Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Dole Hits Kerry for War Comments

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 08-23-04, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Associated Press:

CRAWFORD, Texas Former Republican Sen. Bob Dole suggested Sunday that John Kerry apologize for past testimony before Congress about alleged atrocities during the Vietnam War and joined critics of the Democratic presidential candidate who say he received an early exit from combat for "superficial wounds."

Dole also called on Kerry to release all the records of his service in Vietnam.

Dole told CNN's "Late Edition" that he warned Kerry months ago about going "too far" and that the Democrat may have himself to blame for the current situation, in which polls show him losing support among veterans.

"One day he's saying that we were shooting civilians, cutting off their ears, cutting off their heads, throwing away his medals or his ribbons," Dole said. "The next day he's standing there, 'I want to be president because I'm a Vietnam veteran. "Maybe he should apologize to all the other 2.5 million veterans who served. He wasn't the only one in Vietnam," said Dole, whose World War II wounds left him without the use of his right arm.

Dole added: "And here's, you know, a good guy, a good friend. I respect his record. But three Purple Hearts and never bled that I know of. I mean, they're all superficial wounds. Three Purple Hearts and you're out."
Old 08-23-04, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts
The ABB crowd will have a hard time saying Dole isn't qualified to hold this opinion.
Old 08-23-04, 09:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Turd Ferguson
The ABB crowd will have a hard time saying Dole isn't qualified to hold this opinion.
Like such things as qualifications are ever considered when criticizing someone based on a political argument
Old 08-23-04, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk God

You underestimate the ABB crowd.
Old 08-23-04, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"And here's, you know, a good guy, a good friend. I respect his record. But three Purple Hearts and never bled that I know of. I mean, they're all superficial wounds. Three Purple Hearts and you're out."
If you have shrapnel in your leg, wouldn't it have caused a wound to get in there? Wouldn't this logically cause a person to bleed?

One word, Dole. ASSHAT.
Old 08-23-04, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well Dole didn't go to Vietnam so he isn't qualified to judge Kerry.

Also, Dole wasn't on Kerry's boat so he isn't qualified.
Old 08-23-04, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by CRM114
If you have shrapnel in your leg, wouldn't it have caused a wound to get in there? Wouldn't this logically cause a person to bleed?

One word, Dole. ASSHAT.
One simple question: If Kerry saw these atrocities being committed, why didn't he report them? It was his obligation (duty) to do so under the UCMJ, Geneva Convention, etc.

Therefore, it's reasonable to assume that Kerry either violated the military law (UCMJ) or that he's lying about what he claimed to have saw. Wouldn't you agree?
Old 08-23-04, 09:27 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 330 Likes on 203 Posts
Originally posted by classicman2
One simple question: If Kerry saw these atrocities being committed, why didn't he report them? It was his obligation (duty) to do so under the UCMJ, Geneva Convention, etc.

Dude. He was there for only four months. You can't expect him to fill out all that paperwork for his medals AND the paperwork required to report atrocities.
Old 08-23-04, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Therefore, it's reasonable to assume that Kerry either violated the military law (UCMJ) or that he's lying about what he claimed to have saw. Wouldn't you agree?
From Kerry's testimony:

<b>I would like to talk, representing all those veterans, and say that several months ago in Detroit, <u>we had an investigation at which over 150 honorably discharged and many very highly decorated veterans testified to war crimes committed in Southeast Asia</u>, not isolated incidents but crimes committed on a day-to-day basis with the full awareness of officers at all levels of command....

<u>They told the stories</u> at times they had personally raped, cut off ears, cut off heads, taped wires from portable telephones to human genitals and turned up the power, cut off limbs, blown up bodies, randomly shot at civilians, razed villages in fashion reminiscent of Genghis Khan, shot cattle and dogs for fun, poisoned food stocks, and generally ravaged the countryside of South Vietnam in addition to the normal ravage of war, and the normal and very particular ravaging which is done by the applied bombing power of this country.</b>

He did not say that he had personally witnessed these events.
Old 08-23-04, 09:46 AM

Dole is VERY OLD. Rove and others got to him. Imagine your grandpa in his 80s. Mine said crazy things, but there was no camera. Dole said that Kerry received "2 purple hearts on the same day".
That isn't true at all and shows how far off Dole is off on this one. You must know the facts before you begin to criticize.
Old 08-23-04, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
And the Bush Above All crowd will sprain their shoulders patting themselves on the back.
Old 08-23-04, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

April 18, 1971
MR. CROSBY NOYES (Washington Evening Star): Mr. Kerry, you said at one time or another that you think our policies in Vietnam are tantamount to genocide and that the responsibility lies at all chains of command over there. Do you consider that you personally as a Naval officer committed atrocities in Vietnam or crimes punishable by law in this country?

