Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The United States Senate Is In Session On The Sabbath!!

Old 10-10-04, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk God

The United States Senate Is In Session On The Sabbath!!

A rare Sunday session

Earlier in the day, Sen. Robert Byrd preached a 20-minute sermon on the evils of this violation of the Sabbath.

The Senate is considering the conference report on the transportation bill. It has been filibustered, led by Sen. Landrieu (D/LA). She objects to the house Republican leadership removing the reservist amendment that would permit employers to receive a tax incentive to maintain the full paycheck for their employees who are in the national guard or reserve and who have been called to active duty. The Repubs saw fit to give tax incentives to corporations doing business overseas, however.

The Senate invoked cloture, but Sen. Landrieu states she will continue to debate the issue on the floor of the Senate. Under the rules, if cloture is invoked, 30 additional hours of debate are allowed. Senators very rarely use this provision.

for Senator Landrieu.
Old 10-10-04, 02:56 PM
Banned

hooray!!!! Classicman is back.
Old 10-10-04, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sabbath = Saturday, don't it?
Old 10-10-04, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

btw, anyone know where to get transcripts of byrd's speech? do i have to wait a few days for it ot make it into the record?
Old 10-10-04, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Whoo, very exciting.
Old 10-10-04, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How dare Byrd try to force his personal religious views on others. Wait...he's a Democrat. It's cool.
Old 10-10-04, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

c-man's back!
Old 10-10-04, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The United States Senate Is In Session On The Sabbath!!

Originally posted by classicman2
A rare Sunday session

Earlier in the day, Sen. Robert Byrd preached a 20-minute sermon on the evils of this violation of the Sabbath.

The Senate is considering the conference report on the transportation bill. It has been filibustered, led by Sen. Landrieu (D/LA). She objects to the house Republican leadership removing the reservist amendment that would permit employers to receive a tax incentive to maintain the full paycheck for their employees who are in the national guard or reserve and who have been called to active duty. The Repubs saw fit to give tax incentives to corporations doing business overseas, however.

The Senate invoked cloture, but Sen. Landrieu states she will continue to debate the issue on the floor of the Senate. Under the rules, if cloture is invoked, 30 additional hours of debate are allowed. Senators very rarely use this provision.

for Senator Landrieu.
even Jesus would agree that the Sabbath is on Saturday
Old 10-10-04, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Turd Ferguson
How dare Byrd try to force his personal religious views on others. Wait...he's a Democrat. It's cool.
Old 10-10-04, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Turd Ferguson
No, its not.
Old 10-10-04, 08:45 PM
Premium Member

Whats up? We have been missing you.
Old 10-10-04, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by bfrank
Whats up? We have been missing you.
Not much. You? I did find out we can buy marijuana seeds online. I was going to, but when I went to the sites there was like 30 different types. I was intimidated.
Old 10-10-04, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I dont role on Sabbath.
Old 10-11-04, 03:54 AM
Stealth Moderator

Re: Re: The United States Senate Is In Session On The Sabbath!!

Originally posted by al_bundy
even Jesus would agree that the Sabbath is on Saturday
Old 10-11-04, 04:29 AM
Suspended

Yeah I tuned into CSPAN expecting watching some interview, instead I saw that the Senate was in session.

I liked how the last Senator to have the floor - rambled for like 5 minutes about the sacrifice of the security and others it took to have the Senate in session to come in on Saturday. When I have to hear person in charge say something like that, I always think *just shut up and move along with what we have to do* ....

Old 10-12-04, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/B?r108:@FIELD(FLD003+s)[email protected](DDATE+20041010)

I couldn't find anything from Byrd
Old 10-12-04, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

ah, it was on the 9th:

THE SABBATH -- (Senate - October 09, 2004)

Mr. BYRD. Mr. President, I am not going to show any disrespect for the distinguished leader, majority leader, who is talking right now, so I will wait until he is finished.

I was saying, I thank the distinguished majority leader for listening to what I am saying. I will be brief. I am not sure I will use 5 minutes.

Mr. President, in my office hangs the Ten Commandments. We have heard a lot about the Ten Commandments in recent years. I believe in the Ten Commandments. I believe we ought to respect those commandments, one of which says:

Remember the Sabbath Day, to keep it holy.

