Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

'Fahrenheit' & 'Fahrenhype 9/11' To Be Shown At Polling Site

Old 10-15-04, 04:19 PM
  #1  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Democratik People's Republik of Kalifornia
Posts: 22,995
'Fahrenhype 9/11' To Be Shown At Polling Site

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/3824085/detail.html

ELYRIA, Ohio -- A hot-button film believed by some to be anti-Bush is getting multiple viewings at a local polling place the week before the election, NewsChannel5 reported.

Some say the West River branch library should not be playing politics.

Library user Jim Pengov is seeing red.

"Initially, I was floored," said Pengov, an Elyria resident.

The library is a polling place on Nov. 2 and the controversial movie critical of President George W. Bush is set to air three times the weekend before the election.

"They just got a one-mill levy passed. Taxpayers, like it or not, are paying for Michael Moore to spread his rhetoric at an official polling site two days before an election -- in a key state," Pengov said.

Librarian Debby Kressa said she is surprised by the complaints.

Kressa said the move came in and she just wanted to accommodate all the people on a waiting list to sign the movie out, so she thought it would be a good idea to show the film in the library's movie room.

The library posted an announcement that "Farenhype 9/11" will be aired as well. Officials are hoping that this will provide political balance for airing "Fahrenheit 9/11."

Pengov said because the library is a tax-exempt nonprofit organization he will go to court next week to try to stop the library from showing the movie at a polling site.
Myster X is offline  
Old 10-15-04, 04:20 PM
  #2  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 15,957


LOVING it.
digitalfreaknyc is offline  
Old 10-15-04, 04:20 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Ruler
 
General Zod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Posts: 21,435
I was confused reading this at first.. I think the title should be 'Farenheight 9/11' to be show at polling site, otherwise what is said later "The library posted an announcement that "Farenhype 9/11" will be aired as well." makes no sense.

Edited to say that anything funded with public money shouldn't be showing politically toned content.

Last edited by General Zod; 10-15-04 at 04:29 PM.
General Zod is offline  
Old 10-15-04, 04:33 PM
  #4  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: In a land far, far away.
Posts: 966
Originally posted by General Zod
I was confused reading this at first.. I think the title should be 'Farenheight 9/11' to be show at polling site, otherwise what is said later "The library posted an announcement that "Farenhype 9/11" will be aired as well." makes no sense.

Edited to say that anything funded with public money shouldn't be showing politically toned content.

Its a library. Are you going to censor all politically toned content?
Contactsport1 is offline  
Old 10-15-04, 04:34 PM
  #5  
Moderator
 
wendersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Nuova Repubblica di SalÚ
Posts: 32,859
Originally posted by General Zod
Edited to say that anything funded with public money shouldn't be showing politically toned content.
Well, maybe, and maybe not. I'd certainly be OK with a public library showing a series of political documentaries, with F 9/11 being part of that series. In fact, I would probably applaud such a thing, since if I support anything, it's public awareness of politics and of cinema.

OTOH, this bothers me a little less than Sinclair's proposed airing of a different documentary, since people would have to go out of their way to see the library airing, and the Sinclair-shown doc will be pre-empting existing broadcasting.
wendersfan is offline  
Old 10-15-04, 04:39 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Ruler
 
General Zod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Posts: 21,435
Originally posted by Contactsport1
Its a library. Are you going to censor all politically toned content?
I don't censor anything. They can have the tapes and books for rental, but they shouldn't be showing or pushing them. How would you feel if you walked into the library and the librarian shoved Ann Coulters book in your face and suggested you read it. I see showing movies like f/911 (both versions) to be doing the same thing. They wouldn't be advertising that they are going to show them if they didn't want people to see them. It is not a proper thing to do in a publically paid for establishment. Now, if we were talking about the barber shop or something down the street - I wouldn't have a problem with it at all.
General Zod is offline  
Old 10-15-04, 04:43 PM
  #7  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: In a land far, far away.
Posts: 966
Originally posted by General Zod
I don't censor anything. They can have the tapes and books for rental, but they shouldn't be showing or pushing them. How would you feel if you walked into the library and the librarian shoved Ann Coulters book in your face and suggested you read it. I see showing movies like f/911 (both versions) to be doing the same thing. They wouldn't be advertising that they are going to show them if they didn't want people to see them. It is not a proper thing to do in a publically paid for establishment. Now, if we were talking about the barber shop or something down the street - I wouldn't have a problem with it at all.
Oh cheese-and-rice! They are playing this in a media room, nobody is being forced to do or view anything.
Contactsport1 is offline  
Old 10-15-04, 04:49 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,731
Librarians rule.
CRM114 is offline  
Old 10-15-04, 05:57 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Chrisedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Part of the Left-Wing Conspiracy
Posts: 6,910
No kidding, they had a big waiting list for the movie, those that want to see it, don't have to wait until it's available. Much different than the Sinclar scandal.

