Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Bush Is Winning - Kerry is Losing - Nader is Gaining

Old 10-15-04, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Bush Is Winning

http://powerlineblog.com/archives/008194.php

October 15, 2004

Bush Is Winning

How do we know that? One, John Kerry is pulling out all the stops. Of all of the contemptible tricks the Dems have pulled in this election cycle, few are as despicable as their effort to convince young voters that President Bush has a secret plan to reinstate the draft. Never mind that the President has no such power; that the military views the idea of a draft with horror; or that not a single Republican in Congress (and only a handful of Democrats) voted for the draft in a recent vote. Any scare tactic will do, as far as the Democrats are concerned.

Until now, the Kerry campaign has left spreading draft rumors to its minions on college campuses and the tinfoil-hat fringe. Today, for the first time, Kerry himself made the draft rumor an explicit part of his campaign:
There is a "great potential of a draft" to replenish U.S. forces in Iraq if President Bush wins a second term, Democratic challenger John Kerry said on a campaign stop in Iowa.

Bush said in the second presidential debate that there would be no revival of the military draft under any circumstances if he is re-elected. "We're not going to have a draft, period," the president said.

However, Kerry told The Des Moines Register, "With George Bush, the plan for Iraq is more of the same and the great potential of a draft." The interview was published Friday as Kerry was leaving for Wisconsin and a speech on the economy.
Kerry's embrace of the draft hoax can only be a sign of desperation.

Second, we have often pointed out that the most reliable polls are the ones done by the campaigns, and the best way to infer what the campaigns' polls say is by watching the candidates. Yesterday, President Bush was in blue state Oregon, and today he is in blue states Iowa and Wisconsin. Kerry, meanwhile, is spending the entire day in Wisconsin. The fact that Bush is going after Kerry's states, while Kerry is spending his time shoring up states that he must have in his column in order to have a chance, rather than attacking in Bush's 2000 states, means that Bush is leading in both parties' polls.

Posted by Hindrocket at 02:10 PM | TrackBack (0)
Old 10-15-04, 04:15 PM
Banned

I thought we already had a draft thread.
Old 10-15-04, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk God

I do know that the draft thing is real (THE RUMOR). My wife's brother is at WSU and they have people trying to convince people of it.

It tells me thatthose that hate Bush are very desperate. And they tend to be greenies. So they suck, anyway.
Old 10-15-04, 04:17 PM

PowerLine Blog
Old 10-15-04, 04:19 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Captain Pike
I thought we already had a draft thread.
This is actually another thread to utilize natesfortune's reasearch "draftees". So it is about a different kind of draftee. I hear "draftees" are paid in .
Old 10-15-04, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Today, for the first time, Kerry himself made the draft rumor an explicit part of his campaign:
Kerry has been saying the same lies about Bush and the draft for awhile. What makes 'today' different?

Also, I want Bush to win too, but could we cut down on the blog threads?
Old 10-15-04, 04:20 PM
Banned

What would Kerry do for a Klondike bar?
Old 10-15-04, 04:26 PM

This is not just a "draft" thread.

That's only part of it.

The other part is the very telling indicator of where the campaigns are sending their candidates - if you look at the schedules, the Kerry campaign is spending most of its time in "Blue States" and the Bush campaign is spending most of its time in "Blue States" as well. This indicates where the campaigns think the race is, as Kerry is forced to play defense and Bush feels he can play more offense.

Also, while Kerry surrogates have mentioned the draft, he has not been so explicit until now - a kick up in the desperation meter when the actual candidate feels he has to fall back on Deaniac conspiracy theories with no basis in fact.
Old 10-15-04, 04:28 PM
Banned

Originally posted by natesfortune
This is not just a "draft" thread.

That's only part of it.
Yeah, and the other part is an opportunity to put a thread on the front page that says Bush is winning.
Old 10-15-04, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, and the other part is an opportunity to put a thread on the front page that says Bush is winning.
Bingo!
Old 10-15-04, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Good point.. someone change the thread title to "Kerry is losing"
Old 10-15-04, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hmm. Kerry says Bush "could" reinstate the draft - a pragmatic assertion. Bush/Cheney say the terrorists will strike IF Kerry is elected.
Old 10-15-04, 04:43 PM
Banned

I think Nader is gaining sounds better.
Old 10-15-04, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 10-15-04, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by General Zod
Good point.. someone change the thread title to "Kerry is losing"

Old 10-15-04, 04:50 PM
Admin-Thanos

Well, that's why I'm voting for Kerry, because that mean old Bush is going to reinstate the draft!

