Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Rant - Kerry's Secret Service tab

Old 10-16-04, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Rant - Kerry's Secret Service tab

Just got off of the phone with my father - had our every-week-or-so phone call. Now I need to vent, and figured this would be as good a place as any!

Now, let me start off by stating that my father is quite the Republican - there's just no other option for him. He could be given concrete evidence that Bush was directly responsible for my mother's death (not likely, as he wasn't quite president yet when she passed away, but i digress) and it wouldn't change his opinion of the guy.

Anyway...he asks if I've been reading the emails he's been sending, to which I reply "Which ones - I get about fifty a day from you." (making mental note to never provide a computer for a guy in his 70's with nothing but free time on his hands again) His reply: "The ones about that idiot you like so much." I remind him that I'm not a huge Kerry supporter, I simply don't like Bush.

In particular, he directs me to an email entitled "Budget Busting". In brief, it summarizes Kerry's current wealth, and explains how much it will cost the taxpayer to provide Secret Service protection to him, his family, and his propeties. Now...this is supposed to be a reason not to vote for someone? If this is the case, let's lose all of the candidates with families - I'm writin' in a single guy with no kids, who lives in an apartment!

Anyway, if you care, here's the content of the email. None of the comments on top are my father's - he's not very profcient of the keyboard.

This may be too simplistic, but I don't doubt it--the worst part is the protection of all these properties THE REST OF HIS LIFE!!!! (Unless he sells them of course.) The other interesting part to me is why he accepts a SALARY....
Somebody is out there thinking....

Subject: Fw: BUDGET BUSTING

Can you believe it?

I didn't think of this! This is pretty interesting.

Most of us haven't thought about this no matter how much we like or dislike John Kerry. WOW! Those figures have to be staggering.

Subject: You will pay upkeep/Secret Service for 5 Kerry mansions.

It is good to be John F. Kerry....... The F stands for Forbes in case you ever wondered. (I didn't know that either)

He is one of the richest Senators in Government. When someone is elected president, it means the Secret Service has to protect the President and his family as well as his property.

The Kerry's have five US properties not counting the several foreign properties they own too. The cost to run these homes are more than what the average American could afford, even if the rent was free, and all you had to pay the water, gas &electric. Including ground keepers, maintenance, pool, and house keepers. To be President would require the taxpayers to pay for all that now if elected. Including a complete staffed Secret Service security 24 hours a day. In addition to that we will have to pay for each of their homes for security improvements even if they never go to them all, that is, that just in case. Who do you think will pay for all this? We Pay! This takes all the expense off Kerry and puts it on us.

Nevertheless, factor another major cost to Americans that Kerry does not want you to know about.

Becoming president would automatically include taking care of all their properties with Secret Service Agents that includes 5 agents per 6 hour shift 4 times a day 365 days of the year for the rest of their lives so long as they own those properties. It comes with being President, once you are elected. It requires us the taxpayers, to pay for this as well as his annual salary, as well as his retirements including the cost of living adjustments to boot, plus salaries and protection for all their real estate property, plus Secret Service Agents, and pay the bills for the rest of his life. In addition, feed the Secret Service Agents and rotate new ones every 6 hours for the rest of his life.

Do the math. Five properties need to be protected. This requires five Secret Service Agents per shift, daily every six hours, per property! That is 20 Secret Service Agents per day per property everyday including Holidays. Wow, what does that cost?

Lets say an average of 20 agents per property, each earning about $60,000 per agent to survey the perimeters and protect. Now times that by five properties so far. That is if the Kerry's do not buy any more properties afterwards. This also includes the Agents vehicles and repairs, gas, meals, days off, paid vacation, and medical plan visits, etc., per agent.

Who pays? YOU pay, the whole time they are alive after becoming President! Is this the best use of our tax money electing Kerry to take care of all their properties, both foreign and domestic? On the other hand, shouldn't he pay for his own? Yet, the Presidential salary could not afford it.

The more I think about paying for Kerry's properties everyday, just makes me happy keeping President Bush all the more merrier. Without raising taxes to boot.

How on earth would Kerry pay for everyone to have Healthcare, increase our military, and have us pay to protect his investments, all without raising our taxes? Tax and spend Kerry is his party motto.

