Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Early voting in Florida?

Old 10-17-04, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Early voting in Florida?

I ran across this article earlier, and I wasn't sure what the deal was.

All Eyes on Florida as Early Voting Set to Begin

Sun Oct 17, 6:06 PM ET

By Frances Kerry and Mark Egan

MIAMI (Reuters) - Democrat John Kerry sounded a warning to Americans on Social Security as he headed to Florida on Sunday, a critical battleground state where early voting was set to begin under heavy scrutiny because of the recount controversy four years ago.

-snip-

"We have done everything we can to make sure that people have access to register to vote and that we've made it easy for people to vote. Starting Monday, people will have the chance to vote early," Jeb Bush said on ABC's "This Week."

-snip-
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...nm/campaign_dc

I was under the impression that everyone had to vote on November 2nd. I guess not.
Old 10-17-04, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Absentee. Just got mine on Friday.
Old 10-17-04, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Really? That's it? Well, silly me. Carry on.

Last edited by SunMonkey; 10-18-04 at 12:00 AM.
Old 10-17-04, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ever heard of the Democrat motto, "Vote early, vote often"?
Old 10-18-04, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's not absentee. And it's not just Florida.

Bunch of places have it so that you can vote early. There's usally one or two places in the county you can do it, like at city hall. Normal voting, just early.

Edit: It's kinda absentee balloting. And it technically is. You just use a real ballot, and a voting booth.
Old 10-18-04, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I believe Texas has voting booths up now as well, if they don't they soon will. They can vote at locations setup around the state (up to two weeks in advance) in case they can't make the November 2nd election.
Old 10-18-04, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I am going to vote today at the Home Depot by my house. Early started today for Texas.
Old 10-18-04, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow. So it was actual voting. My faith in kvrdave is shaken.
Old 10-18-04, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk God

It's a good thing. It might take some of those geezers a few weeks how to read the ballot.

Last edited by Red Dog; 10-18-04 at 10:53 AM.
Old 10-18-04, 10:45 AM
Admin-Thanos

Originally posted by Red Dog
It's a good thing. It might take some of those geezers a few weeks how to read ballot.
With the ballot Florida is looking at this election, I could believe that statement. We have state constitutional ammendments coming out the butt here and Senate and local races too. I am making a cheat sheet there's so much to vote on.

I do kind of like the public ammendments to the constitution though. It gives the voters more rights and it's more like a classic Democracy. Of course, it lets the legislature punt any sticky issues, rather than dealing with them and costing the legislators votes in the next election.
Old 10-18-04, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

done.

One for Kerry...two if you count my girlfriend.
Old 10-18-04, 02:12 PM

Looks like the fun has already started

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...r/voting_early
Problems Crop Up in Fla. Early Voting

By JILL BARTON, Associated Press Writer

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. - With memories of 2000 and the state's bitter fight over ballots still fresh, Floridians began casting votes Monday and within an hour problems cropped up.

In Palm Beach County, the center of the madness during the recount four years ago, a Democratic state legislator said she wasn't given a complete absentee ballot when she asked to opt for paper instead of the electronic touch-screen machines. Several voting sites in Broward County had problems with laptops connected to elections headquarters. And a brief computer system crash in Orange County paralyzing voting in Orlando and its immediate suburbs.

A steady flow turned out Monday morning at more than a dozen sites in Palm Beach County. Patrick Flanagan, who went to the county's election headquarters to cast his ballot, said he voted early because he wanted to avoid the long lines expected on Election Day. He said he's voted on the touch-screen machines once before, and both times have gone "very smoothly."

"I'm a computer-phobe, and it seemed easy enough to me," said Flanagan, who added that he had no concerns about his vote being counted.

Steve Perez, 44, said he went early to cast a "protest vote" for Ralph Nader (news - web sites).

"What's important is that you vote. I didn't want to get in all the hoopla with all the turnout in Election Day," said Perez, a substitute teacher.

While backers touted early voting for people like Flanagan as a way to avoid long lines on Nov. 2, some have criticized the concept, saying it increases opportunities for fraud without significantly boosting participation.

Some groups urged Florida voters to ask for paper absentee ballots because of concerns over the state's new touch-screen voting machines and any potential recounts. Voters Monday morning could choose either method.

State Rep. Shelley Vana said the paper absentee ballot she was given at a Palm Beach County site was missing one of its two pages, including the proposed amendments to the state constitution. She said election workers were indifferent when she pointed out the oversight.

"There was absolutely no concern on the part of the folks at the Supervisor of Elections Office that this page was missing. This is not a good start. If there are incomplete ballots out there, I can't imagine I would be the only one getting it," she said.

County elections supervisor Theresa LePore did not immediately return a call seeking comment.

Early voting also gets under way Monday in Texas, Colorado and Arkansas. Other key states this year have already begun in-person voting, including Iowa, Nevada, Ohio and New Mexico. Balloting by mail is under way in Oregon, the only state in the nation that has done away with polling booths altogether.

Early voting and touch-screen equipment were introduced in Florida after the 2000 election, in which this crucial state decided the result by only 537 votes and introduced topics such as butterfly ballots and hanging chads to the national debate. The early voting continues at a limited number of sites in each county until Election Day, when regular polling places will be open.

Protesters gathered outside the Duval County election supervisor's office Monday because the county, the state's most populous, had only one voting site. A city attorney said it said it was too late to open new sites, even though the city council had committed more money to the idea.

Broward County had 14 voting sites but several of them had trouble linking polling station laptop computers with the supervisor's office, said Jenny Nash, a spokeswoman for Secretary of State Glenda Hood. The computers are used to confirm voter eligibility. Workers used paper lists and called the supervisor's office in Fort Lauderdale to verify eligibility, Nash said.

Broward elections officials did not immediately return calls seeking comment.

In Miami-Dade County, about 150 people gathered Monday morning for a rally led by the Rev. Al Sharpton (news - web sites) and former U.S. Attorney General Janet Reno (news - web sites). Some people carried homemade signs that said "Early Voting Counts" and "Every Vote Matters."

Both President Bush (news - web sites) and Sen. John Kerry (news - web sites) arranged campaign swings through the Sunshine State over the weekend in efforts to capitalize on the early voting.

Even as voters turned out, lawyers were going to court in Fort Lauderdale to argue a lawsuit over the lack of paper backup on the state's electronic machines.
Old 10-18-04, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by SunMonkey
Wow. So it was actual voting. My faith in kvrdave is shaken.

Have faith friend. This is still abesentee voting, but not necessarily voting by mail.
Old 10-18-04, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Early voting started in Lawrence last week.
Old 10-18-04, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by chess
done.

One for Kerry...two if you count my girlfriend.
Done as well one for Bush...two if you count my wife. I guess we cross each other out.
Old 10-18-04, 05:27 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Dan Rather has just called Florida for Kerry.
Old 10-18-04, 05:30 PM

Are they allow to take exit polls to see how things are shaping up?
Old 10-18-04, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally posted by bhk
Dan Rather has just called Florida for Kerry.
Wow, took him longer than I thought it would
Old 10-18-04, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Fla. Court Rules on Provisional Ballots
People who cast provisional ballots at the wrong precinct are not entitled to have their votes counted, the Florida Supreme Court ruled Monday, rejecting an argument by labor unions that the rule wrongly disenfranchises voters. Full Story >>

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory?id=176619
Old 10-18-04, 09:58 PM
Banned

They openned booths today in Texas as well. They had a picture of the former President Bush and First Lady voting up on CNN earlier today. I think it is a good idea to give everyone at least 2 weeks to get in and vote. It ensures more turn out and makes politicians finalize their stances earlier than Nov 1st.