I like that they are showing a different point too.
Chrisedge is offline  
Old 10-15-04, 06:28 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Land of the Lobstrosities
Posts: 10,300
believed by some to be anti-Bush
I love media-speak.
wmansir is offline  
Old 10-15-04, 06:43 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Just north of Atlanta
Posts: 5,215
Originally posted by CRM114
Librarians rule.
Some do.
johnglass is offline  
Old 10-15-04, 08:19 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
RoboDad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: A far green country
Posts: 5,960
Originally posted by wmansir
I love media-speak.
Well, let's be fair. It probably isn't believed by all to be anti-Bush. I suspect the "some" they are referring to are those people who are still breathing.
RoboDad is offline  
Old 10-15-04, 10:14 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Jam Master Jay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,816
Hey, what's Fahrenhype? I don't even think I've heard of it before. But judging from the title it's a Anti-Michael Moore movie?


This is sort of similar to the topic, Michael Moore's pay-per-view event planned for Election day has been cancelled.

Moore's Pre-Election TV Special Nixed

2 hours, 54 minutes ago

By DAVID BAUDER, AP Television Writer

NEW YORK - The cable pay-per-view company iN DEMAND has backed away from a plan to show a three-hour election eve special with filmmaker Michael Moore that included the first television showing of his documentary "Fahrenheit 9/11."



The company said Friday it would not air "The Michael Moore Pre-Election Special" due to "legitimate business and legal concerns." A spokesman would not elaborate.


Moore has just released his movie on DVD and was seeking a TV outlet for the film, which sharply criticizes President Bush (news - web sites), as close to the election as possible.


Earlier this week, trade publications said Moore was close to a deal with iN DEMAND for the special, which would also include interviews with politically-active celebrities and admonitions to vote. The Nov. 1 special was to be available for $9.95.


Moore was not immediately available for comment, a spokeswoman said.


The New York-based iN DEMAND, owned by the Time Warner, Cox and Comcast cable companies, makes pay-per-view programming available in 28 million homes, or about one-quarter of the nation's homes with television.


In a statement, iNDEMAND said "we regret that our decision has led Michael Moore to consider legal action against us," which it said would be "entirely baseless and groundless." The company did not say what legal action Moore was considering.


This spring, Moore did battle with the Walt Disney Co., which refused to release "Fahrenheit 9/11" through its Miramax Films because it was too politically partisan for the company's taste.


After that fight became public, Moore found other distributors. The movie, which attacks Bush's handling of the war on terrorists and war in Iraq (news - web sites) and the Bush family's ties to Saudi royalty, earned more than $100 million at the box office.


In an interview with a Maine television station that aired this week, former President George H.W. Bush called Moore a "slimeball" and an expletive.
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...election_moore
Jam Master Jay is offline  
Old 10-16-04, 09:50 AM
  #14  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Lake Ridge, VA
Posts: 6,288
Originally posted by Jam Master Jay
This is sort of similar to the topic, Michael Moore's pay-per-view event planned for Election day has been cancelled.
A little longer piece on the issue:

Moore's "9/11" Not In Demand

By Charlie Amter

Michael Moore's probably reaching his boiling point about now.

The nation's leading cable pay-per-view company, iN DEMAND, announced Friday it is nixing plans to air Moore's controversial doc Fahrenheit 9/11 on Nov. 1, the night before the presidential election.

An iN DEMAND spokesperson said in a statement, "We regret that our decision has led Michael Moore to consider legal action against us."

It is not clear exactly what legal action Moore plans to take. But the company's actions have apparently angered Moore, who hastily arranged a press conference after his Tonight Show with Jay Leno taping Friday.

Moore told the Associated Press late Friday he believes iN DEMAND decided not to air the film because of pressure from "top Republican people."

"Apparently people have put pressure on them and they've broken a contract," Moore said. "We've informed them of their legal responsibility and we all informed them that every corporate executive that has attempted to prohibit Americans from seeing this film has failed," the filmaker continued. "There's been one struggle or another over this, but we've always come out on top because you can't tell Americans they can't watch this."

The pay-per-view broadcaster had been planning to air a three-hour election eve special with the filmmaker, which included the first television showing of his incendiary documentary, for $9.95.

No word yet from iN DEMAND on their side of why they are not honoring their commitment to air the doc, but the Time Warner-owned company might indeed be feeling the political heat from conservatives crying foul.

