Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

May I venture a conspiracy theory now?

Old 10-18-04, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

All this talk about Zarqawi being a "possible successor to Bin Ladin himself" and the Al Queda merger, yadda yadda yadda.

The theory? We cannot find Osama. We need to find something ASAP. We've found Zarqawi. Build him up first, then break the report. There's our hit at Al Queda for an October surprise.

Thoughts?

[dons tin foil hat and hums the hills are alive with the sound of music and moabs]
Old 10-18-04, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

al Zarqawi is a prominent and very formidable terrorist. In fact, more so than bin Laden is, at this stage in the latter's career, if he is even still alive.

Breaking al Zarqawi would be a coup indeed.
Old 10-18-04, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by DivxGuy
al Zarqawi is a prominent and very formidable terrorist. In fact, more so than bin Laden is, at this stage in the latter's career, if he is even still alive.

Breaking al Zarqawi would be a coup indeed.
I see the Bush administration has already gotten to you.

Old 10-18-04, 11:36 PM

If you really feel the need
Old 10-19-04, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Insane.

Spoiler:
I was just thinking the same thing today at work
Old 10-19-04, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Heh. "Saddam Hussein - er, Osama bin - no, wait, I meant al-Zubaydah - er, al-Zarqawi. Yeah, him." I'm not sure the administration can tell the difference any more. Even worse, I'm not sure the public ever cared about tell the difference, or even knowing that these were different people. Turbans + funny names = terrorists... that's what Michael Bay taught us.

I'd be happy to see any of the terrorists caught, including al-Zarqawi. Election year, no election year, Bush, Kerry, whatever. The guys who are bombing our troops need to get arrested and locked away forever. That's my foremost thought on the issue.

- David Stein
Old 10-19-04, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Turbans + funny names = terrorists... that's what Michael Bay taught us.
Good grief, I really don't hope you believe that about your fellow Americans. Talk about reducing conversation in here to the lowest common denominator?
Old 10-19-04, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by chanster
Good grief, I really don't hope you believe that about your fellow Americans. Talk about reducing conversation in here to the lowest common denominator?
Have you seen some of the posts on this board?
Old 10-19-04, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've seen plenty of posts on this board, feel free to point any out you think highlight Mr. Stein's point. And please remember to include context and sarcasm.
Old 10-19-04, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, I certainly wouldn't want to call anyone out by name, but here's the first such example I found:
better look into atlanta mosques, they're probably funneling money to terrorists
Or am I missing some nuance?
Old 10-19-04, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Cmon post the link, lets see it in context. I can pull out all kinds of fun parts of sentences that would make people look liek jackassses...so lets see the whole conversation. You already implied there are a bunch of racists on the board - so back it up! And I'm not talking about the random fools who cmon in and post one thing and leave..

Last edited by chanster; 10-19-04 at 01:27 AM.
Old 10-19-04, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I didn't realize that Islam was a race?

Anyways, like I said, I'm not trying to call out anyone in particular, but my point stands: I consider DVDTalk to be a cross-section of the US, I'd venture to say that on average, posters in Other/Election are better educated and informed on the issues than the average American...

But based on some of the comments I've read on this board, it's not hard to believe that a sizeable chunk of the US population has, if not a hatred of muslims, at the very least, a deep seated fear and distrust of them. Check out the threads on that lady's (don't remember the name) article about the Muslim musicians on a plane for an idea of what I'm talking about. And the reason I said I don't want to call anyone out, is the member I quoted is a DVDTalk Legend.

Like I said, I was able to find that quote in about 5 minutes. That's not the whole thread, but that's the whole post, I didn't do any Moore-esque editing on it to exaggerate my point. I'm sure you can find the original thread quite easily, and then come back and blast me, saying that it was clearly a joke, or sarcasm.
Old 10-19-04, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Good grief, I really don't hope you believe that about your fellow Americans.
In fact, I do. I think that the government could characterize anyone with funny clothes, a dark mideastern complexion, and an odd accent as a Muslim terrorist, and the American public would largely be convinced.

This is hardly a baseless conclusion. Good grief, just ask anyone who comes from <i>anywhere</i> in the region about how they've been treated in the last two years. Most of the folks in my MCIS program come from the region - Indians, Pakistanis, Egyptians, even <i>Israeli</i> - and they <i>all</i> say that people react to them more suspiciously now.

I can't believe that I have to support this point, but I'll offer up the story over the summer about the Syrian musicians on an airline who drove some paranoid bitch into hysteria with their "hijacking dry run." And I'll offer up the fact that in the wake of September 11th, an upsurge in assaults on Middle Eastern men was noted - Iraqi, Pakistani, whatever.

