Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

More from the "Proud to be a Republican?" files

Old 10-14-04, 03:41 PM
Premium Member

More from the "Proud to be a Republican?" files

Oregon Opens Probe of Voter Fraud Charges

PORTLAND, Ore. - Oregon officials have opened an investigation into alleged improper voter registration practices, Secretary of State Bill Bradbury said Wednesday.

The investigation follows a television report in which a paid-per-registration canvasser said he had been instructed only to accept registrations from Republicans, and that he "might" destroy those from Democrats.

It was not immediately clear what group employed the canvasser.

Bradbury said the investigation would be based not only on the KGW-TV report, but also on other complaints that have not yet been made public.

In Roseburg, Douglas County Clerk Barbara Nielsen said she had received a complaint from voters who said canvassers working for a Chandler, Ariz.-based consulting firm, Sproul & Associates, tried to push them into registering as Republicans, saying otherwise the canvassers wouldn't get paid for their efforts.

Additionally, Nielsen said she had gotten calls from voters who said canvassers from the same group had implied that their cards wouldn't be turned in if they registered as Democrats.

Sproul & Associates is run by Nathan Sproul, a former head of the Republican Party in Arizona who has subcontracted with the Republican National Committee (news - web sites) to do voter outreach.

Reached in Arizona, Sproul told The Associated Press that "we registered anyone who wanted to register."

A spokesman for the Republican National Committee said the party has "a zero-tolerance policy for anything that smacks of impropriety in registering voters."

Similar voting fraud allegations surfaced against Sproul & Associates in Nevada, where authorities said Wednesday that they were "looking into whether any state or federal laws were violated."

In Nevada, a former employee of a Sproul & Associates group called Voter Outreach of America told reporters Wednesday that he had seen his boss shred eight to 10 Democratic registration forms.

Sproul denied any shredding occurred.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...pr/voter_fraud
Old 10-14-04, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

good stuff
Old 10-14-04, 03:45 PM
Premium Member

Also this is from Yahoo's front page not some leftwing site.

But let me point out that I am sure this is happening on both sides with these paid for registration drives. I bet both have no interest in signing people from the other side.
Old 10-14-04, 03:46 PM

Originally posted by dick_grayson
good stuff
No matter which side is doing it IMHO that's the wrong reaction. Anyone committing or helping to commit voter fraud should be punished.
Old 10-14-04, 03:47 PM

Originally posted by bfrank
Also this is from Yahoo's front page not some leftwing site.
You really want this to be another media bias thread don't you
Old 10-14-04, 03:48 PM
Premium Member

just trying to make a point about balance

I am done now
Old 10-14-04, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by nemein
No matter which side is doing it IMHO that's the wrong reaction. Anyone committing or helping to commit voter fraud should be punished.
it was to the creation of the thread. my reaction was valid. thanks for your input
Old 10-14-04, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought only Democrats did this? That's what <b>natesfortune</b> told me. He lied to me!

- David Stein
Old 10-14-04, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

http://billhobbs.com/hobbsonline/cat_voter_fraud.html
I am sorry I was quoting you and editted by mistake!!

I cant get your post back

So Sorry!!!

BFRANK

Last edited by bfrank; 10-14-04 at 04:23 PM.
Old 10-14-04, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The CNN version at least gives the company an opportunity to respond whether or not you believe them. Guess we'll see what the investigation produces. Are you equally supportive of investigation when Democrats are accused?
http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/...ion/index.html
Nevada investigates voter registration
Probe also under way in Oregon on fraud allegations
Thursday, October 14, 2004 Posted: 3:19 PM EDT (1919 GMT)

(CNN) -- Nevada election officials have launched an investigation into allegations that a Republican-led voter registration drive improperly disposed of forms it collected from potential Democratic voters.

Secretary of State Dean Heller said Wednesday that his office was reviewing the allegations, first raised Tuesday in a report by CNN affiliate KLAS-TV in Las Vegas.

"We are researching state and federal law to determine what violations may have occurred," Heller said in a statement. "If, in fact, the allegations are true and federal law has been broken, all efforts will be made to prosecute the individuals and/or the organization responsible."

