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp;</SPAN>Out of all the issues facing the country, she decides to list “Hip-Hop”.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-INDENT: 0.5in"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt">Here is some more information I found about her.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>I did not bother to verify these quotes or their context, that is left for the reader: ‘</SPAN><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">In 1996 she called supporters of her Jewish Republican congressional opponent "holdovers from the Civil War days" and "a ragtag group of neo-Confederates". Even Democrats aren't safe. "Gore's Negro tolerance level has never been too high", she said during campaign 2000. "I've never known him to have more than one black person around him at any given time."’<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-INDENT: 0.5in"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt">Catherine Davis <BR>Party: Republican&nbsp; <o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt">Website:<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN><A target="_blank" href="http://www.jimmarshall2002.org/" ><STRONG><SPAN style="COLOR: windowtext; TEXT-DECORATION: none; mso-bidi-font-size: 10.0pt; text-underline: none"><SPAN style="mso-field-code: 'HYPERLINK 'http://www.catherine2004.org/''"><U><SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal; COLOR: blue">www.catherine2004.org/</SPAN></U></SPAN></SPAN></STRONG><SPAN style="COLOR: windowtext; TEXT-DECORATION: none; text-underline: none"> </SPAN></A><BR style="mso-special-character: line-break"><BR style="mso-special-character: line-break"><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-INDENT: 0.5in"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt">Frankly, this lady has no chance of winning so I’m not going to spend too much time learning about her.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>From her website, she supports changing the Fair Tax, changing the way Social Security is run, and tort reform.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-INDENT: 0.5in"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt">&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt">Cynthia McKinney is going to win easily.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>Of course, even without knowing much about her, I am endorsing <B>Catherine Davis</B>.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>No matter how bad she might be, she can’t be worse than Cynthia McKinney.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><B><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt">Georgia Senate District 18<o:p></o:p></SPAN></B></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt">Cecil Staton<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt">Party: Republican<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt">Website:<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN><A target="_blank" href="http://www.statonforsenate.org/" >http://www.statonforsenate.org/</A><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-INDENT: 0.5in"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt">He seems to be running on the fact that he is a conservative and it looks like he is trying to ride the coattails of other Republicans (Bush, etc.).<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>He is for Families, Jobs, Life, the Base, Education, Healthcare, Tort Reform, ethics in government and a responsible government.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>He owns a couple of publishing companies and looks like he could be Roy Barnes’s son.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-INDENT: 0.5in"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt">&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt">Ben H. Taylor<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt">Party:<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>Democrat<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt">Website:<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN><A target="_blank" href="http://www.bentaylorforstatesenate.org/" >http://www.bentaylorforstatesenate.org</A><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt"><SPAN style="mso-tab-count: 1">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </SPAN>He seems to be running on the fact that he is a conservative.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>He is for Families, Jobs, Life, the Base, Education, Healthcare, Tort Reform, integrity in government and a responsible government.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>Sound familiar?<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>He seems like the old school Democrat who is a Democrat because his family has always been Democrats.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>The guy is the Minister of Education and Church Administration at First Baptist of Macon.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt">It almost doesn’t seem to matter who you pick, they are basically the same person.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>They even highlight the same issues on their web pages.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>I think Staton will probably win the election because of the state’s Republican shift, but I will endorse <B>Ben Taylor</B> because his service on the Board of Education gives him important experience.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><B><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt">Public Service Commissioner<o:p></o:p></SPAN></B></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt">Robert B. “Bobby” Baker Jr.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt">Website:<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN><A target="_blank" href="http://www.bobbybaker.org/" ><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'"><FONT color=#800080>http://www.bobbybaker.org/</FONT></SPAN></A><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-INDENT: 0.5in"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt">He is a current member of the PSC.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>Bobby hasn’t updated his website since the primaries, doesn’t bode well for him.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>He is also a UGA alum, but he went to DeKalb county for high school so that two will cancel each other out.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>He wants to protect the consumer and keep the energy production high in Georgia to meet future demands.