Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Kerry talking down to voters

Old 10-18-04, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Kerry talking down to voters

http://www.cleveland.com/news/plaind...0574985410.xml

"Can I get me a hunting license here?" Kerry asked store owners Paul and Debra McKnight.

Is it me or is that comment and his phrasing just wrong? Is that really the way he said it? If so isn't that just talking down to voters and him showing his elistist side?
Old 10-18-04, 04:32 PM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: Across the Hudson [email protected]: Hoboken. LET'S GO YANKS!
Lock me please
Old 10-18-04, 04:33 PM
Banned

LIBERAL MEDIA!

If so isn't that just talking down to voters and him showing his elistist side?
Seems like a stretch to me.
Old 10-18-04, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No big deal here.
Old 10-18-04, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Contactsport1
LIBERAL MEDIA!

Seems like a stretch to me.
Why is it a stretch? Kerry is very well spoken, that isn't how he talks, and if he walked into a store that certainly isn't how one would expect him to ask for a gun license. He walks into the store and trys to talk like he thinks the people in that area talk. Doesn't seem right to me.
Old 10-18-04, 04:39 PM

If that's "talking down to voters," than Bush has been "talking down to voters" every single day of his political career!
Old 10-18-04, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
If that's "talking down to voters," than Bush has been "talking down to voters" every single day of his political career!
Well Bush talks like that all the time, Kerry doesn't. Maybe Kerry feels he needs to sound more like Bush.

I know that I would be offended if Kerry came to NJ and started trying to talk and sound like Tony Soprano.
Old 10-18-04, 04:58 PM
Banned

Originally posted by tcoursen
Why is it a stretch? Kerry is very well spoken, that isn't how he talks, and if he walked into a store that certainly isn't how one would expect him to ask for a gun license. He walks into the store and trys to talk like he thinks the people in that area talk. Doesn't seem right to me.
First off, it is one sentence with no conversation before or after, so you have no idea what was really said. Second, you seem to really be fishing for a reason to dislike Kerry, when there has to be 100 really good reasons just waiting to be used.

Filing this in the BFD file.
Old 10-18-04, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I can't get upset about this. Just Kerry jumping into colloquialism at the spur of the moment just like any of us do all the time for one thing or another.

He may have just felt extra "peppy" at the moment.

Yes, he may have been "talking down", but I think that is less likely, and how would we know that?

I don't think we should just assume things like this.
Old 10-18-04, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
he actually thinks gun owners will warm up to him for this
Old 10-18-04, 05:18 PM

Not really a big deal to me, but I understand why it was brought up. If speaking to his 'elitist' status, this situation sort of equates to the 2nd debate as well where he referred to audience members by their first names (Pres. Bush and Charles Gibson referred to people as Mr/Miss so-and-so).
Old 10-18-04, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

No foul here.. Kerry was just trying to be funny, and that just doesn't work for the man.
Old 10-18-04, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That's it. I'm voting for Bush now.
Old 10-19-04, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Thor Simpson
That's it. I'm voting for Bush now.
Thor- that never gets old
Old 10-19-04, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

And he is for the gun laws.... hmmm isnt that ironic dont you think
Old 10-19-04, 10:48 AM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

What's worse, he spoke a little in French at a campaign stump speech.
http://slate.msn.com/id/2108379/
Old 10-19-04, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Kerry talking down to voters

Originally posted by tcoursen
http://www.cleveland.com/news/plaind...0574985410.xml

"Can I get me a hunting license here?" Kerry asked store owners Paul and Debra McKnight.
My first thought was, "What hick town was he visiting, that he thougt he had to talk that way to appeal to people?"

Then I saw: "Oh yeah, it's Cleveland."

I should talk like that more often. "Can I get me a chicken sandwich? And one for my half-brother Cletus, too?"

Kerry has made this awful mistake before, though - he started saying "heavens to Betsy" while visiting Wisconsin. Combined with his wind-surfing expedition, and the priceless quote "Who among us doesn't love NASCAR?", it's clear that he's trying to be all things to all people, and of course is failing miserably.

This is really a problem with all of politics, though - candidates are generally afraid of expressing anything about themselves or their positions that might alienate someone. It's gotten so bad that they all kind of blend together into a gray mass of sanitized blandness.

My point is that the time is ripe for a candidate with an <i>actual personality</i> and <i>concrete</i> views on issues to come to the plate. A candidate who says "I am generally pro-life" will alienate some left-wing voters - but will also win points across the board for being a clear speaker. I don't actually expect this to happen - but I think that it <i>could.</i>

- David Stein
Old 10-19-04, 11:51 AM

Re: Re: Kerry talking down to voters

Originally posted by sfsdfd
I should talk like that more often. "Can I get me a chicken sandwich? And one for my half-brother Cletus, too?"
"Cletus Stein."
Old 10-19-04, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Re: Kerry talking down to voters

Originally posted by sfsdfd
If he's only your half-brother, what's his other half??

*rimshot*
Old 10-19-04, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

funny how Democrats make fun of how Bush talks but when it comes to meeting with the average folks and appealing to middle of the road people they have to talk like him to appear normal. Honestly, does anyone actually believe Kerry has ever used the "Can I get me a" phrase in his everyday life??
Old 10-19-04, 04:22 PM

Originally posted by IMRICKJAMES
funny how Democrats make fun of how Bush talks but when it comes to meeting with the average folks and appealing to middle of the road people they have to talk like him to appear normal. Honestly, does anyone actually believe Kerry has ever used the "Can I get me a" phrase in his everyday life??
Most people I hang out with think Bush talks like a rube and Kerry talks like a snob. I think we'd prefer something in between. Hell, both Dick Cheney and John Edwards come across better than Bush or Kerry, and they couldn't have more dissimilar speaking styles.
Old 10-19-04, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
kerry likes to say ideer too

Originally posted by IMRICKJAMES
Old 10-20-04, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk God

John Kerry in a campaign speech yesterday: "Social Security is the greatest retirement plan in history."

1. Social Security is not (and was never intended) to be a retirement plan.

2. Even if it was, it's not the greatest retirement plan in history. CSR is a much better retirement plan, for example.
Old 10-20-04, 10:31 AM
Premium Member

I have to add the draft and the flu shot crap is just suckekekekeke!

I give him a pass on social security because that have transcripts of Bush saying it to his backers (even if Kerry is spinning it). But these other two are just lame and I think hurt him more then help.

It fits the Bush attack of he will say anything to win.
Old 10-23-04, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I finally heard this on the radio yesterday. Priceless.

Can I get me a download of this from somewhere?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.