The probe centers around a private voter registration firm, Voter Outreach of America, which collected registrations from voters in Nevada, a pivotal presidential battleground state. The company was set up by Sproul & Associates Inc., a Republican political consulting firm based in Phoenix, Arizona.

Under Nevada law, private canvassing efforts -- even those run by partisan groups -- must turn in all voter registration forms they collect, regardless of the party affiliation of those registering.

In the KLAS report, a former employee of Voter Outreach, Eric Russell, alleged that he saw a supervisor destroy forms collected from Democratic voters.

KLAS quoted Russell as saying that "we caught her taking Democrats out of my pile, handed them to her assistant, and he ripped them up right in front of us." CNN could not reach Russell for comment.

Heller said that if true, such actions "would be an incredible injustice to people who believe they have registered, only to find out later that their form was tossed away."

But Nathan Sproul, head of Sproul & Associates, disputed the allegations, saying that his company has a "zero tolerance" policy for such conduct and describing Russell as a "disgruntled former employee" who was fired a week ago.

Sproul provided sworn statements from two supervisors who said they turned in all of the collected forms and that none were "discarded, destroyed, tampered with."

However, Sproul, whose firm received nearly $500,000 this election cycle from the Republican Party, said that "it is safe to say we were trying to register Republicans."

In a statement, the Republican National Committee said, "Anyone who engages in fraudulent voter registration activities should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law."

The secretary of state advised Nevada voters to call local election officials to confirm their registration before Election Day. Tuesday was the deadline to register.

Jon Summer, a spokesman for the Nevada Democratic State Committee, said the party would file a lawsuit seeking to reopen the registration process for voters whose forms might have been destroyed.

"We don't really know how many victims there are in this case," he said.

A spokesman for Heller, Steve George, said the number of new voters added to Nevada rolls since the 2002 election will be between 200,000 to 350,000.

Nevada's population grew 3.4. percent in the past two years, making it the fast-growing state in the nation, according to the U.S. Census Bureau. President Bush won the state in 2000 by about 22,000 votes.

Voter Outreach of America is also under investigation in Oregon for "alteration and destruction of voter registration cards," said Anne Martens, a spokeswoman for Oregon Secretary of State Bill Bradbury.

She said her office had received numerous complaints since CNN affiliate KGW in Portland broadcast a report spotlighting an out-of-state canvasser who was registering only Republicans.

"That's how I get paid, and I am doing it for the money," said the canvasser, whom KGW identified as Mike Johnson. He said he received $5 per card. The TV report aired Tuesday -- the registration deadline in Oregon.

"We didn't know this was going on until that happened," Martens said. "We're launching a full investigation."
Old 10-14-04, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
It's a shame that he had to give out 40s and cigarettes only to throw away registrations.
Old 10-14-04, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by natesfortune
Bfrank, I really don't think you want to play this game.

Play ball!
Old 10-14-04, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This thread is a complete non-issue. All I see is a bunch of wild, unsubstantiated allegations from an obviously biased source. And even if it were true -- which it's not -- the other side is TEN TIMES WORSE.

Now excuse me while I go read bfrank's original post.
Old 10-14-04, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by OldDude
Play ball!
Right now it's Republicans 1 for voter fraud, Dems too many to count.

Please, post everything you can find on Republican voter fraud and let's lay it all out on the line. I was composing a new thread about this for the Democrats but my post was getting so long I just decided to post this roundup instead.

There are more registered voters in one Ohio county than there are people in the county!

And these are nationwide Dem cheat campaigns, such as with ACORN. So far, you have pointed out no Republican counterpart.

Republicans are not angels by any stretch, but they also have not and have never been as good at voter fraud as the Democrats, the party of dead people(and yes, they've started to catch Democrat dead people registering yet again in Ohio - it's in the roundup).

