Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Musicians rock for Kerry

Old 10-12-04, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Musicians rock for Kerry

Musicians rock for Kerry
Browne, Mellencamp, Raitt, R.E.M., others raise millions
From Phil Hirschkorn
CNN

Tuesday, October 12, 2004 Posted: 1:54 PM EDT (1754 GMT)

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Some of the biggest names in rock and roll raised millions of dollars in the nation's capital on Monday with a marathon concert aimed at getting out the vote for Democratic presidential candidate Sen. John Kerry.

Bruce Springsteen, Dave Matthews Band, Pearl Jam, R.E.M., the Dixie Chicks, James Taylor, Bonnie Raitt, Jackson Browne, John Mellencamp and John Fogerty led a troupe of artists before a crowd of about 20,000 fans at the MCI Center.

It was the final stop on the Vote for Change tour, which has staged shows in 11 states.

Monday's show was the first that involved all of the tour's headliners.

Over the past two weeks, they had performed separately or in pairs in Florida, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Iowa, Wisconsin, Missouri, Minnesota, Virginia, Arizona and Washington state.

"We're here tonight with a mission, we're here tonight with a purpose," Springsteen told the crowd near the end of his hour set, the longest of the evening. "When I hear all the talk about swing voters," he continued, "It's October 11th. What the hell are you waiting for?"

Most of the artists made brief political remarks to the crowd and a nationwide TV audience tuned in on the Sundance Channel.

Natalie Maines of the Dixie Chicks addressed the trio's ban from airplay on Clear Channel radio stations last year after band members made comments in opposition to the Iraq war.

"After the incident, people asked me, 'Do you want to take back what you said or apologize?' " she told the crowd, whose members responded, "No!"

"If I did that, Bush would call me a flip-flopper," Maines continued. "So I'm sticking to it!"

John Mellencamp, whose "Small Town" and "Your Life is Now" have been theme songs for vice presidential candidate John Edwards, derided what he said have been chills on free speech under the Bush administration.

"It's our duty to challenge the government," Mellencamp said. "Recently, if you challenged the government you've been called a traitor, and I think that's wrong."

Most of all, the artists urged their fans to vote on November 2, and to do so to remove President Bush from office.

Eddie Vedder, lead singer of Pearl Jam, wore a T-shirt with Bush's face. Above it said "Expired." Below it said "Nov. 04."

"It seems like we got the message across," Vedder told the crowd, "that everyone is going to vote." With all the talk of a "new world" starting on November 3, Vedder said he wanted a visual reminder that election day is on the second day of the month.

"Put up your hands and tell them what day it's on," he said. The band and crowd flashed a peace sign. "That's what I'm talking about."

Longtime political activists Jackson Browne and Bonnie Raitt played together with blues artist Keb Mo. Browne wore a T-shirt with a dove that said "Vote."

"So much hope in the room and out there in the country," Raitt told the crowd.

Browne, Raitt and Mo played Buffalo Springfield's 1967 anthem "For What It's Worth," about loss of innocence and its replacement with fear and violence.

Pearl Jam played Bob Dylan's "Masters of War."

The Dixie Chicks sang with James Taylor, who uttered perhaps the evening's harshest dig toward President Bush. "I hate it when they say 'Don't change horses in midstream' ... if your horse can't swim and he's way over his head," Taylor said.

"Look at the two candidates," he told undecided voters, "And you choose the smart one."

R.E.M. lead singer Michael Stipe appeared in a white suit with a Kerry T-shirt that he revealed during the concert finale.

"We're R.E.M. and we approve this concert," Stipe said as the Georgia band launched into its set, highlighted by Springsteen joining them for "Man on the Moon."

"There's a lot of work to be done," Stipe told the crowd. "It's up to you."

Springsteen returned to the stage with a solo acoustic version of the "Star Spangled Banner" before his E-Street Band joined him. They plowed through the Vietnam-infused "Born in the USA" and "No Surrender," which has become Kerry's campaign them song.

"We remain a land of great promise, but we must move on," Springsteen told the crowd. He said the issues that motivated him to engage in the first partisan political activity of his 30-year career included concerns about civil rights, the environment, instituting a living wage and "humility in exercising our power around the world."

"America is not always right. That's a fairy tale for children," he said.

All the artists packed the stage for two encores: Elvis Costello's Nick Lowe-written "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace Love and Understanding?" followed by Patti Smith's "People Have the Power."

Tickets cost $75 to $180, though some concertgoers paid more for VIP access.

Proceeds went to America Coming Together, a Democratic group targeting voters in swing states in an effort to defeat Bush in November.

ACT, which has paid canvassers in 17 states, estimates the concerts have grossed more than $12 million, before expenses.

New Jersey, which recently emerged as a contested state, will be the site of the final performance Wednesday by Browne, Raitt, Fogerty and Springsteen, who is from the state.

Democrats have no lock on the music world.

A number of performers have expressed support for Bush, including Reba McIntyre, Wayne Newton, Pat Boone, Alice Cooper, Lee Ann Womack, Britney Spears, Kid Rock, Toby Keith, Ricky Scaggs, Brooks and Dunn, Martina McBride, Travis Tritt, Clint Black, Randy Travis and the Gatlin Brothers.

Wow...... the repub's get many country singers.... LOLOLOL
Old 10-12-04, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wanna ROCK......for Kerry!!!!

Old 10-12-04, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Re: Musicians rock for Kerry

Originally posted by raven56706
Most of the artists made brief political remarks to the crowd and a nationwide TV audience tuned in on the Sundance Channel.
So who can rightly complain about the Kerry documentary that some stations want to broadcast, but give this a pass?

