Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The News: Is it "spinning" out of control??

Old 10-15-04, 11:59 AM

The News: Is it "spinning" out of control??

There has been something thats been on my mind for awhile and I wanted to get your input on it. We all know that ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox and CNN leave incredibe valuable information out of their pieces and spin their stories to sway favor. News organizations are now having commentary from the left and the right and has become increasingly biased and distorted. In the long run I think this will be their undoing and in the future you will have less faith in what you hear presented. I truly believe because of this election and the fallout form CBS's debacle because of Dan Rather, that we are on the road to true paranoia and ruin. Do you think the major news organizations will eventually lose credibility to a point that they will never be trusted again?

Last edited by kahuna415; 10-15-04 at 12:04 PM.
Old 10-15-04, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The News: Is it "spinning" out of control??

Originally posted by kahuna415
Do you think the major news orgonizations will eventually lose credibility to a point that they will never be trusted again?
No.
Old 10-15-04, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The "news" networks aren't concerned with the news. They're only concerned with ratings. You can't get an unbiased news story from any of them.
Old 10-15-04, 12:05 PM

Re: Re: The News: Is it "spinning" out of control??

Originally posted by Thor Simpson
No.
Can you expand upon this? I would really like to hear what you think about it.
Old 10-15-04, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

expound
Old 10-15-04, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There will always be bias. That's why they are called news organizations and not facts or truth organizations.
Old 10-15-04, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Iron Chef
The "news" networks aren't concerned with the news. They're only concerned with ratings. You can't get an unbiased news story from any of them.
Old 10-15-04, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Iron Chef
I'd say some of PBS' news programs are unbiased. The Newshour with Jim Lehrer comes to mind.
Old 10-15-04, 12:16 PM

Ratings and credibility can go hand in hand, but to what point do you go over the edge and not look back? Rather took something that was inaccurate and false and ran with it like it was the Holy Grail! He wasn't fired. CBS backpedalled and my faith was thrown out the window. How can someone like this still be working?? I am completely disgusted with all of this. My faith is fleeting.