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>He also worked to ban any off the record communication between PSC members and utilities they regulate.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt">Mac Barber<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt">Party:<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>Democrat<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt">Website:<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>???<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="mso-tab-count: 1">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </SPAN>Barber is 86 years old but says he can do the work the office demands.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>He was on the PSC before but quit to run unsuccessfully for Lt. Governor.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>He thinks the Georgia Power makes enough money that they can handle any increased energy demands in the future.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>He says he will not and has not accepted campaign contributions from any company he would regulate.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>He gets a big plus for that.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">JaLynn Hudnall</P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Party:<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>Libertarian</P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Website:<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN><A target="_blank" href="http://www.votepscgeorgia.org/" ><FONT color=#800080>www.votepscgeorgia.org</FONT></A></P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="mso-tab-count: 1">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="mso-tab-count: 1">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </SPAN>Third party candidate who has little chance of winning, but she’s a local from Warner Robins.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>She supports opening up competition in the power industry so consumers can pick their supplier, a plus.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>She supports giving consumers the option of buying from renewable energy sources and they can decide if they want to pay more for that, a plus.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>She wants to block the government from abusing eminent domain to take citizen’s land, a big plus, although I don’t think she’ll ever have power to do this.</P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt">This is basically a race no one cares about.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>I think Baker will win it since he’s the incumbent, but for my endorsement, I will have to go with <B>JaLynn Hudnall</B>.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>She’s a local and she wants to give the choice to me, and I like that.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><B>State Representative 146<SUP>th</SUP><o:p></o:p></B></P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><B>&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></B></P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Larry O’Neal</P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Party: Republican</P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Website: ???</P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="mso-tab-count: 1">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </SPAN>Why bother to make a website if you’re running unopposed?<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>O’Neal is a floor leader in the House so that is good for Warner Robins.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>It appears he supported amending HOPE so you have to have a 900 on the SAT to be eligible, which is good also.</P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><B>Endorsement<o:p></o:p></B></P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><B>Larry O’Neal</B> will win if you vote for him or not.</P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><B>State Representative 145<SUP>th</SUP><o:p></o:p></B></P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Willie L. Talton</P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Website: ???</P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="mso-tab-count: 1">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </SPAN>From the AJC:<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>“Talton said he owns about 40 houses and rents them to low-income people who qualify for government assistance.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>‘That's my weekend job. [But] I'm not a slumlord’”.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>Whatever, buddy is a slumlord, awesome!<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>He was one of the first two black hired onto the WRPD.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>He will become the first black Republican to serve in the State House since Reconstruction if he is elected.</P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><B>Endorsement<o:p></o:p></B></P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><B>Willie L. Talton</B> will win if you vote for him or not, but you should because he is a slumlord.</P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><B><SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp;</SPAN><o:p></o:p></B></P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><B>District Attorney of Houston Judicial Circuit<o:p></o:p></B></P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Kelly Burke</P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Website: <A target="_blank" href="http://www.electkellyburke.com/" >www.electkellyburke.com</A></P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Michael J. Moore</P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Party: Democrat</P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Website: <A target="_blank" href="http://www.michaelmooreda.com/" ><FONT color=#800080>www.michaelmooreda.com</FONT></A></P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="mso-tab-count: 1">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </SPAN>We’ll look at these two together as this might be one of the more entertaining races, at least to research.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>Looks like the race is between a Playboy Playmate (googling Kelly Burke shows you that really quick) and a crazy Hollywood producer.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>But it gets better.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>The current DA, Kelly Burke, has his own hate website: <A target="_blank" href="http://www.deposekellyburke.com/" ><FONT color=#800080>www.deposekellyburke.com</FONT></A>.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>It appears Burke is a <A target="_blank" href="http://www.deposekellyburke.com/verdicts/pirate.htm" ><FONT color=#800080>pirate</FONT></A> fan and makes his staff wear pirate t-shirts.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>The website sees that as a
