Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Californians Love Arnold As Gov; But Not President

Old 10-10-04, 02:59 PM
Banned

Californians Love Arnold As Gov; But Not President

http://www.ktvu.com/news/3793434/detail.html

SACRAMENTO -- Despite giving Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger job approval ratings among the highest of any governor, California voters do not favor him running for president nor even the notion of changing the U.S. Constitution to allow his candidacy.

The nonpartisan Field Poll released Friday found 65 percent of voters approve of Schwarzenegger's job performance -- a level that has not changed since May.

But voters are far less interested in seeing the Austrian native and former Hollywood star in the White House. By a two-to-one margin, voters said they do not support Schwarzenegger for president.

Further, the poll found, 58 percent of California voters did not support changing the U.S. Constitution to allow foreign-born Americans who have lived in the United States more than 20 years to run for president. Just 36 percent of voters in Schwarzenegger's home state supported the idea.

If the constitution was changed and Schwarzenegger ran, 50 percent said they were not inclined to vote for him while 26 percent said they were.

While the sentiments may seem conflicted, Mark DiCamillo, poll director, said voters may just want to see how Schwarzenegger performs over a longer period of time.

"Voters want to see a little more of him, he's only been in office a year," said DiCamillo. "It might be interesting to re-examine this after time has passed and people see a little more of him."

Taking office after one of the most divisive elections in California history -- the state's first recall of a governor -- Schwarzenegger in January had approval of barely half of the voters. Since then, however, his numbers have soared, even after a bruising budget battle and in recent weeks the tough and sometimes unpopular decisions over bill signings.

But voters are optimistic about the direction of the state -- indeed, for the first time since 2000, more voters think the state is headed in the right direction, 46 percent, as feel it is on the wrong track, 38 percent.

DiCamillo said it is not unprecedented that a governor receive high marks throughout his first year in office. He noted that Democratic Gov. Jerry Brown had approval from 67 percent of the voters 11 months after taking office in 1975.

"If these numbers extend into his second year, that would be unprecedented," DiCamillo said.

The poll, taken among 600 registered voters during the six-day period ending Sept. 29, found Schwarzenegger has support among all types of voters: 46 percent of Democrats approved of the job he is doing, with 88 percent of Republicans and 64 percent of nonpartisan voters.

Almost a quarter of voters said the quality they like most about Schwarzenegger is decisive and strong leadership; 17 percent mentioned his efforts to control state spending; and 10 percent said they like him because "he's for the people."

When asked about whether the governor has followed through with campaign promises, many voters raised issues. Four in 10 said Schwarzenegger has done little or nothing to reduce the power of special interests, a key promise that the governor continues to repeat.

Only 54 percent of the voters said they believe he has followed through with his promise to change the way state government is run, while 38 percent think he has done little or nothing on this score.

The Field Poll has a margin of error of plus or minus 4.1 percentage points.
Old 10-10-04, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk God

This is such a stupid subject. There will be no Schwarzenegger Amendment.
Old 10-10-04, 08:47 PM
Premium Member

Sat at the table next to him this morning for breakfast. Tom Arnold was with him

Man that guy is loud
Old 10-10-04, 11:39 PM

Originally posted by kvrdave
I sincerely hope there is, and not just for him. I've always felt that the exclusion of long-term naturalized citizens from consideration for the most respected political office in this country goes against everything we stand for as a nation. We are a nation of immigrants, a melting-pot nation proud of our relative equal opportunity for people no matter what their ethnic heritage, national background, sex, religion, etc. As cliche and as idealistic as it may be, this is the American Dream we're talking about here, and that American Dream currently has a rather large asterisk by it for naturalized citizens, and that reeks to me of hypocrisy.

When I've asked people why they are against such an amendment, the only reason I've heard is national security--as if a foreign mole or terrorist will somehow get into the White House and willingly destroy our nation from the inside out. Anyone who believes that must be woefully ignorant not only of the checks and balances that occur when a president is in power, but also the absolutely unparalleled level of scrutiny each and every presidential candidate goes through when running for office.

Government intelligence does its own background research, the media paints with an even broader brush, and finally it's up to the citizens of our country to make the final decision. People will be extremely cautious when it comes to a naturalized nominee, and in the end, all this fear is completely irrational. That said, are there any REAL reasons for not giving the opportunity to run for president to single-citizenship citizens naturalized for, say, 20 years at least?

Now, assuming that we were to get such an amendment, we would THEN start to discuss specific candidates' qualifications. In that respect, I certanly agree that this whole discussion as pertains to Arnold is premature.
Old 10-11-04, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Duder
I sincerely hope there is, and not just for him.
It honestly doesn't matter to me if there is or not. But, I firmly believe that as long as it takes for any ammendment to pass, we will not see a constitutional ammendment pass in our lifetimes.

We are too fickle and too content to not change.
Old 10-11-04, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by Duder
I sincerely hope there is, and not just for him. I've always felt that the exclusion of long-term naturalized citizens from consideration for the most respected political office in this country goes against everything we stand for as a nation. We are a nation of immigrants, a melting-pot nation proud of our relative equal opportunity for people no matter what their ethnic heritage, national background, sex, religion, etc. As cliche and as idealistic as it may be, this is the American Dream we're talking about here, and that American Dream currently has a rather large asterisk by it for naturalized citizens, and that reeks to me of hypocrisy.

When I've asked people why they are against such an amendment, the only reason I've heard is national security--as if a foreign mole or terrorist will somehow get into the White House and willingly destroy our nation from the inside out. Anyone who believes that must be woefully ignorant not only of the checks and balances that occur when a president is in power, but also the absolutely unparalleled level of scrutiny each and every presidential candidate goes through when running for office.

Government intelligence does its own background research, the media paints with an even broader brush, and finally it's up to the citizens of our country to make the final decision. People will be extremely cautious when it comes to a naturalized nominee, and in the end, all this fear is completely irrational. That said, are there any REAL reasons for not giving the opportunity to run for president to single-citizenship citizens naturalized for, say, 20 years at least?

Now, assuming that we were to get such an amendment, we would THEN start to discuss specific candidates' qualifications. In that respect, I certanly agree that this whole discussion as pertains to Arnold is premature.

Great post. I Agree 100%

Pro-B
Old 10-11-04, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
And there shouldn't be just for him.

But I believe the reason for the Constitutional provision in the first place was that the Founders did not want someone born in England rather than in the former colonies to become president. I think that the concern over that particular objection has passed.
Old 10-11-04, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by movielib
And there shouldn't be just for him.

But I believe the reason for the Constitutional provision in the first place was that the Founders did not want someone born in England rather than in the former colonies to become president. I think that the concern over that particular objection has passed.
Agreed. And it still won't happen
Old 10-11-04, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Agreed. And it still won't happen
I didn't say it would.

It won't for two reasons:

It won't if the perception is that it is being done for a particular person.

If it's not being done for a particular person, there won't be enough interest to do it.