Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

More from the "Proud to be a Democrat?" files

Old 10-14-04, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

More from the "Proud to be a Democrat?" files

This is just beyond the pale.

They should get slammed and slammed hard for this. Let's see if the media holds them to the same account they hold Republicans, though I wouldn't hold my breath:

XXXXX DRUDGE REPORT XXXXX THU OCT 14, 2004 10:58:04 ET XXXXX

KERRY/EDWARDS ELECTION DIRECTIVE: CHARGE VOTER INTIMIDATION, EVEN IF NONE EXISTS

**World Exclusive**

The Kerry/Edwards campaign and the Democratic National Committee are advising election operatives to declare voter intimidation -- even if none exists, the DRUDGE REPORT can reveal.

A 66-page mobilization plan to be issued by the Kerry/Edwards campaign and the Democratic National Committee states: "If no signs of intimidation techniques have emerged yet, launch a 'pre-emptive strike.'"

[CLIP OF ELECTION DAY MANUAL, NOVEMBER 2004. .PDF FILE]

MORE
www.drudgereport.com

They are trying to undermine our political process for their electoral gain. They've done this in playing the race card, and they're doing this in this related way. They don't care if our Democracy comes under question and people's confidence in our electoral process is shattered - there's an election on, dammit!

Now let's watch all the liberals defend this, contorting themselves in back-bending spin to avoid the obvious, all the whle we'll be wondering this:

"Can you imagine if this was Bush and Ashcroft that were caught doing this?"

Same as a possible future government official saying 'They better hope we don't win!". The Kerry campaign said that about Sinclair Broadcasting, trying to intimidate them with their possible future government power.

Regardless of what you think of Sinclair's decision, doesn't that raise some hairs? Nobody has seemed to care much, especially on the left.

If John Ashcroft had said something like that, however, the world would've turned upside down in leftist fury and indignation. It would stil be a story.

Where's the consistency?

But I guess they're used to it - they are supporting the campiagn who has sued to stop ads from running on TV, who has tried to get a book they didn't like banned, who has tried to intimidate booksellers to stop carrying the book, who has played the race card to try and divide this country even further for their own electoral gain, and is now trying to undermine confidence in our electoral system when there is nothing backing such charges up.

Again - Bush has never done any of these things, but he's the one compared to the Nazis by many on the left... Go figure.
Old 10-14-04, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Eventually, people stop listening to the boy who calls wolf.
Old 10-14-04, 11:16 AM

Are you talking about Drudge or the Dems
Old 10-14-04, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What the hell is with the clip pdf?

They should post the whole fucking thing, ESPECIALLY after the CBS bullshit.
Old 10-14-04, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by General Zod
The site must be getting hammered as I can't get the page to load,

Anyway, got any proof it isn't a page from the wolf's operating manual?

This liberal notion that automatically whining "conservative source" and not bothering to look at the evidence is getting tiresome. The evidence may or may not be bogus and that is certainly discussable. But you'd hardly expect a pro-Kerry site to break this news, right?

There is bias throughout the media, you have to look at whether they have any principles, at least in the sense of only reporting true things, unlike CBS. Choosing what to report or not report is probably more than we can hope for, which is why need a broad gamut of opinion in the media.
Old 10-14-04, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by OldDude
Anyway, got any proof it isn't a page from the wolf's operating manual?
I think it's impossible to tell. The pdf "clip" is a joke, IMO. That's why I said the whole thing should be posted. If all they have is this "clip" it's a big old waste of time.

edit:

ok he changed it to a jpg with a bit more detail. Still looks like shit, IMO:

Now where the hell is johnglad, our resident typeset expert?

Last edited by nevermind; 10-14-04 at 11:28 AM.
Old 10-14-04, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The evidence may or may not be bogus and that is certainly discussable.
Agreed. In this case, the evidence is... pretty damn sketchy. Scanning one page of an entire manual? What's up with that?

The sentence in question is the first one on the page, and is clearly part of an outline. Yet we don't even have any context, e.g., <i>the page before it.</i> That would've been helpful in evaluating its meaning.

- David Stein
Old 10-14-04, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by nevermind
I think it's impossible to tell. The pdf "clip" is a joke, IMO. That's why I said the whole thing should be posted. If all they have is this "clip" it's a big old waste of time.

edit:

ok he changed it to a jpg with a bit more detail. Still looks like shit, IMO:

Now where the hell is johnglad, our resident typeset expert?
Now that I got the page to load, I agree it is pretty suspicious. That's the only thing the page says. If it had been a whole page of operating principles or all 64 pages were there, it'd be more believable. It certainly could have been faked, and we need better evidence of authenticity (or more poodle)

Drudge usually isn't a great site for the whole story, more for breaking it. The key is whether anyone else picks up on it and does a thorough job.
Old 10-14-04, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by sfsdfd
Agreed. In this case, the evidence is... pretty damn sketchy. Scanning one page of an entire manual? What's up with that?

That's the wierd thing. The first pdf stopped after the parenthesis in #2 (before the bullet point). It looked like a ransom letter, cut up and taped together.

