Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Third party candidates arrested at debate

Old 10-09-04, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Third party candidates arrested at debate

http://badnarik.org/newsfromthetrail.php?p=1346

Found out about this on http://slashdot.org
Old 10-09-04, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Interesting. If third-party candidates were allowed into debates, I wonder what sort of criteria the debate committee would use? They obviously will have to be forced to do so.
Old 10-09-04, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What legal standing would the 3rd party candidates have to be allowed into the debates? I don't think they are official government functions.
Old 10-09-04, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by wmansir
What legal standing would the 3rd party candidates have to be allowed into the debates? I don't think they are official government functions.
I think there's some sort of governmental committee, of course it's controlled by the big 2 parties. kvrdave in another thread said that in order for a candidate to e considered for the debate he needs > 15% (i think)

birrman54
Old 10-10-04, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Birrman54
I think there's some sort of governmental committee, of course it's controlled by the big 2 parties. kvrdave in another thread said that in order for a candidate to e considered for the debate he needs > 15% (i think)

birrman54
I believe that's the standard set by the debate committee. If I understood that link correctly, they get their funding from public sources, so technically they could be forced to allow third-party candidates into the debates. I don't know much about the legalities of all this, though.
Old 10-10-04, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not sure they get public money at all.

From this anti-debate commission article:

Corporations pay the commission's bills, led by Anheuser Busch Inc. buying its own debate $550,000 for exclusive sponsorship of the upcoming commission event in St. Louis.
I found several other sources which say the commission is a non-profit corp funded by large corporations.

Here's a recent lawsuit press release on the issue (I don't know if this is the same one mentioned in the original article):
The suit argues that the CPD is partisan and, under federal law, should not be allowed to use large sums of corporate funding to benefit Democratic and Republican parties and candidates.
I don't think their standing is from funding, but perhaps the FEC regulations give the CPD special rights, which could give them standing.