Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

If Bush want after Al Qaeda before 9-11 would people have bitched?

Old 10-11-04, 11:10 AM
Banned

OK I don't get it people like to jump up and down and cry and say Bush should have acted sooner and went after Al Qaeda before 9-11. What I want to know would people be saying the same things they are about Iraq if Bush want this course?

I mean before 9-11 Al Qaeda did not do to much harm to US Soil truth be told. I mean both Al Qaeda and Saddam both said death to the USA and destroyed military targets. Al Qaeda blow up some buildings and a bout. Saddam shot down a few planes if I remember right. Also Saddam also did kill US men and women in the first Golf War. People seem to like to forget the Golf War.

It seems to me Bush is damned if he does damned if he don't. So tell me WTF do you want someone to act to soon or to late? You can't have it both ways.

I look forward to your replies. Even the ones telling me you spelled stuff wrong and use grammar cause I made good points they can't stand to say I'm right.

PS. This is not a pro Bush post. You can replace Bush name with Kerrys if you want.

PSS. If someone can rewrite my points and this post better then me then please go ahead.

Last edited by TOPDAWG; 10-11-04 at 11:15 AM.
Old 10-11-04, 11:15 AM
Admin-Thanos

Re: If Bush want after Al Qaeda before 9-11 would people have bitched?

Originally posted by TOPDAWG
Saddam shot down a few planes if I remember right. Also Saddam also did kill US men and women in the first Golf War. People seem to like to forget the Golf War.
No blood for German import cars!

Old 10-11-04, 11:16 AM

Re: If Bush want after Al Qaeda before 9-11 would people have bitched?

You can replace Bush name with Kerrys if you want.
It would be more apt to replace Bush's name with Clinton. Obviously, there was more BOTH presidents could (and should) have done about Al Queda before 9/11.

But if Clinton had done more there would have been bitching from the right, and if Bush had done more there would have been bitching from the left.

Gotta love partisan politics.
Old 10-11-04, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Do a search in the archives and you will find an interesting thread about whehter we should kill Osama or not prior to 9/11 Includes some greatest hits from some people still on the board.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...ighlight=osama
Old 10-11-04, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Due to the 2000 election fiasco, half the people in the country would bitch and complain if Bush discovered the cure for cancer, ended world hunger, and created world peace.
Old 10-11-04, 11:22 AM
Banned

Re: Re: If Bush want after Al Qaeda before 9-11 would people have bitched?

Originally posted by Groucho
It would be more apt to replace Bush's name with Clinton. Obviously, there was more BOTH presidents could (and should) have done about Al Queda before 9/11.

But if Clinton had done more there would have been bitching from the right, and if Bush had done more there would have been bitching from the left.

Gotta love partisan politics.
Shit you got me there I should have used Clinton. Yeah that does suck about politics. No matter how good a idea Bush comes with with the Dem's are going to hate it and no matter how good a idea Dem's come up with Reps are going to hate it.

I mean the tax cut Bush did must have been good being as the Congress renewed it. You have Kerry saying how bad it was for everyone.

I also remember Edwards saying Kerry has no plan and shit when it was trying to beat him. Now he is running with him he is saying Kerry has a plan. WTF!?

I want people to tell me when is the right time to act. I'll gave a exp of what I mean later when I'm more awake.
Old 10-11-04, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by chanster
Do a search in the archives and you will find an interesting thread about whehter we should kill Osama or not prior to 9/11 Includes some greatest hits from some people still on the board.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...ighlight=osama
Your "terrorist" = My "Freedom Fighter"
Old 10-11-04, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Neither Clinton nor Bush appreciated how great the risk was from Bin Laden.
Old 10-11-04, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by General Zod
Due to the 2000 election fiasco, half the people in the country would bitch and complain if Bush discovered the cure for cancer, ended world hunger, and created world peace.
With the exception of a few weeks/months after 9/11, you are 100% correct.
Old 10-11-04, 11:31 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Mammal
Yes but before 9-11 they were no more a resk then Iraq. Both only destroyed what could be seen as military targets. Both killed US men and women. I'm talking resk to US soil.

PS. Also could everyone leave their hate or love for Bush at the door. This is about when is the time to act not if you agree with Kerry or Bush. You may bring them into it but please keep it around the topic.

PSS. Over 83 views come on folks I'd like to know what you think.

