Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Will Teresa Heinz Kerry ever disclose her tax forms

Old 10-12-04, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Will Teresa Heinz Kerry ever disclose her tax forms

Candidates have to disclose, but because she and her husband file separately she technically gets a pass unless she releases the records.

Now, most people who are financially astute know that spouses do that so it is to their advantage. Also, you can shift assets around between spouses/revocable trusts. Unless she releases those papers noone really has an idea what John Kerry's finances are. I find it astonishing that the media have given John and Teresa a pass on this.
Old 10-12-04, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No, because it's exactly like you said. The press has given them a pass on it. The issue is dead.

Now the Boston Globe decided to dig thru Bush's National Guard records 8 months after they were released and revive a dead issue to a front page story. I doubt we will see anything like that with Kerry's tax records.
Old 10-12-04, 06:54 AM

I find it astonishing that the media have given John and Teresa a pass on this.
I don't.
Old 10-12-04, 09:42 AM

http://www.atr.org/pressreleases/200...xes-9-7-04.htm

Kerrys Paid Just 12% in Federal Income Taxes in 2003
Massachusetts Senator paid skimpy tax bill despite calls for rich to "pay their share"

WASHINGTON, D.C. - John Kerry has repeatedly called for increasing taxes on the "wealthy" so the affluent "pay their fair share" for the "common good." Ironically, John and Theresa Heinz Kerry, who comprise one the richest families in the world, pay relatively little income tax.

Last year, John Kerry and his wife paid just 12% of their combined income in income taxes, despite their assertion that the rich should contribute increased amounts to government coffers. In contrast, President and Mrs. Bush, who had a substantially lower income than the Kerry's, paid over 28% in taxes.

"John Kerry wants other Americans to pay higher taxes while he and his wife manage to pay a rate lower than most of the middle class," said ATR President Grover Norquist. "Apparently, the Kerrys think everyone else should pay higher taxes but them."

In addition to finding loopholes and write-offs to decrease his taxes, John Kerry has declined to pay a small, voluntary tax in his home state. The Massachusetts state income tax code contains a provision allowing payers to contribute an extra .6% of their income to benefit the commonwealth. Kerry has consistently failed to pay the extra money, which would have amounted to $687 dollars last year.

"John Kerry thinks other hardworking Americans should pay more taxes while he and his billionaire wife pay as little as possible," continued Norquist. "The hypocrisy John Kerry shows on his own tax return is not indicative of the character and judgment America needs in our President."
Why am I not surprised?
Old 10-12-04, 09:44 AM

Who the hell cares? Let's focus on the candidates and the issues, not the first ladies.
Old 10-12-04, 10:24 AM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Who the hell cares? Let's focus on the candidates and the issues, not the first ladies.
Funny groucho is back!

From the article:
"Last year, John Kerry and his wife paid just 12% of their combined income in income taxes, despite their assertion that the rich should contribute increased amounts to government coffers. In contrast, President and Mrs. Bush, who had a substantially lower income than the Kerry's, paid over 28% in taxes."
Old 10-12-04, 10:25 AM
Premium Member

nope
Old 10-12-04, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

No, and I couldn't care less.
Old 10-12-04, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk God

I have always said that the very wealthy pay little in taxes and Kerry will not change that.

And if Kerry is elected, his wife's holdings will not be placed in a blind trust, which is a huge conflict of interest that every liberal will ignore, while they think that Haliburton is an actual issue with Cheney.

Wanna' figure that out? No you don't.
Old 10-12-04, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I fail to see how this matters in the least. Why shouldn't Kerry take advantage of tax avoidance measures he is eligible for? Don't you? Do you give extra money to the government just for kicks?
Old 10-12-04, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Duran
I fail to see how this matters in the least. Why shouldn't Kerry take advantage of tax avoidance measures he is eligible for? Don't you? Do you give extra money to the government just for kicks?
Well, do you go around the country complaining how the rich don't pay their fair share? Kerry says that the rich are not paying their fair share. If he feels that the rich are not paying their fair share, he should not be taking all deductions and doing whatever else he does to avoid taxes.

If he truely felt that the rich were not paying the proper amount in taxes he would pay more.
Old 10-12-04, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Duran
I fail to see how this matters in the least.
It matters because candidates are required to disclose their income and its sources. Kerry is exploiting a loophole to hide some portion of his income, and possibly even the source of that income. It makes one wonder, why would he need to do that?

At the very least, it has the appearance of impropriety, and we all know that that is a bad thing, right?

Last edited by RoboDad; 10-12-04 at 01:49 PM.
Old 10-12-04, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Since bhk mentioned an article, I thought someone should actually include an article in this thread.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2004May11.html
Old 10-12-04, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Matchpenalty, I'd like you to disclose your tax forms. You know only CANDIDATES have to disclose so the fact that you're not a candidate is clearly just to your advantage...

Stupid request, right? Then leave Mrs. Kerry alone.
Old 10-12-04, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think that her taxes and assets are relevant. During the primaries, when all the other candidates were running out of money, Kerry was able to use his wifes assets to give his campaign a loan. This large infusion of cash let him advertise and get the late surge that he needed. he wins those first primaries, the press hops on his bandwagon, and the rest is history.

He uses her assets when it is convient for him, and then hides behind the fact that they file seperately when that is convient. Can't have it both ways.
Old 10-12-04, 02:05 PM

Can't have it both ways.
Of course you can when the media decides it's not newsworthy/important enough to make an issue out of it.
Old 10-12-04, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Matchpenalty, I'd like you to disclose your tax forms. You know only CANDIDATES have to disclose so the fact that you're not a candidate is clearly just to your advantage...

Stupid request, right? Then leave Mrs. Kerry alone.
is matchpenalty currently married to a high profile candidate for president? did he file his taxes jointly with one?

birrman54
Old 10-12-04, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

He/she might be!
Old 10-12-04, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
He/she might be!
matchpenalty = Mrs. Nader?!?!?
Old 10-12-04, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by nevermind
matchpenalty = Mrs. Nader?!?!?
perhaps I should have said important

birrman54
Old 10-12-04, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well jeez - the third most recognizable name out of the 100 or so thinking they are running for president seems somewhat high profile, dontcha think? I mean I could have said Mrs. Badnarik

Old 10-12-04, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Again, why does this not matter to many of the same people that are very concerned about Cheney and Haliburton?
Old 10-12-04, 02:35 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

For the same reason that NOW didn't care too much when Clinton fondled women.
Old 10-12-04, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
considering she probably financed his campaign I'd think the FEC would be curious
Old 10-12-04, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by kvrdave
Again, why does this not matter to many of the same people that are very concerned about Cheney and Haliburton?
Simple.... Cheney is a Republican and Kerry is a Democrat.

That makes ALL the difference.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.