It's not scare tactics...It's TRUE!

Old 10-15-04, 05:00 PM

Originally posted by CRM114
Hmm. Kerry says Bush "could" reinstate the draft - a pragmatic assertion. Bush/Cheney say the terrorists will strike IF Kerry is elected.
Nobody actually said this.

Even Chris Matthews had to admit that wasn't what Cheney was saying when the quote was taken in context.

But Kerry and the Democrats ARE trying to scare people about the draft.
Old 10-15-04, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Cheney:

"It's absolutely essential that eight weeks from today, on Nov. 2, we make the right choice, because if we make the wrong choice then the danger is that we'll get hit again and we'll be hit in a way that will be devastating from the standpoint of the United States"
which clearly translates into:

"It's absolutely essential that eight weeks from today, on Nov. 2, we [vote Bush/Cheney], because if we [vote Kerry/Edwards] then the danger is that we'll get hit again and we'll be hit in a way that will be devastating from the standpoint of the United States [but we will not if Bush/Cheney is elected.]"
Old 10-15-04, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Gee, that article didn't sound biased or anything.
Old 10-15-04, 05:12 PM
Banned

Originally posted by CRM114
Exactly. I love how the Bush supporters like to accuse Democrats of scare tactics. When you point a finger there are three more pointing back at you.
Old 10-15-04, 05:15 PM

SHOW: The Chris Matthews Show Various Times NBC

September 12, 2004 Sunday

MATTHEWS: Let's take a look at how Kerry's handling or not handling this question. He looks indecisive on Iraq; he also has a problem with reliability. The question started, as we know, as Cokie said, over Vietnam and over his anti-war activities after coming home. And this week, the vice president carried that attack on his unreliability even further.

Vice President DICK CHENEY: It is absolutely essential that eight weeks from today, on November 2nd, we make the right choice. Because if we make the wrong choice, then the danger is that--that we'll get hit again, that we'll be hit in a way that will be devastating from the standpoint of the United States and it will fall back into the--the pre-9/11 mind-set, if you will, that in fact these terrorist attacks are just criminal acts and that we are not really at war.

MATTHEWS: When I first heard that, I thought he was saying if Kerry wins, we're going to get attacked. I looked at it again today, this morning, and I said, `Wait a minute. What he's really saying, if you listen carefully, is we'll get attacked again. Anybody can get attacked again, that danger is there, and these people will react in the old time way of saying we've got some criminals out there we got to catch, not recognizing this movement of war against us.
Chris Matthews worked for Cuomo as a top aide and he's a Democrat partisan.

You see, you conveniently cut off the quote at "from the standpoint of the United States" - but that's mid-sentence - you didn't even cut it off at a comma! The rest of the sentence was Cheney's actual point, "that we'll fall back into the pre-911 mind-set, if you will, that in fact these terrorist attacks are just criminal acts and that we are not really at war."

Cheney was attacking Kerry's "law enforcement" 9/10 Terrorism approach, not proclaiming it would result in another attack. He's saying that we will get attacked again no matter what, just like Matthews says - and he doesn't only say that here, but he and the President say all the time "it's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when", admitting that a terrorist attack is inevitable no matter who is President.

That's hardly in keeping with a campaign trying to just say that attacks will come if you elect the other guy, isn't it?
Old 10-15-04, 05:15 PM

Originally posted by ESUguy
Gee, that article didn't sound biased or anything.
It's not an article.

It's from a weblog - somebody's opinion. Not a "news story".
Old 10-15-04, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Exactly. I love how the Bush supporters like to accuse Democrats of scare tactics. When you point a finger there are three more pointing back at you.
And if you don't believe me, I'll take away social security.....and old people will not be able to afford perscriptions....and children will die from dirty water.

Old 10-15-04, 05:20 PM
Banned

Originally posted by natesfortune
Chris Matthews worked for Cuomo as a top aide and he's a Democrat partisan.
Matthews is a slave to the ratings. His implied position on various topics blows with the wind. One day he spews the DNC talking points, the next he does the same with the RNC talking points. He's an entertainer, not a serious pundit.
Old 10-15-04, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Both parties use scare tactics and have used basically the same ones for as long as I can remember.

The Democrats use Social Security & Medicare as a scare tactic against the Republicans.

The Republics consistently pound home to the voter how the Democrats are soft on national defense.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.