negative, but of course we all know it’s a true plus.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>On his own website, Burke tells his supporters to encourage their friends to vote early so they don’t have to worry about last minute mud-slinging against him.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>Does he think something is going to come out that will make people change their minds on voting for him?<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>Burke went to Georgia Tech but he has some weird views, at least according to his hate site, so I take it with a grain of salt.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>He writes <A target="_blank" href="http://www.houstonda.org/articles/index.html" ><FONT color=#800080>articles</FONT></A> on the website, so his views are public for everyone to see.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>Moore claims he will restore dignity to the office.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>He says the conviction rate is very low and gives a number on
his site.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>Burke argues that the number is misleading and he comes up with a rate above 90% using his math.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>Moore doesn’t address much else on his website.</P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">This is a really hard race.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>I think Burke might win just because people don’t want to vote for a guy named Michael Moore.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>I am very hesitant to endorse either because we don’t really know much about Moore other than he isn’t Burke.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>Burke has been pretty open about everything and even posts articles with his views on different subject on his website.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>If I have to endorse one, I’d pick <B>Kelly Burke</B> just because he is more open and you know what you’re getting, however, I am seriously considering leaving this one blank since I don’t feel I know enough about the race.</P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><B>Judge, Court of Appeals of Georgia<o:p></o:p></B></P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Debra Bernes</P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Website:<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN><A target="_blank" href="http://www.bernesforcourtofappeals.com/" ><FONT color=#800080>http://www.bernesforcourtofappeals.com</FONT></A></P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Howard Mead</P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Website:<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>???</P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Mike Sheffield</P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Website:<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN><A target="_blank" href="http://www.electsheffield.com/" ><FONT color=#800080>http://www.electsheffield.com</FONT></A></P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-INDENT: 0.5in">Apparently, Mead has never served as a trial lawyer and many think this means he is not qualified to be a judge.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>Sheffield has said how he would rule on certain issues, some think this means he wouldn’t rule by law and therefore he isn’t qualified.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>Bernes received the best feedback of members of the Georgia Bar Association.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>All three say they won’t legislate from the bench.</P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">This is another hard race because I’m not a lawyer and don’t know much about all that.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>I will have to go with <B>Debra Bernes</B> though because she seems the most qualified and has decades of experience as a DA.</P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><B>Judge of the Probate Court<o:p></o:p></B></P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Janice Davidson Spires</P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><B>Clerk of the Superior Court<o:p></o:p></B></P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Carolyn V. Sullivan</P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><B>Sheriff<o:p></o:p></B></P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">H. Cullen Talton, Jr.</P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><B>Tax Commissioner<o:p></o:p></B></P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Mark Kushinka</P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><B>Coroner<o:p></o:p></B></P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Daniel L. Galpin</P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><B>County Commissioner Post 3<o:p></o:p></B></P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Gail C. Robinson</P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><B>County Commissioner Post 4<o:p></o:p></B></P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Larry Thomson</P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><B>County Commissioner Post 4<o:p></o:p></B></P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Tom McMichael</P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">You know what?<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>I’m lazy.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>I don’t really feel like researching any of these people since none of them have any competition.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>I suggest you do like the primaries and write in <B>Me</B>for the above races.