Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Would a Bush Re-election & a Democratic Congress Be the Best of All Worlds?

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 09-25-04, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I realize that there is precious little chance that the Democrats will gain control of the congress. There's actually very little chance that they will get control of either house, but one can hope, can't one?

With a Democratic Congress, just possibly, some fiscal sanity can be returned to our national government. One thing is for certain -there would no more of these across-the-board tax cuts that primarily benefit the wealthy. There's even a possibility that there might be targetted tax cuts for folks that really need them. Then there would be real stimulation of the economy. The people who got the tax cuts would spend them.

Bush's war would still be funded.

What do you think?

Last edited by classicman2; 09-25-04 at 10:38 AM.
Old 09-25-04, 10:35 AM

Received 141 Likes on 97 Posts
Old 09-25-04, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
No, that would be terrible.

The Democrats want to draft everybody and Bush would keep finding wars to use them up.

Besides, there'd be the whole "high taxes" thing.
Old 09-25-04, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk God

The Democratic Congress will most assuredly pass bills to raise taxes on the wealthy (it might past the senate), but you know George will always look after the rich. He'd veto them for sure.
Old 09-25-04, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Unfortunately, George has never vetoed a bill. I know from the wink how well aware of that you are.

If you guys had picked someone other than Kerry, I might have said a Democratic President and Republican Congress wouldn't be the end of civilization as we know it, but now I'm not sure.
Old 09-25-04, 11:36 AM
Returning banned

In terms of fiscal responsibility, the Republicans are a disgrace. The Bush tax cuts are really deferred tax increases.
Old 09-25-04, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Jergen
In terms of fiscal responsibility, the Republicans are a disgrace. The Bush tax cuts are really deferred tax increases.
According to Alan Greenspan, those tax cuts kept us out of economic disaster - possibly even a depression - in which case they've already paid for themselves in the revenue we would've lost over and over and over.
Old 09-25-04, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk God

Old 09-25-04, 11:51 AM
Returning banned

Originally posted by natesfortune
According to Alan Greenspan, those tax cuts kept us out of economic disaster - possibly even a depression - in which case they've already paid for themselves in the revenue we would've lost over and over and over.
You know that they can't keep up this level of tax cut and spending. Something's gotta give.
Old 09-25-04, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk God

nate,

What are you going to say when the real deficit is over 1 trillion dollars - it's fast approaching?

Are you going to quote Greenspan again, and tell us how the Bush tax cuts kept us out of a depression.

Old 09-25-04, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk God

How much has health insurance premiums gone up since Bush took office?

35%??

Of course when you're in the hip pocket of the drug manufacturing companies, the insurance companies, & the HMOs - what would you expect?

What about the COL?
Old 09-25-04, 12:02 PM
Returning banned

Originally posted by classicman2
nate,

What are you going to say when the real deficit is over 1 trillion dollars - it's fast approaching?

Are you going to quote Greenspan again, and tell us how the Bush tax cuts kept us out of a depression.

classicman, don't forget about our current account deficit where foreigners are holding our securities. What happens if they stop giving us loans or want their money back? The value of the dollar will drop, interest rates will go up, we'll have an economic disaster.
Old 09-25-04, 03:06 PM
Admin

Received 298 Likes on 192 Posts
A Republican President and a Democratic Congress would certainly be better than the current situation. Plus, I think the whining factor would go down a bit with the Dems in some sort of power position.
Old 09-25-04, 04:12 PM

Received 141 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally posted by Jergen
classicman, don't forget about our current account deficit where foreigners are holding our securities. What happens if they stop giving us loans or want their money back? The value of the dollar will drop, interest rates will go up, we'll have an economic disaster.

They can't.
Old 09-25-04, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by VinVega
A Republican President and a Democratic Congress would certainly be better than the current situation. Plus, I think the whining factor would go down a bit with the Dems in some sort of power position.
The Republicans whined when they were in the majority and Clinton was in the White House.
Old 09-25-04, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Would a Bush Re-election & a Democratic Congress Be the Best of All Worlds?

With a Democratic Congress, just possibly, some fiscal sanity can be returned to our national government. One thing is for certain -there would no more of these across-the-board tax cuts that primarily benefit the wealthy. There's even a possibility that there might be targetted tax cuts for folks that really need them. Then there would be real stimulation of the economy. The people who got the tax cuts would spend them.
Do you realize that:

The top 5% of wage earners pay about 53% of all federal taxes.

The top 10% pay about 65% of all federal taxes.

The top 20% pay about 83% of all federal taxes.

The top 50% pay about 96% of all federal taxes.