Which really has to make you wonder why anyone with his wealth, would take a salary of that of a US Senator, never mind wanna be President? Do you believe now why he needs to be the Prez? To serve the people? On the other hand, the people serve Him and his wife!

Please pass the Mustard and do America a favor and pass this to your friends, lets keep Bush a president in the White House, and not have to protect another Kerry house

Last edited by emanon; 10-16-04 at 03:40 PM.
Old 10-16-04, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
it won't be the rest of their lives. clinton is the last president to get protection for life. it's now 10 years after leaving office for any president from w. bush on
I wouldn't base my vote on this, but it is something to consider and not just for kerry. maybe a law needs to be passed that the gov't will only pay for the SS to do 1 private residence, more than that is paid for by the person getting the service
every little bit of saving on spending helps
Old 10-16-04, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

http://www.snopes.com/politics/kerry/secret.asp

Snopes is your friend.
Old 10-16-04, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hadn't even occurred to me to run it through snopes - I was just being frustrated by the logic of it. Glad to see snopes agrees:

The only thing sillier than that notion that taxes would have to be raised to protect a putative President Kerry is the suggestion that the cost of Secret Service protection should be a factor in voters' choosing who should serve as President of the United States.
Old 10-16-04, 07:01 PM

it's now 10 years after leaving office for any president from w. bush on
Considering I believe the was done by executive order and not congress (I could be wrong though) I'd be VERY surprised if Bush doesn't undo it before he leaves office, whenever that may be.
Old 10-16-04, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My mom and stepdad are so antiKerry/proBush it's hard to talk politics with them too. They gleefully told me about the time Kerry and Teresa had a fight and slept in separate hotel rooms for one night--as if a marital squabble really matters that much with all the other issues going on. My dad, on the other hand, can give the same message (vote for Bush) without having it seem so partisan because while I disagree with him, his reasons aren't totally ridiculous.
Old 10-16-04, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Snopes link says the 10 year limit was Congressional legislation.
Old 10-17-04, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That's it. I'm voting for Bush now.
Old 10-17-04, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by nemein
Considering I believe the was done by executive order and not congress (I could be wrong though) I'd be VERY surprised if Bush doesn't undo it before he leaves office, whenever that may be.
Yeah, because Bush has been the <i>model</i> of personal sacrifice for the sake of federal fiscal responsibility.

As for <b>emanon</b>'s rant: People have lost their objectivity in this election. That's the natural result when you have a politically divided electorate and a year-long campaign season full of mudslinging.

- David Stein
Old 10-17-04, 11:58 AM

Originally posted by Thor Simpson
That's it. I'm voting for Bush now.
You misread the article. You need to vote Bush in order to save the taxpayers from being burdened by Secret Service guarding the vast Kerry estates.
Old 10-18-04, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk God

:yawn: I wish people who rant about this would rant about unconstitutional spending and other forms of government waste.
Old 10-18-04, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

All the things the government wastes money on, and they're complaining about the cost of protecting the President? I'd think that's a pretty legitimate function.
Old 10-18-04, 11:19 AM

Originally posted by WallyOPD
The Snopes link says the 10 year limit was Congressional legislation.
Guess I was wrong. No matter who put it in place though I think it's a pretty silly notion. I guess the reasoning is after 10 years the liability of them getting snatched/exploited has been decreased enough where it doesn't matter.
Old 10-18-04, 11:21 AM

Originally posted by nemein
Guess I was wrong. No matter who put it in place though I think it's a pretty silly notion. I guess the reasoning is after 10 years the liability of them getting snatched/exploited has been decreased enough where it doesn't matter.
Plus, nobody cares by then. I have no idea who was president 10 years ago. Don't really give a shit about ancient history from before I was born.
Old 10-18-04, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Out of the many, excellent reasons not to vote for Kerry, I have to admit frankly, this is the worst reason ever.

I'd like to see the remaining living Presidents show they are "in" with this by voluntarily agreeing to axe the Secret Service protection when their 10 years are up as a way to help government with costs. Probably, when pigs fly, but still.
Old 10-18-04, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I usually just send the Snopes link back after I get emails like that.