</P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><B>Constitutional Amendments<o:p></o:p></B></P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">No. 1 </P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">"To define marriage as the union of man and woman. (Senate Resolution No. 595): </P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Shall the Constitution be amended so as to provide that this state shall recognize as marriage only the union of man and woman?"</P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Here is the actual text of the amendment:</P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">"MARRIAGE</P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">"Paragraph I. Recognition of marriage.</P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">"(a) This state shall recognize as marriage only the union of man and woman. Marriages between persons of the same sex are prohibited in this state.</P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">"(b) No union between persons of the same sex shall be recognized by this state as entitled to the benefits of marriage. This state shall not give effect to any public act, record, or judicial proceeding of any other state or jurisdiction respecting a relationship between persons of the same sex that is treated as a marriage under the laws of such other state or jurisdiction. The courts of this state shall have no jurisdiction to grant a divorce or separate maintenance with respect to any such relationship or otherwise to consider or rule on any of the parties' respective rights arising as a result of or in connection with such relationship."</P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">The opponents claim that part (b) of the amendment could be used to ban civil unions as well and that it is misleading that it isn’t included on the ballot.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>Supporters say it is what it claims to be a simple ban on gay marriage.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>Gay marriage is already against the law in Georgia, but this would add it to the Constitution so that the state courts can’t overturn the law.</P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">I’m actually withholding my support or opposition to this amendment for the current time.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>I would however like to know what your views are and why.</P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">No. 2 </P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">"To provide the Supreme Court jurisdiction to answer questions of law from federal courts. (House Resolution No. 68): </P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Shall the Constitution be amended so as to provide that the Supreme Court shall have jurisdiction and authority to answer questions of law from any state appellate or federal district or appellate court?"</P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Under current law, there are some cases that the Federal district courts hear that concern state law.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>If there is no precedent set under the state judicial system, the Federal district courts will interpret the law themselves and then rule.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>During any appeals to the federal appellate courts, the courts can ask the state Supreme Court to give an interpretation of the law.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>This means another trial and more time wasted.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>Opponents say that this isn’t a Constitutional issue and can be resolved with laws.</P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Vote <B>Yes</B> to this amendment.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>It will help ease clutter in the court system.</P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt 0.5in; TEXT-INDENT: -0.5in"><B>President of the United States<o:p></o:p></B></P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt 0.5in; TEXT-INDENT: -0.5in"><B>&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></B></P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt 0.5in; TEXT-INDENT: -0.5in">George W. Bush</P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt 0.5in; TEXT-INDENT: -0.5in">John F. Kerry</P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt 0.5in; TEXT-INDENT: -0.5in">Michael Badnarik</P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt 0.5in; TEXT-INDENT: -0.5in">&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt 0.5in; TEXT-INDENT: -0.5in">&nbsp;<o:p></o:p></P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">By this time you have already made up your mind on who to vote for so I’m not going to bother with it.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>Besides, you live in Georgia so with the Electoral College, your vote doesn’t even matter.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>I will say that there really isn’t that much at stake here.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>No matter what the candidates will have you believe, Bush and Kerry agree on most of the issues facing America.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>They may differ on implementation of some things but it won’t make that big of a difference.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>The quote at the beginning of this email was written in response to a despot who was seen as oppressing this nation.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>To ensure that would never happen again, the framers of the Constitution designed a system where the
executive government would not have much power and what they did have would be checked and balanced by the other branches of government.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>It seems in modern times Congress has forgotten their part in this system and they like to blame all the ills of this country on the Executive Branch.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>The Executive Branch on their part likes to take credit for all the good that happens in this country.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>If you take an objective look at the situation, you realize that almost all of the power the Executive Branch abuses today was given to them by the Legislative Branch outside the system setup by the Constitution.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>Enough of my Libertarian ranting, the main point is that it doesn’t matter that much who is President come next January, if you really want to institute a new form of government start with your local offices and
with Congress.</P>
Old 10-19-04, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk God