Earlier this week, conservative broadcasting company Sinclair Broadcasting announced it was planning to air Stolen Honor, an anti-Kerry documentary created by the same team behind the discredited "Swift Boat Veterans for Truth" ads. Some Democrats have complained, saying that the airing of the anti-Kerry doc would violate electioneering laws. The FCC announced Thursday that the agency would stay out of the fray. The Democrats in turn lodged a complaint with the Federal Election Commission and demanded equal time for Kerry ads from any Sinclair station that airs Stolen Honor.

Moore offered to give Fahrenheit 9/11 to Sinclair for free Friday as an "equal time" choice, but few believe the conservative broadcaster would dare air Moore's film.

Although iN DEMAND is not subject to the FCC's jurisdiction as a privately owned pay-per-view cable channel, Time Warner may have feared some political backlash.

This is not the first time Moore has had trouble with corporate entities seeking to distribute his films.

Earlier this year, Moore went toe-to-toe with Disney for refusing to release Fahrenheit 9/11.

Soon after the Disney dust-up went public, Moore found alternative distribution for the film, which went on to become the most successful doc in history and one of the year's biggest successes. Fahrenheit 9/11 has raked in more than $217 million worldwide and was the ninth-biggest hit of the summer.

Fahrenheit 9/11 moved 1.36 million copies on DVD in its first week in stores last week, generating nearly $5 million in sales and another $5.5 million in rentals, both records for a documentary film.
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...en_tv_eo/15157

Of note, the FCC will permit Sinclair to air the anti-Kerry film.
SunMonkey is offline  
Old 10-16-04, 01:04 PM
  #15  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Democratik People's Republik of Kalifornia
Posts: 22,995
How can you compare a "public entity", in this case a library, with privately owned TV stations?
Myster X is offline  
Old 10-17-04, 10:43 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 4,085
Doesn't the library need permission from the studio in order to publicly show the movie?
silentbob007 is offline  
Old 10-17-04, 10:48 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Lake Ridge, VA
Posts: 6,288
Originally posted by Myster X
How can you compare a "public entity", in this case a library, with privately owned TV stations?
I wasn't.
SunMonkey is offline  
Old 10-17-04, 10:52 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk God
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 86,201
Doesn't bother me in the least, personally.

Moore offered to give Fahrenheit 9/11 to Sinclair for free Friday as an "equal time" choice, but few believe the conservative broadcaster would dare air Moore's film.
At least Moore has come out about that fact that his tripe is political garbage that would qualify as "equal time"

No doubt his followers will excuse this since they know it is unbiased.
kvrdave is offline  
Old 10-18-04, 03:47 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Ocoee, Fl
Posts: 405
i'm sure this is the same guy that would fight for the ten c's to be put on the front steps of the library....
LuisL is offline  
Old 10-18-04, 08:44 AM
  #20  
DVD Talk Legend
 
kenbuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 20,964
Originally posted by Chrisedge
No kidding, they had a big waiting list for the movie, those that want to see it, don't have to wait until it's available. Much different than the Sinclar scandal.

I like that they are showing a different point too.
First, just because there's a long waiting list at this Library does not mean that folks have to wait to see it. It can be rented from any Blockbuster or Hollywood Video store, just about any mom & pop store, and it can be purchased outright from many other outlets.

Second, if the Library has chosen to put on a screening of an alleged high-demand video, that's fine.... do it after the election, particularly since the Library it itself a polling place.

Third, the fact that they're planning to show Fahrenhype 9/11 proves to me that they understand the political motivations behind Moore's work and that airing it alone would be unfair. Well, if showing it requires a rebuttal video to maintain objectivitity, that in and of itself should be reason enough to can it until after the election.

I know many Librarians, and most of them are smarter than this.
kenbuzz is offline  
Old 10-18-04, 11:11 AM
  #21  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: In a land far, far away.
Posts: 966
Originally posted by kenbuzz
First, just because there's a long waiting list at this Library does not mean that folks have to wait to see it. It can be rented from any Blockbuster or Hollywood Video store, just about any mom & pop store, and it can be purchased outright from many other outlets.

Second, if the Library has chosen to put on a screening of an alleged high-demand video, that's fine.... do it after the election, particularly since the Library it itself a polling place.

Third, the fact that they're planning to show Fahrenhype 9/11 proves to me that they understand the political motivations behind Moore's work and that airing it alone would be unfair. Well, if showing it requires a rebuttal video to maintain objectivitity, that in and of itself should be reason enough to can it until after the election.

I know many Librarians, and most of them are smarter than this.