I guess we could eliminate all federal taxes for the bottom 50% of wage earners, but that is only 4% of all federal tax revenue. I doubt this would do much to "stimulate" the economy though.

This is what irks me when democrats talk about tax cuts favoring the rich. OF COURSE THEY DO! THE RICH ARE THE ONLY ONES WHO PAY TAXES.

Maybe we should just eliminate all taxes and let Bill Gates and Teresa Heinz Kerry pick up the tab...
Old 09-25-04, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Re: Would a Bush Re-election & a Democratic Congress Be the Best of All Worlds?

Originally posted by Snowball
Do you realize that:

The top 5% of wage earners pay about 53% of all federal taxes.

The top 10% pay about 65% of all federal taxes.

The top 20% pay about 83% of all federal taxes.

The top 50% pay about 96% of all federal taxes.

I guess we could eliminate all federal taxes for the bottom 50% of wage earners, but that is only 4% of all federal tax revenue. I doubt this would do much to "stimulate" the economy though.

This is what irks me when democrats talk about tax cuts favoring the rich. OF COURSE THEY DO! THE RICH ARE THE ONLY ONES WHO PAY TAXES.

Maybe we should just eliminate all taxes and let Bill Gates and Teresa Heinz Kerry pick up the tab...
Did you know that 5% of the country has 59.4% of the money?

The top 10% has 70.9% of the money

The top 20% has 84.4% of the money

The bottom 40% has .2% of the money

I guess that's enough of that discussion. Next?
Old 09-25-04, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What do you mean by "has X% of the money"? Is that by assets or earnings per year?
Old 09-25-04, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Re: Re: Would a Bush Re-election & a Democratic Congress Be the Best of All Worlds?

Originally posted by Tsar Chasm
Did you know that 5% of the country has 59.4% of the money?

The top 10% has 70.9% of the money

The top 20% has 84.4% of the money

The bottom 40% has .2% of the money

I guess that's enough of that discussion. Next?
My point exactly.

So can the democrats please stop complaining that the tax cuts favor the rich and this is somehow wrong? Of course they favor the rich. The rich are the only ones who pay taxes.

You can't have any decent sized tax cut to stimulate the economy without somehow "cutting taxes on the rich".
Old 09-25-04, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by wmansir
What do you mean by "has X% of the money"? Is that by assets or earnings per year?
Wealth distribution
Old 09-25-04, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Re: Re: Re: Would a Bush Re-election & a Democratic Congress Be the Best of All Worlds?

Originally posted by Snowball
My point exactly.

So can the democrats please stop complaining that the tax cuts favor the rich and this is somehow wrong? Of course they favor the rich. The rich are the only ones who pay taxes.

You can't have any decent sized tax cut to stimulate the economy without somehow "cutting taxes on the rich".
The issue with that is those with less will spend more than the top 10%. In order to "stimulate" the economy, you need people that are willing to spend rather than acquire and hold their money. To give a billionaire 100 million dollars, the billionaire will hold that 100 million dollars. To give 1,000 dollars to a family earning 50,000, you can bet that they will turn that 1,000 back into the economy. The Bush tax cuts for the wealthy merely spurred on the continuing trend of the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer. This isn't perception, it is fact. The numbers speak for themselves.
Old 09-25-04, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Would a Bush Re-election & a Democratic Congress Be the Best of All Worlds?

Originally posted by Tsar Chasm
The issue with that is those with less will spend more than the top 10%. In order to "stimulate" the economy, you need people that are willing to spend rather than acquire and hold their money. To give a billionaire 100 million dollars, the billionaire will hold that 100 million dollars. To give 1,000 dollars to a family earning 50,000, you can bet that they will turn that 1,000 back into the economy. The Bush tax cuts for the wealthy merely spurred on the continuing trend of the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer. This isn't perception, it is fact. The numbers speak for themselves.
If we eliminated all federal taxes for the bottom 50% and then raised the rates on the top 20% by whatever is needed to offset the balance (probably less than 0.5%), would this address all your issues? I think this "rich getting richer" trend would still continue.
Old 09-25-04, 08:24 PM
Admin

Received 298 Likes on 192 Posts
The Republicans whined when they were in the majority and Clinton was in the White House.
Well, actually, they used their new found power to keep a special prosecutor running against Clinton 24-7 for nearly all of his term. I don't think they're whiners, but they do hold grudges for a loooooong time. You know Elephants have long memories.
Old 09-25-04, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think anything would ever get done. Look at when the Republicans controlled Congress while Clinton was President; they were at odds with each other and Clinton's programs were quite retarded.

(See what I did there? That last line will keep everyone happy!)
Old 09-25-04, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
I don't think anything would ever get done.
Sounds like the reason I'm in favor of such a situation.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.