So many words......so many
Old 10-19-04, 11:43 AM

If one of my co-workers presented me with a similiar manifesto, I would spread the word around to the other jocks that we had a new nerd to beat up after work.
Old 10-19-04, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Groucho
If one of my co-workers presented me with a similiar manifesto, I would spread the word around to the other jocks that we had a new nerd to beat up after work.
but when you work at an engineering firm with all nerds, its okay.
Old 10-19-04, 12:12 PM
Admin-Thanos

Oh yeah, this thread has REAL potential with the attention span around here.

Old 10-19-04, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Is this something your coworkers expressed interest in, or did you just decide to distribute it?
Old 10-19-04, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: My take on local elections

<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">No. 2 </P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">"To provide the Supreme Court jurisdiction to answer questions of law from federal courts. (House Resolution No. 68): </P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Shall the Constitution be amended so as to provide that the Supreme Court shall have jurisdiction and authority to answer questions of law from any state appellate or federal district or appellate court?"</P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Under current law, there are some cases that the Federal district courts hear that concern state law.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>If there is no precedent set under the state judicial system, the Federal district courts will interpret the law themselves and then rule.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>During any appeals to the federal appellate courts, the courts can ask the state Supreme Court to give an interpretation of the law.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>This means another trial and more time wasted.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>Opponents say that this isn’t a Constitutional issue and can be resolved with laws.</P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><B>Endorsement<o></o></B></P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><B>&nbsp;<o></o></B></P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Vote <B>Yes</B> to this amendment.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp; </SPAN>It will help ease clutter in the court system.</P>
From this thread (that you started) it seems that this has more to do with gay marriage than with uncluttering the courts. Perhaps more thought should be applied to the decision.
Old 10-19-04, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by jdodd
Is this something your coworkers expressed interest in, or did you just decide to distribute it?
it's so true. if so, you might want to look into becoming a mormon. they're all about that shit
Old 10-19-04, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I sent one for the primaries and they liked it. It wasn't to the whole company, just a few friends
Old 10-19-04, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

anyone bother reading it? or even a part of it?
Old 10-19-04, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
My favorite food is peas.
Old 10-19-04, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Are we really suppose to read that whole thing?
Old 10-19-04, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Mopower
Are we really suppose to read that whole thing?
yes! its not that long. alot of it is white space. or atleast read a little of it
Old 10-19-04, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sweet. Can you make one up for me with my local candidates? I'm having a hard time deciding on a couple and would like your take.
Old 10-19-04, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm with Thor (although in different states, I think)...I've been trying to find stuff regarding Florida's (Broward County if I need to get that specific) election stuff...I've found issues about presidential candidates, but other than that I can't find a whole lot about our senate race etc. I especially want to learn more the amendments etc...things like Amendment 3 (regarding medical errors), Amendment 4 (taxing some of the local casinos to get more $ for the state) etc.

I don't want to show up to the voting area, check one box (this pres or that senator guy) and turn in the ballot. If nothing else, I fear I'll have flashbacks to taking (and failing miserably at) math tests where I'd answer like one or two questions out of 20 cause I couldn't figure out the rest.

I don't even need you to provide all the info, but I need areas to look. The best I've been able to do so far (thru the help of Pharoh) involves...I forget the name of it....Women's something-or-other...League or some such. They were WONDERFUL with presidential candidates and their stand on issues etc. But had no luck with the local end of things.

Any help from Venusian (or anyone else for that matter) would be greatly appreciated. This one reason I've not gone in to vote early...I want to know more before going in, and #2...I wanted to see what sort of glitches/problems they run into in the first days of the early voting...let 'em work it out before I show up. The last thing I need is problems on my virginal votes.
Old 10-19-04, 08:01 PM
Admin-Thanos

Hey harpo, they should be sending out sample ballots to registered voters soon. I got mine today. It shall be my cheat sheet for the election with so many ammendments to the State Constitution. I am sad to say however that my local Congressman is a Republican and is running unopposed. No one even had the balls to get on the ballot against him. I can say though that I plan to vote for my first Libertarian though, since he's the only one on the ballot against a Republican for the State House. I know it's like a Republican voting for Nader, but I'm not voting for a Republican if I can avoid it.

Here's the Florida Election page: http://election.dos.state.fl.us/index.html

Hopefully, that will help you with your choices on the ammendments.

Here's the link to just the ammendments to the FL State Constitution: http://election.dos.state.fl.us/init...listBallot.asp

Have fun!
Old 10-19-04, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

League of Women voters is what you're talking about. The local GA chapter did a write up on all the candidates for state office, it was pretty useful. also check the local paper (AJC for georgia) for their voter guide on the candidates. Google is your friend. google the canddiates and find their pages and sites about them (harder for Const Amends). There are probably newspaper articles on the const. amendments though.

but remember almost all of these sources are biased so try to get as many sources as possible for everything so you can make a wise choice
Old 10-19-04, 09:46 PM

to Venusian. Nice work.

Here is mine:

Vote (R)

Vote No

Old 10-19-04, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Pharoh

Vote No

even on amendment 2?
Old 10-19-04, 09:52 PM

Originally posted by Venusian
even on amendment 2?