I posit that this is the position of most Americans, because most Americans are ignorant on this topic (and many others.) They see the Middle East as (a) Israel and (b) a bunch of untrustworthy zealots with funny religious practices. Keep in mind, this is the country where like 80% of Americans can't point out Iraq on the globe.

- David Stein

Last edited by sfsdfd; 10-19-04 at 01:54 AM.
Old 10-19-04, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by whaaat
Check out the threads on that lady's (don't remember the name) article about the Muslim musicians on a plane for an idea of what I'm talking about.
Parallel thinking.

I can't believe that we're even debating whether or not Americans are ignorant and paranoid about the Middle East. The <i>degree</i> is debatable; the <i>fact</i> is simply beyond contesting in good faith.

- David Stein
Old 10-19-04, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here's another sweetie-pie comment from the thread on how Europe is expected to be Islamic by the turn of the century:
oh boy oh boy I can't wait to bomb Europe soon.
Old 10-19-04, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by sfsdfd
Parallel thinking.

"It's an honour"
Old 10-19-04, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I feel really sorry for you if you feel that way. You intentionally confuse the issue of American's poor geography skills with racism.

Offering up media stories as proof means absolutely nothing. Just becuase an incident makes the airwaves doesn't means it is representative. And yes, I understand that probably hundreds of smalle incidents happen everyday, for every incident, there are probably 100 people that go about their lifes unmolested..and racism towards people of other skins isn't limited to Americans.
Old 10-19-04, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

oh boy oh boy I can't wait to bomb Europe soon.
Oh yeah, I'm sure thats serious.
Old 10-19-04, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I feel really sorry for you if you feel that way. You intentionally confuse the issue of American's poor geography skills with racism.
While I won't go so far as to say you're intentionally missing David's point, I think there are two issues going on here. Do you think it's okay for people to hate on Muslims, as long as they're definitely Muslims, and not Sikhs or Hindus with brown skin? Or does ignorance about ME geography mean that people get a pass on what seems to be their intent, to be distrustful and suspicious of these "potential terrorists."
You seem to be making my point for me.
Old 10-19-04, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Oh yeah, I'm sure thats serious.
Whether or not the comment was 100% serious, I think it shows more about the poster's attitude towards Islam than you care to admit.

I didn't really expect to change your mind at all, but I'm going to sleep now, because even though we differ ideologically, we both agree that the Star Wars SE's are an abomination, and I don't have the constitution for arguing online.
Old 10-19-04, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: May I venture a conspiracy theory now?

Originally posted by Thor Simpson
All this talk about Zarqawi being a "possible successor to Bin Ladin himself" and the Al Queda merger, yadda yadda yadda.

The theory? We cannot find Osama. We need to find something ASAP. We've found Zarqawi. Build him up first, then break the report. There's our hit at Al Queda for an October surprise.

Thoughts?

[dons tin foil hat and hums the hills are alive with the sound of music and moabs]
thats ridiculous

Build him up first? So you think the Bush administration sabotage their own war to build him up only to take him down??? You don't think the American people would have prefered a properly run Iraq War over taking one terrorist out close to an election?
Old 10-19-04, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by sfsdfd
Parallel thinking.

I can't believe that we're even debating whether or not Americans are ignorant and paranoid about the Middle East. The <i>degree</i> is debatable; the <i>fact</i> is simply beyond contesting in good faith.

- David Stein
David,

we could extend that even further in that most are ignorant about a lot more than that. we have a lot of people going to polls who have no clue about the issues. candidates play to fears more so these days than tout positives.

also, it is probably safe to venture that a majority of the electorate has no clue how a policy change trickles down and affects them in the end. they just like to focus on how a theme is spun.

what is even more disturbing is that people do not take the franchise as seriously as they should. many don't vote. it is just as much a responsibility to educate yourself and vote as it is a right to vote. a lot of people want rights, but not the accompanying responsibilities that come with them. That is very very sad. Citizenship comes with both and that is what helped make this country what it is.
Old 10-19-04, 07:23 AM

Build him up first? So you think the Bush administration sabotage their own war to build him up only to take him down???
I think he meant build him up in the sense of press/coverage not actually supplying him w/ weapons and the like.
Old 10-19-04, 08:30 AM
Admin-Thanos

Capturing al-Zarqawi would certainly be a big event. Not sure if it's an election winner, but it would be a nice notch in the gun belt for the US. I'd approve if they killed that bastard.
Old 10-23-04, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Well if we can`t capture Zarqawi,how can we ever capture Bin Bin Bin Run...

Zarqawi is right there, thumping his nose at us every day...

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.