Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film
View Poll Results: Are you Pro-Kerry or Anti-Bush
I am mainly Pro-Kerry
18.18%
I am mainly Anti-Bush
44.44%
I am voting Bush and want to see the results.
37.37%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

(for those voting for Kerry) Are you Pro-Kerry or just Anti-Bush?

Old 10-18-04, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk God

(for those voting for Kerry) Are you Pro-Kerry or just Anti-Bush?

It seems that so many that are for Kerry just hate Bush. It reminds me a bit of Dole v. Clinton. No one was really for Dole (well, a few were, but very few), they were mainly against Clinton.

What about you? Is Kerry actually the guy you want, or is he just the guy who isn't Bush?
Old 10-18-04, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk God

After reading the NY Times 'endorsement,' it is clear what they are.
Old 10-18-04, 01:28 PM
Banned

Voted for Bush last pass, but I really haven't been happy with him and his administration. I was really hoping for a stronger effort from the Democrats. Kerry is just downright painful.
Old 10-18-04, 01:29 PM

99% of the Kerry voters I know are just anti-Bush. Most of them hadn't even heard of John Kerry until 12-18 months ago.
Old 10-18-04, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I got into a discussion about this with a guy at work the other day, and he insisted he was Pro Kerry, like being Anti Bush was an insult. However, when pressed to provide one single attribute of Kerry that he favored over Bush in any specific capacity, he could not do it. The best he could come up with was, "I think Kerry would handle Iraq bettter." My response, "how?" "Well, he has to be better than Bush." At least be honest with yourself about it. The ABB mentality is why we're stuck with such a terrible alternative in the first place; don't take it a step further and act like you think he's a great candidate if you don't believe it.

das
Old 10-18-04, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm more anti-Bush than anything. I don't believe that Bush has done a very good job in office, but I'm not sure Kerry could do any better.

However, Kerry does seem more "presidential" to me than Bush.
Old 10-18-04, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Too bad there's not some sort of psychological detector built into this poll -- I'm confident that there's a measurable percentage of Kerry supporters who think they're pro-Kerry, but who are actually ABB.

Also, to be fair, let's remember that there's likely an anti-Kerry slice of the electorate out there as well, or anti-Liberal, or anti-Massachusetts, etc. I admit that this time around, the ABB crowd is probably by far the largest of the "anti-" groups, but the others probably exist to a certain degree as well.
Old 10-18-04, 01:36 PM

Originally posted by kenbuzz
Too bad there's not some sort of psychological detector built into this poll -- I'm confident that there's a measurable percentage of Kerry supporters who think they're pro-Kerry, but who are actually ABB.

Also, to be fair, let's remember that there's likely an anti-Kerry slice of the electorate out there as well, or anti-Liberal, or anti-Massachusetts, etc. I admit that this time around, the ABB crowd is probably by far the largest of the "anti-" groups, but the others probably exist to a certain degree as well.
Maybe, but look at it this way - even to Democratic voters (except maybe c-man and people from Massachusetts) Bush is the known quantity and Kerry is still relatively unknown. Therefore it's much more likely to be pro-Bush or anti-Bush than to have the same level of feelings about Kerry. Plus, their respective personalities almost insure a more lukewarm attitude (either positive or negative) regarding the junior Senator from Massachusetts.
Old 10-18-04, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm definitely ABB. I'm so ABB I'm actually going to vote for Kerry rather than my standard Libertarian vote. Yes, I know it doesn't matter in VA either way.

Why does it make a difference, anyway? Whether you are pro-Kerry or just anti-Bush, it means you like Kerry as a candidate more than you like Bush.
Old 10-18-04, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Duran

Why does it make a difference, anyway? Whether you are pro-Kerry or just anti-Bush, it means you like Kerry as a candidate more than you like Bush.

None really. This election probably will feature more 'lesser evil' voters than any election in the past. I'm sure there are millions of people (conservatives and those people who ride the Center) who will vote Bush simply because they fear a liberal Kerry in the WH.

Last edited by Red Dog; 10-18-04 at 01:49 PM.
Old 10-18-04, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Being against somebody isn't a good enough reason to vote *for* somebody. If you're that against somebody, find a candidate you can vote for, be it Nader, Badnarik, Kerry, Mickey Mouse, whatever. It's funny, the Democrats call Republicans negative, but I haven't heard too many reasons to vote "for" Kerry.
My inlaws are similar--they plan to vote for Kerry, and I sat down and said "Pretend I'm undecided. Why should I vote for Kerry?" Their big response was"'Because he's not Bush." Well then, why not vote for Badnarik? "I don't want to throw my vote away." Oh, they did say "because Bush was put there by the companies." [Not mentioning the fact that both Bush and Kerry were Skull and Bones, and both were tapped by the Norwegian [I think that's where they're based] "Illuminati". And that Kerry and Edwards would be put there either by the negative Bush bashers , which is certainly not a mandate on K/E's policies, and the lawyers lobby, which most people might think is even "worse" than the "big evil companies"].
Old 10-18-04, 01:46 PM
Banned