Last edited by TOPDAWG; 10-11-04 at 11:40 AM.
Old 10-11-04, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Bush never could have justifified taking out the Taliban to get at Al Qaeda leaders. "What do you mean there's a threat, you didn't find any jumbo jets in the Afghan outback; how could they crash airliners into the WTC." If we knew exactly what they were going to do, no liberal would have believed it; it was just a conservative plot to frighten people and justify weird laws. Of course, after they did it, "George should have known, George should have protected us, God knows Al would have."

(I don't think Saddam shot down any planes after Gulf I. On "no-fly" patrol, if a defense installation so much as turned on radar, we destroyed it.)
Old 10-11-04, 11:43 AM
Admin-Thanos

Yes but before 9-11 they were no more a resk then Iraq. Both only destroyed what could be seen as military targets.

PSS. Over 83 views come on folks I'd like to know what you think.
The African Embassies were military targets?
Old 10-11-04, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Or the first WTC bombing?
Old 10-11-04, 11:49 AM
Banned

Originally posted by OldDude
Bush never could have justifified taking out the Taliban to get at Al Qaeda leaders. "What do you mean there's a threat, you didn't find any jumbo jets in the Afghan outback; how could they crash airliners into the WTC." If we knew exactly what they were going to do, no liberal would have believed it; it was just a conservative plot to frighten people and justify weird laws. Of course, after they did it, "George should have known, George should have protected us, God knows Al would have."

(I don't think Saddam shot down any planes after Gulf I. On "no-fly" patrol, if a defense installation so much as turned on radar, we destroyed it.)
HMM talking about planes.

http://www.snopes.com/rumors/mural.php
http://www.snopes.com/photos/military/sandplanes.asp
Old 10-11-04, 11:50 AM
Banned

Originally posted by VinVega
The African Embassies were military targets?
Yes they can be seen as that being as it's at least part of a government.
Old 10-11-04, 11:53 AM
Banned

Originally posted by General Zod
http://www.snopes.com/rumors/nobel.htm
Old 10-11-04, 12:00 PM
Admin-Thanos

Yes they can be seen as that being as it's at least part of a government.
So the civilians in those embassies were under the same understanding as military personnel that they were risking their life by working at a desk job? I think not, but that's where I'll end the tangent.

The answer to your question is that if Bush went after Afghanistan before 9/11, people would have bitched, because people's attitudes changed after 9/11. People's attitudes changed after Pearl Harbor as well. It's not that complicated.
Old 10-11-04, 01:13 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Great find on the pre-9/11 terrorist threat. Really interesting responses from the usual crowd.
Old 10-11-04, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

what,and give up his vacation time.
Old 10-11-04, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It depends on what "went after Al Qaeda" meant. If it meant forming alliances with nations to capture suspected members, then I highly doubt it.
Old 10-11-04, 01:58 PM
Cool New Member

Actually, (and dont take this as i had any love for Clinton) but the Clinton administration had massive amounts of intel on Bin Laden and passed it along, and all of this was ignored by the incoming Bush administration... it seems to me to be a "I dont have to listen to you, we are smarter then you" childish attitude.

Last edited by Adonus; 10-11-04 at 02:11 PM.
Old 10-11-04, 02:18 PM
Banned

Of course. That's because if Bush were tackling these issues he'd do it with nukular weapons. Seriously, nuke anyone who doesn't have McDonalds and everyone will fall into line. Then he could cure cancer by throwing anyone with it off of the great American Island into the radioactive wasteland, survivor style. No more world hunger, strife, or cancer, the Bush way.
Old 10-11-04, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Nutter
Of course. That's because if Bush were tackling these issues he'd do it with nukular weapons. Seriously, nuke anyone who doesn't have McDonalds and everyone will fall into line. Then he could cure cancer by throwing anyone with it off of the great American Island into the radioactive wasteland, survivor style. No more world hunger, strife, or cancer, the Bush way.
Mod Note: Read This: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=387386
Old 10-11-04, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Adonus
Actually, (and dont take this as i had any love for Clinton) but the Clinton administration had massive amounts of intel on Bin Laden and passed it along, and all of this was ignored by the incoming Bush administration... it seems to me to be a "I dont have to listen to you, we are smarter then you" childish attitude.
The fact that he only passed it along pretty much supports Mammal's post, no?
Old 10-11-04, 03:41 PM

I dunno. Richard Clarke said Bush's new strategy was to "eliminate" terrorist networks rather than "roll them back" (Clinton strategy) in a background briefing prior to 9/11.

What happened is that the U.S. gov't moves slowly--and in this case for the worse--and I'm not sure bin Laden's exact whereabouts were known for the purpose of eliminating him. Particularly after the attempt on his life via Tomahawk missile failed in...1998.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.