Now they have a whole page up, but I agree the whole thing should be posted.
Old 10-14-04, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The key is whether anyone else picks up on it and does a thorough job.
I propose Dan Rather investigate.
Old 10-14-04, 11:40 AM
Premium Member

What is this about?

I not sure I understand what is wrong here but it seem to say "point out what has happened in the past" in an effort to stop it from happening this time???

Seems fine by me unless I am missing something?
Old 10-14-04, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by sfsdfd

The sentence in question is the first one on the page, and is clearly part of an outline. Yet we don't even have any context, e.g., <i>the page before it.</i> That would've been helpful in evaluating its meaning.

- David Stein
And why would they have a huge Kerry/Edwards banner that takes up over 50% of the page on this page of the pdf? On the first page, that would make sense, but since this is the second bullet of the outline, it's obviously not the first page.
Old 10-14-04, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by bfrank

Seems fine by me unless I am missing something?
Well if it's real, it says they should bring up intimidation even if none exists. Does that seem fine to you?
Old 10-14-04, 11:50 AM
Premium Member

Well if it's real, it says they should bring up intimidation even if none exists. Does that seem fine to you?
I dont see that?

It says if none exists point out what happen last time ( "happened in the past") in states that had problems.

I am I reading that wrong?
Old 10-14-04, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Furthermore, if it is real, whoever did the graphics on this should be fired. The Edwards header goes way off into the margins, the "Colorado Election Day Manual" part doesn't looks centered, and the whole thing just has an overall "wonky" look to it. Damn near every line is kind of veering off in it's own direction.
Old 10-14-04, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It seems kinda silly, but it doesn't appear to be saying to make charges that voter intimidation is happening, just to bring it up to remind people that it has happened in the past and could happen again. I'll agree that it's a sneaky way to try and get out the vote.

Edit: I don't agree with the "Place stories in which minority leadership expresses concern about the threat of intimidation tactics." That's pretty lame IMO. Everything else seems okay to me though... if it's real of course.

Last edited by Mordred; 10-14-04 at 11:57 AM.
Old 10-14-04, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Looks fake, but accurate.
Old 10-14-04, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Dimension X

Looks fake, but accurate.
ZING!

New York Times headline tommorow, right?
Old 10-14-04, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Kinda related, from National Review's Kerry Spot:

the New York Post reports:

Marc Elias, the general counsel for the Kerry team, has said the campaign intends to be able to "fight five statewide recounts and still have funds available to the campaign." The New York Law Journal reports that the local Lawyers Committee for the Kerry Campaign has raised $2 million to support recount efforts.

The legal talent won't be needed in New York, of course, but that's what rent-a-jets are for. Democrats have already launched lawsuits in Florida, New Mexico and Ohio and the Kerry camp has set up its own nationwide legal network, in lieu of the usual local Democratic Lawyers Associations.

"It's a case of Florida gone national," says University of Virginia professor Larry Sabato, "They're ready, and I take that as a threat, not a promise."

The lawsuits may materialize even in the wake of a decisive Bush victory: Democrats have learned that hinting darkly about the "illegitimacy" of a Republican president keeps their partisan fervor on the boil between elections.

The DNC plan is clear: To heck with what the actual results say, we're going to sue our way to the presidency.
Old 10-14-04, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

2. If no signs of intimidation techniques have emerged yet, launch a "pre-emptive strike" (particularly well-suited to states in which there techniques have been tried in the past).

Pretty impressive grammatical error for an "official" manual.

It seems some here are suggesting that maybe this page is taken "out of context"?? Am I reading that right?

Assuming this PDF is legit, the context seems pretty clear to me. Now if Drudge later produces a page 3 which says, in reference to page 2, "Just Kidding! HA HA HA! ROFLMAO! WTF? OwNEd!" then maybe I'll reconsider.

But considering that Jesse Jackson was on CNN last night after the debate, spouting rhetoric that basically gibes with the gist of this document, I'm thinking that it sounds reasonable to assume it's legit.
Old 10-14-04, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by bardevious
Pretty impressive grammatical error for an "official" manual.
It's not like there isn't a track record. Check out this full-page ad from the DNC in the NYTimes:

Second?
Old 10-14-04, 12:54 PM
Premium Member

Originally posted by natesfortune
Kinda related, from National Review's Kerry Spot:
I posted the email they sent out for this. It did claim that the reps have also rasied money for recounts.

You must know that both sides are doing this?
Old 10-14-04, 01:05 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

They are not using it as a strategy to win. The dem manual states that they should use "pre-emptive" strikes in places where the technique has "worked" before. I wonder which state they are talking about.
Old 10-14-04, 01:06 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

From Drudge
One top DNC official confirmed the manual's authenticity, but claimed the notion of crying wolf on any voter intimidation is "absurd."

"We all know the Republicans are going to try to steal the election by scaring people and confusing people," the top DNC source explained.
Old 10-14-04, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
Originally posted by Chew
It's not like there isn't a track record. Check out this full-page ad from the DNC in the NYTimes:

Second?
I've got a number two ready for Kerry!

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.