I am not saying I am a good man. My Bible says that no man is good. No man is good. But I think we ought to show some respect to those Christians in the body, and in our country, and many people who are not Christians, our Jewish friends, who believe in the Ten Commandments. As a matter of fact, the Ten Commandments originate, as we know, at the time when Moses went up on Mount Sinai and was given the tablets by God himself, by the Almighty himself. So we believe that.

I am a Christian. I may not be the best one around. I don't claim to be. But I do claim to be a Christian. I believe that way, and I believe that we ought to observe the Ten Commandments. I think that this body, as the greatest legislative body in the world, together with the other body, in particular should set an example of respecting the various religions that make up our Nation. That is why I take the floor today.

I think we are setting a bad example. I don't think we are showing proper respect to Christians in our country, and all over the world, for that matter, by publicly failing to observe that Commandment, that we keep the Sabbath Day holy and remember it.

I want to say I am protesting the fact that we are going to have a vote on tomorrow. I told my leadership I had hoped we wouldn't have votes on tomorrow. I also offered to say, Well, it is fine to have votes after sundown. The old Sabbath ran until sundown. Let's have any votes after sundown. If we have to have votes, let's have them after sundown. I asked my leaders to consider that. They did, and for various reasons they decided not to--that we had to have the vote.

I have to say as majority leader, when I was majority leader, I could have easily put this vote over to Monday simply by adjourning and not coming in tomorrow--which I would do, in this case. If this were an emergency, if something suddenly came up and it was a dire emergency, of course. You know the Bible says the ox may be in the ditch and we have to get it out of the ditch. But the ox is not in the ditch here. We have wasted a lot of time this year, and recently. We waste a lot of time. We are not in session when we could be in session. Then all of a sudden, here we are going to have this vote on Sunday. There are practicing Christians who like to go to church and want to observe this commandment.

So I say of course I will be in to vote. I have cast more rollcall votes than any other Senator in the history of the country. I guess I will not miss this one. But I am protesting. It could have been otherwise. It didn't have to be. It didn't have to happen tomorrow. We could have had it earlier. We jam these. We have a way around here in the Senate lately of jamming. The leadership on the other side--I have to say the Republicans are in control of the body--they have a way of jamming us. Maybe we are all at fault a little bit. But there is no reason why we should have to come in on a Sunday, on the Sabbath, and have rollcall votes. I protest it today.

I hope it won't be done again after this year. I hope I will still be living and still be serving in the body.

I hope leadership will take this into consideration in the future and get our work done before the Sabbath comes and avoid having meetings on the Sabbath Day. It just isn't necessary. It is not a dire emergency. If it were, as I said, and the ox were in the ditch, I would say let us get it out and let us go in and vote. If it is important to the safety of the Nation, to the safety of the American people, or whatever, dire, we have to do it, of course. I think the Almighty would waive the Commandment as far as that is concerned. I understand we have duties, but I don't think it has to be done now.
I want to complain about the way we have done the business of the Senate--lagged along and dragged along and come in and have voting sessions on late Tuesday or Wednesday or Thursday, and we go out on Friday. We don't come in until Monday late. There are all kinds of reasons which I will bring up at another time perhaps and talk again about it.

I am not thinking at this point that we are going to be able to waive this unless the majority leader will be of a mind to put this vote over until Monday.

May I have 1 more minute, please.

The PRESIDING OFFICER. Is there objection?

Without objection, it is so ordered.

Mr. BYRD. Mr. President, I don't see why we can't have the vote today, or if not today, move it over until Monday. That could be done. The majority leader can easily do this, no question about it. I could do it when I was majority leader. I respect the majority leader, and I respect his doing whatever he has to do, but I am saying that a stitch in time would save nine.

As one Senator, I say that we should uphold the Commandments. I have always felt that side of the aisle and this side of the aisle are highly observant of the 10 Commandments and make a big to-do about religion in this country. Why don't we have a little religion here today and put this vote over from tomorrow and not come in on Sunday? Can't we do that?

I thank the Senators for allowing me to say these few words. I thank them. I will take my seat.
Old 10-12-04, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk God

The above is not the full context of Byrd's 'speech' (sermon).

He read from the Old Testament.

Nearly always - the official journal of the proceedings differs from what actually transpired on the floor of the Senate. The Senator has the right (his staff actually does it) to revise the remarks that he/she made on the floor. This revision is what you actually see in the record.