SEN. KERRY: There are all kinds of atrocities, and I would have to say that, yes, yes, I committed the same kind of atrocities as thousands of other soldiers have committed in that I took part in shootings in free fire zones. I conducted harassment and interdiction fire. I used 50 calibre machine guns, which we were granted and ordered to use, which were our only weapon against people. I took part in search and destroy missions, in the burning of villages. All of this is contrary to the laws of warfare, all of this is contrary to the Geneva Conventions and all of this is ordered as a matter of written established policy by the government of the United States from the top down. And I believe that the men who designed these, the men who designed the free fire zone, the men who ordered us, the men who signed off the air raid strike areas, I think these men, by the letter of the law, the same letter of the law that tried Lieutenant Calley, are war criminals.
Old 08-23-04, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by Bandomini
Dude. He was there for only four months. You can't expect him to fill out all that paperwork for his medals AND the paperwork required to report atrocities.
Thanks. My keyboard needed some coffee to "tune it up."
Old 08-23-04, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by johnglad
Dole is VERY OLD. Rove and others got to him. Imagine your grandpa in his 80s. Mine said crazy things, but there was no camera. Dole said that Kerry received "2 purple hearts on the same day".
That isn't true at all and shows how far off Dole is off on this one. You must know the facts before you begin to criticize.
Interesting. Bob Dole is 81. Jimmy Carter will be 80 this Fall, but I don't see anyone pulling the senility card on him whenever he weighs in on current events.
Old 08-23-04, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 107 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally posted by Bandomini

Anyhow: Is it the end of November yet? [/wishful thinking]
Old 08-23-04, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by tcoursen
Well Dole didn't go to Vietnam so he isn't qualified to judge Kerry.

Also, Dole wasn't on Kerry's boat so he isn't qualified.
This is not suprising. Kerry doesn't even think the Pope is qualified to judge his Catholicism.
Old 08-23-04, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by CRM114

One word, Dole. ASSHAT.
If only there were some way to clear up the record....perhaps if someone had kept medical records while Kerry was in the military. Oh, if only....

But I am quite sure you and I both know that the release of these records would do Kerry nothing but harm
Old 08-23-04, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Dole Hits Kerry for War Comments

"One day he's saying that we were shooting civilians, cutting off their ears, cutting off their heads, throwing away his medals or his ribbons," Dole said. "The next day he's standing there, 'I want to be president because I'm a Vietnam veteran. "
Somebody really needs to fill Dole in on the timeline.
Old 08-23-04, 10:24 AM
Banned

Originally posted by JasonF
And the Bush Above All crowd will sprain their shoulders patting themselves on the back.
Bush Above All = BAA

You wouldn't be implying anthing here, would you?
Old 08-23-04, 10:24 AM

Someone really needs to fill Numanoid in on the use of colloquialisms
Old 08-23-04, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Re: Dole Hits Kerry for War Comments

Originally posted by Numanoid
Somebody really needs to fill Dole in on the timeline.
Somebody really need to fill Kerry in on the timeline dealing with Cambodia.
Old 08-23-04, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by bcbaum
Bush Above All = BAA

You wouldn't be implying anthing here, would you?
Me? Imply something? Never.

The right came up with a dismissive acronym for the people who want to get Bush out of office. I thought it was time the left had a similar and equally dismissive acronym for the people who refuse to find any fault in Bush or the current administration. I'm hoping it catches on.
Old 08-23-04, 10:31 AM

The right came up with a dismissive acronym for the people who want to get Bush out of office.
The right? I thought ABB came from the left? Atleast the first time I heard it used (I think around here but don't quote me on that) it was used by those who did really want Anybody But Bush.
Old 08-23-04, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I thought it was how Deaners decided Kerry was acceptable if Dean couldn't get the nomination.

But I thought, BAA was reasonably funny and "acceptable."
Old 08-23-04, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by OldDude
I thought it was how Deaners decided Kerry was <s>acceptable</s> barely tolerable if Dean couldn't get the nomination.
The Deaners were spewing venom when it bacame apparent that Dean was not going to get the nomination and it was likely to go to Kerry.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.