I really would question how many pro-Bush folks are just anit-dems. I think the argument goes both ways. I think there are a lot of republicans out there that would rather limp along with Bush, even though they are less than enthusiasitc about him and the job he's done, than see a dem in office.
Old 10-18-04, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am mainly Pro-Kerry 4 22.22%
I am mainly Anti-Bush 2 11.11%
I am voting Bush and want to see the results. 12 66.67%

Somebody better get DU in here quick! An online poll isn't going Kerry's way
Old 10-18-04, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, the whole pro-Kerry vs. anti-Bush thing is a giant red herring. It's like wendersfan and Duran said: All candidates promise you the world when they're campaigning, so you're always taking a gamble when you choose one. In that sense, the only one of the two that we already know what to expect from is Bush (which is in many respects quite different from what was promised by Candidate Bush in 2000), so those who think he's been a colossal failure see no need to reward that with a second term. Ergo, "ABB". So of course the election is a referendum on Bush.
Old 10-18-04, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by dtcarson
Being against somebody isn't a good enough reason to vote *for* somebody.
Sure it is. I think Bush is a bad president. I think virtually anyone would be better. Although I would prefer Badnarik's policies, our system makes it so that there is no realistic chance for him to win. Therefore, if I dislike Bush strongly enough (and I do), it is best for me to vote for the candidate with the best chance of winning that isn't Bush.
Old 10-18-04, 02:23 PM

What I find interesting is that the same people who were cheering on the recall election in California are now outraged that somebody would vote against a candidate.
Old 10-18-04, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm not sure I agree with this. I know many people who are voting for Kerry, who know absolutely nothing about him. They don't know what he believes, what he has done, what he will do, or even what he says he wants to do. yet they are still voting for him, simply because "he's not Bush."

These people cannot be said to like Kerry more than Bush.
Old 10-18-04, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk God

The rare time I disagree with Duran. dtcarson is correct to a degree - voting for one slightly less shitty pile of crap over another pile of crap only encourages the '1-party' to continue to sling shitbag candidates in our faces. Better to vote for someone you believe in at least 50% of the way (or not vote at all) than validate one of the major candidates (if you have to swallow down the vomit coming up when you vote) with a vote.

Heck, as such I won't even vote Badnarik this election.

Duran - viewing things through libertarian glasses, I honestly don't know why you think Kerry is any better than Bush. Now if your reason for voting for Kerry was to help force a split party WH/Congress, I could buy that.

Last edited by Red Dog; 10-18-04 at 02:27 PM.
Old 10-18-04, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
What I find interesting is that the same people who were cheering on the recall election in California are now outraged that somebody would vote against a candidate.
That's because there is a significant difference between a recall and an ABB vote in a general election. In a recall, an elected official is removed from office by the voters and a new election, with new candidates, is held. I see nothing analogous to that scenario in this election.
Old 10-18-04, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by RoboDad
That's because there is a significant difference between a recall and an ABB vote in a general election. In a recall, an elected official is removed from office by the voters and a new election, with new candidates, is held. I see nothing analogous to that scenario in this election.
The people who were most vehemently supporting the recall were also overwhelmingly for Schwarzenegger. (Talk about your blank slate, by the way.)
Old 10-18-04, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Duran •

Although I would prefer Badnarik's policies, our system makes it so that there is no realistic chance for him to win. Therefore, if I dislike Bush strongly enough (and I do), it is best for me to vote for the candidate with the best chance of winning that isn't Bush.
Actually, people like you make it so that there is no realistic chance for him to win. If people are just going to hop on the jock of the first guy who maybe kinda sorta is somewhat maybe like the person they might want to be the guy who isn't the guy they hate and has a chance to win, we'll never have any good candidates. Kerry's your only choice because early on he looked like he had the best chance to win. IMO, that's a terrible way to do things, and as long as the people continue to reinforce it by voting "against" the other guy, it's never going to get better.

das
Old 10-18-04, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by dork
The people who were most vehemently supporting the recall were also overwhelmingly for Schwarzenegger. (Talk about your blank slate, by the way.)
Again, not analogous to this election. Most of the people who are ABB are not overwhelmingly for Kerry.
Old 10-18-04, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
Anti-Bush. I did not want Kerry to be the Dem nominee. I was an early supporter of Howard Dean. Hell, I'd prefer if Edwards and Kerry swapped places on the ticket.
Old 10-18-04, 02:52 PM
Admin-Thanos

I believe this administration should be punished for its adventurism in Iraq. This is my most effective way of showing it.
Old 10-18-04, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

am i allowed to dislike bush AND like kerry?

it's like peanut butter and jelly...it just goes together.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.