Yeah. Let's censor it until after the election, when either of these opinions will be renedered irrelevant history.
Contactsport1 is offline  
Old 10-18-04, 11:14 AM
  #22  
DVD Talk Ruler
 
General Zod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Posts: 21,435
Originally posted by Contactsport1
Yeah. Let's censor it until after the election, when either of these opinions will be renedered irrelevant history.
I've come to the healthy conclusion in this thread that you've got no idea what censorship is, and especially why it is not applicable.
General Zod is offline  
Old 10-18-04, 11:52 AM
  #23  
DVD Talk Legend
 
kenbuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 20,964
Originally posted by Contactsport1
Yeah. Let's censor it until after the election, when either of these opinions will be renedered irrelevant history.
:: sigh :: (I wish there was a cool animated smiley for this)

So any form of "free speech" is permitted else you'd label it censorship? States prohibit "electioneering" within a specified distance (typically 100 feet) of the polling place. Campaigners are not permitted to hand out political literature or attempt to influence voters in any way within that distance. It's not a matter of censorship or free speech, it's about allowing voters to cast their ballots in an unencumbered, uninfluenced manner and without political interference or active campaigning at the polling place. There's a huge difference between "censorship" and following proper election day procedures.

As an aside: Moore's self-stated purpose behing making F9/11 was to campaign to oust Bush from office, thus from an electioneering perspective, his movie is no different than a political sign or flyer, and would be subject to the same prohibitions. It's not censorship, it's about protecting the rights of the voter and the integrity of the voting process.

The issue is not censorship. If the movie were being censored, people would not be able to rent/borrow/buy a copy. The real question is whether or not it is appropriate for the video to be displayed by a Library (that also happens to be a Polling place) prior to election day. This type of material should be "pull", not "push". If you want to see it, you are free to rent/borrow/buy a copy if you wish, but it should not be "pushed" as the Library is apparently planning to do. By taking this tact, the Library is de-facto choosing a side in the ongoing political debate, IMO.

BTW, if a private citizen wanted to borrow/rent a room at the Library (if such are available) for a screening of F9/11, I wouldn't have a problem with that. He could invite anyone currently on the waiting list if he wants. My issue is with the Library sponsoring the showing and taking it upon themselves to display it. Do they do this for all of the movies in their catalog for which there's a waiting list, or just those that happen to be in line with the political leanings of members of the Library staff?

Last edited by kenbuzz; 10-18-04 at 11:57 AM.
kenbuzz is offline  
Old 10-18-04, 12:05 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Legend
 
kenbuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 20,964
^ Meh, not as eloquent as I would've liked. I kneel before Zod... he said it better.
kenbuzz is offline  
Old 10-18-04, 12:12 PM
  #25  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: In a land far, far away.
Posts: 966
Originally posted by kenbuzz
:: sigh :: (I wish there was a cool animated smiley for this)

So any form of "free speech" is permitted else you'd label it censorship? States prohibit "electioneering" within a specified distance (typically 100 feet) of the polling place. Campaigners are not permitted to hand out political literature or attempt to influence voters in any way within that distance. It's not a matter of censorship or free speech, it's about allowing voters to cast their ballots in an unencumbered, uninfluenced manner and without political interference or active campaigning at the polling place. There's a huge difference between "censorship" and following proper election day procedures.

As an aside: Moore's self-stated purpose behing making F9/11 was to campaign to oust Bush from office, thus from an electioneering perspective, his movie is no different than a political sign or flyer, and would be subject to the same prohibitions. It's not censorship, it's about protecting the rights of the voter and the integrity of the voting process.

The issue is not censorship. If the movie were being censored, people would not be able to rent/borrow/buy a copy. The real question is whether or not it is appropriate for the video to be displayed by a Library (that also happens to be a Polling place) prior to election day. This type of material should be "pull", not "push". If you want to see it, you are free to rent/borrow/buy a copy if you wish, but it should not be "pushed" as the Library is apparently planning to do. By taking this tact, the Library is de-facto choosing a side in the ongoing political debate, IMO.

BTW, if a private citizen wanted to borrow/rent a room at the Library (if such are available) for a screening of F9/11, I wouldn't have a problem with that. He could invite anyone currently on the waiting list if he wants. My issue is with the Library sponsoring the showing and taking it upon themselves to display it. Do they do this for all of the movies in their catalog for which there's a waiting list, or just those that happen to be in line with the political leanings of members of the Library staff?

They are showing competing views, so they're not choosing a side. Read the article
They are not showing it on election day, so they're not encumbering voters. Read the article
They are showing it in a media room, therefore you're not forced to view it. Read the article.

Show me where the foul is.
Contactsport1 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.