It's Republicans who want IDs at polling places to stop voter fraud. It's Democrats who fight vehemently agains this and sue wherever that's required, because they say it "disenfranches minorities", which is completely absurd. They actually oppose it because it makes it much harder for the party of Daley's Chicago to cheat.
Old 10-14-04, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by natesfortune
Nice website. Interesting to note that it has four book advertisements on that page:
<UL><LI>Ann Coulter's latest howler-monkey crapfest
<LI>John O'Neill's "Unfit for Command"
<LI>"Things Worth Fighting For" (a defense of the Iraq war)
<LI>"Black & White World" (a political cartoon book with a cover depicting a chess game between the U.S. and Islam)</UL>
And also a dozen links to Republican party websites.

Hmm, curious. The site is devoted to "voter fraud," but doesn't mention Diebold, or this article about Republican electioneering. I wonder why not? Maybe I should email them - I'm sure they'd be happy to include links to these other voter fraud stories.

Could it be that you shouldn't assume you're getting a full view of the picture? ... Nah, that's an impossibility.

Nice to see where you get your news, anyway. Explains very much.

- David Stein
Old 10-14-04, 04:06 PM
Premium Member

I just got out of your other thread and on Yahoo's front page is this story.

I totally agree with you on ID

edit-

just did a search for "voter fraud" on yahoo news and I think there is not a strong case that the dems are worse. Most stories are about regestrations. But not by either party just that there are fraudulent regestrations.

Mainly it looks like a political fight in Denver, and then the issue in Oregan and this one below in Vegas

Also found this-

All Things Considered, October 13, 2004 A Las Vegas television station reports a voter-registration firm has been tossing out Democrats' registrations and keeping those of Republicans.

On Wednesday, the Republican National Committee admitted that it has had ties to the firm, Voters Outreach of America. Hear NPR's Michele Norris and George Knapp of KLAS TV.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...sourceCode=RSS

Last edited by bfrank; 10-14-04 at 04:15 PM.
Old 10-14-04, 04:17 PM
Banned

Let me see, GOP alleged of fraud, it's on Yahoo's front page.
Dems accused of numerous frauds, with video showing it, and trashing GOP's office, it's on Drudge.
I'm convinced now. Yahoo is fair.
Old 10-14-04, 04:20 PM
Premium Member

Nate - I totally F'ed up.

I was trying to quote your post above with the site link and I accidently hit edit and not quote (mod can edit).

I cant get back your post and I am sorry. Can you remember it and fix it.

SORRY TO EVERYONE IN THIS THREAD!
Old 10-14-04, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My only response to this topic is that anything Bill Bradbury does is automatically suspect. He is in no position to complain about, let alone invstigate, the actions of others in this election season, considering the blatantly illegal (yet curiously uninvestigated) actions he has not just condoned, but committed.

He is such a disgusting criminal that it is mind-boggling that he is still in office, and not in jail. But then, this is Oregon, after all.
Old 10-14-04, 04:21 PM
Premium Member

Originally posted by Myster X
Let me see, GOP alleged of fraud, it's on Yahoo's front page.
Dems accused of numerous frauds, with video showing it, and trashing GOP's office, it's on Drudge.
I'm convinced now. Yahoo is fair.
I think yahoo news is not done by people it is a bot - right?
Old 10-14-04, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by bfrank
I was trying to quote your post above with the site link and I accidently hit edit and not quote (mod can edit).
Aha! It's a conspiracy! He's trying to oppress <b>natesfortune</b> freedom of speech! Ah, now we see the violence inherent in the system! Come and see the violence inherent in the system! Help, help, we're being repressed!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

- David Stein
Old 10-14-04, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by sfsdfd
Aha! It's a conspiracy! He's trying to oppress <b>natesfortune</b> freedom of speech! Ah, now we see the violence inherent in the system! Come and see the violence inherent in the system! Help, help, we're being repressed!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

- David Stein
Ooooh! Ooooh! Mod fight!
Old 10-14-04, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by RoboDad
Ooooh! Ooooh! Mod fight!
yes, but then they get to have the hot, mod make-up sex!
Old 10-14-04, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
help help I'm being oppressed!
Old 10-14-04, 04:43 PM
Premium Member

I am such an IDIOT!!!

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.