Only at a very cursory first glance, yes. Of course, it is more of a general recommendation, than a specific one. However, I do believe that when in doubt, vote no on all issues.
Old 10-19-04, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks VinVega, I plan on checking out the link as soon as I'm done posting this!

Yup, that's the one I was talking about Venusian, Women's League of Voters...I like the idea that they are saying that it's important to be INFORMED when you vote. I wonder what the percentage of overall voters (for all parties concerned) that vote blindly based on the letter (picture of representing animal too?) next to the name etc.

Say...Pharoh, are you saying to vote for it if it's got the "R" next to it, and vote "No" to any sort of amendment? I'm all for voting "R"....I was never a fan of "PG-13"

An interesting note: the only commercials I've seen for amendments have been for: #3 (both yes & no ads), #4 (yes only), #7 and #8 (both yes only ads).

Can't wait to find out what the hell they're really talking about.

EDIT: VinVega: how can you tell which amendment # it is? Is it safe to assume that they're listed in order? NOTE: Looks like the answer is yes. There are only 8 amendments? I guess I should be thankful...much more and I won't be able to fit it on my own personal cheat sheet on how I want to vote. You think they'll expel me from elections if I write how I want to vote on my forearm?

ALSO: Glad to hear they are sending out the cheat sheets...I received one for the primaries, but I didn't attend, I'm registered as independent. I was wondering when I'd get it...that's been helpful too.

Last edited by harpo787; 10-19-04 at 11:00 PM.
Old 10-20-04, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

harpo, here's my take on the amends:

1) Yes, if they must have authorization for a tattoo, why not atleast notification for a termination of pregnancy?

2) Yes, let the people propose, although this will probably lead to more clutter in the future

3) Yes, don't give lawyers so much money

4) No, ain't a big gambler here, and seems mean to the other counties

5) No, read the min wage thread

6) No? Monorails are cool! actually, maybe yes if there is no need for it

7) Yes, everyone wants to know what's wrong with their doctors

8) Yes? sounds good, but maybe No, it sounds like it will just encourage more lawsuits and settlements since now they can extort the doctors more
Old 10-20-04, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

hmmmmm that was a waste of my life
Old 10-20-04, 08:51 AM
Admin-Thanos

harpo, my ammendment link is how they will be listed on the ballot. The good folks at this site didn't feel the need to number them which is pretty funny considering all the ads flying about talking about ammendment # whatever.
Old 10-20-04, 09:02 AM
Admin-Thanos

Originally posted by Venusian
harpo, here's my take on the amends:

1) Yes, if they must have authorization for a tattoo, why not atleast notification for a termination of pregnancy?

2) Yes, let the people propose, although this will probably lead to more clutter in the future

3) Yes, don't give lawyers so much money

4) No, ain't a big gambler here, and seems mean to the other counties

5) No, read the min wage thread

6) No? Monorails are cool! actually, maybe yes if there is no need for it

7) Yes, everyone wants to know what's wrong with their doctors

8) Yes? sounds good, but maybe No, it sounds like it will just encourage more lawsuits and settlements since now they can extort the doctors more
Here's how I'm voting:
1) No. No parental notification. You want your kids to confide in you, that's your problem, not the government's. I'm pro choice and this cuts into that.
2) No. Currently the deadline for Constitutional Ammendments is 90 days. This would make it 3 times longer, making it harder to get ammendments on the ballot in Nov. thus limiting the direct Democracy that we enjoy in the state of FL.
3) Yes. A resounding YES. This state is saturated with ambulance chasers already, we don't need them getting any more money. Wooo-flurkin'-hoo!
4) No. We've got enough gambling already in the state. This is the Sunshine State, not the Slot Machine State.
5) Yes. The majority of jobs at least in my area are service and low paying. This money will go right back into the economy because these people live paycheck to paycheck.
6) No. Jebby doesn't want to pay for the public transportation in this state. He also doesn't have to sit on I-4 and I-275 that are inundated with traffic and vacationers.
7) Yes. I'd want to know if I was going into a shady medical practice BEFORE they mess me up.
8) Yes. This is how you protect patients, not more lawsuits. 3 strikes as a doctor and you're out.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.