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=390083
Old 10-12-04, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk God

good point, but let's ignore it
Old 10-12-04, 02:37 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
b-b-but this is music, man. It's art.
Old 10-12-04, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: Musicians rock for Kerry

Originally posted by General Zod
So who can rightly complain about the Kerry documentary that some stations want to broadcast, but give this a pass?

but but but it wasn't the night before the election!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Was that good?
Old 10-12-04, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You know what would be cool? If a bunch of washed up musicians told me their opinions on politics....oh yeah..
Old 10-12-04, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, I don't know if it is a fair comparison. Since no one actually watched this concert, it may not really count.
Old 10-12-04, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

oh please......i just put it other.... i am not commenting
Old 10-12-04, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This was on the Sundance channel, not broadcast TV so equal time rules don't apply, no?
Old 10-12-04, 03:12 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Ah Ms. Maines, singing a different tune now are we?

Natalie Maines of the Dixie Chicks addressed the trio's ban from airplay on Clear Channel radio stations last year after band members made comments in opposition to the Iraq war.

"After the incident, people asked me, 'Do you want to take back what you said or apologize?' " she told the crowd, whose members responded, "No!"

"If I did that, Bush would call me a flip-flopper," Maines continued. "So I'm sticking to it!"
Shades of Senator Kerry, here is what Ms. Maines said in March of 2003 when fans started throwing her CDs in the dumpster: “As a concerned American citizen, I apologize to President Bush because my remark was disrespectful. I feel that whoever holds that office should be treated with the utmost respect.”
http://www.nationalreview.com/thecorner/corner.asp
Old 10-12-04, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wait! I thought this was supposed to be a non taking sides - "Vote For Change"
Old 10-12-04, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Yep, just like Sean Penn and P Diddy just want you to vote
Old 10-12-04, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i swear if people vote for nader because he is just the small guy of the group.... i think then Puff Daddy would leave the country
Old 10-12-04, 03:55 PM
Premium Member

Public airwaves - but hey why let facts cloud this issue.
Old 10-12-04, 04:01 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Jam Master Jay
You know what would be cool? If a bunch of washed up musicians told me their opinions on politics....oh yeah..

You'd be OK with non-washed-up musicians telling you their opinions? I think Britney Spears (using the term musician lightly) would like you to vote Bush.
Old 10-12-04, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Does this mean that all the over the air news stations that covered this sham of a concert have to give equal time to Bush? Somehow I doubt it.
Old 10-12-04, 04:11 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Springsteen is "washed up"?
Old 10-12-04, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

http://www.theonion.com/news/index.p...40&n=0&ref=myy
Old 10-12-04, 05:54 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

I love this line for some reason:

"I couldn't ignore all the bad that's going on," said Edmonds, who co-wrote Bobby Brown's 1992 single "Humpin' Around."
Old 10-13-04, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

For those keeping score:

Pro-Kerry: Bruce Springsteen, Dave Matthews Band, Pearl Jam, R.E.M., the Dixie Chicks, James Taylor, Bonnie Raitt, Jackson Browne, John Mellencamp, John Forgery and the Sundance Channel.

Pro-Bush: Reba McIntyre, Wayne Newton, Pat Boone, Alice Cooper, Lee Ann Womack, Britney Spears, Kid Rock, Toby Keith, Ricky Scaggs, Brooks and Dunn, Martina McBride, Travis Tritt, Clint Black, Randy Travis and the Gatlin Brothers.

If performers want to take sides, that's fine. But when they do, they run the risk of choosing a side contrary to their fans' opinion. They're the ones making the choice, so the consequences are their own fault. I don't own any Springsteen or R.E.M., but I do have some Bonnie Raitt and Jackson Browne CDs which I will be throwing away tonight when I get home. I will also be blocking the Sundance Channel on my DirecTV receiver. Thanks raven for posting this article.
Old 10-13-04, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Bandoman
Springsteen is "washed up"?
When is the last time you heard a song of his on the radio that wasn't 20 years old?
Old 10-13-04, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by kenbuzz
For those keeping score:

Pro-Kerry: The Dixie Chicks

Pro-Bush: Lee Ann Womack, Martina McBride
Old 10-13-04, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by kenbuzz

I don't own any Springsteen or R.E.M., but I do have some Bonnie Raitt and Jackson Browne CDs which I will be throwing away tonight when I get home. I will also be blocking the Sundance Channel on my DirecTV receiver. Thanks raven for posting this article.
This is one thing I don't get. Sell the CDs to a 2nd hand store and get some money for them. I doubt Bonnie Raitt & Jackson Browne give a flying fuck if you throw out stuff they already have been paid for. Trade in the CDs and support those artists you want with the money you make.

As for Sundance- isn't that part of the Showtime package? Blocking the channel doesn't do anything, as you're still paying for premium content. Drop Showtime all together and they won't get your 12 bucks a month.

As for me, I have DMB, Pearl Jam, and REM CDs. I don't plan on getting rid of them just because I don't agree with their beliefs. I just download their new stuff from now on
Old 10-13-04, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by nevermind
This is one thing I don't get. Sell the CDs to a 2nd hand store and get some money for them. I doubt Bonnie Raitt & Jackson Browne give a flying fuck if you throw out stuff they already have been paid for. Trade in the CDs and support those artists you want with the money you make.
It's a tough call. If I trade it in, someone else might "enjoy" the CDs. The money I spent is already a sunk cost, though I might just rip the CDs and post the .mp3s so the music can be shared without the artists seeing a dime -- assuming the RIAA doesn't get me first.
As for Sundance- isn't that part of the Showtime package? Blocking the channel doesn't do anything, as you're still paying for premium content. Drop Showtime all together and they won't get your 12 bucks a month.
I thought Shundance was part of the Total Choice package. Maybe I'm confusing it and IFC? I don't have Showtime (Viacom) anyway, so maybe it's not an issue.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.