Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

ABC News pulls a Helperin on Arnold

Old 10-15-04, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

ABC News pulls a Helperin on Arnold

For the "Oh, THAT liberal media" file:

ABC News: Noted

by Armed Liberal at October 15, 2004 03:52 AM

So this is what Mark Helperin means when he says:

"...as one of the few news organizations with the skill and strength to help voters evaluate what the candidates are saying to serve the public interest. Now is the time for all of us to step up and do that right."

Over on ABC's 'Noted Now' website, a quote from my own Governator:

SCHWARZENEGGER SAYS BOTH BUSH AND KERRY EVASIVE IN DEBATES: "Both of them did not answer some of the questions, which I think is upsetting to me. I think it is much better to be straightforward with the people.... You know like Kerry did. Bush did the same thing in some instances, not really get into it and answer it."

So I click along to the linked Reuters story and get this (the deleted words are in bold):

"Both of them did not answer some of the questions, which I think is upsetting to me," Schwarzenegger told KGO radio in San Francisco. "I think it is much better to be straightforward with the people."

"I mean if you get a question about Iran and about the nuclear power and what you are going to do in the future with this nuclear power, and you don't even answer that question, I think it's a mistake, You know like Kerry did," he continued. "Bush did the same thing in some instances, not really get into it and answer it."

Yuppers, skill and strength, alright.
http://windsofchange.net/archives/005724.php

Not earth-shattering. Just interesting to see how outright partisan the media is getting in the final days of this campaign.
Old 10-15-04, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What will you post about after your boy loses the election?

What are your hobbies?
Do you have any interests?
Old 10-15-04, 01:00 AM
Banned

It is late and I'm tired as hell... I just don't see what your talking about. He stated that both were a little evasive on answering certain questions, which I happen to agree with. Is my independent status blinding my ability to find some fault here?
Old 10-15-04, 01:05 AM

Originally posted by Tsar Chasm

What are your hobbies?

If you'll notice, I haven't posted here nearly as much as I used to for the past couple of weeks. I'm editing a feature film, and simply don't have the time, though I do like to come in here once in awhile on breaks and blow off some steam.

Or at least I like it most of the time...
Old 10-15-04, 01:09 AM

Originally posted by Contactsport1
It is late and I'm tired as hell... I just don't see what your talking about. He stated that both were a little evasive on answering certain questions, which I happen to agree with. Is my independent status blinding my ability to find some fault here?
Here's what ABC reported to the people as Arnold's quote:

"Both of them did not answer some of the questions, which I think is upsetting to me. I think it is much better to be straightforward with the people.... You know like Kerry did."

They make it sound like Arnold was saying that Kerry was more often "straightforward with the people. "I think it is much better to be straightforward with the people.... You know like Kerry did."

Here's what he actually said:

"I mean if you get a question about Iran and about the nuclear power and what you are going to do in the future with this nuclear power, and you don't even answer that question, I think it's a mistake, You know like Kerry did," he continued."

So he wasn't calling Kerry more "straightforward" at all, the "You know like Kerry did" was referencing a NEGATIVE comment Schwarzenneger made about Kerry, but they cut the negative comment out and pasted it together as if Arnold was praising Kerry for being "straightforward".

I don't think "independent status" should make one unable to detect the bias and misleading there.
Old 10-15-04, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk God

What are your hobbies?
Holy SHIT!!!! The one reason I hope Kerry wins is that I can turn into a whiney bitch for the next 4 years and let liberals defend him for awhile.

The main reason I want Bush is because I have never seen liberals so crazed and invested that I absolutely NEED to see them the day after Bush wins. Because I honestly believe they just don't understand why everyone is so dumb but them.
Old 10-15-04, 01:16 AM

Originally posted by kvrdave
Holy SHIT!!!! The one reason I hope Kerry wins is that I can turn into a whiney bitch for the next 4 years and let liberals defend him for awhile.

The main reason I want Bush is because I have never seen liberals so crazed and invested that I absolutely NEED to see them the day after Bush wins. Because I honestly believe they just don't understand why everyone is so dumb but them.
Nov 3rd will DEFINATELY be interesting, one way or the other.

birrman54
Old 10-15-04, 01:23 AM
Banned

Originally posted by natesfortune
I don't think "independent status" should make one unable to detect the bias and misleading there.
I went to the site. The headline you posted is accurate which states both were evasive. The snipit is mildly misleading, but if you know Ah nold, then you know he don't speak to well, and it isn't a shock that doesn't make a lot of sense. They have a link with the whole article and the entire statement. I think you're getting a bit worked up over nothing here.

Paranoia will destroya.
Old 10-15-04, 06:31 AM

Nov 3rd will DEFINATELY be interesting, one way or the other.
Don't you mean Jan 3rd
Old 10-15-04, 06:33 AM

Paranoia will destroya.
I'm not paranoid... I'm just extremely alert
Old 10-15-04, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yes, it's almost a win-win situation for those voting for Bush.
Old 10-15-04, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Add "Michael Moore's face" into paragraph two and each paragraph works for me too.
Old 10-15-04, 09:27 AM
Banned

Originally posted by nemein
You've taken your meds today right?
Old 10-15-04, 10:03 AM

You've taken your meds today right?
Classic timing... I was just bitching in another thread how people in the US are overmedicated
Old 10-15-04, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

I normally vote libertarian, but i'm voting for Bush this election for this very reason. Every desperate lawsuit, voter fraud, comparison to hitler, michael moore movie, and big deal made everytime he mis-speaks something just strengthens my resolve.

Plus I think he'd the better candidate of the two
Old 10-15-04, 10:30 AM

I normally vote libertarian, but i'm voting for Bush this election for this very reason. Every desperate lawsuit, voter fraud, comparison to hitler, michael moore movie, and big deal made everytime he mis-speaks something just strengthens my resolve.
I'm also changing my mind about this election and may break the trend by voting for one of the two major parties instead of an independant. In part because of what you guys are talking about but also in part because the more I hear Kerry and all his "plans" the more he creeps me out. I used to think it didn't really matter which of the two of them got in but now I think Kerry really is the wrong choice for the US at this point.
Old 10-15-04, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What are your hobbies?
I think he's into bicycling (aka spinning) Zing!
Old 10-15-04, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by nemein
Is the nemein level orange today or just yellow?
Old 10-15-04, 11:40 AM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Halperin's father is none other than Morton H. Halperin, head of George Soros' Open Society Policy Center.

http://www.washtimes.com/national/inpolitics.htm