Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Anybody else miss the voter registration date?

Old 10-11-04, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anybody else miss the voter registration date?

Just wondering,

Anyone else too busy and accidently go past the voter registration date? I work full time 2nds and go to school in the mornings - all in a different county from my home (about 40 minutes away). I guess I had Friday mornings but normally I am crashed from burning out all week long. Sad thing is the mobile voter registration bus was at my university but I missed it.

Last I knew, I am registered in an entirely different township/county - and I haven't seen my voter registration card since right after I turned 18 back in like '97-98. That was back when I didn't vote.
Old 10-11-04, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk God

I'm telling Sean Penn.
Old 10-11-04, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

P diddy say you have to die now. I'm sorry
Old 10-12-04, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by nevermind
P diddy say you have to die now. I'm sorry
Old 10-12-04, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

We don't have a deadline, can register up to and including election day.
Old 10-12-04, 02:19 AM
Banned by request

I don't know what the laws are for MI, but you can register up to 15 days before an election in CA.
Old 10-12-04, 04:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
VOTE OR DIE!!!

VOTE OR DIE!!!

VOTE OR DIE!!!

I see you choose death.

http://www.kintera.org/site/apps/ka/...tegoryID=45340

I think I'll buy one so that I can wear when I work the elections like I always do.

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 10-12-04 at 04:25 AM.
Old 10-12-04, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

nope, i made sure i was registered. MI is a battleground state too. but i almost feel that if you were too busy to register, you are probably too busy to research the candidates and make an informed decision
Old 10-12-04, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

GreenMonkey (if you are still alive)

If you had registered in time, who were you planning on voting for?
Old 10-12-04, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Nope, I'm good to go.

Vote or die? I prefer the choices presented by Eddie Izzard: Cake or Death. I choose cake, even though I live a moderate to low carbohydrate lifestyle.
Old 10-12-04, 08:19 AM

Somehow, even with my busy schedule, this is not something I've ever had trouble with.
Old 10-12-04, 11:02 AM
Banned

I didn't miss the date. I'm not voting. I refuse to vote when none of the offered choices is somebody that I actually think can run the country. I don't want either one of the people on the ballot to be elected. Lack of real choices has driven me to not give a damn about the whole political system, in fact. Voting is basically worthless when none, and I mean none, of the candidates agree with your views. So fuck it, I'm not voting.
Old 10-12-04, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by wmansir
We don't have a deadline, can register up to and including election day.
same here

<3 Wisconsin election laws
Old 10-12-04, 11:15 AM

Originally posted by Otto
I didn't miss the date. I'm not voting. I refuse to vote when none of the offered choices is somebody that I actually think can run the country. I don't want either one of the people on the ballot to be elected. Lack of real choices has driven me to not give a damn about the whole political system, in fact. Voting is basically worthless when none, and I mean none, of the candidates agree with your views. So fuck it, I'm not voting.
You could always write in your candidate of choice.
Old 10-12-04, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Puffy strikes again

Someone just came in to register to vote. The deadline was last week. She looked positively shocked. "You mean I can't vote?!?!?"

If you cared so much, you'd pay closer attention.

Another customer asked who she was planning on voting for. Any guesses?
Old 10-12-04, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Otto

Good for you. I prefer informed people to do this rather than swallow the bile coming up their throat when voting lesser of 2 evils.
Old 10-12-04, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
Not voting means that you no longer have the right to bitch and moan.
Old 10-12-04, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Red Dog
Good for you. I prefer informed people to do this rather than swallow the bile coming up their throat when voting lesser of 2 evils.
I couldn't disagree more. The simple fact is that ONE of these two men WILL be elected president on November 2nd (or 3rd, or 4th... ). Hiding one's head in the sand, whatever the given excuse, doesn't change that fact.

Voting isn't just a right, it is a responsibility. In my opinion, people who don't vote share a larger portion of the blame for things that go wrong than people who do vote, even more than those who vote ignorantly.

So swallow the bile, people, and choose the lesser of two evils. If you don't, who will?
Old 10-12-04, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by RoboDad
I couldn't disagree more. The simple fact is that ONE of these two men WILL be elected president on November 2nd (or 3rd, or 4th... ). Hiding one's head in the sand, whatever the given excuse, doesn't change that fact.

Voting isn't just a right, it is a responsibility. In my opinion, people who don't vote share a larger portion of the blame for things that go wrong than people who do vote, even more than those who vote ignorantly.

So swallow the bile, people, and choose the lesser of two evils. If you don't, who will?

Because as long you continue to vote for bad candidates, that is the kind of choice you will continue to get. If there is no candidate that matches your views at least 50% of the way, you should not validate their candidacy by voting for them. In my opinion, people who vote for people they don't really like do not bring us any closer to candidates who are worthy of leading this country. It simply makes this worse. If Otto feels he is not adequately represented by any candidate, then he is better served not voting and hoping that his and others' no-votes bring better candidates the next time around.
Old 10-12-04, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by weargle
Not voting means that you no longer have the right to bitch and moan.

Why not? I voted Libertarian last time. Did I retain my right to bitch and moan because I didn't vote for Gore or Bush. If I decide to sit this one out because I think the candidates are crap (and they all are), why do I suddenly lose my right to bitch and moan?
Old 10-12-04, 02:30 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Otto and Red Dog - are you going to go to the polls to vote for your congressman/senator, or local officials? Are you just refraining from voting for Pres/VP?
Old 10-12-04, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Bandoman
Otto and Red Dog - are you going to go to the polls to vote for your congressman/senator, or local officials? Are you just refraining from voting for Pres/VP?

No VA Senate race. Congressman Moron will easily win reelection. I don't think there is a Libertarian opponent and the Republican is a nimrod as well. The state Senate and House races take place in odd years. There are no major ballot initiatives. Frankly, if there is a year to take off from voting, this is as good as any for me.

I'll still probably show up and vote though - if only to help out my bet.
Old 10-12-04, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I registered back in August of this year and was told that I was supposed to get some kind of card in the mail, but haven't gotten anything yet.

I guess I'm a truly undecided voter since I don't even know if I'm going to be able to vote at all
Old 10-12-04, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Jam Master Jay
I registered back in August of this year and was told that I was supposed to get some kind of card in the mail, but haven't gotten anything yet.

I guess I'm a truly undecided voter since I don't even know if I'm going to be able to vote at all
Sounds like we need a new voter category:

Registered voters
Likely voters
Undecided voters
Infrequent voters

and now...

"Tried to register but not sure if it really happened" voters
Old 10-12-04, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

60 minutes had a story of over the weekend of some college kid crying how he couldn't register in his college town since he never claimed residency there.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.